- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Hey guys!

I changed a few things, and uploaded the new summary and title picture :)

Let me know what you think!!!

Much Love,
Leah



I peeked over my mom's sleeping form to see my dad laying half drunk on the couch and I cringed as he screamed at the small tube television that sat against the wall.

Wait, when had mom fallen asleep?

I glanced nervously at her, and then let my eyes roam over the cracked faded wallpaper, trying to calm my nerves, when I heard my dad yell a racist slur, slam his hand down on the couch, and toss the remote at the television.

Fear crept into my chest and I glanced, timidly over at my dad who had turned his attention to me.

He only hurt me when she was asleep or gone and he had the same look in his eyes I had seen a thousand other times before I ended up nursing dark, purple bruises in my bed at night.

Deciding I was no longer safe, I launched myself off the couch and ran out the front door; not pausing even long enough to grab the light pink coat my teacher had given me after class last week.

I closed my eyes as I stepped out on the front porch; remembering the conversation I had with her vividly.

My teacher, Miss Fox, had slipped the coat over my arms, telling me in a concerned voice that no little girl should be without a coat in the winter. 

It was the only present I would get this year.

...That I had gotten ever.

I kicked the snow against the sidewalk as I thought, achingly, about school the past week.

It had been harder than normal; kids talking excitedly about their plans for Christmas and the presents they expected to receive.  I bit my lip and closed my eyes, the painful memories washing over me, and I felt my lower lip tremble slightly as I thought about all of the things that this time of year made me painfully aware I was missing.

...Like someone other than my teacher who cared what happened to me.

I sighed and began walking down the sidewalk, the snow crunching against my shoes, and I glanced longingly as I came up on a small, brick house that had smoke billowing from it's chimney.

I stopped, captivated by the scene taking place in the living room, and I snuck into the yard and into their bushes before pressing my nose to the cool, glass window pane that displayed the intimate Christmas gathering.

My eyes were wide as I looked at the Christmas lights and well decorated Christmas tree sitting in the middle of the room.  Presents flowed underneath the pine branches and bright, shiny ornaments hung clustered together above them.

I felt my heart crack as my eyes shifted to a little girl and her mom.  The mom was tenderly brushing her daughter's hair, leaning down to kiss her head, and her own eyes gleamed in excitement as the girl bounced up and down in anticipation of opening her presents.

...I had waited my entire life to get just one of those looks, one of those kisses from my mom.

I felt my small, delicate frame shudder and I pulled my long blonde locks over my shoulder before I placed my hands up to my mouth, breathing into them, and I turned away from the window and stepped out of the bushes.

I walked out of the front yard and back onto the sidewalk and I took a labored breath; silently wondering if the tears coursing down my cheeks would freeze and create ice crystals like the ones pasted against my cracked window pane in my bedroom.

I blinked my eyes and bit my lip, looking at my feet as I walked; and I wandered aimlessly down the snow covered path until I felt my body slam against someone.

I fell to the sidewalk and cringed, my body making contact with the concrete.

I felt my left knee throbbing painfully underneath my ripped blue jeans and I blew on the cut, trying to lessen the sting, before glancing up to see who I had bumped into.

My heart sunk.  Krysta Mitchell.

I saw Krysta snicker as she looked down at me and I let out a fearful whimper, using my arms to scoot me away from her tall, stocky frame.

Despite my fear, I glanced longingly at her outfit. Krysta was wearing a nice pair of leather boots, a pair of fashionable jeans, and a beautiful gray wool coat I had only dreamed about owning. I glanced down at my stained, gray sweatshirt and ripped consignment store jeans and closed my eyes tightly, another reminder of my painful childhood surfacing in my mind; telling me I was worthless, that somehow I had done something to deserve the life I had been handed.

I opened my eyes and saw Krysta snicker as she brushed past me, stopping only to hurl a large wad of spit in my hair, before continuing on; laughing and joking with someone about the pathetic piece of trailer trash she had just passed on the sidewalk.

I buried my face in my knees, crying softly. 

I didn't even live in a trailor...but I didn't think it was nice of her to call me that even if I did.  Did they think I wanted to live this way?  That I enjoyed being so different from them?

I sat there, whimpering, as tears fell like large puddles against my knees and I grimaced as the salty tears fell into my fresh wound.

I squeezed my knees tighter together from the pain and continued crying and whimpering until I heard someone shuffle beside me.

I sniffled, glancing up to see a little girl sitting next to me; a boy that looked a bit older than her standing a few inches away.

I glanced curiously at the little girl and her eyes were soft and compassionate and I blinked rapidly; trying to stop the flow of tears.

Was I... just imagining it? Or did she have a look of understanding in her eyes?

I saw her glance up at her big brother and he smiled before bending down slightly and sticking his hand out.

"I'm Michael" he said his large, almond shaped eyes radiating kindness.

I took his hand and whispered that my name was Lexi before glancing curiously at the little girl that had sat down next to me.

Her soft, brown curls bounced slightly and she gave me her hand.

"I'm Janet" She said, eyes beaming.

I glanced at the two of them, wondering why they had stopped to talk to me, when I saw Janet glance down at my knee and cringe before looking back up at me.

Her eyes flashed angrily as she glanced over my shoulder in the direction Krysta had just walked.

"Did she do that to you and just WALK OFF?" She said loudly, trying to garner a reaction from Krysta that stood still snickering into her phone a few yards away.

I saw her stand up and brush herself off and felt my eyes grow large as her brother looped his arms around her body; preventing her from moving.

His breath was visible in the sharp, cold air as he laughed softly at his sister and I saw her grumble as she struggled; trying desperately to get out of his arms.

"Janet, she could use you over here more than she could at home getting a beating for getting into a fight" He said logically at his vivacious, impetuous sister.

