Blog: MichaelManiac. by MichaelManiac
Summary:

A Place to share life events, story news, thoughts ect from MichaelManiac.


Categories: Journal Characters: None
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 4021 Read: 8999 Published: Jan 17, 2014 Updated: Oct 02, 2016

1. Chapter 4: What Makes A Good Story?? by MichaelManiac

2. Chapter 5: Very Concerned by MichaelManiac

3. Chapter 6: The whole world's gone off the wall by MichaelManiac

4. Chapter 5: Popping back in and wrapping things up by MichaelManiac

5. Chapter 6: Has fanfiction killed the feminism we preach? by MichaelManiac

Chapter 4: What Makes A Good Story?? by MichaelManiac
Author's Notes:
Just some questions to all readers. All opinions are welcomed.
Hello readers. I have a question for all of you. Even those who don't read my stories. Just a question for readers in general. I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time you've been asked this either but I've been wanting to know for the longest time. What makes a good story to you all?

I've noticed that certain stories get lots of readers and reviewers. One chapter can earn them like ten reviews. What is it about these stories that makes them so appealing?

I've been on the site forever and when I mean forever I mean since like 2011. The stories around here have greatly changed since I first joined but one thing has remained the same. There have been stories that are well written, and have good plots however they hardly get any type of recognition which I think is very unfair. Some stories that are not as well written get tons of recognition. Why is this?

I understand that all readers have different taste in stories so I'm asking you the readers, what makes a good story to you?? What do you look for in a story that makes you want to read and review??
Chapter 5: Very Concerned by MichaelManiac
Author's Notes:
Just something I wanted to get off my chest
Before I start, I just want anyone reading this to know that this does not reflect any stories here on MJfiction.com. When the admins did exist and were active on the site, they nipped this problem in the bud.

Some of you may know that I also post stories on wattpad. On that site there's a small but growing amount of Michael fanfics. As I was searching through them I noticed a significant amount of stories where Michael is either a teacher or a get ready.... babysitter, to an under aged girl and he ends up falling in love with her and or having sex with her while she is still underage. This, this right here really bugs me.

Now like I said before, I haven't encountered any stories like this on MJfiction recently. Now, there have been stories where Michael may have fallen in love with a girl while she's underage but they waited until she was of legal age to have any type of sexual contact. A story like that, I can respect. However, a fanfic where Michael is portrayed as a down low pedophile, that I just can't tolerate.

I just don't understand. If you're far enough in the fandom to write fanfics, you obviously know a lot about the group, show or celebrity that you're writing about. The authors of these fanfics know what Michael had to go through in his life time when it came down to those allegations. So why on earth do they write these fanfics??

Now, I understand that pretty much 99.9% of the people who write these fanfics are underage themselves and they are simply writing out their fantasies. This is what bothers me the most. This gives me the idea that the girls writing these fanfics think that it's socially acceptable for a grown man to have sex with a minor.

There are also many original stories that people have written on the site that include similar themes- mostly an underage student having a sexual and or romantic relationship with their teacher. These stories are just as equally disgusting and disturbing but when you go putting Michael's face on it, that's what makes it even more infuriating and offensive.

What worries me the most it that the websites allow stories like this and that the core audience of them are under the age of 18. I'm not trying to restrict anyone's creativity but I really think there should be a ban or a blocking on stories like that for readers and users with accounts that are under the age of 18. These stories are encouraging this type of thinking if you ask me. They're telling these young girls: "If your teacher is as sexy as Michael Jackson, Harry Styles, Channing Tatum ect., and he comes on to you it's okay to have a sexual relationship with him. There are no consequences. Do what feels right." And it really doesn't help when there are these ill informed and misguided reviewers, usually around the age of 13 or 14. saying: "Wow, they're in love." ,"I love this story, it's so romantic" or if anyone tries to inform them about the illegality of these characters actions, "OMG, leave them alone! Just let them be together! They are in love!!"

Does it ever occur to these young girls that having a relationship with someone over the age of 18 when you're a minor is illegal? That that 34 year old teacher can be put in prison for the rest of his life if anybody ever finds out? And if it's a Michael fanfic do they realize that while they don't want people to call him a pedophile, they are portraying him as such in these fanfics?

