- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I apologize in advance if there are too many typos or grammar errors in this chapter than usual. I was in a hurry to get this chapter posted before I had to go to work. Please enjoy!
Beatrice wasn’t sure how long she stayed there staring at the now empty spot on the ground, blinking at it speechlessly. “It’s over,” she whispered after what felt like a long moment of silence.

She then felt someone cautiously palm her shoulder. It was Scarecrow, watching her with extreme concern.

Beatrice turned to him and immediately wrapped her arms around his neck and buried her face in the crook of his neck.

“Are you okay?” he whispered.

Without lifting her head from him, she nodded. “I should be asking you that question,” and hugged him tighter.

Scarecrow leaned his face into her full head of curls and exhaled with relief. “I feel incredible, thanks to you.”

His embrace felt like the safest place in the world to her.

“Scarecrow,” Lion called his name as he and Tin Man approached him and Beatrice, looking just as relieved as they were.

Scarecrow and Beatrice pulled away from each other in order to hug their friends.

“Thank you,” crooned Beatrice after hugging Tin Man. “But how did you two know we were in trouble?”

Tin Man smiled at her. “Friends don’t let friends face trials alone, my flower. After Wickus captured you, we saw Scarecrow run in the castle to save you. So without a second thought, we followed suit.”

Lion huffed and folded his arms. “More like he followed suit and yanked me along,” he mumbled.

Beatrice smirked at him and placed a hand on her hip. “You know something, Lion? You’re a lot braver than you give yourself credit for.”

Lion then gave a sheepish smile.

Soon Beatrice’s attention was on the strange man standing just a few feet away. He was wearing a self-conscious expression as he fidgeted around with his fingers.

“I know who you are,” she said as she approached him. “You’re the pretentious wizard of Oz.”

He winced at her choice of words before giving her an apologetic smile. “I also go by Herman Smith.”

“Where in the world have you been this whole time, Herman?” Tin Man asked with curiosity. “We thought Wickus and his loyalties either killed you or ran you out of Oz.”

Herman stretched his hands out and said, “I never left.” Then he snickered. “I’ve been hiding here in the castle the whole time.”

“How did you pull that off?” Beatrice asked him.

“I have a great skill in hiding.” His smile turned triumphant.

“Yeah, especially when it comes to hiding the truth,” Lion mumbled with bitterness, obviously still upset with Herman for deceiving everyone into thinking that he was the great and powerful wizard of Oz.

Herman gulped.

“That was over two decades ago, Lion” Beatrice told him before turning her attention back to Herman. “Besides, he helped us out a lot today.” She smiled genuinely at him. “Thank you.” Without a second thought, she wrapped her arms around his torso for a hug.

For a few seconds, Herman was stiff and unresponsive but then his arms came up and hugged her back.

Loud cheers of victory had suddenly erupted all around the castle. The noise sounded like it was coming from both inside and outside the large castle.

“BEATRICE! SCARECROW!” Rolin the munchkin was suddenly running into the room breathlessly. “Are you all alright?”

“We’re fine, Rolin” Scarecrow answered him but had to raise his voice in order to be heard over the loud cheers. He stepped forward with a puzzled expression. “Is everyone else okay?”

Rolin’s eyes were full of excitement. “More than okay. All of the Hulkpuppets have simultaneously vanished into nothing!”

“The Hulkpuppets were created by Wickus.” Heman explained, trying to speak loud enough to be heard by everyone in the room. “Now that he’s gone, so is every spell that he’s ever casted.”

“What about the Skywatchers?” Beatrice asked.

Rolin jumped up and down happily. “We outnumber them now. And they’re nothing without Wickus. THEREFORE, WE WON!!!”

Everyone in the room was suddenly smiling from ear to ear.

“Come on!” Rolin gestured for them to follow him before running out the room.

Beatrice laughed with relief as she took Scarecrow’s hand and followed everyone out the room. She stopped when she noticed that Herman wasn’t following them. “What’s wrong?” she asked him.

He looked saddened as he stared down at the floor. “I can’t go out there and let everyone see me like this.”

“Beatrice,” Scarecrow said her name softly and she turned her head towards him. He spoke sympathetically. “Everyone still thinks he’s the great wizard of Oz. If he goes out there, they won’t have anything to believe in anymore.”

