- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

"Baby are you about ready to go?"


Prisms of light cast an illuminating glow in the large walk in closet and shards of light glittered against the tan walls and dark mahogany floors.  Glancing behind me to look at Michael my heart faltered seeing him dressed in a dark black suit.  Tailored to fit him perfectly, Michael's crisp white dress shirt underneath showed his firm athletic stomach and his matching gray tie was a stark contrast against his perfectly arched eyebrows and warm brown eyes. 

"You look amazing." I breathed, turning around to look at him.  Running my hands along the front of my dress, the intricate crystal detailing on the left side felt rough beneath my fingertips.  I took a step towards him and nervously waited for him to say something.  Michael's eyes roamed over my body.  Nervously I touched my neck and glanced down.  My dress was a silk ivory that clung down to my knees and then cut off to a sheer white overlay.  It was something completely different than all of the other dresses I had tried on before and Michael had never seen me in it.

I looked back up at Michael and saw Michael still watching me.  Turning around in a circle I smiled when Michael came back into view.  The scent of black orchid cologne drifted across the room.  Taking a step forward, Michael closed the distance between us and wrapped his arms around my body.  Laying a gentle kiss on my forehead, Michael's breath tickled against my face.

"Mmm...you look beautiful."

Smiling under Michael's praise I laid my head against his shoulder for a moment and felt his heart beat against mine.  Michael's warm, strong embrace felt intoxicating and I shivered.  Nestling my face against his neck I inhaled his scent again and enjoyed the feeling of his muscular frame up against my own.

"I don't want to move." I murmured, unclasping my arms and wrapping them around his neck.

Michael's steady breathing and heartbeat lured me into a calm. Strands of his dark curly hair tickled against my exposed neck as we stood there, unmoving and after a few moments I opened my eyes and looked back up at him.

"Well...as late as we are..."  Michael's voice was soft and held a hint of teasing.  Looking up at him I noticed Michael's eyes were twinkling and his mouth was twisted slightly trying to keep from laughing.  Narrowing my eyes in mock anger I lightly slapped his shoulder and unhooked my arms from around him.


"Just let me get my shoes on."


Rows of clothes surrounded us.  Grabbing my clutch off one of my shelves Michael reluctantly moved out of the way so I could exit the closet and followed me into the bedroom.  Moving over towards the bed I sat down on the plush down comforter and bent over to slip my sandals on.

"You know..."  Michael sighed good-naturedly and tilted his head towards the doorway.  "If you hadn't changed your dress about a dozen times..."

I struggled with the straps of the sandals.  Hearing Michael's teasing again I glanced up and shot him a dirty look.

"Hush.  Or maybe you should have brought Janet with you instead."

"At least maybe then I'd have been on time."

I looked up at Michael again and saw him smirking in my direction.   I reached for the shoe box sitting next to me and tossed it across the room at him.

"Hey!"

Returning Michael's smirk I smoothed out the front of my dress and stood up. 

"Hey yourself" 

I shot Michael a cheeky wink and rolling his eyes Michael grabbed my coat from the night stand next to him and held it open for me.  Adjusting my hair so that the coat wouldn't flatten it I turned around and slid my arms into it. 

Michael's arms slid around my body one final time and I began buttoning my coat as Michael leaned over and gave me a swift kiss on the neck.

"I guess you're worth the wait..." Michael mumbled, half teasing.  Michael unclasped his arms around me and I smiled and linked my arm through is.

"I guess I am too."

Michael let out a groan and swatted me on the butt playfully.  Giggling I leaned in to him and both of us headed out the door down the hallway.

"I'll call for the car."

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The flashes from the paparazzi cameras blinded both Michael and I as we stepped out of the limo in front of the large, ornately carved stone building.   I turned to look at Michael as soon as I got out of the car and I had to squint to see him.  Michael looked straight ahead at all of the cameras and gave them all a stiff smile and wave.  Wrapping an arm protectively around my waist Michael gently nudged me forward and both of us moved towards the entrance.

