- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:



"Lexi.....please baby just talk to me."

Michael's tearfully please made it impossible to breath.  Clutching both edges of my suitcase my back was arched and I held on tightly, trying not to fall.  Long strands of my hair fell down both of my shoulders, and I felt my hair clinging against my wet cheeks.  Pressing my fingernails against the burlap material, I clenched my jaw and forced myself to stand.  Forced myself to not show him how truly broken I was. 

"Just...please."  Michael's pleas made the panic I was feeling intensify.  Closing my eyes I inhaled a deep breath and my throat burned as I tried to shove air into my lungs.  Michael standing only a few feet away, the smell of his cologne lingered in the room and was enough to make me feel like I was going to break down and cry again.  I couldn't let him see me like that right now.  He had lied to me...had cheated on me.  The only man I had ever trusted with my heart had completely trampled it.  I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of seeing me in pain.  Even if it hurt enough that I couldn't even look at him.

"Lexi..."  I could hear the tears in Michael's voice still and I pressed my palm against the suitcase zipper to try and drowned out some of the pain from hearing him like that.  Confusion enveloped me, and silently I wondered if I even knew him at all.  If I had ever known him.

How could he have done this?  How could he have risked everything that we had if he really cared?


It took everything I had in my not to collapse against the bed.  I needed to get out of here quickly.

Opening my eyes, I looked back down at the suitcase.  How was I going to finish packing? I couldn't focus.  Deciding that whatever I had managed to throw in there was going to have to do until I got settled I quickly zipped the suitcase and lifted it off the bed. 

"Lexi...please.  Where are you going to go?  We need to talk." 

I felt Michael's arms slide around me from behind and I jerked up from the suitcase.

Was he serious?  Did he think this was just going to go away if we talked about it and we'd be fine?  That he could talk to me softly and I'd forgive him for the betrayal and lies? If so, he had another thing coming.

Michael's touch unleashed a fire in me and my eyes flashing I quickly shoved him back away from me and reached up to wipe the tears from my face.   Michael stumbled backwards and stared at me, eyes wide in surprise.  The reaction seemed to throw him off balance for a moment and we both stood there, unmoving. 

"Why won't you talk to me..." 

Michael's words were broken, and it made me angry seeing the wounded look in his eyes.

"NO! You have NO RIGHT to cry."

Michael's lips parted slightly.  Reaching up to run a hand through his hair again Michael inhaled sharply and stepped forward to try and grab me again.

"No! Don't touch me!"

Michael ignored my command and reached forward anyway.  I tried to move to escape his grasp but he was too quick for me and I felt his hands clasp my waist tightly and felt my body collide up against his.  His warm strong arms wrapped around my waist and the sudden touch sent an unwanted wave of electricity coursing over me.  Shaking my head back and forth I continued to try and fight my way away from him but he was undeterred and held me tight, dodging my sudden movements.  The tears flowing down my cheeks intensified, feeling him so close, and harsh sobs erupted from my chest.

"Lexi...please..." He whispered softly, pressing his lips to my ear.  I pounded against his chest, desperate to move away from him, but it did no good and I gave up fighting and instead unleashed my rage on him.

"You LIED to me!" I screamed, sobbing. "You PROMISED nothing happened.  You acted like everything would be FINE! I TRUSTED YOU."

Michael's eyes were closed and his eyelashes glistened with tears.  Still, he refused to let go of me and remained silent while I continued.

"I gave EVERYTHING to you.  I gave you my whole heart.  EVERYTHING I had.  I even gave up my LIFE when that damn man was after me so YOU wouldn't get hurt and the entire time you were PLAYING me.  HOW COULD YOU!"

"I didn't do it..."

Michael's words were so soft, that it took me a moment to realize he had actually said anything.  Staring at him in disbelief my arms slipped down to my sides in surprise and I stared at him, startled.

"I'm sorry...what?"

Michael stood completely still.  Opening his eyes to look at me, Michael's eyes searched my face and he bit his lip before responding.

"I said...I didn't do it."

Un freaking believable.

"Are you kidding right now?"

Michael's eyes closed again hearing my angry retort and I shook my head in disbelief and looked over to the wall.  Hues of pink and orange danced through the large paned windows and I stared at them, shocked that I had been in the bathroom crying for so long before finally coming out to unpack. 

He must have sat out the door the entire time waiting for me to come out to talk knowing he would have to be up first thing this morning for the studio.  A small part of me felt a pang of sympathy for him but quickly I pushed it away and I looked back up at him. 


"You acted angry when I didn't believe you..."  My voice had taken on an eerie calm, one that I certainly didn't feel.  Michael's eyes opened and his left eyebrow arched in confusion for a moment as he tried to figure out the sudden change in me.  Looking down to his hands I placed my hands on top of his and gently forced him to break his grasp.  Taking a step back, Michael's hands slid down my hips and back to his side and I felt behind me and touched the bed as I stood, finishing my thought.

"And now...now that the DNA tests have CONFIRMED you lied to me you just expect me to believe you when you say you didn't do it?"   Tilting my head slightly, I swallowed back another wave of tears.  "And you think this is going to make things okay?"

