- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The Next Morning
Neverland Ranch

Sunlight streamed through the windows sending prisms of light bouncing around the room. Cautiously I opened my eyes, silently wondering what time it was, and allowed them to adjust to the light.   

It didn't look much later than when we had went to bed.

Michael and I had been up all night watching movies and talking...and doing a little more than talking at times.  Not wanting to waste even a moment of our short vacation together Michael and I hadn't wanted to go to sleep.  Honestly I wasn't even sure what time we finally had succumbed to our drooping eyes and incessant yawns but the sun had been rising in the horizon peaking behind the mountains and trees at the time.
 
 Yawning, I stretched my arms over my head and rolled over to see that Michael was already gone.  Blankets tossed over the bed, his spot was left empty and a small yellow post it was on his pillow.  Putting my arms down I tugged my yellow cami down and reached over and grabbed the note.  "Gone outside to do some writing. Love you." 

 

Michael's familiar scribble brought a smile to my face.   Running my other hand along the cool satin sheets I pushed myself up onto the side of the bed and slipped my sandals on.  In the background I heard the humming of one of Michael's housekeepers.  Walking across the room I opened our closet and ran my hand along the wall until my fingers landed on the cool plastic of the light switch.  Flicking the lights on, a burst of colors from the racks of clothing on both sides of the large room jumped out at me.  Walking over to my side I sorted through the racks of clothes until an old pair of track pants and a light grey tank with sequins I had forgotten all about caught my eye.  My hands moved to the shelf and, in the same instant I grabbed the clothes, a thick notebook thudded to the ground.  Curious I set the clothes down beside me and my hair tumbled over my shoulders as I bent down to pick it up. 

Was this my notebook? But how?


Several years ago while I was in high school Janet and I had both had a falling out and had stopped talking.  It had only lasted about a year and we had been completely inseparable ever since, but during that time I had been so lonely that I had begun writing everything down which soon morphed into song writing.  I had never mentioned anything to Janet, and especially Michael, since both of them were so musically inclined.  Terrified of their response as soon as Janet and I had made up I had shoved my notebook in my closet at home and forgotten all about it.

Until now.  How did this even get here when I moved? 

Shrugging my shoulders I walked out of the closet, turned off the light, and walked across the room to a white upholstered bench with dark brown buttons sitting beneath a large bay window. Crossing my legs in front of me, my old notebook made a slight noise as I opened the pages.

"Lex?"

Michael's voice drifted down the hallway.  My heart pounding in my chest I slammed the book shut and stuffed it under the bench cushion.

A soft knock on the door made me look up, and Michael gave me a warm smile from the doorway.  Dressed in the same pajama bottoms as last night and a white tank top Michael's hair fell neatly down his shoulders.  Motioning for me to come towards him I gave him a smile and stood up.

"What are you doing? I thought you were doing some writing?"

Michael walked a few more steps towards me and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"I thought I'd come check on my favorite girl Pretty Young Thing."

Michael's eyes twinkled and I wrapped my arms around his neck and rolled my eyes. 

"You are so cheesy."

Michael mimicked my eye roll and gave me a snort.  "So are you."

Squinting my eyes I pressed my nose up against his "Am not!"

Michael squinted his eyes and pressed his nose closer "Are too."

"AM NOT!"

"ARE TOO!"

"Lex...the fact that you used the phrase "Cheesy" proves my point."

Michael stared at me and cocked an eyebrow while I searched for something to say. 

"Shut up."

Michael grinned and released my waist to grab my hand.

"Do you have time to come with me? I want to show you something."

Curious, I nodded my head. "Sure."

Michael stepped out of the room and both of us headed down the hallway.  Peaking in each room as we went I prayed that the housekeeper had ended up in the other wing of the house and wouldn't see my prancing around in my pajamas. 

"Lex....what are you doing?"

Blushing, I shook my head. "Nothing"

Michael grinned at me and both of us started walking again.  Michael led me downstairs, outside, and much to my chagrin we passed several people from security and landscaping as we went.

"Michael....where exactly are we going?"

Michael turned to look at me, pressed a finger to his lips, and walked me down the pathway until we were quiet a bit away from the house. 

"....Michael?"

Michael continued walking, ignoring my questions, until we stopped at a large tree on top of a hill. 

