- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

This chapter should explain a few things for you all. Please review and let me know what you think. :)

Beatrice woke to the feel of her body being tossed on the cold hard floor. Her head was killing her so she figured one those creepy giant dolls must have knocked her out cold. She groaned and attempted to blink away the blurriness that was currently crowding her vision. The throbbing in her skull was painful but not as painful as the ache in her heart. Scarecrow, her heart called out to him with so much sorrow she almost broke into a sob at just the thought of him, but she refused to let her enemies see her broken. No matter what, she had to appear strong. Lion made his choice and chose the wrong side. There was no way she was going to let him get away with this. Where was she? The strange room she was lying in the middle of was dark and Beatrice sensed an unsettling presence.

“Rise for the dark warlock,” one of the three ugly dolls ordered her in that deep, muffled tone. When she slowly turned her head around, she saw all three of them standing behind her with their jet black buttons for eyes looking past her and focused on something else…or someone else.

Her head protest some more as she lifted it higher off the ground and rose to a kneeling position. Reluctantly, she turned to look in the direction her foes were staring in. The room was spacious and practically empty, with the exception a single person use bed stationed a few feet to her left and an immense pile of some kind of silver colored shredded material sitting a few yards away on her right. However, neither one of those things had the focus of Beatrice’s capturers.

Directly ten feet ahead of her, a tall dark figure was penetrating her with a frightening stare that possessed diamond shaped irises the color of crimson. Beatrice’s heart was humming mercilessly out of fear while her entire body froze. The rest of the stranger’s face was hidden by the darkness but Beatrice could make out that he was wearing a large dark cape or long robe of some kind that draped over all over his body from the neck down. She didn’t have to ask who this person was. Her intuition gave her that answer. A sound mixed with annoyance and bordom erupted from him. “This is the one who wounded my stallion and has been causing me all this trouble?” He was clearly unimpressed and displeased by the sight of her.

Beatrice frowned at the sound of his voice. It wasn’t at all what she expected. His tone was deep but it wasn’t nearly as deep as the ones the giant dolls possessed. In fact, he sounded young, much younger than she imagined him to be.

“What a disappointment,” he stated as he stepped closer to her, allowing more of his face to come into view. Aside from his abnormal eyes and strange markings over his face, his features were actually normal. He looked human and somewhat boyish even. He had to be only a few years younger than Beatrice, like eighteen or nineteen. His skin was the shade of mocha and his red and black hair was styled in tiny spikes all around his head. But what got Beatrice’s attention the most were the red and black swirly designs that were rooted all over his cheeks. It made her recall the times when her mother would describe the appearance of Eviline. According to Beatrice’s mother, Eviline also had markings similar to these on her face, though hers were completely red. Was this a mere coincidence or were these two beings linked somehow?

When he crouched before her and was at eye level, she said with disbelief, “You’re only a boy.”

His grimace deepened and the dolls behind them started to growl in disapproval.

“Stupid girl. I’m no boy. I’m someone who you has your life in the palms of his hands. Therefore, you’ll do well not to upset me.” His glare intensified but for some reason Beatrice was no longer intimidated by him.

Her eyebrows shot up in surprise. What did he just call her? “Stupid? I’m not the one who looks like a wannabe Dracula.” She scrutinized him with a frown. She couldn’t believe this…boy was her threat. “Are you really Wickus the Wicked?” Apparently, he wasn’t the only one who was disappointed. Involuntarily, she smirked, swiping all the fury off of Wickus’ face and replacing it with astonishment. His wide eyed expression made him look even younger.

“HOW DARE YOU INSULT WICKUS THE WICKED!!!” The three huge dolls roared simultaneously as one of them took hold of her shoulders and slammed her down on her back with a strong might. She groaned in pain as her body made unfriendly contact with the hard cold surface beneath her.

As her capturers held her down, Wickus got on his hands and knees and hovered over her. He stared at her with puzzlement and curiosity. “No one has ever dared spoken to me like that. Who are you, girl? And why aren’t you afraid of me?”

