- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

3 Weeks Later

"Miss Adams..."

Standing in the dining room of Frank's condo, Frank was on duty with Michael's entourage and I had spent the entire morning working on finalizing some paperwork for the music Sony was purchasing from me.  The record company had decided to purchase the music for a new female artist they were signing.

Thanks to Michael... I thought wearily.  There was no telling how many strings he had pulled.  But I was trying not to focus on that.  I wanted to use the opportunity for a fresh start.

I worked my hands through my hair and pulled the long blonde strands up in a ponytail.  Turning around on my heel my dark brown UGG boots made a slight noise against the dark mahogany flooring and I looked over to Tori, the assistant the record label had sent over to go over everything.  Giving her a small smile I watched her push her blue rimmed glasses up her pale freckled nose.  Auburn curls bobbed as she peaked up at me from the desk.  Nodding her head in the direction of Frank's door Tori slid a paper to the edge of the table.

"The artist purchasing your music will be here momentarily.  She requested meeting you before finalizing the agreement."

Sun speckled through the large floor to ceiling windows in the dining room, and buildings in the distance glimmered in the sunlight.  The fragrance of the large wildflower bouquet Frank had sent me in celebration of finishing contract negotiations permeated the room from the center of the large oak table.  Reaching forward to pick up the card, my eyes widened in surprise hearing that they were sending over the celebrity that had agreed to purchase my music.  Momentarily forgetting the bouquet I glanced down at the desk to the paper she had slid over.  Biting my lower lip i nodded my head slowly and nervously picked up the document.

I could do this... I reminded myself. 

The hereby party agrees...

Quickly my eyes scanned over the document, and I fought the increasing tension rising in my chest.  Sliding my fingers over the stack of paper I furrowed my brow and looked back up to Tori.

"This says that i'm agreeing to exclusively write for the person i'm meeting."

Tori's eyed me hesitantly and nodded her head slowly.

"Yes...about that.."

A loud knock on the door interrupted our conversation.  Tori's eyes swung to the doorway, and curiously I watched a look of panic wash over her features. 

"She's here..." She whispered. 

What was up with her?

Shooting Tori an odd look I turned towards the entryway.  Take a few steps towards the door I reached down to turn the knob when the door swung open, smacking me in the face and knocking me back into the wall. 

Letting out a loud squeal in surprise, I tripped over a pair of Frank's loafers and ended up in a pile behind the large wooden door.

"Um, excuse me?"

 Throwing both of my hands on the floor to steady myself, I hoisted myself up and kicked the door closed.  Straightening my light peach jacket and brushing off my skinny jeans I looked up.  Standing a few feet away, a tall brunette glanced over in my direction.  Dressed in tight leather pants and a yellow tunic, long strands of hair fell over her bronzed shoulders as she eyed me critically. 

"Lori, you expect me to believe this girl dated Michael Jackson?"

And what was THAT supposed to mean?

"It's Tori."  Lori corrected her from behind us.

What exactly had Frank and Michael gotten me into?

Her tone full of contempt and disbelief, I forced myself not to react.  Raising my eyebrows in surprise I stepped towards her and was accosted by the scent of a heavy musk perfume.  Coughing slightly from the overwhelming scent, I forced myself to smile and extended my hand.

"Hi, i'm Lexi."

"Small little dump isn't it?" 

Immediately turning away from my hand and ignoring my greeting, the heels of her dark red stilettos ground against the floor as she turned on her heel and absorbed her surroundings.  A large white ostrich leather bag swung over her shoulder, she puckered her nose in disgust and waved her hand in front of her. 

"Eww, why are we meeting here Lori?"

I glanced over at Tori and saw her staring back over at us, cheeks flushed.   Not sure if it was from anger or fear, I took a step in Tori's direction and walked over to the table. 

"It's Tori..." Tori whispered again forcefully. 

Okay.  Definitely not fear.  Evidently I wasn't the only one that thought she was annoying.

Lindsey turned to look and looked over in our direction. "I'm waiting for an answer Lori."

Tori's face looked strained and she narrowed her eyes.  "Because...you...insisted.  And it's Tori."
 
