- Text Size +

1 Week later
San Diego Zoo

Bright puffy clouds encased the light blue sky and the tan pathways leading to the various animals in the zoo were clear of other pedestrians.  Large lush trees surrounded the landscape and in excitement I noticed the penguin house just a few yards away.

 

"Michael! Look!"

My arms wrapped tightly around Michael's neck, Michael gave me a small chuckle and jumped a bit bouncing me on his shoulders.

"Hey!"

My ponytail bounced wildly as I scrambled to maintain my grasp.  My squeals were met by laughter below.  Wrapping my jean short clad legs around his waist I shot him a quick glare and rested my chin on his head.

"What was that for?"

"Because I love you baby.  All because I love you."

"Mmhmm"

Fingering my silver tank top I adjusted the bottom of my shirt and reached on top of my head to slide my sunglasses down. Both of us had decided last night after watching the news that we could both use another break and some alone time so we had decided to take a few days out of the public eye and spend it doing some of the things we hadn't gotten to do together in forever.  Like, for example go to the zoo without being bombarded.  So SOMEHOW Michael had been able to get the zoo shutdown in a matter of hours for us to come and visit.


My guess? The person in charge was a woman.  This man's voice could melt glaciers.

"So I take it we are headed to the penguin house next?"  Michael's voice was filled with amusement.  I peaked down and looked at him and in excitement I nodded my head yes.

"Or......we could visit the reptile exhibit."

Michael turned his head so that he could see my expression.  His eyes gleaming mischievously, Michael cocked his head towards the reptile house and took a step towards the doorway.

"ARE YOU KIDDING ME! DON'T. YOU. DARE!"

Michael's eyes lit up and his laughter grew the tighter my grasp on his neck got. .  Dressed in dark denim jeans and a plaid blue and grey shirt Michael looked as adorable as he did mischievous as he went at first slowly and then in a full blown run to the reptile house.  Hiding my face in his hair, my screams were muffled as Michael took the stairs two at a time and swung the door open.

"Now this is a place we could stay all day."

"Mmffummspla"

My voice was completely muffled, and my fingers were turning white from fear as Michael went from one exhibit to the next pointing out every snake and alligator he could find.

"Excuse me, sir, but would you like to hold one?"

My heart stopped.  Releasing my death vice on Michael I fell back slightly before I repositioned my arms.  Glancing up I saw an older man in khaki shorts and a teal zoo shirt.  A large key ring dangling from his hand the man looked at both of us innocently and pointed over towards a large case on the left.

"Michael don't even think abou-"

"Sure, we'd love to!"

The large stone building filled with trees, silently I wondered if I hopped off Michael's back and made a run for it if I could hide long enough for Michael to take pity on me and leave the exhibit. 

Probably not.

"Baby, PLEASE NO!!"

Frantically I clung tightly to Michael's torso and my squeals grew louder the closer we got to it.  Laughing hysterically, Michael stepped into the small exhibit room the snake was displayed in and glanced up at me.

"I'm sorry did you say something?"

"Muufoolooveks"

My voice became muffled again as I hid my face back against his head.  Michael and the zoo worker exchanged a few words while my eyes were closed.  Not feeling anything slithering against my skin a few minutes later I tentatively peaked up to see us walking towards the exit door.

"Where are we going?" 

Michael hopped slightly, bouncing me up and getting a better grasp on my legs, and pushed the door open with his hip.

"Do you really think I'd put a snake on you Lex? Knowing how afraid you are?"

Leaning down slightly I kissed his cheek. 

"Yes.  Yes I do."

Michael giggled and for a few more hours Michael and I wandered the zoo taking pictures and making total tourists out of ourselves.  Finally after a few hours Michael and I were exhausted.  Hopping down from his waist, Michael slipped his hand in mine and we headed towards the zoo entrance to wait for our car.

"Did you have fun?"

A large fountain behind us the sound of the water falling from the large elephant sculpture made it a bit harder to hear.  Stopping in front of him I released his hand and wrapped my arm around his waist.

"I always have fun when we are together."

Michael's eyes softened, and leaning down Michael laid a soft kiss on my lips.

"Although...there is something I've been waiting a couple of hours to do."  Moving my head back, I glanced behind me and lightly pushed Michael into the water.

"What the-!"

Michael's body was completely submerged.  Raising both hands to my mouth I loud out a loud giggle.  My shoulders shaking violently Michael's dark brown curls clung to the sides of his face and his plaid shirt clung tightly against his torso as he placed both of his hands on the sides of the fountain to steady himself.  Staring at me in disbelief water cascaded down his shoulders.  Shooting him a wink I blew a kiss and doubled over in laughter.

"For that, you are going to pay."

Water spilled over the sides of the fountain as he climbed over the edge and made his way towards me.  Letting out another loud scream I glanced back behind me towards the entrance and took off running.

"Oh no you don't!"

Michael caught up to me in only a few paces.  Scooping me up in his arms I squealed and kicked wildly as he walked back over to the fountain and dropped me in.

"NOOO!!"

Clinging tightly to Michael's shirt, Michael lost his balance and came right over the edge with me. 

"Are you too ready to go yet?"

The water was ice cold and as soon as I surfaced I saw Frank standing in front of us, a smirk on his face.  Dressed in a dark black suit and a blue dress shirt, Frank was tapping his watch and motioning towards the car.

"Now we are."