Beatrice turned pensive for a moment. She then walked up to Herman and gently said, “It’s time to tell everyone the truth.”

“They’ll hate me,” he whispered with despair and took a step back.

Beatrice stepped forward. “You can’t expect anyone to ever love you if you don’t let people see you for what you really are.”

He watched her thoughtfully. “You know your mother said something like that to me before.”

“You should listen to us then. Maybe we’re on to something.” She smiled at him encouragingly and stretched out her hand for him to take.

After a few long moments of hesitation, Herman finally took it.
***

They all took the staircase down to the main lobby that was about as big as a football stadium and were greeted by an enormous crowd of Munchkins, yellow swimsuit wearers, and the original residents of the Emerald City. All of the prisoners were finally free. Most of them were dancing, cheering and rejoicing while some of them helped a few munchkins corner the remaining Skywatchers near the back of the lobby.

Beatrice went speechless as she took in the vast improvements of the atmosphere. She looked up at the see through ceiling and saw that the storm was gone and replaced with a clear blue sky and vibrant sun that shined its golden rays into the massive lobby.

The castle’s dull green shade was gradually becoming brighter until it was a breathtakingly beautiful Christmas green illumination. It didn’t take Beatrice long to figure out that this was happening everywhere else in the city as well.

The giant double doors that granted entrance into the lobby were wide open as the crowd extended all the way outside. Everyone was in great spirits as they jumped around and danced. It was a beautiful sight to behold. Today was a day the people of Oz would never forget.

Scarecrow gently squeezed her hand. “We did it,” he whispered to her, wearing that famous angelic smile.

Beatrice returned the expression. They were standing with Lion, Tin Man, Rolin, and Herman by the staircase they just descended.

“LET’S GIVE IT UP FOR BEATRICE AND SCARECROW!!!” Rolin roared over the noise and punched a fist into the air.

Then together everyone turned to face them and shouted, “TWO, FOUR, SIX, EIGHT! WHO DO WE APPRECIATE!!!” That went on repeatedly before it erupted into other various forms of cheering.

“Miss Beatrice! Miss Beatrice!” Little Tristian was happily making his way over to them with Storm in his arms.

Beatrice was surprised by the sight of him but gladly hugged him anyways. “Tristian, what are you doing here?”

“Miss One brought me and Storm here.” The smile gave her made her heart melt. “She said you and Mr. Scarecrow defeated Wickus the Wicked.”

She then noticed Miss One among the crowd smiling at them fondly.

She laughed as she took Storm in her arms who immediately started purring against her. “I guess word travels fast here in Oz. Yes, we did. And thank you for taking care of Storm for me.”

Tristian nodded and then went over to hug Scarecrow with the same affection he gave Beatrice.

“PLEASE, DON’T HURT US!!!” One of the Skywatchers that were cornered against the wall cried out.

“We never really did like Wickus,” explained another one.

Beatrice then made her way through the crowd. Everyone was still applauding her as she walked past them and the ones that were in her way easily stepped aside while still admiring her.

When she made it to the ones that were guarding the Skywatchers, some of the noise had died down so that they could hear what she was going to say.

The Skywatchers gulped as they watched Beatrice glare at them with detestation. It was a little over twenty of them still remaining.

“Oh, please don’t kill us, Beautiful One! We never meant any harm by you,” one of them pleaded with her in that annoying screechy voice.

Yeah, right, she thought. “Save your breath,” she told him. “I’m not going to kill you. None of you are worth the trouble.”

They all sighed with relief.

“However, I am permanently banishing you back to the Westside of Oz.” She felt Scarecrow and their gang of friends come up behind her. She spoke her next words through gritted teeth. “But don’t you ever let me catch any one of you back here again or I promise there will be hell to pay.” She took another bold step towards them. “Do I make myself clear?”

Some nodded frantically while others responded verbally. “Yes, we understand.”

One of them dropped to his knees and attempted to reach out and touch Beatrice as he said, “Oh, thank you! Thank you for your mercy!”

Before he could make contact with her, Scarecrow, Tin Man, and Lion stepped in front of her and stopped him in his tracks with threatening glares.

“Don’t even think about it,” Scarecrow told him firmly.