"Here we are."

"We're.....where?"

Michael led me over underneath the tree.  The dew on the grass was cool against my bare feet and I quickly sat in Michael's lap as he settled against the bark. 

Michael placed his hands on my arm and moved them back and forth to help get me warm quicker.  Pulling my hair on my left shoulder, I leaned back and closed my eyes enjoying being close to him.

Michael pressed a kiss to my neck and I tilted my head up and gave him a kiss.

"Mmkay...what were you wanting to show me?"

Michael reached behind the tree and pulled out a small binder.  Cocking my head, I stared at it curiously. 

"We're setting a date.  Right now."

Surprised, I bit my lip and glanced down as Michael opened the pages and started flipping through them.  "But I thought that with your schedule we were going to have to wait awhile and play it by ear..." 

Michael shook his head and looked at me seriously.  "No more Lex.  It's time.  Everything else can wait."


‘Okay then....by why did you want to do it out here?"

"Because this is where we should get married." Michael motioned outside.  "I was out here earlier working on music and it hit me...why not skip the church thing and do it at home?"

Surprised, I glanced around the grounds with renewed appreciation.  For the last few months Janet and I had been making very vague plans waiting for Michaels to schedule to clear up enough to actually set a date but in all of that time it had never occurred to either of us to have the wedding at the house.  It was perfect.

"I love it."
 
_______________________________________________________________________

"This is nice."

A roaring fire crackled in the corner of the room and Michael's arms were tucked around me on the leather couch in the living area.  A red cashmere blanket draped over us, the large velvet curtains were draped shut outside shutting out the rest of the world.  Feeding each other popcorn from a large metal bowl on my lap, Michael and I had been sitting the last few hours talking and making plans.  Snuggled up against his chest I pulled the sleeves of my oversized sweatshirt down over my wrists and leaned my head back against his neck.  Michael pressed a kiss to my temple and grabbed another kernel.

"Too bad we can't do this more often."

Michael's hair thrown back in a ponytail, his chiseled cheekbones made his eyes seem even larger than they normally did.  Reaching up and caressing his cheek with my hand Michael burrowed his head in my neck.

"Mmm...no kidding."


"Do you really have to go back into the studio tomorrow?"


Michael's hands slid under my shirt and caressed my stomach.  Letting a small sigh escape I closed my eyes and listened to his heartbeat.

Michael's face crinkled and his eyes looked apologetic.  "Unfortunately yes."
Shrugging my shoulders, I tossed another kernel in my mouth.

"At least we've made some plans...That doesn't feel like such an impossible feat anymore."

Michael wiped the popcorn grease off his hands and clasping my waist, leaned both of us down so that he could reach his water bottle down on the coffee table.

"Were you starting to feel like it would never happen?"

Shrugging my shoulders, I looked down at the bowl.

"Maybe."

"Lex, I know I haven't acted like it lately with everything that's going on...but you always come first. No matter what happens."

Michael's words made me smile. Leaning back against his chest I let out a small sigh.  "I know."

And I did...most of the time.

"Although if you keep abusing me...on national television....and tossing water bottles on me that MAY change."

Rolling my eyes I smacked him in the arm.

"See! JUST LIKE THAT!"

I smacked him again.

"SOMEONE! QUICK! CALL 9-11!!"

"Michael!"  I laughed covering my eyes with my hands.  "Stop! Someone is going to seriously think your being abused."

"OW! LEXI NO! MY BRUISES ARE GOING TO SHOW THIS TIME!"

Rolling my eyes to the ceiling I threw my hands up in the air.

"I give up.  Your officially impossible."

"And just think.  Your stuck with me for the rest of your LIFE.  Scary huh?"
"Somedays."

Michael let out a low growl and reached for my waist.

"Kidding!"  I squealed squirming in his arms.

Michael cocked an eyebrow "Better be."

Chapter End Notes:

PHEW! THREE CHAPTERS UP IN 24 Hours! I think ive set my new personal best :).

Lots of stuff getting ready to unfold in the next few chapters so i thought i would give you guys some nice calm ones first! Thank you guys SO SO SO much for sticking with me.  Your guys love and encouragement is what has kept me going.  Let me know what you guys think!!

Much Love
Leah