Letting out a loud "Hmph", Tori and I watched her walk away from us and down the hall towards the living room.   Leaning slightly, I followed her with my eyes until she was out of sight.    

"Where is she even going?"  I asked, dumbfounded.

Tori shrugged her shoulders beside me and both of us continued staring in the direction she had gone. 

"What is this girl's name again?"

"Lindsey."

"...I thought she was a new artist."

Tori grimaced.  "She is."

"Then what is with the diva act?" 

Tori shrugged her shoulders again and I pulled out a chair and sat down next to her.  Crossing my legs under the table, both of us waited a few more minutes until Lindsey came back in the room.  Rolling her eyes impatiently, Lindsey reluctantly slid in a chair across from us and sat her purse down on the table beside her.  Drumming her long, french manicured nails on the table, Lindsey looked over to me and then back to Tori.

"Have you explained it to her?"

Tossing Tori a curious look, Tori shifted uncomfortably in her chair and kept her gaze down.

"No.."

Explained what?

Lindsey cleared her throat and I turned back to look at her. 

"You'll write exclusively for me, and will spend two weeks out of every month trailing me until the end of my first tour. I refuse to negotiate on either of those terms."

"What? That doesn't even make sense."

Lindsey's dark green eyes searched my face, seriously.  "It doesn't have to make sense, to you.  It's what I am requesting.  Either take it or leave it."

"I'll leave it."

There was no way I was spending two weeks a month with Godzilla.

Lindsey's eyes shot open wide in surprise, and Tori began sputtering in panic.  I shot a sympathetic look at Tori, realizing that my decision could possibly get her in trouble, and then looked over to Lindsey.

"Those terms are ridiculous."

"I'll pay you double."

My eyebrows rose in surprise.  "Excuse me?"

Lindsey stared at me cooly. Sliding her hands over to grab the contract in front Tori, Lindsey moved the contract in front of me. 

"I said...I'll pay you double. And living expenses."

Double pay and living expenses...was she kidding?

Running a hand through my hair in frustration, I blew a breath between my teeth and looked over to the entryway, conflicted. What was I supposed to do?  I definitely needed the money, and I felt guilty staying with Frank until I finished school.  This would help me gain my independence...but was it worth it?  Wasn't there some other way?

"I need time to think.  Can I step outside for a minute?"

Lindsey and Tori exchanged a look before Tori nodded her head.  Uncrossing my legs I got up from the table and walked into the entryway.  Quickly opening the door I made my way into the hallway and headed towards the elevator.  Tapping the down button, I waited a few minutes until the heavy metallic silver doors swung open and I stepped inside and pressed the lobby button.  I was relieved to see I was the only one inside.  Laying my head against the cool tan marble wall, I closed my eyes and tried to process my options until I heard the ding.  Straightening, I walked off the elevator and into the lobby.  Surprised, I saw Frank a couple of feet away walking in my direction.  Giving him a small wave, Frank's eyes widened seeing me and nervously he brought his hand up to his neck.   Shooting him an odd stare I walked over to where he was standing. 

"Hey, what are you doing here?"

Frank didn't answer me, and out of the corner of my eye I saw someone walk in behind him.  My heart stopped.

Michael.

Dressed in a pair of black leather pants and a matching jacket, Michael's eyes were hidden beneath a pair of dark rimmed sunglasses.  Curls framing his face and perfectly arched eyebrows, my knees weakened seeing him and I couldn't tear my eyes away from his face.

"Michael...?"

Michael spotted me just as the large glass door swung shut behind him. 

"Lexi...I'm sorry.  He was going to wait down here while I grabbed something from the condo..."

Frank's voice sounded apologetic, but I couldn't turn to look at him.  Seeing Michael brought back every emotion I had been trying to avoid and my heart pounded heavily in my chest.  Parting my lips slightly, I watched Michael struggle with his own emotions.  Furrowing his brow, Michael looked away from me down to the floor.

Was it crazy that I wanted to tell him how much I loved him?

 I was desperate to touch him, but the betrayal I felt made it impossible to breathe even standing this close to him.  Every moment I stood, it felt like a small part of me was dying inside knowing things couldn't be the same anymore.  It was so painful knowing you couldn't be with the one you loved.