It really worries me and really concerns me because it makes me think of the type of girls society is making. As much as I love this website and wattpad, it really makes me think about the impact it has on the minds of young girls. I really don't think it's doing them that great of a service.
Chapter 6: The whole world's gone off the wall by MichaelManiac
Author's Notes:
Just another one of my personal rants and ever growing concerns about fanfiction.
So, I was just doing my typical wattpad browsing this morning when I came across a MJfanfiction that both alarmed me, disgusted me and scared me. Last chapter I talked abut the fanfics where Michael has an sexual and or romantic relationships with under aged girls. Well this story was probably worse. It was a rapist fanfiction.

The summary of the story, whose title shall not be named went something like this:"Is it weird to fall in love with your rapist? But what if he's sexy as hell?" I was completely disgusted by it and it lead me to ask the number one question I've been asking forever: What is wrong with people?!?!?

Now, this isn't the first fanfiction I've come across like this. In the One Direction fandom, (whose fanfiction nearly dominates all of wattpad) Stockholm syndrome is a very popular theme in stories. The main girl is usually kidnapped by one of the band members for some highly stupid, unrealistic reason and she ends up falling in love with him. Or my personal favorite,(I mean that very sarcastically) he bullies her for some as sine reason and even when she's near death in the hospital she still loves Harry even though he broke all her bones. I don't think I've ever come across a 1D fanfiction where the girl was raped by one of the boys and fell in love with him but I don't doubt that one exist. It's definately not just the One Direction fandom that these tragic fanfiction exist in. I've come across a few in MJfanfiction and I'm 100% sure they exist in the other fandoms.

Now, back to the rapist fanfic. After reading the disgusting summary, I flipped through the book which seemed more like a porno than an actual book. That was the first thing that perturbed me. (Despite what others may think, sex scene, after sex scene does not constitute an actual story.) The thing that disturbed me the most was comments this story was getting: "OMG, I love this story! Update soon!" Or "This is really a good story! You deserve more views!!" Or "Yasss! Love this!" That's what really disturbs me.

I want to make it clear that I'm not disgusted with or upset about this story because it's Michael being portrayed as a rapist. Grant it, it's still disrespect to his legacy but I'd like to think it's the lesser of two evils compared to the under-aged relationship stories. What upsets me is the fact that young girls are reading and writing stories that romanticize and glorify rape, an illegal and serious act.

There's everything wrong with these stories. If you ask me, these stories are teaching young girls that it's okay if a guy takes advantage of you as long as he's good-looking or sexy. I'm not sure that this rape story can fall into the category of Stockholm syndrome seeing as it is defined as when hostages empathize with their captors but all the fanfics that I've mentioned previously are as equally disturbing and ill-influencing to young girls. What's even more heartbreaking is that these girls are blinded by the wrongness of these acts just because the raper or kidnapper has the face of Michael Jackson or Harry Styles.

Things like this make me want to quit writing fanfiction in fear that I'm contributing to the misleading of young girls on the internet. Fanfiction is very fun to write but sometimes it makes me think what it's doing to our youth. I'm not saying that people need to limit their creativity or not write at all but sometimes we need to think before we press the publish or add story button.

It's easy to argue that it is just fiction. That under-aged kids need to get off the internet and go outside. That one shouldn't ruin it for everyone else or that people like me need to stop looking so deeply into things and taking things so seriously. But you can never really say that because what may be fiction to you may feel like reality to another.....
Chapter 5: Popping back in and wrapping things up by MichaelManiac
Hello!

If you've seen this story pop up on the most recents page you might think "Where on earth has she been?" and some of you who are newer users may be wondering "Who on earth is that?" I've been absent from this site for over a year. A lot has changed in the year I've been M.I.A both for me personally and on this site. Many of you know that I'm a writer on wattpad and in the recent months a lot of new readers(and some old) have been discovering(or rediscovering) my stories and the same questions keep popping up : "When are you going to update?" or "Will you be finishing your stories?" so I decided to come here to give a definite answer.

About a year ago I posted a message on my wattpad page that I was retiring from writing MJFanfiction. I stated that I may be continuing some of my stories. Around this same time I got locked out of my account here (due to switching computers). Of course a whole year has passed since then and I've finally made up my mind.