Even Storm had jumped out of her arms to play bodyguard. He landed next to Scarecrow in a pre-attack stance as he growled. He may still have been a baby FlyMam but the Skywatchers knew better than to try and mess with him.

The Skywatcher on his knees recoiled backwards against the wall. “My apologies! I just wanted to show my appreciation.”

“Not necessary.” Beatrice told them. “Just leave. Now.”

“And don’t come back!” spat Little Tristian who had peeked his head out from his hiding spot behind Scarecrow. His fear of the Skywatchers was justifiable, considering the fact that he used to be held captive by them.

Apparently they were all moving too slow for Lion. So he let out a mighty roar that had every Skywatcher screaming and scurrying out of the lobby.

Everyone laughed at them as they ran frantically through the massive crowd until they were outside and able to jump into the air and soar to the west.

As of now, every foe of the Emerald City was officially gone and even more cheers erupted from everyone.

They celebrating went on for another minute or two until an Emerald City native took a good look at Herman Smith and gawked at him. “Great and powerful wizard, is that you?” she asked with disbelief.

The cheers died down again as more people directed their attention towards the human man standing next to Beatrice. Gasps and mumbles were quickly replacing the cries of jubilation.

Herman hunched his shoulders up shyly and gave everyone a sheepish wave. “Um…hello, everyone.” He chuckled nervously.

Beatrice palmed his shoulder as she addressed the crowd. “Everyone, I have someone here who wants to officially introduce himself to you.” She then nodded at him to continue before taking a step back, letting him have the full spotlight.

When he peered at Scarecrow, Lion, and Tin Man, they were all giving him positive nods and smiles.

“Oh boy,” Herman mumbled before clearing his throat, another nervous gesture. “Um, you all know me as the great and powerful wizard of Oz. But the truth is…” He glanced back at Beatrice again.

She grinned at him sweetly. “Go ahead,” she whispered to him.

He turned back to face the bemused crowd. “Um, the truth is…I’m not a wizard.”

Everyone gasped with surprise and took a step back.

“My name is Herman Smith. I’m just an average man from Atlantic City.” He raised his hands up as a sign of defeat.

“This can’t be true!” one them shouted.

“It doesn’t make any sense!” said one of the males of Emerald City.

“I lied to you all.” Herman continued. “I should have told you all the truth the moment I first came here instead of letting you believe that I was something I’m not. I betrayed you all’s trust. And for that…” Beatrice could hear his throat tightening up as he said, “I’m sorry.”

One of the female swimsuit wearers threw her face in her hands as she cried. Someone began rubbing her back comfortingly.

Miss One was watching on with a look of immense disappointment and folded her arms. Surprisingly though she kept quiet.

“What is to come of Oz now?” cried a male munchkin helplessly. “We have no ruler now.”

“We’re doomed!” shouted someone else.

More cries of agony were being born until Beatrice spoke up again. “Everyone, calm down. It took a lot of bravery for Herman to come down here after all of these years of hiding and finally tell you all the truth.”

Everyone grew quiet again.

“Listen, I know you all are upset with him and probably will be for a while but what you all need to do right now is just forgive and count your blessings.”

“What blessings?” someone asked.

Beatrice frowned at female who asked that question. Was she for real. “Guys, we all just took on a dark warlock and lived!”

“We got the Emerald City back,” Scarecrow reminded them.

“And Herman helped us,” Tin Man added.

Luckily, this was a very influential crowd. “Just give him a chance to show you all the real him.” Beatrice pleaded.

Herman gave them a hopeful smile.

“But we still have no ruler!” yelled Simon. The man Beatrice met in the Jazz club the night Scarecrow took her to see Tin Man. His face was filled with panic.

Beatrice tried to fight the urge to roll her eyes. “You don’t need a ruler, Simon.”

More confusion danced on his face as he looked at her.

“Be your own person. All of you,” she looked around the various people crowding her. “You don’t need anyone telling you what to do or how to live. Live for yourself.”

“That may be true, my dear.” Miss One finally spoke up and walked closer to the front. Everyone was now looking at the wise witch. She raised up a finger. “However, everyone still needs someone to guide them in the right direction every now and then. Not a ruler but someone who can function as an example or role model.”

“A leader?” Scarecrow asked curiously.