Unless he was telling the truth.

Something inside me whispered the words and I longed to believe them.

"Will you guys be okay until I get back? ...Or Lele do you want to come back up with me?"

My thoughts turned back to Lindsey and I looked over at Frank and nodded my head no.  Searching my face to make sure I'd be okay, Frank hesitantly stepped away from us and headed towards the elevators. I turned back to look at Michael, and saw him staring back at me from underneath his sunglasses. 

Neither of us spoke.

I took in every curve of his face.  The slight tip of his nose, the high cheekbones.  My eyes roamed the slight dip in his chin and the slight curl that fell over his forehead and dangled over his sunglasses. Looking at the man I had loved deeper than any other I felt loneliness consume me.  Everything felt wrong without him.

"I miss you..."

Michael's words were barely higher than a whisper, but they broke me from my thoughts.  Parting his lips, Michael took a step towards me and I moved back. 

"Lexi..."  Michael's eyebrows lowered, and even with his sunglasses on I saw the pain etched in his features.  Unable to deal with it I looked away. 

"No." I whispered, shaking my head and looking at the floor. "Don't."

"I didn't do it."

Tears welled up in my eyes, and without a word I spun around on my heel and headed towards the elevator.

"Lexi, please come back."

Moving quickly, I quickly hit the button and walked into the elevator when the doors opened.  Turning around my eyes widened in surprise seeing Michael slide in just as the doors closed behind me.  I fumbled and quickly backed myself up into the corner.  Michael's gaze never left my face.  Walking over to the floor buttons Michael slammed his hand down on the stop button and walked over to where I was standing.  

"Michael...what are you doing?"

Michael purposefully walked over to where I was standing and stopped in front of me.  Searching my eyes for a moment Michael bent down and roughly grabbed me around the waist. The leather on his coat rubbed against my own, and I felt the bottom of my shirt slip above my stomach.  His fingers felt like electricity against my skin. Pressing his forehead against mine, I felt a chill shoot up my spine as I turned my head away from him and tried to get out of his grasp.

"Michael..." I begged weakly, feeling his breath against my ear. "please..."

Michael moved his head down and placed a soft kiss on my neck.  My legs buckled, and I turned to look at him.  Moving his lips inches from mine Michael parted his lips slightly and leaned in capturing my mouth in a kiss.  My resistance weakened, and for a brief moment everything felt normal.  Wrapping my arms around the back of his neck Michael deepened the kiss and pressed me up harder against the back of the elevator.  Wrapping my legs around his waist, Michael's hands gruffly lifted me up in his arms and I sighed blissfully.  Michael used the back of the elevator to balance me and moved his hands up my arms, my shoulders, to my neck.  Feeling his long warm fingers wrap themselves up in my hair I realized what I was doing and I broke the kiss, panting. 

Michael's eyes searched my face in confusion.  Shaking my head no again I quickly unwound my legs from around his waist and pushed against his chest for him to move back.  "I'm sorry-I just can't do this."

Letting out an aggravated growl, Michael ran a frustrated hand through his hair.

"Just look at the way I kiss you if you don't believe me.  Do you really think that was the kiss of a cheating jackass?"

"I don't know, I-"

I straightened my clothes and Michael swiftly took another step towards me and his eyes searched my face.  "I love you." He stated firmly, reaching forward again to touch my neck. "Not some other girl...not any other girl.  You.  Just you."    

Michael being so close to me made it impossible to think.  Needing to put some space between us I quickly darted away from him and hit the button to make the elevator start moving again. 

"Lexi..."

The elevator jerked.  Keeping my eyes trained forward I heard Michael slide his sunglasses on again behind me and straighten his jacket. 

"Lexi...please."

"I'm sorry...I just can't."

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hey Guys :)

I'm throwing this update up here really quickly.  We are getting hit with a really heavy ice storm where I live and I need to head out and get supplies!! Ahh! :)

I can't believe Christmas is around the corner!  Anyway :) I'm going to work on another chapter tonight so be ready for an update either later tonight or early tomorrow.  I want you guys to know how much it means to hear from all of you guys.  Seriously, it keeps me going! You guys are all amazing.  

Much <3

Leah