- Text Size +

Two Days Later

The room was illuminated by lamplight and the flickers in the fireplace and Michael and I were on the couch in the living room watching television after being apart most of the last two days. Both of us had decided to try and watch a bit of tv together before bed since we had barely seen each other, although I could tell that Michael wouldn't last much longer.  His arm slung over my shoulder, Michael's eyes drooped heavily and his face was pale from exhaustion even though he was trying hard to act normal.

Letting out a slow yawn, Michael rolled his shoulders and reached up to cover his mouth.  I studied his face in concern and hoped that things would slow down soon enough for him to get some rest before rehearsals would begin for next year.  Between pulling an album together, organizing a tour, and dealing with all of the recent accusations Michael looked incredibly run down.

I had no idea how he did it, but I knew it couldn't be good for his health.

Still, I didn't want to stress Michael out by airing my concern.  There was nothing he could do about it and he was trying so hard to make time for me.  Turning my attention back to our conversation I elbowed him in the side lightly and slipped the remote control from his grasp.

"We are not watching Peter Pan again Michael."  I said looking over at him and rolling my eyes playfully.  "We've watched it so many times I could play Wendy on Broadway."

Michael's long frame stretched out, he was dressed in the white shirt and a pair of black athletic pants he had worn into the studio today.  Reaching up to move a strand of hair from his cheek I saw a bit of the tension leave his eyes and his stomach vibrated as he let out a low chuckle.

"Well...we do live in Neverland..."

Shooting him another glare, Michael gave me an innocent smile and turned back to look at the tv. 

"Your ridiculous."

" I don't know what you're talking about."

Oh, like he didn't.

We watched Peter Pan at least three times a week.  I cocked an eyebrow daring him to argue and Michael's wide brown eyes twinkled mischievously.  Letting out a teasing sigh Michael leaned down and kissed my cheek.

"Fine."  He conceded playfully, putting his feet on the coffee table next to mine.   "No Peter Pan."

Grinning victoriously I changed the channel and snuggled deeper under the blanket.

"Kill joy" Michael muttered grinning, eliciting another sharp look.

"Your going to think kill joy when your sleeping on the couch tonight."

Michael's eyes widened slightly but for only a moment.  Moving his arm from around my neck I felt Michael's arms slid around my waist and his breath sent chills down my spine as he leaned down towards me, laying kisses along the back of my neck.  Closing my eyes, I groaned.

"No you won't" He said cockily, pulling away and arching his eyebrows.

"Michael, what are you..." Michael's hands grazed the edge of my shirt and I groaned again when he kissed behind my ear.

"Okay, your right.  I won't."

Michael chuckled in my ear, and I sulked knowing that he had won.  "Come on Lex..." He cooed cheekily, trailing his fingertips along my abdomen.  "Be a good sport."

I didn't open my eyes, and my stubborn reluctance to admit he was right made it difficult to admit that being in his warm, solid arms was exactly where I needed to be even if he was a cheeky jerk.  Finally deciding to change the subject so I wouldn't have to admit I was wrong I sighed contently and open my eyes.

"Have you heard anything from Laura yet?" I half groaned, his hands moving circles along my stomach.

Michael's warm breath and intoxicating fragrance made it almost impossible to concentrate.  Moving his head over slightly, Michael rested his head in my hair and gave me another kiss.

"Not yet..." He mumbled, sighing.  "I don't know what's taking so long.

Laura was Michael's lawyer, and the one that was supposed to call us as soon as the results came back.

"Weren't you supposed to hear today?"

I felt Michael nod his head behind me.

"Maybe we will hear tomorrow."

Michael mumbled against my head and I felt a pang of sympathy for him, knowing that the wait had to be killing him even more than me.  It had definitely being eating me alive, don't get me wrong.  But Michael lived these accusations 24/7.

His face was plastered on television, newspapers, and magazines, all of them claiming Michael was a deadbeat father.  The words touched Michael deeply because his love with children was so deep. 

I knew in my heart they were wrong.  Michael was going to be a great father to our children. 

Our children.

The thought struck me so suddenly, I felt the air leave my lungs. 

Michael would be the father to my children. I couldn't imagine anything more wonderful.

My chest warmed thinking about it and silently I wondered what they would look like, who they would be.

"Do you want to have children as soon as were married?" I finally mused aloud, tilting my head up to look at him.  Michael gently pulled his face from my hair and looked over at me surprised.  Tilting his head slightly, Michael reached up and ran a hand through my hair.

"What made you think of that?"  He questioned, arching an eyebrow.

Blushing, I looked down at my lap.  "I don't know.." I mumbled, biting the inside of my cheek. 

"I...." he started, and his voice trailed off then as he paused .

"Of course I do Lexi." He finally said, looking at me bewildered.  "I just don't know where this came from."

I shrugged my shoulders again and looked over to the window.  Tiny droplets of water began pattering against the pane and I watched them trying to figure out what to say next.

"I guess I was just thinking about everything going on..." I finally said hesitantly, looking back over at him to gauge his reaction.  Not fazed by the topic, I took a breath and continued.

"I just...can't wait to see who they are, what they'll look like.  I'm just glad they'll have a dad like you."

Michael searched my eyes, and I knew that he understood how important it was for me to be marrying a man that would be someone I could trust.  Someone that I knew would always be there for me and my kids.  Licking the bottom of his lip, Michael gazed at me tenderly and spoke.

"I'll always be here Lexi.  No matter what happens.  Always."

Inhaling a deep breath, I smiled and nodded my head. "I know."

Michael's phone went off suddenly interrupting the moment and both of us held are breath as he released his hands around my waist and picked it up to look at the caller ID.  Recognition dawned in his eyes and quickly Michael flipped it open and pressed it up to his ear.

"Hello?  Laura?"

Quickly I jerked up on Michael's lap and looked over at him.

"....What?"

The phone fell out of Michael's hands and Laura's voice could be heard clearly on the other end.

"The results were positive." She stated again firmly. "I don't know how you want to proceed but..."

Positive? 

My heart shattered.