- Text Size +

 

"Aunt Lexi?"

Shifting in the passenger seat of Janet's van, I felt the leather pucker underneath me as I looked back, towards Nahla's carseat.  Curls framing her sweet face, Nahla's lips were puckered as she looked at me, her head tilted precariously in child-like wonderment.

 Affection swelled in my chest as she stared at me trying to form her thoughts.  Curiously wondering what her questions was, and why it was so difficult for her to form it I waited, placing my arm on the rest between Janet and I's seat.

"Nahla? What is it sweetie?"

"Well..." She started again slowly, taking a deep breath.  "Why do you think daddy didn't come to eat with us again this time?"

Sighing, I bit my lower lip and peaked towards Janet out of the corner of my eye.  Janet's gaze was steely as she stared forward, trying not to lose her temper.  Nervously I twiddled the bottom of my shirt and focused my attention back on her.

"I don't know sweetie..." I finally said, choking back my irritation and clenching my fingernails into my palms. 

Tony's antics never ceased to get under my skin.  Since his and Janet's break up a few years back he had proven to be a seriously dead beat dad.  It was a good thing Janet had for the most part her family's love and support.

Because is she hadn't...

I just wanted to kill him.  Period.
 

My heart broke as I watched Nahla's eyes shoot down to the floorboard.  Small sniffles soon to follow, keeping my eyes trained on her I reached down, unbuckled my seat belt, and crawled into the back. 

Nahla's small sniffles quieted as I pressed my hands against the cool black leather and adjusted into my seat.  Buckling my seat belt I pushed a few strands of hair from my eyes and peaked over at her.  Eyes wide she cocked her head and looked at me.  Giving her a smile I leaned towards her and brushed my hand against her forehead.  Nahla's lips puckered, I leaned forward and gave her a kiss. 

"Little missy"  I cooed, giving her a affectionate smile.  "Do you know how much I love you?"

"As much as momma loves shoes?"

I tapped her nose with my finger.  "Nope. Way off."

"As much as Uncle Mike loves music?"

Resisting the urge to chuckle, I gave her a small nod again and pursed my lips together firmly.  "Nope."

Nahla's eyes twinkled as she sighed, and small tiny fingers wrapped themselves in my hair as she reached forward and grabbed my face.

"As much as as the stars in the sky?"

"As much as the stars in the sky" I repeated, giving her another affectionate look and giggling.

Nahla's eyes shining with tears, I reached forward and wiped them away as she smiled at me and rubbed her nose against mine.

"I love you too Auntie Lexi." She started slowly, a mischievous gleam in her eyes. " ALMOST as much as I do popcicles."

"Hey!"

Nahla's rotten giggles met my ears as I pulled my head back laughing and reached forward, tickling her sides.  Nahla's bright pink car seat rocked slightly, and I dodged her legs as she kicked wildly, trying to dodge my hands.

"I'm sorry!  I was kidding!"

"To little to late kiddo" I chuckled, glancing up towards the front.  Janet's eyes peered back at me, through the rear view mirror and I smiled, seeing her mouth "Thank You" in the reflection.

"Mommy! Save me!"

Nahla's pleas received laughter from Janet, and glancing back towards Nahla I gave her a small wink.

"Maybe next time you'll think twice before you speak."

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Ten Hours Later

"Lexi, I still don't think this is a good idea."

Sighing, I made my way through the front door at Neverland.  The door clicked shut behind me, and sliding out my shoes I glanced around the empty entryway looking for Michael.

Just home from my day with Nahla and Janet, I was on the phone with Frank discussing the impending trial and more than anxious to see Michael and spend some time with him.

It had been a long day...and I was ready to snuggle up in Michael's arms and see him.  That was, if he was home.

"I need to Frank, you know that.  What if I don't? And he walks? Then what?"

Frank's frustration was evident from the other line, and images of my stalker at the last hearing flashed through my head like an unwelcomed, unbelievable puzzle piece to my past.  This man had almost stolen everything from me, for a reason I couldn't understand, and was the last thing I wanted to be thinking about right now.


"They can convict him without you there Lexi.  There's your written testimony, the evidence they found..."

"It's not enough."  I shifted the phone tighter against my shoulder and walked forward, towards the stairway."

"Lexi, it is enough..."  Frank started "The prosecuter said"

"No Frank, you don't understand."

Running a hand through my hair I sighed in exasperation and placed a hand on the railing.  Making my way up the stairs I glanced up, smiling when I saw Michael leaning over the bannister upstairs waiting for me.  Hair pulled back from his eyes, Michael looked tired in a dark blue t-shirt and black denim jeans. 

"It's not just the evidence thing....I just... need to see him I guess... I'm not saying i'll actually GO to the actual trial.  I think I would feel better if I could just" Letting out a frustrated sigh I ran my fingers through my hair "ASK him...you know? Ask him why." 