"Michael!"

"Michael over here!"

The flashing continued at a frenzy and people leaned over both sides of the barricade desperate to get his attention.  Frank, who was on duty tonight, stood only a few feet behind us and I heard him grumbling protectively behind us as we stepped up the stairs and walked through the doors.

"Easy killer.."  I whispered only loud enough for Michael and Frank to hear.  "I think we're safe now."

Beside me Michael coughed, trying not to laugh out loud and I heard Frank grumble in response behind me as both Michael and I stopped near the entrance at the coat check.

Michael released my waist and went behind me to help me take off my coat.  Looking down I slowly unbuttoned my coat and felt it slide off behind me as Michael tugged it off and turned to give it to the girl behind the counter.  Sitting on a stool reading a magazine, the tall leggy brunette popped a bubble from her gum while Michael cleared his throat.  Letting out a small aggravated sigh the girl glanced up from her magazine with a scowl on her face.  Her blue eyes darkening, the girl looked me over and then glanced over at Michael.  Recognition dawned on her face instantly.  Opening her mouth to form an "O" the scowl lifted instantly from the girl's face and the magazine slipped through her fingers and fell to the floor.

Resisting the urge to laugh Michael gave her a charismatic smile and laid my coat on the counter.

"I'm sorry to bother you..." He started, shooting her a wink.  "But do you think you could put this back there for us?"

Her eyes never leaving Michael's face the girl quickly hopped off the stool and rushed forward the counter.  Nodding her head wildly, quickly she picked up the coat and clutched it to her chest.

"Y-yes Mr. Jackson, or course.  I can so totally do that..I LIVE to do that...I"

Michael gave her another warm smile and Frank snorted behind us watching the exchange.   Taking a few steps forward Michael said a few more kind words to her and then turned back to look at us. 
"You ready to go inside?"

Biting the inside of my cheek, my eyes were filled with amusement and I nodded my head knowing that if I tried to speak I'd burst out laughing.  Michael's eyes twinkled merrily seeing the amusement on his face and laying a hand on my back Michael nudged me along again.

"Of course, Mr. Jackson" I whispered, as soon as we were out of earshot from the coat check.  "I can so totally do that. I LIVE to do that."

Michael nudged me in the side from my teasing and letting out a small giggle I glanced around the room.  Beautifully decorated, the expansive room had been transformed for tonight's event.   Decorated in hues of red and silver, dozens of rounded tables had rose petal and candle centerpieces spread out on the crisp white table clothes.  The seats decked out with matching chair covers and large red and silver bows tied behind them, a large stage sat at the very end of the room and was decorated with shimmering Christmas lights.  Glancing around at the vaulted ceilings and tall molded columns, I heard Frank let out a low whistle of appreciation. 

"Do you know where we are sitting?"  I turned and looked up at Michael.

Michael glanced around the room and shrugged his shoulders.  "I'm sure someone will show us."

Not but a few moments later a woman in charge of the event approached us and led us through the aisles to a table close to the stage.  Giving her a smile in return Michael carefully pulled out my chair behind me and waited as I straightened my dress and sat down.

"It looks like someone else is sitting here too." Michael commented taking his seat.

Laying my clutch down on the table next to me, I realized that Michael was right and saw two more seats with place cards sitting across from us.  Curiously I nudged Frank and asked him to look at who it was.  Frank picked up the place card and handed it to me.

Usher with guest

My eyes widened in surprise and without thinking I let out a squeal.

"Michael!" Quickly I turned to him.  Michael cocked an eyebrow and gave me a look. 

 "Look! Usher is sitting HERE! OMG! How do I look?!"

Michael's eyebrows rose and I glanced frantically over at Frank.  "What am I GOING TO SAY?" I continued, my breath caught in my throat.  "What if I spill something?"

Not typically star struck, my heart pounded in my chest realizing that Usher, my favorite singer, was going to be sitting next to us.  I had been a fan of his my entire life. 

