- Text Size +

1 Hour Later
Charity Event stop before the prison

"How's everyone doin tonight?"

Shifting in my seat, I smiled and glanced around at the large crowd of children surrounded by parents, friends, brothers, sisters, guardians and I felt a surge of pride seeing the smiles on their faces.

He had done this.  He had made this happen for them.

Turning back towards the stage, Michael's mocha brown eyes twinkled happily as he spun around and lowered his head to begin the first song.

Even with the mess Michael and I had been through the last few years...the experiences we had shared didn't even compare to the pain, the heartache the families in the room had seen.

It was a good reminder before going to the prison. 

My heart swelling with pride, I turned my head and saw a little girl wrapped up in her moms arms.  Beaming brilliantly, the little girls light green eyes sparkled against the pale complexion and bright pink bandana covering her head.

So frail and thin, her arms looked like twigs beneath her light yellow shirt and bright pink tutu.  I studied her, trying to picture the little girl with light blonde curls trailing down her back and a rosy hue to her cheeks. But i couldn't.  The only glow was in her eyes when she was looking at Michael.

I hope he realized the impact he was making.

Glancing back towards the stage, I glanced up at Michael and smiled seeing him crouched at the edge of the stage holding a child's hand.

Moments like this made me realize how great of a father Michael would make someday, and how much I wanted to make him one.  With Michael, I wasn't attracted to the power, the wealth, the fame.  The Michael that poured himself into the needs of others...that's the guy I was crazy about.

Although...

I also didn't mind the fact that he was crazy gorgeous.

Even in his stage costume from the last tour, Michael looked gorgeous performing and i soaked him in, admiring the thick belt around his narrow hips and the dark curls brushing his shoulders.

"Go girl!"

Lord have mercy.  Way to ruin a moment.

Natalie pranced onstage, the music cued moments ago for The Way You Make Me Feel and I folded my arms across my chest and bore holes into her head.


Her efforts to steal Michael had been a heck of a lot worse since I had been back in the picture.  And let me tell you, it was getting old.

Fast.


Sighing in resignation, I slipped my foot back into my sandal and closed my eyes until the music ended.  Forcing my thoughts to drift I let my thoughts move to Janet.  Wondering if she'd talked to the lawyer I mentally reminded myself to call her once we got out of here.

"Excuse me...Lexi?"

An urgent forceful whisper pulled me out of my thoughts.  Blinking, I let my eyes come into focus and was surprised when i saw who was speaking.


"...Chris?"

"We need to talk."