Beatrice didn’t like him being this close to her. If her arms and legs weren’t being held down she would have kicked him where it hurts. She squirmed but it was a failed attempt at getting those darn ugly dolls to release her. She met Wickus’ gaze with a loathing expression. “I’m not afraid of you. I despise you for what you’ve done to the Munchkins and the people of Emerald City.”

He raised one eyebrow as he studied her. “I won’t ask you again. Who are you, strange girl?”

“I’m the one who’s going to end you. That’s all you need to know.”

“Let us kill her, oh Wicked One” requested the voodoo doll that was holding down her legs. “You don’t have any use for her.”

Wickus smiled and leaned in closer to her. Beatrice had half a mind to spit in his face. He told her, “If you’re going to end me, you might want to do it now before my loyalties end you.” He watched her struggle with satisfaction. “What’s wrong? Can’t seem to get free of them? Why don’t you merely do to them the same thing you did to my stallion earlier today? I would love to see it.”

Beatrice narrowed her eyes at him. “I’d rather perform that action on you. Why are you even taking over the Emerald City? What did these people and the Munchkins ever do to you?”

His face was filled with intrigue. “Interesting. Your bravery isn’t something I’m accustomed to and therefore, it…amuses me. You are very strange indeed. But you can’t expect me to answer any of your questions without you answering any of mine.” Wickus diverted his eyes to her clothing. He picked at her jean jacket. “Your strange clothing tells me that you’re not from this world, correct?”

“Don’t touch me” she sneered.

“You’re in no position to give orders, bizarre girl.” When his hands went to examining her jean pants, Beatrice got really furious.

“I SAID GET OFF OF ME!!!” She managed to yank her right leg free from the voodoo doll’s hold and kneed Wickus straight in the face before slamming her foot into him. When he fell back, the other two giant dolls ran to his aid, while the one that was holding her down yanked her up by the shoulders and slammed her against the nearest wall.

“NOW, YOU DIE!!!” He exclaimed in that disoriented voice.

Uh-oh. This was it.

“No,” Wickus’ voice was calm but powerful enough to make that angry doll stop his actions immediately. After the other two dolls helped him get on his feet, Wickus approached her as he massaged his jaw. “I don’t want her dead.”

“But sir, not only has she insulted you but she’s also inflicted you with pain,” cried the doll on his left.

“I know.” Wickus’ gaze was focused only on her. Beatrice saw no look of hatred or fury present, only determination. But what was he determined to do with her if he didn’t want to kill her? He grabbed the doll that had her pinned against the wall and shoved him out the way so that he was staring at her full on. “You’re the first person I’ve ever met to have this audacity towards me. I think I like it.”

Beatrice’s eyeballs practically popped out of her head after hearing him say that. Was he for real? Although there wasn’t anyone physically holding her down any more, she still felt held in place by that unsettling look the dark warlock was giving her. Plus, she knew trying to make a run for it now wouldn’t do her any good.

“Tell me something,” Wickus had a strand of her tight curly locks between his right thumb and index finger. “What do you know about the girl with the silver slippers who came here twenty-two years ago? Like you, she was not from this world. Ones that knew her personally, called her Dorothy.”

Her eyebrows shot up in surprise. He knew her mother? Strange. She had never mentioned him to Beatrice in any of her stories.

His grin deepened. “So you do know her. How so?”

Beatrice remained quiet. She wasn’t telling this man…uh…boy anything.

He stepped closer, much to Beatrice’s dismay. It was bad enough that he was stroking her hair, for crying out loud! “As much as I love your defiance, my patience only goes so far.” In one quick move, Wickus went from caressing her curly strand of hair to cupping her neck with one hand. She gasped. “This is my final time asking you. What is your connection to Dorothy? I know there is one.”

“Dorothy is her mother.” Lion’s voice filled the room as he crowded the doorway. “And the girl’s name is Beatrice.”

TRAITOR! YOU KILLED SCARECROW!!! Beatrice wanted to scream at him those words, among other things but was unable to.

Wickus released her neck. “Excellent news, Lion.” He praised him without taking his eyes off his newest prisoner. “Let this be a lesson to you…Beatrice. I shall always have my way.”

