- Text Size +

Lexi Michael at the arena
Frank

"Would someone like to tell me what is going ON around here?"

Furious I stormed into the double doors of the arena Michael was supposed to be at, getting ready for a benefit concert. After a few hours of moping around the house about my discovery, I had hopped in a car and driven over here to confront him. 

Beyond furious, my eyes scanned the large room.  Mostly empty, the large arena echoed with the sounds from the stage and lights illuminated the mostly dim, concrete arena. Looking around the room, I took in all of the empty black chairs.  Not seeing anyone other than a few event organizers my head swung towards the stage.  Breathing deeply, I felt cool air tickle against my neck as some large fans rotated the air and I started forward.

Waving the note above my head, I cocked an eyebrow as I felt the adrenaline mix with the intense rage I was feeling and my arms shook against the sides of my white and gold bohemian dress as I moved forward.

"I need an explanation." I heard myself bellow, my gold heels clicking against the concrete rapidly.  NOW. Or there is going to be a dead pop star in this arena"

...Could I get tackled from security for saying that out loud?  Oh well.  I really didn't care.  As long as I was able to get to him first.

Heads whipped around in my direction from the stage, and several pairs of eyes glanced at me curiously as the dancers and musicians stopped their preparations.  Standing in the mix I saw Chris and Natalie standing together in their black tights and t-shirts and I gave them a once over before my eyes focused on my primary target in the center of the stage.

He had SO much explaining to do. 

Keeping my eyes locked on him, I watched the smile that had been on his face moments before when speaking to Anna and Frank disappear as I shoved a microphone stand out of my way and chewing his bottom lip I saw Michael squint, trying to figure out what I was holding.

"Michael! Get your good for nothing, cheating piece of s-"

"Lexi! Get a grip."

Frank's big familiar hand clamped down over my shoulder from behind and I let out an irritated growl and swallowed back a sharp retort as I turned to face him.

"What's going on?" 

 



At work since before I had found the note, Frank's piercing blue eyes watched me with a mix of surprise and curiosity.  Rolling my eyes, I forced myself to remember that Frank had no idea what my rage was about and was only trying to calm me down before I embarrassed everyone in the room.

Which, he had no chance of doing.  After letting what I found out process, the grief had quickly turned to indignation, disbelief, and rage.  Pure woman done wrong rage.  So Frank had a better chance of getting a gorilla to floss his teeth than he did getting me calmed down.

Tapping my foot impatiently against the floor, I adjusted the narrow metallic gold belt around my waist and tossed my hair over my shoulder.

"Not now..." I growled, turning my head to see Michael jogging down the side stage entrance. "I have a rat to ki-"

"Ooo-kay. I obviously have no choice."

Frank's hand left my shoulder, and before I had a chance to speak I felt myself being hoisted over his shoulder and being carried out of the arena.

"Are you KIDDING me?" I cried indignantly, feeling the straps of my shoes get tangled between my toes"

"You've been around Janet to long."

Frank's steady stride only slowed momentarily as he turned and slammed the doors open behind us.  Cocking my head to the side I saw that Michael had quickened his pace and was following after us.

"Frank. Put. Me. Down."

Spanking my butt lightly, Frank chuckled and shook his head.  "I don't think so Lex.  We are going to talk about this."

"I never liked you."

"Of course you didn't"

Frank's sarcastic retort and easy chuckle relaxed my nerves a bit and I closed my eyes and laid my head against his neck.  Feeling his heartbeat beneath the soft leather coat and white undershirt, the security of being held in Frank's protective arms made a bit of the vulnerability and fear from earlier rise to the surface of my emotions and I blinked a couple of times to keep the tears at bay.

What was he going to say when I confronted him?

My thoughts drifting back to Michael I willed myself not to cry and reminded myself that no matter the outcome, this was NOT my fault.  And that somehow, I would make it through it.

"Alright Lex. Here we are."

My nose inhaled the scent of Frank's cologne, and taking another steadying breath I raised my head from his neck and wiped a few strands of hair from my eyes.

Frank cracked the door open to Michael's dressing room and I peaked over his shoulder as he turned to shut the door.

"Isn't Michael on his way in?"

Kicking the door shut with his leg, Frank swung me around, exposing the white couch, makeup vanity, chair, fridge, and large snack bar that had been provided to make the long hours Michael would be here preparing a bit less grueling.  Walking towards the couch, Frank gently tossed me on the couch and took a seat beside me.  Feeling the silk dress bunch underneath me I shifted my legs and pulled it out to drape over the edge. 

"He is, but I locked the door.  I wanted to hear your side to whatever is going on first."

Frank shifted on the couch and placed his arm around me.  "Alright Lele. Why don't you tell me what's going on."

Taking a deep breath, I relaxed my head against Frank's shoulder and quickly recounted everything, from finding the picture in Michael's office to the note I had found earlier.  Frank listened wordlessly, nodding in appropriate places, and when I got to the end of my concerns Frank's eyes had darkened and his lips were pursed together tightly.

"Is there any way this is just some crazy fan though Lex...? I mean maybe this was an understanding.  Where did you find the note?"

"...In the presorted mail.  It was sent to the address Michael only gives out to people privately."

Frank's eyes reflected his surprise.  "You mean this wasn't sent to the general..."

I shook my head no.

A knock sounded on the door, and Frank's head jerked quickly in the direction of the noise.

"Lex...? What's going on?"

"I'm going to KILL him"

Frank's growl was low, almost guttural, as he quickly shot off the couch and towards the door.

"Weren't you the one a few minutes ago telling ME to calm down?"

Frank turned and gave me a glare before opening the door.

Peaking around Frank, I saw Michael standing on the other side with a curious look on his face.

"What's going o-"

Michael didn't have a chance to say a word before Frank's fist connected with his jaw.  Letting out a shriek I hopped off the couch and raced over to them as Michael's body thudded to the ground.

"Frank! No!"

Michael's body twisted as he hit the floor, and quickly I bent down over Michael and inspected his jaw.

"Would someone...PLEASE....tell me what is going ON with you two?"

Michael's eyes were stormy as he glanced between the two of us.  His tone, angry and cold, made the worry and fear I had felt moments ago dissipate and, digging into the small white pocket on my dress I tossed him the note. 

"What's up with US? Explain this."