- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 

Michael's eyes widened.

Soft ringlets of hair clung to his forehead, and I clenched my jaw and willed myself not to look at the purple ring forming around his soft chocolate eyes.

"Anytime Michael."

Pulling a strand of hair back from my neck, I sucked in a deep breath and waited for an explanation. 

There had to be a good reason...because if not...

I couldn't let myself go there.

Michael remained silent, and nervous anticipation held me completely still as I watched the inner turmoil in his expression.  Taking the paper from my hands the note crinkled beneath his fingertips.  Noises from outside the dressing area could be heard on the other side of the doorway and in an effort to take my mind off the present situation I listened to the checklists and dancers chatter as Frank and I waited for Michael to begin.

Every moment felt like a million. Never would I have ever imagined...

Closing my eyes, I tried to imagine a future without Michael by my side.  With him having a child of his own that wasn't with me.

I wasn't sure which thought hurt worse.

Memories flooded my subconscious, and my arms brushed against the soft fabric of my skirt as I crossed my arms in front of me and began toying with my engagement ring.

I couldn't even remember my life before him... this all just felt so wrong.

Inhaling a deep breath, my mind felt overwhelmed and I trembled imaging Michael with another women.

"Lexi.."

Michael's soft voice broke my thoughts and opening my eyes I saw compassion in his eyes.  Glancing over at Frank I nodded towards the door.

"We'll sort this out alone Frank...ok?"


Frank's eyes shot daggers over towards Michael.  Taking a step towards him, Frank ran a finger under his jaw indicating he'd kill Michael if he hurt me. 

"I'll be RIGHT outside." Frank growled, turning on his heel and heading for the door.

The door opened and clicked shut behind him.  Opening his arms Michael gently reached forward and tugged on my arm, silently asking me to sit down on his lap while he explained.

"Please Lex..."

Looking for comfort despite my warring emotions, I stepped forward and placed my hands against the folds of my dress as I positioned myself in his lap.

Moving my hair to my left shoulder, Michael's arms wrapped around my waist and gently he pressed a kiss to the side of my head.

"I didn't want to involve you in this yet Lex...but I guess it's time."

No kidding.


"Do you remember back when you were in the hospital a couple of years ago Lex?  When you got hit by the car? Well, the nurse...Megan."

"Are you KIDDING ME? That HOOKER?"

"Lex...do you want me to finish?"

Mumbling under my breath I nodded.

"Okay.  A few months ago on tour I got served with child support papers from Megan.  She's claiming that her and I had sex in the hospital while you were recovering and-"

"Wait a minute..."  Crinkling my brow I held up a hand motioning for him to stop.  "Michael isn't that who I caught you in the closet with?"

Glancing back I saw Michael inhale a deep breath and slowly nod his head.  "It is but Lex...I swear nothing happened."

Biting the corner of my lip I forced myself to keep listening.

"In the last couple of weeks she's started sending the letters and pictures too. Lexi I swear..."  Michael's words drifted off, and I felt his arms tighten around my waist as he swallowed back his emotions and tried again.

"I swear nothing happened.  Don't you know how much you mean to me? I-I can't lose you over this..."

Michael's explanation did little to calm my fears. 

Absently I glanced down at my skirt and ran my hands over the fabric.  Smoothing it against my leg I forced myself not to cry and tried to make sense of what he had just said.

"It just...doesn't look very good Michael.  That baby..."

Michael sighed.  "Looks a LOT like me...I know."

"How old is it?"

Michael's silence told me everything I needed.

"If you add up the months...It was conceived about the time you were in the hospital."

This couldn't be happening.

Closing my eyes I trembled.

"Baby....Please..I don't know what's going on but I swear as bad as it looks NOTHING happened."

" You promise nothing happened?"

"I promise."

Emotions warred within me.  Warred against the trust Michael had built up within me.  To not believe him would mean losing him.  Would mean choosing logic and accepting the evidence at face value. To believe him would mean trusting him based on the love we shared.  Based on years of memories and countless conversations revealing Michael's heart. 

What did I really feel deep inside me?

..."Okay."

I clasped his hands and loosened his grip so that I could turn around in his lap.  Looping my legs around his waist, I slipped my arms around his neck and looked into his eyes.

The eyes of the only man that had never lied to me. He deserved at least a chance.

"Okay?"

Running a hand down the side of his face, I leaned in and pressed a kiss to his nose.

"If you said you didn't....then you didn't."

Michael's eyes welled up with tears and, swallowing back my own I leaned forward, capturing his lips in a kiss.

"Lexi...I love you so much"  He breathed, his hands clasping my hair.

"I love you too..." I whispered softly, laying my forehead against his.

"We'll get through this mess...together."

 

Chapter End Notes:

What do you guys think? Is Michael being truthful? EEEE!!

<3 <3 Leah