- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

 This has to be my least favorite chapter, even if it's supposed to be the most important. :L

(LOL September reference no one will get in the title.)

 

Of course when something finally draws to a close, something else starts. If only I had known it would-if it could-go this far.

It was September; about 5 months after all of this had started. I had spent a good amount of the day staring out the window. When I look back at that, I'm not sure why I did. It was as if I was waiting for something. Or maybe just trying to avoid the voice again. All day, they wouldn't quit, going on about something that was about to happen.

"You're being ridiculous," I kept saying.

But Maestro, they said, they're coming. I know they are. And I think they mean to kill you.

"Now I know I'm crazy," I muttered. "There is no way that-"

I was cut off when something flew through the window, right past my head. Instinctively, I fell to the floor, hoping it wouldn't hit me.

Now do you believe me?

Slowly, I got back to my feet, thinking that everything was fine. Despite a broken window, nothing seemed out of the ordinary. Then I turned around.

Another object flew through the window. It was clear that whoever-or whatever- was throwing these objects, they were aiming for me. I tried to run, but I was almost completely cornered now. On every side of me, there were people blocking any kind of way out. Every one of them was carrying some sort of rock. As I looked at all of them, I could recognize every one of their faces. One of them came forward, holding a particularly big rock. My breath caught in my throat as I saw who was holding it.

Mark.


"Maybe we shouldn't do this," I said nervously as we approached the mansion.

I shouldn't be here. I've been here for like two weeks and here I was, witnessing the whole town rally against this Maestro. From what I've seen-and what that lady told me-he wasn't that bad. Why would people want to do this, anyway?

I hear protests all around me. "We have to."

"He's evil."

"He's a liar."

"But does that mean we need to do this?" I asked.

"I knew you wouldn't be up to this," One boy sneered. "Now just go run back home if you're not up to it."

I could kids snickering in the crowd. Am I the only one that doesn't want to go through with this? Everyone else acted like Maestro was just plain evil now. I hoped that not all of them thought that, but every one of them had at least 3 rocks in their hands. I dropped mine three blocks ago. No one seemed to notice.

"Then, you know what? I will."

"Fine," The boy said sternly. He motioned for everyone to come closer. "So here's what we need to do.

We need to corner him. Make sure he can't get out. I go first, and then we all start. Got it?"

Everyone murmured in agreement.

"Well, are you leaving? Or did you change your mind?"

I watched as everyone disassembled and started towards the mansion. Mark turned back to me, still standing in front of the gates.

"Are you coming or not?" He snapped, turning everyone's attention to me.

I looked at him, completely shocked. This wasn't the boy I knew. Mark was too nice to do something like this to anyone. But here he was, with all of his friends, going off to hurt Maestro, someone that he used to idolize. I'd been here for such a short time and even I could see that.

I turned away from him and the rest of the kids and ran. I felt like I was running faster than an electronic rabbit. I needed to find her. She must know what they were doing. I couldn't let this happen.


How could this have happened? I knew the mayor had said some things, but this couldn't have driven everyone… even the children to do this to me.

Couldn't it? The voice taunted.

Now wasn't the time to listen to them now. Right now, I needed to figure out how to get out of here alive. How could they have even fit so many rocks in their hands? In their pockets, even.

This wasn't right. There was no way they could seriously be beating me to death with rocks.

What are you talking about? Get up. You're being melodramatic. Stand up.

I tried. I couldn't even get to my knees before being brought down again.

I don't understand what's so hard about having to stand up.

"It's kind of hard to when you're being pelted with rocks," I whispered.

Oh, you poor thing. You're more than three times older than most of them. Get over it.

"But there's something wrong here," I muttered. "This just isn't normal. They can't possibly be doing this alone."

"Is he talking to himself?" I heard one of them say.

Oh, great.


I burst through the door, trying to catch my breath. I ran all the way to her house. There was no time to spare.

"What are you doing?" Olive asked, coming down the stairs.

"They," I tried to say between pants, "Everyone…rocks…stop them…"

"Calm down," She said, a concerned look crossing her old face. "What happened?"

I took a deep breath.

"Everyone in town went to the mansion with a bunch of rocks and we need to stop them before they hurt Maestro because I don't hate him and they can't do this and I don't know what else to do!" I explained quickly.

Olive looked at me closely. I imagine I had that look on my face when she first introduced herself and told me about the mansion.

"Alright," She said finally. "Come on."


After what felt like an eternity, I was able to get away. I hid where none of them could find me, hoping they'd eventually give up.

I can't believe you. You just ran away, thinking they'll leave? They aren't stupid. They could do a number of things to the rest of the house.

He was right. Slowly, I opened the door, looking around to make sure no one else was in the hallway. All clear. With a creek, the door opened up, revealing that nothing but the window had been touched.

Good. So the only reason they were here was because of me.

Do you realize what you just said? That's not a good thing.

I looked down at the old wooden floor. What happened to them? What did he do to them? I clenched my fists, trying my hardest not to let this upset me. I couldn't help it.

The only people that actually listened to me, that even tried to communicate with me, had completely betrayed me.

And all I wanted to know was why.

Suddenly, I could see the door open downstairs.

"Hello?" A feminine voice called from the doorway. "Is anybody here?"

"I'll handle this," A familiar voice muttered. "Maestro, where are you?"

Olive. I struggled to my feet, slowly making my way toward the door. There she was, standing just at the foot of the stairs, a young girl close behind her. Olive stepped forward, her expression softening.

"Well, what happened here?" She asked.

 

Chapter End Notes:

 Well, yeah. The name Olive came from... basically nowhere. I was on this name website, and was (once again) looking up Katniss, but then the idea kinda just hit me. So, yeah. Olive is the gypsy. And I would've introduced Layla, but I'll do that later. :D