I stared at Michael incredulously and watched him war within himself before speaking again.  "Lexi I'm telling you..." His eyes searched my face earnestly and he took a step towards me again   
"I DID NOT do this."

"STOP IT! STOP LYING TO ME!"

Michael's denial broke the eerie calm in my voice as suddenly as it had come on and I squared my shoulders and lifted a hand in front of me to keep him from coming towards me again. 

"I AM NOT LYING LEXI!" Michael's tone matched my own.  Crinkling his nose in disgust Michael looked to the wall and back at me, his eyes flashing this time.  Letting out a low growl Michael stepped back away from me and turned around on his heel.

"Did you ever stop to think you aren't the only VICTIM HERE?! I did NOTHING....NOTHING DAMNIT!"  Michael's fist quickly connected with the mirror on the vanity next to us and I watched him, shocked. 

Michael had never hit anything.  EVER. 

"Someone is setting me up!"

Michael's strong reaction confused me and I stood paralyzed trying to make sense of everything.  Blood gushed from Michael's fist and dripped to the floor.  Even as mad as I was I couldn't stand there and watch him bleeding.  Slowly I turned and unzipped my suitcase.  Pulling out a white cotton t-shirt I had tucked underneath my jeans I shut the suitcase and turned back around to look at Michael.  Strands of hair fell down both sides of his face, and Michael had lifted his arms to both sides of his head and was leaning against the wood on the vanity.  Taking a step towards him I felt glass crunch beneath my shoe and without a word I walked around to face him.  Michael's eyes were hidden beneath his hand and gently I tugged his injured hand towards me.  Michael's fingers felt soft against my fingertips and the sight of the hands that had spent so much time caressing my skin bleeding extinguished some of my rage and brought my grief to the surface again. I looked up at his face for a moment, and my breath hitched seeing his pale face and tear stained eyes.  A mired of emotions rolled inside me, and trying to keep my hands steady I ran a hand along his arm and quickly wrapped the shirt around his fist.

"You shouldn't have done that..." I whispered, swallowing.  "You could have seriously hurt yourself."

"Lexi..."

The anger was drained out of his voice but I kept my eyes down, avoiding the piercing gaze I knew he would be giving me.

"I'm telling you....I didn't do this."

His voice broke off and my eyes flashed back to him, intently waiting for his next words.  While I waited I tucked the shirt in a knot so that it wouldn't come off and took a step back.  Running a hand through my hair I kept my eyes trained on him. 

"You know me...Lexi you've known me my whole life.  Does ANY of this sound like me?"

No.  It didn't.  Which made it so much harder to process.

Michael moved his head trying desperately to catch my attention.  Closing my eyes I inhaled a deep breath and shook my head slowly.

"No..." I finally said "But..."

"But nothing!  Lexi I love you.  I wouldn't do this."

I needed time.

"Michael...I just can't..."

The hopeful look that had been building in Michael's face fell suddenly.  Seeing the pain in his eyes was difficult to look at, even as mad as I was, and I looked down at my hand and the ring Michael had given me.

Slowly I slid it off my finger and took a deep breath.  Looking back up at Michael I saw that the tears had started flowing heavily down his face again and I took a step forward with the ring in my hand.

"Here..." I whispered.  Gently I clasped his good hand in mine and pressed the ring into it. 

Michael shook his head in disbelief and clasped my wrist as I took a step back.  Quickly I jerked my head away so I wouldn't look at him and I pulled my arms to my sides. 

"Why won't you believe me?  Does all of our time together mean nothing?"

It meant everything.  But the resemblance of the kid in the photograph and the results from the test had my mind swarming in confusion and doubt.  Inhaling a sharp breath I looked back up at him.

"I just need time alone Michael...to process all of this."

Someone deep inside me I felt like Michael could be right.  But my heart was so wounded, and the evidence was so damaging there was just no way I could be with him while I sorted all of this out.  Stepping towards him again I reached up and caressed his cheek.  Michael's eyes closed at my touch and I took a shuddered breath and looked at his soft crimson lips.  Leaning towards him I brushed a quick kiss to his lips and straightened.

"Goodbye Michael..." I whispered, picking up my suitcase.  Michael's eyes poured tears and he stood there unmoving.  When I got to the doorway I paused and looked back at him one final time.  Michael stood transfixed right where I had left him, his head down and his shoulders slumped in defeat.  My heart lurched, but I resisted the urge to comfort him and reminded myself of the reason I was leaving.

"Goodbye..." I whispered again, lightly touching the doorway.    Turning on my heel I slowly walked through the hallway and down the stairs.  Laying my hand on the bannister as I moved, I looked around at the place I had called home for so long.  Memories enveloped me, and another sob rose in my throat as I made it down to the last stair and stepped into the entryway.  Letting out another shuddering breath, I sat my suitcase down and reached down to grab my cell phone from my pocket.  Quickly dialing Frank's number  I pressed the phone to my ear and waited for him to pick up.

"Hey Lele, what's up?"

"I'm coming over..."

 

Chapter End Notes:

Ahhh! Poor Lexi.  What do you guys think is Michael telling  the truth or afraid to admit what really happened because he knows she won't forgive him.  Let me know :)  Thanks a bunch for reading!

<3 Leah