Michael's eyebrows rose and I grimaced. Unable to discuss it with him yet due to our busy schedules, I saw the disapproval etched in his features.  Taking the last few stairs Frank groaned into the phone and I walked towards Michael.  Michael's arms extended towards me I walked into them, inhaling the scent of his cologne and leaned my head against his chest. 

"Lexi..."

"No Frank....just listen okay?"

Letting out a low growl, Frank stopped talking.

" I need to know why he did it.  I have so many questions in my head.. It would only be one visit."

"Wait a second." Frank interrupted, and Michael's arms tightened around me.  "You want to SPEAK to him? As in person?"

Cringing, I closed my eyes.  "I don't know, maybe?"

"Lexi!"

"Frank I'll talk to you tomorrow alright?"

Not giving him a chance to interrupt I quickly reached up, ended the call, and stuffed it in my coat pocket. 

Groaning I slid my arms around Michael's wait and leaned into him again.  Pressing a kiss to the top of my head I waited, quietly for Michael to question me about my conversation.

"Lexi...." He finally started, slowly.  Hearing the apprehension in his voice I sighed and tilted my head up to look at him.  His brow furrowed, concern was etched in his features. 

"When were you going to tell me about this?"

Shrugging, I bit my lip.  "I don't know..." I started, expecting a fight.  "I just-"

"I'm going with you."

Michael's announcement surprised me and I stopped, raising my eyebrows.

"What?"

Michael smiled, seeing the confusion in my face.  "Did you expect a fight?"

Surprised, I nodded my head.  "Baby, I understand..." Michael replied softly, brushing another kiss on the top of my head.  "But I don't want you going alone.  This guy is just.." Michael paused, squinting.  "Bad news. But I understand...and I'm okay with it as long as I can go, okay?"

Affection swelled up in my heart, and smiling softly I leaned towards him and kissed his neck.

"Flaws.  There have to be some I just know it." I mumbled, closing my eyes and squeezing him tighter.

Michael giggled, and the soft cotton of his shirt shifted against my cheek as he tightened his hold and leaned down, whispering in my ear. "I'll remind you of that the next time you threaten to lock me for leaving the toilet seat up."

Opening my eyes I rolled them and swatted his back. 

"You mean like when I FALL IN THE TOILET? I think maybe you have a point."

Chuckling again Michael released me and I pulled back and clasped his hand.  Both of us began walking towards the bedroom and clearing his throat Michael changed the subject.

"So about our date tomorrow night."

Ugh, you've got to be kidding.

Cringing, I glanced over at him.  "Let me guess, your cancelling." 


My toes sinking into the soft carpet, I did my best to contain my frustration and walked towards the bed.  "I just wish."

Michael's arms came up behind me, and I felt the warmth of his fingertips against my skin as his hands slid around my waist, brushing against the edge of my shirt and my stomache. Surprised, I jerked back against him and tendrils of Michael's hair fell against my neck as he pressed a kiss against my head and moved his fingers slowly against the fabric of my shirt.

"Why" He started slowly, his breath hot against my neck as he chuckled.  "Do you automatically assume I'm cancelling?"

Opening my mouth, no words came out as he continued.

"Lexi Grace, what am I going to do with you?"

Sheepishly I glanced down, and my cheeks grew hot with embarrassment as I lowered my hands to his arms and ran circles along his knuckles.

"I don't know.." I mumbled slowly, leaning my head back against his chest.  "I just..."

"I just was going to ask you what you wanted me to pick up to watch tomorrow. Lex.  No cancelling intended."

Mumbling incoherently, I tilted my head to the side and continued messing with his knuckles.  Michael chuckled again, tightened his hold, and nudged his leg forward, moving us towards the bed.

"Move it.  You've got some apologizing to do."

Giggling, Michael and I monkey walked towards the bed and with a gentle nudge, Michael flung us forward on the bed and landed on top of me.

"Umph!" I squealed, the blankets swooshing against my face as he landed on top of me from behind. 

Michaels hands fell to my hips and cool air tickled against my neck and tickled my spine as the bed shifted from our shuffling.  Nudging the blankets up with my nose I laughed, my worries from earlier far behind.

Michael's laughter behind me loud and boisterous, I clutched the blankets and turned around underneath him to face him.  Michael's eyes twinkled as I settled comfortably, moving my shirt back down to cover my stomach. 

"I love you."

Smiling affectionately, I reached up and ran my fingers along Michael's cheeks as he leaned forward, his laughter dying down, and kissed me.

"I know" I mumbled playfully against his lips, pulling a curl into my fingertips.  "But so are you."

Michael groaned in the kiss, and giggling he mumbled.  "I'm going to ignore the fact...that you just called me beautiful."

Chuckling, I closed my eyes, and Michael's fingers moved tenderly against my neck and down my arms as we embraced softly, our legs and arms intertwining.

"I'm glad we get to do this...Be this way. Together." I sighed breaking the kiss, and mumbling against his lips.

"Me too Lex.  Very glad."

 

Chapter End Notes:

Photobucket