- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Flashback

I wonder if Michael's home yet from the studio.

Jiggling my keys in the large wooden door, the keys felt cold against my wrist as I turned the lock and pushed the door open.  Sliding my purse down from my shoulder I stepped into the entryway and glanced down.  Surprised I saw rose petals littered across the beige and gold braided rug against the doorway.  Placing my purse down on the floor I closed the door behind me and glanced around looking for Michael.

"Hello?  Michael?"

What was he up to?

Long loose curls fell against my temples as I reached down and unbuttoned my black dress coat.  Placing it gently on the gold brass coat rack I straightened the hem of my ivory lace dress.  Tugging it down my hips I slid my ivory heels off near the door and kept looking for Michael?

Where was he?

Noticing the rose petals made a trail up the stairway I smiled slightly and walked past the fireplace to go upstairs.  Placing my hands on the thick mahogany bannister  amber flames flickered in the fireplace beside me.  Slowly moving up the stairway I glanced between the petals and the seemingly empty hallway upstairs looking for any sign of Michael.  Still not seeing him when I reached the upstairs hall I noticed the trail of petals led farther down the hall and I followed them mystified. 

Where were they leading? 

The lights flickered in the dangling candelabra and various hues of pink and orange from the sunset danced against the beige walls and wooden molding of the hallway.  Noticing the petals stopped at the doorway in our bedroom I smiled realizing that Michael must be waiting for me on the other side of the doorway.

Placing my hand along the edge of the doorway I lightly knocked and slid my hand down to turn the lock.

"Michael...?"

Before I had a chance to open the door it swung open.  Standing in front of me, Michael stood wearing black dress slacks, a crisp orange dress shirt, and his hair was clasped back behind his neck.  His eyes searched mine as he stepped forward cupping my face in his hands.  Wrapping my arms around his waist, I closed my eyes and Michael leaned in brushing a kiss against my lips.  Stepping in closer to him I linked my arms behind him and parted my lips deepening the kiss.

Michael moved his hands from my face and slowly wrapped his arms around my waist.  Breaking the kiss Michael gently nuzzled my neck and a strand of hair dangling against his temple tickled my neck as he gave me a swift kiss and straightened.

"Hey" He grinned as I opened my eyes.  Breathless I smiled and bit my lip.  "Hey yourself." 

Unclasping one of my hands I took one of his curls between my fingers and twirled it. "...what's all of this?"

Michael's eyes searched my face.  Seeing my curiosity Michael chuckled and gave me a small wink.

"I'm wooing you."

I cocked an eyebrow.  "Wooing?"

Michael nodded in affirmation.  "Yep.  Wooing."

Michael's voice was teasing and taking another step closer to him I released my hands from his waist and wrapped my arms around his neck.

"I'm pretty sure I'm fairly wooed or I wouldn't be living here."

Sensing that I was only half teasing, Michael's eyes turned serious again and he leaned in and gave me another kiss.

"In that case..."

Michael's arms swung behind me and lifted me off the ground.  Letting out a small squeal in surprise I quickly adjusted in his arms and looked at the room as we walked in.  Shutting the door with his hip Michael spun around the room slowly for me to see.

"What do you think?"

Michael had lit the fireplace and scattered crimson red petals on the bed.  A bottle of champagne sitting in a bucket on the end table sitting next to a platter of dark and white chocolate covered strawberries soft music played in the background.  My heart warming seeing all of the effort he had put into making the evening nice I looked up at him and pulled him in for a kiss.

"I think...that I'm a lucky girl."
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Pulling the blanket over my lap the hot ceramic mug in my hand tingled against my palm as I lifted to my lips and took a drink.  Letting out a small sigh I looked out the window in the living room area and noticed the same orange and pink hues from the sunset that I had the day Michael had arranged that afternoon so many nights ago.  My heart aching I acknowledged how much different it looked tonight.  How much different everything looked tonight.

Looking around the room I soaked in the thick wooden beams and the various scattering of furniture.  Looking around the room my heart broke for the hundredth time this afternoon.  Everything in this room had a memory.  The couch, the chairs, the television...

Michael and I had spent so much time in this room.

What was I going to do?

It had been four days and Michael and I still weren't speaking.  I wanted so much for that to change...but I didn't know how to make it.  Images of him and Megan entered my mind every time I laid eyes on him. 

I fought back the chills that came with the memory.

Fortunately the times I had seen Michael had been few and far between.  Still angry that I hadn't believed him when I saw the picture Michael had buried himself in work the last few days. It wasn't that I didn't want to believe him...

But how could I?  Everything just seemed to keep pointing that I was being blind.  A fool.