At this point, Beatrice just wanted to break down and cry. She didn’t care what happened to her but…Scarecrow, she crooned mentally. Looking at Lion only replayed the memory of him attacking Scarecrow in the forest. To make things worse, he wore no remorse. Neither was his expression triumphant but she still wanted Lion to pay for hurting him. How could he?

“Have you completed your task?” One of the voodoo dolls asked Lion as he walked further inside.

After giving a quick bow of respect to Wickus and intentionally not meeting Beatrice’s gaze, he said, “What’s done is what should be done.”

The dolls laughed together in triumph.

“You killed him!” Beatrice spoke with hate and disgust. There was no stopping the tears now from falling down her face. “That was your friend and he was my…” She stopped herself because she had no idea where she was going with that. Her heart had taken over as she spoke.

“Looks like someone fell in love with the Scarecrow” stated one of the dolls as the other two laughed hysterically.

Lion glanced at her for a few quick seconds and no doubt his eyes were trying to communicate something to her his mouth couldn’t. Whatever it was, she didn’t care to know. She didn’t want to hear anything he had to say. He was in the wrong and he knew it.

A now unhappy Wickus had his palms roughly cupping both sides of her face. “I refuse to hear you talk about that pathetic Scarecrow. He was worthless and met a well-deserved fate. Your attention needs to be solely on me, girl. Or should I say, daughter of Dorothy.”

Beatrice didn’t think it was possible to hate this warlock more than she already did, but she was wrong. She wished more than anything that he would stop touching her. “You have the answer to your question and now I need you to answer mine. How do you know my mother?”

“I don’t.”

Beatrice frowned in confusion.

“But I supposed you can say she knew my mother very well.”

Realization slapped Beatrice in the face as her stare lingered on the strange red and black markings on his face. More dread engulfed her. “Eviline,” she breathed. “Eviline was your mother.”

That evil smile grew even bigger. “Defiant, amusing, and intelligent. You are quite the package.” One of his long nails scraped the side of her cheek as he ran his thumb back and forth against her skin. “Which is why I’m going to make you mine.”

Huh? “What?” Did she hear him right? Even the Lion and the three voodoo dolls were watching on with incredulity.

“Of course you would have to clean up your act a little bit first but I think I can make a fun and descent consort out of you.”

This didn’t make any sense to her. Was he for real?

Lion’s mouth was practically scrapping the floor.

One of the dolls cleared his throat. “Forgive me, oh Wicked One, but do you think it is wise to seek companionship with the daughter of the woman who killed your mother?”

“Is that why you took over Emerald City?” Beatrice asked suddenly. “To seek revenge on the place that helped my mother defeat your mother?”

Wickus shrugged. “Call it revenge or call it a great opportunity to seek power. Being known only as the son of Eviline, Wicked Witch of the West made me angry. I never had the intention of forever living in my mother’s shadow. So when I heard about her demise, I relished in the fact that the odds were finally in my favor. That was when I left the west side of Oz and invaded the Emerald City, giving me the name Wickus the Wicked. In short, I’m quite grateful to your mother. She painted the way for me to get where I am today.”

Beatrice watched him with complete disgust and hatred. How could one talk this way about their own mother?

He turned and walked away from her as he continued on with his story. “Disappointingly, the mission was far too easy. I come here with my Skywatchers, Sleuth, and Hulkpuppets,” He gestured at his loyalties that resembled tall voodoo dolls. “thinking this mission was going to possess some sort of fun challenge, but nothing.” After pacing a few feet, he turned back around to lock gazes on her again. “Turns out, all the mumbo jumbo we’ve heard about the great and powerful wizard of Oz dwelling here in the Emerald City was bogus.”

That didn’t surprise Beatrice at all since she knew the whole story of how Herman Smith, an ordinary man, accidently landed his hot air balloon in the world of Oz. Eventually, the people of Oz claimed him to be the Wiz and he never bothered with telling them the truth.

“He was a wretched man with no powers of any kind.”