So the question remains: Will I finish my stories?

The answer is no.

Why you ask?

When I first started writing on this site approximately five years ago, I was starry-eyed and young, just barely in high school and still in the frenzy filled honeymoon stage that all fangirls go through. I stumbled upon this site by accident and I was completely excited to combine my love for Michael and writing. I was bursting with new ideas, often developing new stories every few months and discovering new stories with original, exciting and meaningful plots. In the first few years I devoted about 90% of my free time to writing stories about Michael. But some years later, things changed. Life threw me a curveball and my honeymoon stage abruptly ended. I slowly began to lose interest in Michael related things and the quality of stories on this site greatly declined. As a result of my lack of interest, I was struggling to find inspiration. I was receiving a huge decline in feedback and I was becoming increasingly disappointed and even disturbed with some of the themes included in the stories. I started stories like "Something Borrowed" and "Something Great" to try and get out of my writing rut and maybe bring about a bit of change to the typical story themes I was seeing but alas, I failed. After "Something Great" ended I couldn't even muster up the enthusiasm to write about Michael anymore. The end had come.

At first it took me a while to come to terms with this. It was sad knowing that I was closing an important chapter of my life. I never thought for a second I'd lose interest in writing Mjfanfiction, it was something I thought I'd do for years and years. However, looking back on it all, discontinuing my stories was one of the best things I could have ever done. My year long hiatus really helped me develop as a writer and realize the sort of eerie hold my infatuation with Michael had on me. When my interest started to wane I began to panic. I'd always considered myself madly in love with Michael and all things related to him. I'd promised myself I'd be dedicated to him for life. During my craze I rarely ever listened to other musical artist and or music types. If I did I always felt guilty, like I was betraying Michael. After enduring my own personal crisis I started to discover different types of music and indulge in other interest. At first I was hesitant but I quickly discovered new interest I would have otherwise enjoyed if I were not so fixated on Michael.

As far as my writing goes, I am greatly improved. After my inspiration died, I took a short hiatus from writing. I thought about giving fan fiction up completely but I missed it too much. I wanted a fresh new start so I took my hand at writing for another fandom which will not be named. Writing for this new fandom really helped me notice areas of writing I was lacking in while writing Mjfanfiction and I can actually say I'm quite proud how much my writing has improved. When I recently got back into my account, I read over my old stories and wanted to cry at how terrible they were. I also think age plays a factor in this as I just 14 when I started writing fics here. As of now I am content writing in my new fandom. I'm in a supportive writing community and I am much more confident in the things I write. Although I am discontinuing my writings here, I will keep them up as a little reminder to myself of how far I've come.

Some of you reading this right now may be upset or call me a traitor and some of you may not even care. I've seen it a few times in this fandom where some fans are ridiculed or harassed when they admit to losing interest. To be honest, my interest started waining in early 2014 but I was too afraid to make it known. For any of you who may feel as if I'm turning my back on the fandom or betraying Michael, I want you to know that you're wrong. The Moonwalker fandom will always be l my first home and Michael and his music will always play an important part of my life. I can't say that I'll completely disappear from the site. I'll still lurk in the shadows from time to time and maybe I'll pick back up some of my discussions. I wanted to thank everyone whoever read my stories or showed any support towards my writing. I had some great times
Chapter 6: Has fanfiction killed the feminism we preach? by MichaelManiac
Hola, readers! Long time no see. I'm back again with a rant that has been pooling around my brain for quite sometime and this afternoon I was moved to sit down and write about it. We might be here for awhile so grab a hot cup of tea and a seat.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong here but of all the years I've been on this website (and other fanfiction websites) a large percentage of users, wether readers are writers are female. I have encountered at least one or two males in the MJ ff community in my five years on this site and while male users are in much more abundance on wattpad, not very many seem to be writers of fanfiction. (at least not ff of the boyband, viner and popstar variety)

Chances are if you are a fanfiction writer that identifies as female, you believe that you should be socially, politically and economically (ect) equal to a male. If you do in fact believe this, you most likely identify as a feminist. If this is you then kudos to ya, let's have a toast to the girl almighty!

