- Text Size +

When I woke up, I found myself sprawled across the floor. My body was aching all over. Grudgingly I placed a hand on my face. It hurt so much.

What happened?

 There was no reply. I let out a breath. I almost expected that… being to Answer. I painfully got up. Something inside me told me to open the windows. I hobbled toward it, and pulled the curtains opens.

I could only see the clear sky. Relief flooded through me.

They’re gone!

Inwardly, I thanked whoever it was who had pulled me through. It wasn’t normal on any accounts, but what was truly normal anymore?

The pain rapidly faded away. I went to the nearest café to get something to eat and called my mom.

“Aroni, why’d you not pick up my phone the last few days!?”

“Sorry, Ma. I was really busy with my work.” I lied. “I will give you a message if something like that ever happens next.”

“You better do so, young lady. So did this work of yours end successfully?”

“Yeah, I guess.” I replied, smiling slightly. I frowned when I felt a slight tingle on my hand. But there was no visible swelling or rashes to indicate the cause.

“Mom, is there some disease which causes tingling sensations?”

“…Are you trying to tell me you’re in love?”

“No!” I said. I knew that was the answer I was going to get. “I’m not talking about something like that! It’s like electricity is coursing through my veins… and it almost feels as if I’m on fire. I just don’t know if I’m going mad, mom.” 

My mother was silent for such a long time that I thought she had hung up. She finally said in a low voice,

“Aroni, did something happen?”

“Mom, I told you I’m not in-”

“When did the sensations begin? Do you have any idea what caused them?”

It was my turn to be silent. Why was mother so serious? What was she thinking? What did she know?

“Aroni, trust in me. You can tell me anything.”

This time, I really did. I told her everything from meeting the weird guy and then the ghosts appearing and finally what happened yesterday.

“My worst fear… came true.” Mom was saying.

“Mom? What’re you talking about?” I asked her, feeling scared.

“I can’t tell you now, Aroni. You need to go back to that place. My powers are only that of a human. You can’t waste any more time. Please. He will tell you everything.”

I was shocked hearing my mother say such a thing. How could it be possible? My old, simple mother believed me – and she was telling me to go back to that creepy manor?

 “You… you want me to go back to Someplace Else?”

“Yes. Right now.”

Her voice was so serious I couldn’t say no. I muttered a small okay and ended the call. I didn’t know what to do anymore. I looked at the direction of the mansion. I couldn’t see it, but my heart sped up. I couldn’t eat after that so I threw the leftovers away and paid the bill.

Half an hour later, I arrived at the mansion. I pushed away any fears I had and opened the gate. With brisk strides I arrived at the door. Surprisingly the door didn’t open today. It was locked.

I put a hand to knock. As I touched the door, a searing pain ripped through my fingertips and I withdrew my hand with a wince. The door opened.

I was too occupied to be surprised anymore and just entered inside. The doors instantly closed.

The hallway was vacant. I turned the torch of my phone and looked around. There wasn’t anyone to be seen.

“Maestro? William? Frederick? Clarisse?” I called out their names. But no Answer came. “Anyone there?”

I began heading to the second floor, thinking Maestro might be in the parlor. But as soon as I set foot, I felt a strange pull to the side. I almost lost balance and stumbled to the wall.

Not upstairs. Down you go.

That voice again! I was dragged to the stony wall in the parting of the staircase. I slammed into the rocky, cold surface. I’m not a ghost! I can’t pass through a wall!

There wasn’t any reply this time. I felt so frustrated. Maybe if I touched the wall enough, something would happen again. But luck only favored once. I knocked on the wall. It was solid, not hollow inside.

I need a rocket launcher to bust through the wall!  

I tried to calm myself down. I grasped the wall with both hands and placed my forehead against the cool surface. With my eyes closed, I focused on only one thing.

How would I get in?

I pictured myself pushing against the wall and it somehow moving away to expose a flight of steps to the basement. But the wall in reality didn’t budge. Oh, come on.

Concentrating harder, I tried to imagine the tingles running through my fingers to my whole body, burning with their movement. It wasn’t working. My breathing was ragged. I whispered,

“Please show me the way. I need to go.”

After a while, I could feel a vague tingling sensation at my feet. I begged it to travel upwards. I attempted to make it run through my legs. Slowly, the feeling got stronger. My body was heating up as I got shivers running up my back. My arms felt numb.

The cold wall was heating up against me. I could feel the prickles sting me like fire ants yet I did not move away.

Finally, there was a dull sound. I was thrown back as the bricks began to move.

Oh gosh! Is it working?

Yes, it was definitely working. Dust began to fly everywhere as the bricks slowly parted away to sides, revealing open space contradictory to what it felt when I knocked. I coughed.

 

Standing up, I peered inside. A flight of steps, leading to god knew where. It was so dark. I clutched my phone and started climbing down.