- Text Size +

1 Month Later

Friends. Michael and I were friends.

And yet...

Knowing that I still wanted to ring Lindsey's pretty little neck every time I saw Michael's video for Keep It In The Closet. The first day of shooting had been my last, since I had stuck with my decision to audition for Sony and perform my tracks alone, and so it had been a complete shock for me to turn on the television a couple of weeks ago and see the porno-I mean video they had produced.

Thank God I didn't work for her anymore. I'd have committed homicide.

Blowing a breath between my teeth, I paced the small dressing room back and forth and I reached back to adjust the microphone that had been clipped to the waistband of my skirt.

How did Michael stand these things?  It was scratching my back and driving me insane.

The celery colored room was dimly lit since there were no windows and a small flat screen television on the wall played the end of Michael's video.   Hearing Lindsey's panting and Michael's line "If it's aching you have to rub it" I shot a nasty glare in the direction of the television and even though it made no sense, mentally dared Lindsey to rub any part of Michael's body.

Had I mentioned I was seriously glad I hadn't been there?

The last month had been a complete blur, and I hadn't seen Michael since the conversation we had at the video shoot.  Which... was probably a good thing. Since Michael had straightened his hair I wanted to jump him every time I saw his photo in a magazine.

 God only knows what i'd do in person.

I glanced up at the small silver clock on the wall and butterflies nervously flipped around in my stomach. Currently I was waiting to debut my first song and video on MTV and from what I could tell I was only moments away from them calling me out. Quickly I crossed the room to look in the small vanity mirror and I double checked my makeup. Satisfied that I looked as good as possible, I straightened and glanced over to the door.

Where was Frank?

Frank had completely hit the ceiling when he found out I was planning on performing the music myself and had quit Michael's service to work for me. I was thrilled...most of the time. Frank's overprotective nature seemed excessive at times but I was confident that he would keep me safe and it was a lot less awkward having someone I was really close to trailing me versus a stranger.

At times though...I would have given anything to have a bodyguard that cared just a little bit less. My first song hadn't even been released before today and already Frank had cranked up my security to an almost unbearable level.

At least thankfully I was still able to find some peace in the bathroom.

Releasing a sigh, my heart skipped a beat hearing a knock on the door across the room and I looked over hesitantly.

Was I ready for this?
__________________________________________________________________________________

"
I want you to know all of us are really excited to have you hear with us."

I nodded my head graciously and smiled. "Thank you."

"So this is your first single?"

Nodding my head, I glanced around the small studio and I tried to avoid eye contact with the crowd sitting on the bleachers to the left and right of me. A large floor to ceiling window behind me, I stepped a bit to my slight left and tried to avoid looking directly into the camera.

Which, by the way, was NOT a problem since I knew an enormous amount of people were tuned in behind the devilish looking thing. It was much easier to pretend I didn't know it was there.

"Can you tell us about it?"

Carson, the video jockey, held a microphone up to my mouth and hesitantly I stepped in closer so that I could be heard better.

"It's a really fun track. Very upbeat."

Carson nodded his head patiently and lifted his microphone back to himself.

"The track is called Good Girl. Tell us, does it have anything to do with your recent split from Michael Jackson?"

My eyes widened, and I forced myself to remain calm and not react.

"It's a song about protecting yourself from the wrong kind of guy..." I coughed, trying to avoid the question.  "I think mainly it's just really...fun."

Carson stared at me, and mentally I slapped myself for being so awkward.

Good job Lexi.  I'm sure it wasn't obvious at all that you dodged the question

"Well, let's take a look at the video "Good Girl" by Lexi Adams. You heard it first, here on TRL."



_____________________________________________________________________________

"Please tell me that song had nothing to do with me."

I hadn't been off the show for ten minutes when my cell phone had vibrated. Turning around so that the sound tech could pull all of my wires off I pressed the cell phone up closer to my ear.

"Lexi..."

Michael was freaking out about the single release, and honestly, it felt pretty good hearing the aggitation in his voice knowing that in the last few weeks he had been photographed left and right with Megan.

I mean...i knew what he had said about the lawyers and all of that.  But still.  

"It sucks, doesn't it?"  I retorted cheekily, stepping away when I was given the signal that I was clear to leave.  Heading to the back door where Frank was waiting on me I mouthed a thank you when someone quickly moved out of the way to let me through. 

"Now you know how i've felt the last few months seeing your name blowing up with accusations."  

I heard static on Michael's end, and someone trying to talk to him in the background.  I stopped, when I got to the back doors and Frank quickly shoved them open and lead me down the hallway to the back stairwell.  My heels clicking against the tile floor Frank slipped an arm around my waist and held me closer to him protectively.

"That...is entirely different.  Lexi you can't perform music about our breakup."

I shrugged my shoulders. ""Listen...I honestly didn't think people would connect it. But they did...and now your just going to have to deal with it."

Michael's sigh was long on the other end, and a bit of guilt prickled me.  Biting the inside of my cheek I halted by the exterior door as Frank stepped outside to make sure it was safe and I leaned up against the wall.

"I'm sorry, okay? I really didn't mean to hurt you."

Michael sighed again.  "I know.  Just, maybe next time at least warn me?"

Michael's tone softened, I knew that he had forgiven me and I smiled.  Keeping an eye on the door for when Frank came back in for me I turned and reached up to twirl a strand of hair.

"Listen...I was thinking. How would you feel about me flying in to see you next weekend?"

Michael had just started the first leg of his tour, and my mouth opened in surprise hearing his suggestion.  

"What?"

"Coming.  to SEE you. Next WEEKEND."

Michael's tone was laced with humor, and glanced down to the floor I slowly traced my finger along the wall.

"I don't know...do you think that's a good idea?"

Michael went silent on the other end for a moment.  "Lex...if we're going to try and be friends we need to try and spend some time together.  If we wait to long..."

Sighing, I knew he was right.

The longer we avoided being around each other the harder it was going to be to get back to normal. 

"Okay.  We can try it."

"Great.  I'll see you then."



Chapter End Notes:

Hey guys :)

The last chapter was pretty heavy, so I thought i would throw a lighter one up too for you guys.  Expect another update tomorrrow! 

<3 Leah