- Text Size +

 

2 Weeks Later
Janet's Home

"Have you LOST YOUR MIND? NO.  I TOLD YOU THAT PAYMENT WAS- DON'T YOU HANG UP ON ME! NO....TONY DON'T YOU"

At Janet's spending the afternoon, we were curled up in the living room watching a movie.  Michael busy working in the studio I had spent quite a bit of time over here lately and probably would in the coming months when Michael had to do some traveling.

Sunny and intimate, the room was decorated in blues and light creams.  Large beach photos and vacation mementos were hung on the walls everywhere-including a large tan beach net sprawled behind the flat screen televison, and a thick blue rug was sprawled on the floor beneath us. Being at Janet's felt almost like being at home.

  Here this morning we had been attempting a girl's night and everything had been fine until about thirty minutes ago when Tony had finally called back to respond to about a half dozen messages Janet had left for him this week. Now, sunk into Janet's soft white couch everything felt like chaos and our girls morning in had been interrupted, rather albruptly, as Janet bickered on Nahla's behalf to her dead beat dad.


Resisting the urge to rolls my eyes I shifted against the couch and felt the soft cotton of my red cable knit sweater against my chin as I locked my arms around my waist and tried to keep focused on the screen in front of me.

"Is mommy fighting with daddy again?"

The air conditioning kicked on, and the whirl of the a/c sounded in the room as I heard Nahla's question beside me.  Not sure what to say to provide comfort I shifted slightly and looked down. The dim lights of the television flickered, a hue of colors from the moving pictures on the screen lighting her face and my heart ached, seeing the confusion and frustration in her eyes. Soft whips of hair fell against her cheeks.  Leaning down to brush a kiss on her forehead I worded what I needed to say carefully.

"No sweetie...she's just"

"TONY THAT'S NO EXCUSE! SHE'S STILL YOURS AND YOU NEED TO AT LEAST SLIGHTLY.....SLIGHTLY SHOW HER THAT YOU CARE. THAT YOUR NOT A POMPOUS A...APPLE."

Gritting my teeth I looked over Nahlas head to Janet, and glared.

"Janet..."I warned in a hiss. 

Oblivious, Janet's arms flew in the air and the television hummed in the distance as Nahla's tiny cool fingers slid against my palm and squeezed gently.

"Aunt Lexi..."

Heartbroken, I looked down into her light blue eyes and I shrugged, mentally resisting the urge to toss her in the car and buy her anything and everything she wanted.  Now, seeing the frustration in her crinkled brow puckered lips would definitely be the time for her to cash in.

"Your daddy loves you kiddo."

"But not QUITE as much as your uncle Mike."

Startled, I jumped and looked back to see Michael standing in the doorway staring down at us.  

Excited, Nahla squealed loudly and jumped off the couch.

Michael's face was tired, small wisps of black hair falling in his eyes and his back was slung haphazardly over his shoulder from earlier this afternoon.

"TONY I SWEAR TO GO....GOSH."

Rolling my eyes, I ignored it this time when Janet almost slipped up and cussed in front of Nahla.  

I was getting annoyed  But still...Tony was just.

Difficult.  He was difficult.

Definitely a master at bringing out the worst in people.

"Uncle Mike....Your stinky."

Hearing her disgust, I coughed into my hand to avoid from laughing as she hopped back from him, nose crinkled.

"Did you even BATHE uncle Mike??? I have some bubbles I can give you."

"You little..."

Peels of laughter sounded as Michael bent down, clutched Nahla, and tossed her up close to his chest. 

Giggling, Michael showed no mercy tickling her.

"So.  Have you been keeping Aunt Lexi in line?"

Giving Michael an indignant glare I tossed a pillow at him.

"At least I'm manageable..." I giggled, seeing the pillow land directly against Michael's face.  "Now others in this room..."

Michael stopped talking Nahla and hauled the pillow back in my direction. "Do you see the way she talks to me?"

Michael's tone loud and disbelieving, Nahla's sparkly pink nail polish glimmered in the light as she rested a hand on her hip and cocked her head to the side.

"Nope. She's right."

Grinning victoriously I motioned for Nahala to come back over and sit in my lap. "Look at that. So loyal to her Aunt Lexi."

"Uh huh."

Tossing my hair over my shoulder, I smiled when Nahla ran back across the room and hopped up next to me. "What are you doing here anyway?"


Michael's eyes flickered, and setting down his bag he hesitantly glanced in Nahla's direction. "Lex...I think I've finally found enough time to..."

My breath catching in my throat, I felt the implication wash over me like a violent wave.

"Today? You mean after your benefit concert?"

Michael shook his head affirmatively.  "But you might as well just come with me now."
 

I had been the one to push for this.  With Michael...with Frank.  But even so.

I couldn't imagine how this would turn out.  Meeting my attacker..stalker.  I had almost died and about six months ago the nightmares had finally ceased.

So why was I opening up this can of worms now?

Because something just didn't feel right. And I seriously needed closure.


"Okay..."

Tenderness creeped into his eyes, and closing the distance between us Michael stepped behind the couch and wrapped his arms around my shoulders.


I didn't face things this difficult head on, and I DEFINETLY had no desire to start now.  I hadn't seen my dad, or my mom since being removed from their home because running from my emotions was so much easier.  But I knew I had too.

"Lex...baby I'll be there the entire time."

Drawing my strength from Michael I breathed in deeply and closed my eyes.


"Okay."