Okay.  Favorite singer other than Michael.  But I was obviously used to seeing him.

"Really Lex?"

Michael chortled next to me.  I was way too excited to even reply.  Immediately I started looking around the room seeing if I could get a glimpse of him.  My eyes roamed over the crowd unsuccessfully.

"THERE HE IS!"

Usher and another women stood at the entrance.  Dressed in a gray suit, he pulled a pair of sunglasses off his head and waited while his date took off her coat and handed it over to the check. 

"Michael!!! Look!"

Everyone in the room stopped and looked at me.  Suddenly realizing I must have shouted a bit too loudly I quickly looked away  and blushed.

"Alright.  I'm ready to leave now." I groaned, slinking down in my chair.  Michael's giggling turned into full blown laughter beside me and Frank doubled over onto the table gasping for air.  Biting the inside of my cheek I hesitantly looked over to where Usher had been moments before and saw him and his date looking over at me.  A slow smile on his face, Usher shot me a wink and quickly I looked away.

"He SAW me" I whispered furiously.  Michael laughed even harder and I furrowed my brow and shot him a dirty look.

"I'm sorry Lex..." Michael's eyes twinkled, and he covered his mouth.  "It's just you don't normally-"

"Well I guess we're sitting here too huh?"

Startled, I looked up to see that Usher and his date had made it over.  My face burned with embarrassment.  Unable to speak I gave a brisk nod and turned and looked towards the stage. 

"From the way your acting, I'm guessing that scream was about me, huh baby girl?"

I was going to die. 

I heard Frank snickering still and I looked over at Michael to see his laughter had dimmed and some of the merriment had left his eyes.  Thankful he had evidently calmed some so he didn't embarrass me further I gave him an appreciate smile and looked across the table.
"So this is your date?"  Michael questioned, nodding his head in the direction of the girl he had come with.  Long brown curls fell down her back and wide brown eyes stared at Michael through thick lashes.  Shooting him a small smile the girl shook her head negatively and reached forward to shake his hand.

"No, nothing like that. I'm his sister. Bristol."

"Oh." Michael's voice stiffened. 

What was his problem?

I gave Michael a curious look but his eyes remained trained across the table.  Deciding I'd have to ask him later what was going on I reached forward and grabbed the crystal water goblet in front of me.  Lifting it to my lips I took a sip.

"So I know who he is, but you are...?"

Usher's kind tone instantly made the embarrassment from earlier dissipate.  I sat the water glass down and glanced over at him.  Giving him a small smile I forced the nervousness from my voice.

"Lexi."

"My fiancée."

Michael's voice took on a very protective element to it and, inwardly groaning I realized that Michael's problem was that he was jealous. 

This...could be a problem.

"I wish I could find a girl as beautiful as you."

Taken off guard I blushed and hesitantly looked over at Michael.  "Thank you.."

"I'll introduce you to someone."

Michael's voice low, it almost came out as a growl.  Coughing uncomfortably I shifted in my seat and reached across the table for Michael's hand.   Running my hand along the top of it, Michael quickly opened his palm and took my hand.

"....Thanks." 

Usher glanced over at Michael like he had lost his mind. 

"Soo..."  I changed the subject and looked across the table.  "Are you speaking tonight?"

Usher gave me another smile and shook his head no.  "Just here in support.  I donate every year...it's a good cause."

"Oh yeah? How much?"

Uncomfortably, Usher looked over at Michael again and raised an eyebrow.

"Excuse me?"

Michael refused to back down and returned his look.  "How much? I bet I donate more."

Bristol, Frank, and I all looked at each other.  

"Michael..." Bristol finally said.  "How about you, are you presenting?"

Eyeing Usher across the table, Michael smirked and nodded his head.  "I'm the keynote."

I shifted in my chair and cleared my throat.   "Bristol, Usher, this is one of my best friends and one of Michael's bodyguards Frank." 

