- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Michael decides to take his sister Janet to the Circus. She begs him for a ride on the carousel, and he gives in. Little did he know, it would be the ride of his life.

"Because of you, the sound of children's laughter, the whistle of a steam train or the whirl of a carousel will always bring a smile to our hearts."


 

The sound of the calliope danced around my ears. Classical music was something I had always enjoyed. I started to hum, along when my little sister infected my train of thought.

“Eww, it smells like old, nasty horse poop!” Janet complained, loudly.

“Shut up, Dunk. You were the one who wanted to come here in the first place. ‘Please, Michael. I’ll be good. I promise.’”  I quoted.

People were giving me the eye, but none had dared to approach me yet. After giving my bodyguard the ‘slip’, Janet had begged me to take her to ride the carousel. So here we stood, in line, like normal people, waiting for our turn on the carousel.

“That was before I knew how bad it smelled. ‘Sides, since your new album came out, you haven’t had time for me.” She folded her arms, across her chest, and jutted out her bottom lip.

“Aww, Dunk. Don’t be like that. Just wait. “Off The Wall” is gonna’ be—well off the wall.” I looked up and realized we were next in line. “Oh, gee. We’re up next. What do I do?” I started to panick, and look at Janet for support.

I know, I know. Why should the BIG brother be asking the LITTLE sister for help? Truth is, Janet was better at this ‘normal’ stuff, than I was. Having been raised away from all of the music, she could actually go out without getting stampeded. I on the other hand, was sweating like a pig. It had been dumb to leave Bill.

“Hand her the tickets, Stupid.” Janet muttered.

“Don’t call me stupid, Stupid!” I protested.

“Next in line.” The woman—more of a girl, than woman called.

I dug in my back pocket, and extracted two tickets, timidly handing them to her. She took them, barely glancing up. “Aren’t you a little too old to be riding the carousel?” She asked.

I chuckled, nervously. “I didn’t know there was an age limit to riding the rides.”

“Michael, shut up, and go.” Janet whined.

“You’re the first person that I’ve met today, who’s said something like that.” The girl beamed. “Other people usually just get mad, and tell me to mind my own business. I honestly don’t see anything wrong with it. If you wanna’ be a kid, then be a kid before you’re old, and wrinkly.” She grinned.

She looked up for the first time, and her eyes met mine. Dark blue eyes filled with shock,  framed by long curly eyelashes. Laugh lines covered the outside of her eyes. She was the first to look away, tucking a strand of dark curly hair behind her ear.

“I’m not other people.” I shrugged.

“You’re Michael Jackson. Of course you’re not.” She murmured.

“Not like that. I believe in fun. Life would be boring if you weren’t silly once in awhile.” I laughed.

“I know how you feel.” She gasped. “I ran away when I was nine—ironically enough, to come live with the circus.”

“Hey!” Janet complained. “Are we gonna’ ride.”

“Janet, don’t you see people already on there? We have to wait.” I pointed out.

“But,  I don’t want to wait! Tell them to get off.” Janet demanded.

“I can’t just tell them to get off!” I winked at the girl, who was covering her mouth in her hand. She was laughing, and her eyes just lit up when she laughed.

 “Michael, do you like her? I think he likes you. See, he’s blushing—Mike, you like her, dontcha’?” I covered her mouth in my hand.

“This is my sister Janet. Don’t mind her.”

Janet pulled my hand off of her mouth, and frowned. “See, look they’re done. Can we go on? Please?” Sure enough, people were sliding off of the horses, and exiting out of the back gate.

“Ok, first twenty people.” The girl—I didn’t know her name called. A short man, who wasn’t even APPROACHING five feet walked over, and spoke to her.

“Rose—you can go now. Your shift ended three hours ago.”

She opened the gate for us. “But, Jim, this is the funnest part of the fair. I love to watch the kids. Just one more round?” She begged.

“Fine. But then, you’re gonna’ go and get some chow.”

“Yay! All aboard the S.S Carousel.” She shouted in this fake conductor’s voice.

Janet cheered with glee, and ran right pass the gate. I watched as she picked out a large pink unicorn… thingie, and tried in vain to climb it. Being the big brother I was, I walked over, and lifted her up onto it. By the time I got to my horse, there was nothing left but this, ugly brown horse, that was in desperate need of a good waxing. I didn’t mind though. As I swung my legs over, the calliope started back up, and the ride started to go round, and round. I waved at the girl—Rose was her name, and she waved back, grinning broadly.

I felt like a kid again. I really did. I was just so happy all of a sudden. I waved at the fans that had crowded around to catch a glimpse of me. I rested my head against the horse—let’s call him Bob. Rose—for that was her name, was arguing with the short man, again. She gestured wildly to the ride, and back at herself. She really was something else. Maybe, I’d ask her to join for popcorn, and candy.

The echo of little children laughing, sounded in my ear. It was almost magical, if one believes in those sorts of things. I did.  If I listened hard enough, I could hear  the pony rides that was the cause of the ‘smell.’ This wasn’t my world. I belonged in a world of disappointment, and confusion—oh boy, here comes Bill, and man was he mad!

“Hi, Bill.”  Janet called out, happily.

Bill marched over to Rose, and started gestulating angrily. She frowned at him, and shook her head. Bill, acted quicker than I had seen in a long time, slammed his hand on the stop button, and the ride slowly spun to a stop. As we exited out the back gate, he came around and started yelling instantly.

“You could have been kidnapped! They could have mobbed you! Do you have a death wish?”

“Bill, It’ s ok. They left us alone.” Janet said, happily.

“We are GOING home. NOW!” Bill grasped us each by the arm, and pulled us along. I was twenty-one years old, and I was being treated like a child…


 

Seven months later…

 The album sales skyrocketed a couple months back. I can’t believe it. Bill practically stalks me wherever I go, now. I can’t even go to the bathroom without him there. He has eyes like a hawk. Janet is still a pest, but she’s my little sister, and I love her. I think, if I’m not mistaking, I fell in love with the Circus Girl—who’s name is Rose. I’d like to call it love at first site. I knew her for a few short minutes, and she had me captured. I think about her everyday. Her smile. Her eyes. Her cute little laugh. Secretly, I hoped she liked me, the way I liked her.  I never did get that date with Rose. I didn’t belong in her world anyways….http://8020.photos.jpgmag.com/1645857_207572_6a8bac9662_p.jpg


Two months later…

They say that the circus came today. Sometimes, from my house, I can hear the calliope, and I know she’s there. I know she’s waiting...

Chapter End Notes:

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/33709875/Michael+Jackson+Carousel.jpg

(Wrong Era, but you get the picture...literally.:D)

Btw, I happen to love the song "Carousel.