 I felt my eyes grow large.  She was trying to get out of his arms to DEFEND ME?

I glanced at the little girl, silently wondering why'd she do such a thing, when her brother released her waist. I continued watching stunned as she grunted, readjusted her clothes, and glanced back down at me before offering her hand.

I hesistated, scraping my tattered tennis shoe against the icy sidewalk.

Was it a trick? I bit my lip and peered over her shoulder at her brother whose kind eyes stared back at me and I decided it wasn't.

I took her hand and winced, my leg buckling slightly from the pain as I got up; and I saw her brother look at me with concern before motioning with his head to a house a few doors down.

"Listen, Lexi...why don't you come back to the house with us and maybe our mom could help fix your leg for you?"

...Mom's did that?

I nodded my head, overwhelmed by their kindness, and I felt the little girl loop her arm through mine and tug me in the direction of the house.

I felt my heart beating wildly in my chest as we walked down the sidewalk and I glanced at the small home, noticing it was the only other house on the street without Christmas lights.  

I listened as Janet chatted excitedly in my ear before stopping, swinging the front door open, and pulling me through it.

i glanced around soaking in the warm, well lit room; a complete contrast to my own house, and I glanced longingly at the family pictures that graced the length of the hallway.

I saw Michael walk up the stairs  out of the corner of my eye and I studied the bright yellow wallpaper on the walls, silently wondering why it was that they appeared not to celebrate Christmas either.

"This way!" I felt Janet tug once again on my arm, guiding me towards a room that branched off the one I was currently in, and I glanced over at Janet as we skidded to an abrupt halt.   Her eyes shone,wide with excitement and I peeked in the room to see we stood in front of a small, middle age woman that glanced up from her sewing with kind eyes.

I bit my lip slightly, recognizing her from around the neighborhood, and I looked down at my feet nervously as she let out a small gasp and shuffled out of her chair, walking over to where Janet and I were standing.

I saw her bend down in front of me and felt her long, slender fingers cup my face in her hands, gently guiding my face up so that I could look at her.

"Sweet girl...whatever happened?"

I felt a sob rise up in my throat, overwhelmed by her concern for a total stranger, and I spontaneously threw my arms around her neck; weeping silently into her soft brown hair.

It felt so good having someone care....someone pay attention.

I felt her arms wrap around my waist and I inhaled the scent of fresh vanilla that clung to her floral sundress, trying to press the distinct, frightening similarities between her and my mom out of my mind.

I wasn't sure I'd ever go home. Or that I would even be missed if I didn't.

She rubbed my back in slow, soothing circles and I hiccuped, swiping at tears before pulling back to look into her warm, cinnamon colored eyes.

Her brow was furrowed and she tugged a strand of stringy, blonde hair from my eyes as I let out a small gasp.

That's exactly what the little girl down the road's mom had done...that just a few minutes ago I had been praying would happen to me someday.

And now it was.

I heard her tell me her name was Katherine and I glanced over my shoulder as she hurried up the stairs to grab the first aid kit she said was stored in the bathroom.

Janet tugged my arm again and led me across the room to the couch where she sat next to me, breathless with excitement, and I tilted my head slowly observing her.

Her large, expressive  eyes were a beautiful rich, chestnut and her hair was thick; a rich honey brown that flowed freely down her shoulders in large waves.

Her pink turtleneck and jeans were well worn, like my own, but taken care of and her bright pink snow boots were clean and untattered.

I saw her wave her hand in front of my face and I shook my head slightly, realizing I had drifted off, lost in thought.

"We are going to be best friends" She declared, nodding her head with authority.

I gawked at her, eyes wide, and watched as her authoritive gleam wavered slightly.

"That is...unless you don't like black kids either." She said softly.

I shook my head no forcefully.  "I think your AMAZING!" I said a bit to loudly, my voice laced with ill concealed wonder.

Janet's eyes brightened and she grinned before squealing and wrapping her arms around my neck.

"I just KNEW you were different than the other kids in the neighborhood" She said happily, bouncing us up and down against the couch.

I peeked over her shoulder to see her mom walked in and stop in the entryway, laughing at Janet's excitement, before walking the rest of the way into the room and bending down in front of me to fix my knee.

She hummed as she worked and I glanced between her and Janet, wondering if the reason for my Christmas miracle was santa finally responding to the dozens of letters I had sent begging for a family or at the very least a friend.

I heard someone clear their throat in the doorway and I looked over to see her brother, the one that had been with her earlier, shuffling his feet slightly.

I saw a small package wrapped in crimpled newspaper in his hands and I glanced curiously at the package, wondering what it was.

I heard Janet stop talking.

"Michael, what's that?"

A blush creeped up his face and he walked over to the couch; nervously holding the package out before me.

"I-i know other kids celebrate Christmas...and I haven't seen you at the church so I figured you do too...and well" He shuffled his feet slightly before looking back up at me and continuing.  "I just figured that maybe your mom and dad didn't have money for presents the reason you didn't have Christmas lights in your front yard so I wanted to give you this."

I glanced down, my eyes wide as I looked at the small package he tossed in my lap.

"Thank you" I whispered around a lump in my throat, looking up.

Michael's eyes relaxed, seeing the pleasure and appreciation in my own, and he sat down next to his mom, resting his head on his fist in anticipation.

"Open it!" Janet yelled excitedly next to me.

I grinned before running my fingers over the package and carefully starting to peel the paper back.

I stopped momentarily and glanced up letting my eyes rest, lovingly, on the people that I was pretty sure had just changed my life.

They didn't realize it...but although I anticipated opening the small box on my lap..

They were my real Christmas gift, and my house may have been down the street..

But I was home.


<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gDooiYMagTs?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gDooiYMagTs?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>