Beatrice swallowed her panic. Although she was scared to ask, she asked him, “What did you do with him?”

Wickus’ smile faded into disappointment. “My inadequate Skywatchers let him get away, along with that annoying Scarecrow and some other absconders during the invasion.” He lifted up a finger. “Luckily, all is not lost.” Wickus peered over at Lion who was looking very uneasy. “My loyal Lion here has made this a day I will never forget. You have the next twenty-four hours off, as a reward. You deserve it for getting rid of Scarecrow finally. That walking and talking pile of garbage caused me enough trouble over the years.”

Beatrice’s hands were clenched in fists at her side. She wanted to make him suffer for speaking of Scarecrow that way.

When he looked back at Beatrice, she averted her gaze down towards her feet. She had enough of staring into those blood red irises. It made her sick. “And you’ve found me a mate as well, Lion.”

Ugh. Yup, she was definitely going to be sick. Another set of teardrops silently strolled down her cheeks.

“Sir” one of the voodoo dolls, or Hulkpuppets, called out to him. “Shall we celebrate your victory by going down to the blues club tonight?”

Ignoring his suggestion, Wickus advance towards Beatrice once more with a predator gaze. “I will make you mine first thing tomorrow.”

When he was close enough to touch her, she lifted her head up and with so much loathing in her eyes she told him, “I rather die than be joined with you.”

Wickus brought a hand to her face. She frowned and quickly moved away from his touch but he still managed to make contact with her. He ran a finger down her tear-stained cheek and brought it to his mouth. “Hmm,” he crooned in a tone that made her insides crawl. “I don’t know why, but you’re insolence is very…delicious.”

“And everything about you is just repulsive” she retorted.

“What a wild flame you are. Enjoy your final night of being single.” He turned to walk away and the Hulkpuppets followed his lead. “If you get hungry, just yell and Boomer here will bring you food.” He was referring to the Hulkpuppet on his right.

Not a chance, she thought to herself. She rather starve.

“Until tomorrow.” Wickus gave her one final smile and she met it with a look that said, if you try to come near me tomorrow it’ll be the last move you ever make. “Oh, boy, do I love a challenge” he crooned as he finally exited the room with his loyalties trailing behind him.

Lion was still in the room, no doubt waiting until Wickus and the Hulkpuppets were far enough not to hear their conversation.

But Beatrice didn’t want to talk. She just want to mourn and grieve for her friend. She slid her back down the wall and landed on the floor with her arms hugging her knees. She heard Lion take a few steps towards her. “Don’t come near me” she warned him without looking up at him. “Before I do to you the same thing you did to Scarecrow.”

“Beatrice,” he started but she cut him off.

“Don’t talk to me.”

“I have to tell you something. I have to tell you that-“

“Leave me alone, Lion. I mean it.” If he didn’t leave soon, her anger was going to get the best of her.

“Beatrice, this is important. This is about Scarecrow.”

The sound of that traitor saying his name damn near made her see red. She hopped up and ran her palm across his face as hard as she could. He whimpered at the impact but she didn’t care. She pointed a finger at him. “You are NOT allowed to talk about him, let alone say his name. How can you live with yourself? You may have killed him but you’re still a coward. You know what’s right but you’re too much of a weakling to do the right thing.” She was sobbing now. “Scarecrow believed that there was still good in you but you let him down. No. You did something worse than that. YOU KILLED HIM!” She shoved him and he slightly stumbled backwards. “YOU KILLED THE ONE I LOVED AND NOW I’M FORCED TO MARRY THAT POOR EXCUSE FOR A WARLOCK!!! GET OUT!” She continued to shove him until he backed out the door, despite his protesting. “GET OUT! GET OUT! GET OUT!”

When Lion finally stumbled his way out the room, Beatrice crumbled into a sobbing mess on the floor, wishing that she had realized sooner that she had fallen in love with who use to be the most intelligent, funniest, and sweetest being in all of Oz.

Chapter End Notes:

Poor Beatrice. Leave your comments. I want to know everything you have to say about this chapter. Thank you so much for reading :)