- Text Size +



"I SAID FOR YOU TO GET. ME. ANOTHER. SHIRT. NOW."

Rolling my eyes to the ceiling, tall wooden beams glimmered beneath the shards of sunlight glittering through the tall windows overlooking miles of trees.  Inhaling a deep breath, I resisted the urge to scream and watched the leaves billowing in the wind.

"Lauren" I responded calmly, resisting the urge to lose my temper, "I've already told you there's nothing I can do about it.  That's all that your mom sent over for yo-"

"AND I'VE ALREADY TOLD YOU..." Lauren's eyes narrowed to slits.  Standing in front of me in a pair of turquoise colored tights and an off the shoulder black silk top, Lauren's long narrow fingers clamped tighter over the fabric as she took a step towards me, cheeks flushed.

"THAT IF I DON'T GET THAT SHIRT IMMEDIATELY I AM GOING TO"

"Lauren go screw yourself."

Michael's normally soft voice interrupted Lauren's rant.  Choking on my gum in surprise, Michael's arms wrapped around my waist from behind.

Lauren's mouth widened to a full circle.  Soaking in the startled look on her face I let out a chuckle and spun around in Michael's arms.

Michael's hair was pulled back behind him in a pony tail.  A couple of soft curls framing his face, Michael's light complexion made his large brown eyes look even larger and his lips even fuller.  Leaning in to give him a kiss my hand brushed against the cool blue silk fabric of his dress shirt.

"Well hello there."  Tilting my head slightly, my eyes twinkled mischievously as I dropped my arm back down to his waist and looped my fingers in his black dress pants belt loops.  "Come to join us?"

"More like I'm on a break."

Letting out a fake sigh, Michael's eyes crinkled mischievously and he nudged his head in Lauren's direction.

"Still having fun I see"

Michael let out a small huff as I elbowed him in the ribs.

"If you want to keep those pretty little curls from getting chopped off in the middle of the night I'd keep my mouth quiet if I were you."

"Right, cause I'm sure you'd do that."

 


This was the first time I had seen him all day.  Downtown in LA, Michael was working on some promo shots for a magazine and had left the ranch before I had even woken up.   Promising him I would head down and wait for him when he was ready to go home me and my very obnoxious babysitting charge had headed down to the studio a couple of hours ago. Not surprisingly the shoot was taking longer than expected.


"Michael we need you back on set."

Anna's dark brown bob and dark rimmed glasses appeared in the doorway.  Clipboard in hand, Anna tapped her watch and waited for Michael to acknowledge her before disappearing again in the hallway.

Glancing back at Michael in confusion I glanced from him to the doorway "Seriously? You just got here.  Aren't your breaks usually longer than like, five minutes?" 

Impishly, Michael kissed me on the nose and leaned in close to whisper in my ear.

"I told them I was going to the bathroom so I could sneak in here and give you a kiss. And do this."

Michael's arm slipped down to my dark denim skinny jeans.  Feeling a slight pinch on my butt I shrieked back and sent Michael another death glare.

"Get out of here!" Resisting the urge to giggle, I forced myself to look stern as Michael gave me another irresistible giggle and spun back around to walk out the door.

"You're a lucky woman Lexi just admit it."

Michael's parting remark was meant in sarcasm, but even with the slight sting from his pinch I couldn't deny the smart alleck reply watching him leave the room.  That man was crazy gorgeous.

"OoOo Lexi's in love how SWEET. BUT WHAT ABOUT MY SHIRT?"

Lauren's sugary sweet tone morphed into the demanding rage lunatic it had been before Michael entrance in less than a second. Mumbling a string of profanities under my breath I resisted the urge to shove Lauren in one of the large trunks behind us and instead I clenched my fist at my side again and reached up to tuck a stray hair behind my ear.

"Could you just sit down and play on your cell phone until he's finished? Please?"

"Could you just sit down? Please?"  Lauren mimicked me, crinkling her nose in disgust.  "I'LL SIT DOWN WHEN I. GET. MY. SHIRT."

Someone needs to shoot this child with a tranquilizer dart.

 

Ignoring Lauren's theatrics, I walked across the room to an overstuffed white leather chair and sat down.  Crossing my legs I zoned out until I felt a tap on my shoulder.  Startled I jumped in my seat and glanced up to see Michael standing in front of me.  A leather coat thrown over his shirt, Michael's large duffle was slung over his shoulder.

"You two ready to go?"  Michael smiled wryly, nodding in Lauren's direction.

Glancing down at my cell I realized another hour had passed. 

"I know I am."

Hair tumbled down my shoulders as I reached down beside me and grabbed my small gold clutch.  Wiggling my feet back into my strappy sandals, I stood and took a step towards Michael.  Resting his hand on the back of my waist Michael and I waited patiently for Lauren to grab her mountain of stuff.

Watching her struggle under the weight of her duffle, purse, makeup bag, and plethora of other things Michael released my waist and walked over effortlessly taking her duffle from here.

"Here I'll take this."

Glancing up at him with large doe eyes Lauren gave Michael a seductive grin and batted her eyes.

"Oh thank you Michael.  Aren't you just wonderful?"

Rolling my eyes, I ignored the flirtation Lauren was throwing Michael's way.  In the last few months it had finally dawned on Lauren who Michael was and ever since then every time she was within ten feet of him she was constantly replying to him with sugary sweet remarks and finding every opportunity possible to get close to him.

Michael smiled tightly.  "No problem".