So this leads me to the crucial question of mine: Why is it that self- proclaimed feminist writers forget all about their feminism when they write fanfiction?

I've been asking myself this question more and more as I continue to stumble upon stories on wattpad and even some on this site. If you don't get where I'm going with this, stay tuned. I shall further elaborate.

Over the years I have noticed a distinct pattern in fanfiction particularly concerning the main girl and her relationships with other women in the story.

When it comes to lead girls they are usually perfect, squeaky clean Mary Sues, rebellious, rough around the edges bad girls or a happy medium of sassy, head strong Miss Independents. Generally in most typical fanfictions, the main girl is either on the extreme Mary Sue scale or the sassy business woman. Sassy Miss Independent seems to be a crowd favorite in the MJ community. Who wouldn't love a main girl like that?

Usually the main girl (and the author) make it clear that the main girl is a feminist. She believes she can do just as much as a man and should be treated well by them. However, the feminism only seems to singular and only exclusive to the main girl. When it comes to other females in the story, feminism is a foreign concept.

This lack of feminism is generally noticed when it pertains to Michael's ex girlfriends or flames, wife(in case of affair) or any female within a mile radius of him. For instance, if a woman who was linked to Michael in his life pops up in the story she is bound to be unfairly labeled as a slut, bitch or whore.

Often times, writers portray said woman( Brooke, Lisa, Tatiana, Diana) as rude, sneaky and selfish, giving the main girl( and the readers) the liberty to call the rival woman such nasty words. I can't count how many times I've read a story (More so on wattpad than on here) where if Brooke or Tatiana pop their pretty little heads in one scene the comments already scream: 'BITCH!', 'SLUT' or "Tatiana better stay away from Michael, she's a whore." If the girl is a Mary Sue, all of Michael's ex's are looked down upon as dirty, seductive jezabells while the MG is a pure example of what a lady should be like.

What I guess I'm trying to explain (and asks) is why do we (some self-proclaimed feminist) use fanfiction as a means to pit other women against each other? Often times, the reader is forced to chose between the main girl and her female rival, one who is unfairly and blantantly more unlikeable than the other. I'm sure you can guess who that is? Never the main girl right?

I get that love triangles are a thing in fanfiction and fiction in general. Characters have been fighting for the affection of the protagonist for centuries but when it comes to women(particularly in fanfiction) I feel like this can be done in a much more tasteful way. You( main girl included) do not have to put other women down just to feel good about yourself. And if you're doing this over a guy, you've got some major insecurities you need to straighten out.

Now this is my number one major concern when it comes to feminism being abused in fanfiction but it is not my only.

Not only do writers pit women against each other, they also break the female bonds(or fail to establish) the main girl has a the story progresses. We all know( and may have written) the main girl who has a cool girl squad that she loves hanging out with and would walk through hell with but as soon as she and Michael get together she forgets they exist. It's happened to me in real life, friends abandoning me for boys. Let me tell you, it doesn't feel good. Or even better, the main girl stops communicating with all the females in her life (mother included) because she's afraid they'll steal Michael away from her. Or even even better, the main girl fights with a friend or sister over Michael and guess who she chooses? Michael!

So much for sisters before misters!

My final point is one I've talked about before: readers and writers condoning abuse because Michael Jackson's name and face is attached. When did Michael Jackson get a free pass for beating women? I can't count how many fanfictions I've read in which the main girl in in an abusive relationship and the readers egg her on to take the beatings and stay with the guy just because he's Michael Jackson or he's so handsome and nice when he's mad. 9 times out of ten if Michael Jackson or Harry Styles or whatever other celeb you want to imagine put their hands on you in an aggressive way, you would leave their sorry asses in a heart beat or strike back. So why is it okay for them to do this in a fictional story? Why don't the rules apply then?!?!?!? Because it's not real? Well guess what ? It's still just as bad and is NOT sending the right memo. If you're going to preach that men shouldn't put their hands on women in real life, let those rules apply to fiction too,for christsakes.

I'm in no way telling you what to write but just giving you a different angle to think about things. If you want to write a story about a biggoted Mary Sue who blindly accepts physical abuse then by all means, do you. I just believe in spreading positivity in writing, as all.
This story archived at http://www.mjfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=5090