- Text Size +
Lovely is the feeling now
Fever temperatures rising now
Power ah power
is the force the vow
That makes it happen
It asks no questions why ooh
So get closer closer now
to my body now
Just love me
till you don't know how ooh
Keep on
with the force don't stop
Don't stop till you get enough
Keep on
with the force don't stop
Don't stop till you get enough
Keep on
with the force don't stop
Don't stop till you get enough
Keep on
with the force don't stop
Don't stop till you get enough...

Every time I listen to this track from Off The Wall (Michael's first solo album since leaving his “Little Michael” days, and entering young adult hood), I find myself impressed by Michael's ability to sustain, and sing a clear falsetto for a majority of the song.

Having grown up with Michael, and remembering the clarity of his singing voice when he was the little brown skinned lead singer of the Jackson Five; I also find myself impressed by not only the breath control he uses, but also the range of notes he is able to reach.
I think I read (or heard ) somewhere that Michael's vocal range was 3-4 octaves. If I'm remembering this correctly, that in itself is impressive.

I have to be honest, before Michael Jackson set a standard for the quality of short films, and music videos, I can't think of any music videos I actually liked...the songs associated with the videos may have been some of my favorites, and I may have liked a particular artist, but the videos themselves were just not anything that impressed me...or had a particular impact. When Michael came along, and changed things, so did my opinion change.

In the short film for Don't Stop Til You Get Enough, there is definite early evidence of Michael's creative imagination at work. One of my favorite moments in the film is when Michael is joined by not one,but two dancing images of himself (an example of the use of 'split screen' or another perhaps computer-generated technique). I also enjoy the fascinating use of a back ground of crystalline squares, and orbs...as though someone had spilled a box of jewels, and put Michael's image in front of it.

Michael released this song in 1979, at the height of the disco era. I'd always loved disco music, and was pleased to see Michael on the same list of disco artists as The Bee Gees, and Donna Summer...to name a few. 1979 was also the year I graduated from high school...How time does fly...


Journal entry (c) 2018