Michael walked back over to me and slipped his arm around the back of my waist.  Grabbing ahold of the door Michael swung it open for Lauren and I.  We took off in the maze of hallways.

"Is that her?"

The closer we got to the entryway we were supposed to meet Michael's car the more crowded the hallways became.  The noise echoed loudly and seemed to consume everyone even as we entered the main room. Nerves rose within me, tightening my throat as Michael's bodyguards came into view.  Forcing myself to ignore the stares I glanced around for Frank.  Spotting him across the room I caught his eye and lifted my hand to wave.   Giving him confused look Frank's eyes immediately darted to the ground making my apprehension grow even more.
 
Something was not right.
 
"Michael...do you know what's going on?"

Glancing around the room Michael's shoulders shrugged.  "No, but I'm sure it's nothing."

"You think it has something to do with the cat last night?"

Visions from my past flashed before me.  Instinctively I knew that Michael was downplaying everyone's pointed stares to keep me from panicking but in the back of my mind I wondered what was going on.

"Lex I told you...it was probably just a stray."  Michael's eyes softened and releasing my waist he stepped in front of me and reached his hands up to cup my face.

"Everything is ok."

Inhaling a deep breath I gave Michael a slow nod.  "Okay."

Michael gave me a smile and reached down to clasp my hand in his.

Surely he was right.

It was possible that the pointed stares and whispers were because of who he was and that I was being paranoid.  Shoving the negative thoughts from my mind Michael and I walked forwards towards the bodyguards and waited as they cleared the area.

"All clear Mr. Jackson.  We're ready for you."

Frank and Michael's other bodyguard swung the tinted glass doors open. 

"But I feel we should warn you..."

Both voices were drowned out as the doors opened.  My eyes widening in surprise, Michael's hand squeezed mine as we were met with reporters on either sides of the barricade his guards had set up.   Mics shoved in front of them they began shooting us with questions rapid fire.

"Michael!"

"Michael!"

Michael protectively jerked me closer to him.  Tucking my head against his chest we moved forward quickly trying to get to the car.

"Michael! Is it true that you fathered a child WHILE you were with Lexi?"

"Michael! Is it true that your child's alleged mother is suing you for a DNA sample for DNA testing?"

"Michael! Is it true that you paid Lexi to stay with you despite the infidelity?"

Speechless Michael and I got into the car.  Tossing the duffles on the floor Michael released my hand and leaned back against the cool leather seats.  Placing both hands over his face Michael let a groan.

"How did they find OUT?" I whispered urgently, glancing out the window.

"I don't know.

"So...how much am I getting paid to stay with you?"

Michael's fingers slid open.  Glaring at me underneath his hands I gave Michael a small smile.  Laying my clutch down beside me I climbed on top of his lap and gently pulled his hands down.

"Because I was thinking at least ten mill. Maybe twenty."

A small smile formed on Michael's face.  Reaching up I ran my fingers through his hair and leaned forward, giving him a gentle kiss.

"And maybe a Ferrari."

Michael rolled his eyes.

"Your impossible."

"Yep.  Impossibly budging on the Ferrari."

Michael's strained face completely relaxed at my teasing and, letting out a small growl, Michael picked me up off his lap and laid me down on the seat.  Positioning himself above me Michael pulled my hands down above my head and cocked an eyebrow.

"Let's see....what to do what to do."

"EWW! OMG GROSS!"

Lauren's shrieks filled the car.  Pulling my sweater down I glanced over at her to see that she had finally stopped texting and had come up for air.

"WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! YOU CAN'T DO THE NASTY IN FRONT OF ME!"

Biting the inside of my cheek to keep from laughing I looked up at Michael and shot him a wink.

"You mean like this?"

I grabbed Michael's shirt and pulled him closer to me for a kiss.

"WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?!"

Michael's eyes brimmed with laughter as we pretended to "make out" in front of Lauren.

"THAT. IS. SO. WRONG. OMG!"

Shoving my face into Michael's jacket I dissolved into laughter. 

"I'M GOING TO SUE!"

"MMM...LEXI I LOVE YOU SO MUCH"

"OH YES I LOVE YOU TOO"

A loud cough from the other side of the limo came from Frank and both Michael and I looked over at him.

"This is starting to get disturbing."

Michael smacked my butt and, giggling, lifted up so I could slide out from underneath him.

"No kidding."

Lauren high fived Frank as Michael and I tugged our hair and clothes back into shape.  Snuggling next to Michael I felt his cell phone vibrate on the seat next to us. 

Michael's brow furrowed once again as he answered the phone.  Watching his face intently the seriousness of the press finding out a moment ago resurfaced.  Letting out a small sigh Michael agreed to something and ended the call.

"Frank, could you please tell the driver to go to 1192 Sunset instead please."

Frank nodded his head and turned in his seat to knock on the privacy glass.  Setting the phone on the other side of him Michael reached down and squeezed my hand.


"Where are we going?"

"To a press conference.  Frank scheduled one immediately.  Evidently the stuff they said about her seeking an order for DNA was true.  He wants to do some damage control and he wants me to do it now before we're served with a court order."

Chapter End Notes:

Hey Guys! :)

WOW! I can't BELIEVE how long has passed! Oh my goodness!!! Just letting you guys know I haven't forgotten about this story.  There is still a lot more to come! I'm going to try to update again before Monday.  If you haven't "Favorited" this story yet it would probably be the best way to keep up with updates since you get alerts when it's updated.  

Thanks so much for all my fantastic readers.

Much <3
Leah