- Text Size +
Girl, close your eyes
Let that rhythm get into you
Don't try to fight it
There ain't nothing that you can do
Relax your mind
Lay back and groove with mine
You gotta feel that heat
And we can ride the boogie
Share that beat of love
I want to rock with you (all night)
Dance you into day (sunlight)
I want to rock with you (all night)
Rock the night away
Out on the floor
There ain't nobody there but us
Girl when you dance
There's a magic that must be love
Just take it slow
'Cause we got so far to go
You gotta feel that heat
And we can ride the boogie
Share that beat of love
I want to rock with you (all night)
Dance you into day (sunlight)
I want to rock with you (all night)
Rock the night away
And when the groove is dead and gone (yeah)
You know that love survives
So we can rock forever, on
I want to rock with you
I want to groove with you
I want to rock (all night) with you girl (sunlight)
Rock with you, rock with you girl (yeah) (all night)
Dance the night away
I want to rock with you (yeah) (all night)
Rock you into day (sunlight)
I want to rock with you (all night)
Rock the night away
Feel the heat feel the heat
Rock you into day (sunlight)
I want to rock-rock the night away.

Although I will be including one verse of each song in each entry, there are just some songs that you can't help but want to include all the verses. I'm sure there'll be at least one (perhaps two) more songs from Michael's incredible catalog of music for which I will be posting all the verses.

Anyway, to continue with my blog entry: By the time Michael released Off The Wall back in the late 1970's, it was clear (to me anyway) that Michael's musical talent, and range had expanded to include not only the pop, and soul music performed by him, and his brothers during the early years as the Jackson Five, and later as the Jacksons (with such hits as “Dancing Machine”, “Shake Your Body”, “Enjoy Yourself” & “Blame It On The Boogie”), but had also earned him a spot as a performer of disco music along side such artists as Donna Summer, and The Bee Gees ( the latter group whose eldest brother Barry ( was pleased to find out later) had been friends with Michael.

Having come into the world in the early 1960's, and grown up during the 1960's and 1970's, I recall listening to the above mentioned artists when they would play their songs on the local radio station. Of the artists, my favorite (of course )was Michael, and 'Rock With You'.

Of all the musical styles, disco music was one of my all time favorites, and Michael's vocal style on Rock With You was one that would even have qualified him to join the ranks of Barry White, and others known for vocal styles which contained a certain sensual quality which drew the listener in, and held them until the music faded out at the end...

One thing that has always impressed me about Michael (from the early days of The Jackson Five)is the sincerity with which he performs a song (I'm reminded of him as a young boy during an interview saying : “I don't sing anything I don't mean .”) Another thing is the joy he pours into every performance. You can see this joy throughout the Rock With You short film, as Michael (looking gorgeous in his silver glitter-covered casual top with matching pants/and glitter-covered boots) sings with a mature sensual quality to his voice (a quality which reminds me of when he was a little boy, and someone had commented on the maturity with which he sang at that young age), as he moves, and grooves to the music, back lighted solely by what appears to be a single spinning light.

The late 1970's may have been the end of the disco era, and Off The Wall, and accompanying short films may have signaled the end of Michael's primarily performing as lead singer for The Jackson Five , and The Jacksons; and Off The Wall may not have been the success Michael had hoped it would be, but the production, and release of his 'Rock With You' short film with its joyful, sensual, makes you wanna slow dance style , in my opinion earned Michael the title of not only “King of Pop, Rock, and Soul Music...But Disco music as well...



Journal (c) 2018