Frank nodded his head and both of them said hello.  An uncomfortable silence fell over the table.  Deciding I better continuing taming my excitement at seeing Usher I turned to look at the stage and waited for someone to approach the microphone.  A few moments passed, and the crowed hummed behind us as someone finally took the stage and tapped the microphone.

"Attention!" The small swift movements on the mic made a loud thumping noise.  Everyone!"

The woman at the microphone was middle aged and dressed in a black shimmering off the shoulder dress.  Her hair pulled behind her in a French twist the woman was beautiful.  It took her a few more tries to finally get the crowd died down enough for her to speak.  Finally able to get their attention, the woman went into a long talk about the charity and it's contributions.  As soon as she was finished she turned to look towards our table.

"Now, before we eat our special guest Mr. Michael Jackson would like to say a few words." The stage lights illuminated our table and Michael released my hand and stood.  Giving the crowd a small wave Michael smiled and walked torwards the stage.  I watched him, proud of the man he was.  Michael took the steps slowly and when he reached the center of the stage Michael shook the women's hand and gave her a quick peck on the cheek.  Blushing the woman smiled and walked to her seat at the edge of the stage. 

"This charity..." Michael started, bending down to reach the microphone attached to a stainless steel platform "Means the world to me."

Michael's eyes shone with sincerity and passionately Michael laid out the reasons he had supported them for so many years. 

"Is that her?" 

"Yes, that's the girl.  Can you believe she actually showed her face in public?"

Furtive whispers at the table next to us drew my attention away from Michael's speech and I glanced over to see two women looking my way. 

Quickly they glanced away and, shaking my head slightly I turned back to look at the stage.

Michael paused for a moment and looked over at me. 

I love you  I mouthed making him smile.  Looking back down at his index cards Michael continued speaking.

"If my fiancée had gotten another woman pregnant I'd have dumped him right then."

"Do you think she's with him for the money?

"Probably.  She looks like a gold digging skank."

The women's voices once again pulled my attention away from Michael's speech and shocked I listened to them continue.

"Women like that have no self respect."

"She probably doesn't even care. .  He probably just shoves some credit cards in her direction and she lets him do whatever."

"She probably even makes him pay for sex."

Tears brimmed in my eyes hearing the women's hateful remarks and I looked down at the table trying not to cry. 

"Doesn't look like she'd be worth much" The women snickered.  "Slut like her probably has a whole mess of diseases."

I looked over at Frank to see if he had overheard the conversation but his head was tucked down and smiling he was reading a text from someone.  I decided it was probably best that he hadn't and glanced back down at the table.  Reaching for my goblet I took another drink of water and blinked my eyes to keep my tears at bay.

"He should have definitely married Diana Ross a few years back."

I forced my arm to be steady and I lowered my glass to the table.  I felt completely disconnected and humiliated. 

Was that really what people thought of me?

The women's cackling and insults continued and I did my best to ignore them.  A few minutes passed, when suddenly I glanced up to see Usher staring down the women near us.   Both of the women's giggling died down, seeing the stern look on his face, and forcefully Usher scolded them.

"Excuse me ladies, but if you have nothing better to do than insult a perfectly kind, beautiful women who is obviously worth the both of you combined..." Leaning over the table he paused and looked them up and down.   "I suggest you  take your cackling outside.  Before I get security."

The women's jaws hung open.

Surprised, I looked back over at him and swallowed a lump in my throat.   Usher twisted back in his seat and turned to look at me.  Giving me a sympathetic look Usher nodded towards the women and waved his hand.

"Don't worry about them. " He smiled gently.  "Some people have nothing better to do than to spread viscous gossip.  Even at a charity banquet.

"Wait...what just happened?"

Frank's confused voice interrupted my response and I whispered a quick thank you to him before turning to look at Frank.

"Nothing..." I smiled affectionately.  "He took care of it."

Frank's dark blue eyes grew stormy and he laid his cell phone down on the table.  Glancing around the room Frank searched the crowd for some indication of what had just happened.

"Frank..." I tried again.

"Hey what's going on?"

