- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Lexi's POV

Trees swayed with the wind and birds chirped merrily in the distance.  Everything  was so beautiful- the  long rolling hills and cobblestone pathways, the multitude of leaves falling and the tiny droplets of water falling from the fountain.  Lovingly I turned to the house and placing my hand on it I ran my fingertips along the exterior. 

There were so many memories here...so many happy times.  I'd give anything to go back to when everything felt so simple.  When I felt Michael's love with every fiber of my being.

Those days were gone now... and I wasn't sure they were ever coming back. It seemed like every time we took two steps forward something would happen that moved us three steps back.  Standing in front of the house Janet and I had just gotten home. From the looks of it Michael hadn't gotten home yet and the door was still locked so Janet was trying to figure out what key we needed to get in.  Unable to speak, to move, to think I wasn't being much help.    My arms were still trembling from the shock of seeing that photograph in the magazine earlier.  Nothing felt real, and everything felt wrong like I was in someone else's life.  Where had that picture come from? Why was all of this happening? Was I wrong to trust Michael so completely?  Every time I turned around there was something telling me I was being foolish; That my love for him was blinding me from what was really happening.

"Lex does this look right?"

Was everything I thought I knew a lie?

It hurt to breath. 

"Lex? Honey I need you to look at the keys and tell me which one it is."

"Do you think I was wrong?"

Wrapping my arms around my chest I turned to look at Janet.  Head down, Janet stopped sorting through the keys.  Letting out a frustrated growl Janet ran her fingers through her hair and looked up at me.

"Wrong about what?" She asked, tilting her head slightly.

Closing my eyes, I blew a breath into the cold misty air.  My leather coat rode up slightly as I leaned back against the wood railing.  Taking a step forward I look away from Janet and stared at the door.

"About him..."

Janet's heels clicked against the cobblestone as she reached forward and wrapped her arms around me.  Blinking my eyes rapidly I laid my head on her shoulder for a moment and closed my eyes.

"Lex to be honest I don't know what's going on.  But it's not in Michael to cheat on you.  You saw how he fell apart when you were gone before."

Stepping back out of the hug I looked up at her.  Nodding my head in agreement I unlaced my arms and rubbed my neck.

"I know, but Janet seriously...pictures, DNA tests...it's all just-"

Janet sighed.  "Too much, I know."

I heard a car in the distance and turned to look towards the gate.   A couple hundred feet away Michael's limo approached and waited as both of the doors opened.

 Inhaling a deep breath silently I wondered if I was ready for this conversation.  Seeing Michael made me push myself into gear. Quickly turning towards the door I pulled the keys from Janet's hand and flipped through the keys until I found the right one. 

"Now you find the key."

Turning the knob and pushing the door open, I glanced back at Janet and gave her a look.

Janet  smiled and both us grabbed our bags and stepped into the entryway.  Laying my bags by the door I slipped off my shoes and walked into the living room.  The front door opened as I sat down on the couch and Janet turned to look at me from the doorway.

"I'm just going to head upstairs."

"NO!" Giving her a pleading look I shook my head.  Watching my panicked expression Janet cocked her head and gave me a look.

"Lexi, to put my bags away before he gets inside.  Are you kidding? Do you seriously think I'm not going to be involved in this?  He has some explaining to do."

"Oh."

Janet turned and I heard her feet pounding against the stairs.  Laying back against the couch I crossed my legs and listened for the door.  Staring at the wall I tried to figure out what I was going to say.

"...Lexi?"

Startled I sat up hearing Michael's voice.  Turning my head I saw Michael enter from the hall.  Deciding he must have come in the back door I stared at him motionless for what felt like hours.  Dressed in a pair of jeans and a blue dress shirt Michael's hair was tossed back in a bun and he stared at me in concern.

"What's going on? What is the emergency? Are you okay?"

"No she's not okay!"

Before I had a chance to answer Janet came flying down the stairs.  Michael's eyes widened as he turned to look at her. 

"Janet? Your still here?"

Coming down the last couple of stairs Janet walked up to Michael and smacked him in the head.

"Hey! What was that for?"

Reaching in her back pocket, Janet grabbed her cell phone and shoved it in his face.

"Explain."

Michael gave her a look and took the phone from her.  Glancing between the two of them I gathered Janet must have found the picture in the magazine plastered somewhere on the internet.  Letting out a small groan I wondered just how much coverage it had actually garnered, and with fear I wondered if there were more than the one I saw.

"What the hell is this?"

Michael's voice rose an octave and letting out a low growl he glanced up at Janet.  "Come on, you don't seriously believe-" 

Janet smacked him in the head again.

"What was THAT for?" 

"I said EXPLAIN.  Not make excuses."

Michael seeing the pictures made everything feel real all over again.  Clenching my jaw so that I wouldn't tear up Michael glanced over to me and his face fell.

"Lexi...I wasn't even thinking.  You saw this...and you thought?  No..."
Michael handed the cell phone back to Janet and walked purposefully across the room over to the couch.  Moving around it Michael sat next to me and reached for my arm.

"Lex..."  Michael whispered softly, leaning towards me.

Quickly I jerked my arm back and glanced at the fireplace.   Amber flickers erupted from the logs and crackled.

"....Lexi"

I refused to look at him. 

"She said explain."

"I can't believe this!"

Michael jerked up off the couch and ran a hand through his hair.

"Lexi.." He tried again.

Refusing to answer I turned to look at him.

"You seriously..believe this?"

Not sure what I believed I didn't say anything.  Michael searched my face and looked at me crestfallen.  "I thought you both knew me better than this."

Without another word Michael turned and walked out of the room.  Hearing his footsteps echo through the house I heard the front door open and slam behind him.  Placing my face in my hands my emotions overtook me and I let out a sob.

Janet walked around the couch and over to me.  Sitting down she wrapped both arms around me and we leaned back.

"Lexi we'll figure this out.  It's just going to take time."

"I'm just not sure when we do we'll survive this."

Janet said nothing.

Chapter End Notes:

Ahhh! I'm writing the second part of this right now so expect it up soon.  Thanks so much you guys for reading and letting me know what you think.  It helps me develop the story :)  Much <3

leah