Everything except what my heart was saying.

Letting out a sigh I sunk deeper against the couch cushions and laid my head back.  Everything felt so confusing and foreign.  My mind reeled trying to make sense of it and the soft plush cushions did nothing to ease the aching.  Everything in me hurt right now.

Hearing the door open behind me I forced myself not to look up and stared straight ahead out the window.  The door closed while I watched leaves scattering the ground from the trees.  A strong wind blowing mercilessly silently I wondered if our plants outside would survive.

"Lexi?"

I forced myself not to react to his voice and kept my head straight.  Taking another sip of my coffee Michael stepped into my view.  Trying not to look up at him Michael stood directly in front of me and sat down on the dark brown coffee table in front of me. 

"Lex, can we talk?"

Still sweaty from rehearsal Michael's hair clung to his face and his white t-shirt clung to his chest.  Swallowing a lump in my throat I look at him.  Michael's eyes searched my own.  Seeing the same sadness reflected in his eyes that I had seen in my own since seeing the magazine my resolve to not talk to him weakened and I nodded my head slowly.

"I'm listening" I said softly, looking down into my cup.

The room went quiet.  Running a hand through his hair in frustration Michael let out a small sigh and cleared his throat.

"Lexi...I, uh..."

Taking another sip of my coffee I readjusted on the couch and crossed my legs.  Reaching over for a throw pillow I pushed it under my arm and looked back up at him.

Michael's head down, he looked back up at me.  "I honestly don't know what's going on."

Swallowing another lump in my throat I looked back down at my coffee.  "That makes two of us."

Both of us got quiet again.   Looking at my half empty mug my mind swirled and desperately I tried to make sense of everything.  Desperate to find out what was going on I forced myself to sound nonchalant.

"You know you could tell me if it was true...I wouldn't be mad."

Had I just said that?


My ridiculous statement made Michael glance up and cock an eyebrow.  Leaning towards me Michael clasped his hands in front of him and let out a slow chuckle.

"Lex you are so awkward."

Blushing, I kept my head down and rolled my eyes.

"I know."

"So you don't care if I have sex with, and impregnate other women huh?"

Rolling my eyes again I let out a small groan and lifted the mug in front of my face.

"I didn't mean it."

Obviously.

Michael shifted on the coffee table and chuckled.

"Seriously Lex."

Michael leaned forward and gently tug the mug from me.  Placing my hands in my lap I looked up and saw Michael sit it next to him before looking back over at me.  Reaching out a hand Michael gently lifted my hand off of my lap and took it in his.

"Lexi...I'm not going to lie.  I'm still hurt that you don't believe me.  But seriously.  Why after all that we had been through, after all of the time we had been together would I EVER risk losing you?  Lexi you were in the damn hospital when she's claiming this all supposedly started. You are more of a part of me than even my music.  Lex do you really think that all of these years I've been doing this behind your back?"

Looking down at his hand I blinked a few times to keep from crying.    "I don't know" I whispered biting my cheek.  "I just...don't know. Are relationship at times has been so hard maybe you weren't sure it was worth the effort? I don't know. "

Michael's hand slipped from mine.  Looking back up at him in confusion Michael scooted forward more and placed both of his hands on the sides of my face.  Searching my eyes Michael looked at me seriously and furrowed his brows.

"Not worth the effort? Lexi..."  Michael pulled his hands from my face and wrapped them around my waist.  Pulling me onto his lap Michael captured my lips with his.  Taken off guard, I didn't resist.  Feeling his lips on mine again after so long felt so good that I completely lost myself in it.  The feeling of his breath against mine, the taste of his kiss...

Parting my lips slightly something inside me broke and I yielded to the strength of it.  My heart pounded in my ears and Michael's lips devoured mine passionately as he held me against his strong, firm chest.  His arm circled around me tighter.  Breathing him in, I shuddered. 

"Michael..."

Michael's lips trailed from my mouth to my chin, my neck.  Breathing heavily Michael moved his hands back to the sides of my face and looked into my eyes.

"I could never" He started seriously, moving his head close enough that our foreheads touched. "...NEVER think you weren't worth the effort."

I had to trust him.

Realizing I wasn't strong enough to deal with the implications him lying would bring I decided in that moment to believe him and taking in a deep breath I nodded my head slowly and leaned down to lay against his chest.  Encircling his arms around me again Michael pressed a kiss to the top of my head and held me.

"I love you...so much."

"I love you too."

Chapter End Notes:

What do you guys think? Is Lexi  being naieve? Did Michael have a moment of weakness and sleep with Megan?