Michael slid into his seat beside me and shot Frank, who was still staring down the crowd, a puzzled look.  Michael's brows furrowed together, he looked between the two of us and I gave him a reassuring smile.

Usher and I shot each other a look.

"Nothing.  Everything's fine."

 ____________________________________________________________________________________

Placing my clutch on the bed I leaned down and unbuckled my sandals.  Michael was across the room, undoing his tie and I heard him grumbling to himself in the closet.  Releasing the buckle on my second shoe I slid them both off and looked up to see him walk back in the room.  Biting the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing I watched Michael take his suit jacket off and put it on a hanger.

"So your SURE while I was gone he wasn't hitting on you again?"

Rolling my eyes I reassured Michael for the hundredth time. 

"No honey.  He was not."

Michael's piercing gaze studied my face.  I placed my hands on the bed and got up and walked over to him.  I walked until I was just a few inches away and Michael's bottom lip was still puckered and his forehead drawn in concern.  Leaning up on my tippy toes I gave him a light kiss and began unbuttoning his dress shirt.

"He was just helping me with something."

"...Or helping himself to you."

I chuckled at Michael's jealous retort and wrapped my arms around his waist.  A strand of Michael's hair dangled in front of his eye, and Michael's face burned with jealousy as he stared at me under his perfectly arched eyebrows. 

"Michael..." I tried not to laugh.  "I promise.  Nothing was going on."

Michael muttered under his breath and leaning up again I captured his lips in a kiss.  Michael's murmuring slowed, and then stopped completely.

"Then what did happen..."  Michael asked, laying his forehead against mine after we broke the kiss.

Sighing, I leaned my head against Michael's chest and retold what had happened while he was on stage.   Michael's arms tightened around me, hearing what had actually happened, and he let out a low growl when I got to the part about me being "diseased."

"Are you kidding me?"

Michael's neck tightened and his features drew together angrily.  

"If I'd have heard them I'd have..."

Michael's heart beat was racing, and he launched into a long of expletives threatening everyone under the sun.  Quietly I listened to his ranting until he was done and relaxed against him, loving how protective he was being.

"Lexi...baby I'm so sorry."

Releasing one of his hands from around my waist, Michael helplessly ran a hand through his hair and looked back down at me.  The anger draining from his expression Michael looked beaten and unsure of himself.  Reaching up to caress his face I ran my fingers over his lips to hush him.

"Michael...let me ask you a question."

Michael looked down at me miserably and then nodded.

"Did you cheat on me?"

Michael shook his head no.

"Have you ever even been tempted to cheat on me?"

Michael shook his head no again.

I moved my hand back down and laid it on his chest.

"Then how can you apologize?  You haven't done anything except be who you are."

Shaking his head slightly Michael opened up his mouth to speak again and I reached up and silenced him again.

"No. I know what you're going to say."  Mimicking his voice I continued "Yeah...but Lex if I didn't do this for a living..."

Slowly Michael's face broke into a small smile.  Smiling back at him I continued.

"Baby you can't apologize for being who you are."  Letting out a sigh I motioned torwards the doorway.  "Yes, life may be easier if you had a normal job, but If you didn't do this for a living you couldn't help as many people as you do either."  Michael's eyes softened and he reached up and brushed my neck with his hand.  Gently kissing his chin I looked up at him.  "Think about all of the kids you've helped...all the charities you've funded." Michael blushed and glanced away from me.  Moving my hand to his face I gently guided his head back to look at me and I gazed at him lovingly.  "

"Don't ever apologize for who you are...and don't even think about apologizing for bringing me into this chaos.  Because I'm not even a little sorry that we're together."

"I love you.." Michael whispered around a lump in his throat.

"I love you too."

 

Chapter End Notes:

Hey Guys!

4,000 words! Phew! :) Let me know what you guys think.

Much L.O.V.E. to all you guys that take the time to read this.  You guys are so amazing.  Hope everyone has a wonderful night :) Expect an update tomorrow!

<3 Leah