Miss One snapped her fingers and smiled at him. “Exactly!” Her eyes then started to light up as she studied him. “Someone who is extremely smart and has experience with protecting and guiding others.” She stepped closer to him.

Scarecrow’s eyes widened with disbelief as he took a step back.

Miss One continued to walk closer to him until Scarecrow had his back against the wall. “Someone who is patient, kind, and loving.”

“And fun!” Tristian added on excitedly.

“Someone who everyone will respect and listen to,” Miss One continued on. She kept staring at him with that loving maternal smile.

Beatrice came up next to her and gave Scarecrow a beautiful enthusiastic smile. “Someone like you, Scarecrow.” This was a great idea. Scarecrow was just the type of leader the Emerald City needed.

The crowd mumbled amongst themselves as if they were considering it too.

“He really is brave,” one commented.

“And smart,” someone else said.

“And fun!” Tristian added on again and everyone laughed.

Scarecrow gulped. “Me?” His back was still pressed against the wall.

Everyone nodded.

“I…I…” For the first time ever, Scarecrow was at a lost for words. He had nothing, no famous quotes or sayings to give to everyone. Nothing.

“I think you’ll make a great leader.” Beatrice grinned at him.

When he met her gaze, he seemed to have recovered from his nervousness. He took his back off the wall and stepped closer to her. Eyeing her with such intensity. “Will you do it with me?”

She gasped. “Huh?”

He took both her hands in his as his stare poured demandingly into her. “Beatrice, will you help me guide the people of the Emerald City?”

Whoa. Needless to say that she was blindsided by that question.

Everyone grew extremely quiet as they waited for her answer.

Suddenly, a soft shimming sound was filling up the large lobby along with sound of children humming beautifully to a gentle melody.

Everyone turned their heads toward the sounds and saw a beautiful woman with several young children appear before their very eyes.

Beatrice’s heart was pounding due to anxiety. This was the same woman who came to her just a few hours ago. If it wasn’t for her, Beatrice probably would have never figured out how to save Scarecrow. “It’s you,” she whispered in wonderment.

Everyone was silently gawking at the beautiful lady.

She was wearing the same gorgeous sparkly dress and headpiece that resembled a radiant stare.

Behind her floated at least seven children in the air that seemed to be between the ages of one and five years old. They were all a precious sight to behold and were adorning a smaller version of the outfit their mother was wearing.

The rays of the golden sun made their attire shine brighter, making them all seem…angelic.

“Hello, Glinda.” Miss One smiled at her.

Glinda slightly bowed her head and smiled affectionately. “It’s so good to see you again, Miss One.”

Glinda, Beatrice said her name mentally as if she was having a hard time believing this.

“Hello, everyone” Glinda addressed the crowd. “This is indeed a great day for the Emerald City. And we have none other than our two heroes to thank for this incredible triumph.” She smiled tenderly at the couple she was referring to. Her voice was so soothing and beautiful. “Beatrice. Scarecrow. You two have not only made this a moment Emerald City will always treasure but also a day all of Oz will never forget. I thank you for that.”

Now Scarecrow was really speechless.

Beatrice took a step closer towards the remarkable woman. “Miss Glinda, were you the one who sent me here?”

Glinda smiled. “We needed a strong spirited and compassionate person to put an end to Wickus’ reign. So I knew the daughter of Dorothy Gale would be ideal for the job.”

“So it wasn’t a coincidence when I found Storm in my world.” She stated thoughtfully as she looked down at her pet who was hiding behind her legs from the mysterious woman while peeking his little head out at her curiously.

“No, child. I sent him to you.”

“My mother saw you in the cyclone that swept me here.”

Glinda nodded.

Beatrice looked around the lobby at the crowd, then at Miss One and Tristian, and then at Herman, Lion, Tin Man, and Scarecrow.

Scarecrow was looking nervous and anxious as he met her gaze.

“So what happens now?” Beatrice asked Glinda when she turned her stare back on her. “Am I meant to stay here in Oz? Is this my purpose?”

Now it seemed as if everyone was holding their breath as they waited for the response.

Glinda answered patiently, “I’m afraid I can’t decide that for you.”

Beatrice frowned. “What do you mean?”

“No one can tell you what to do with your life, Beatrice. You decide what you live for.”

That’s exactly what Beatrice just told everyone a few minutes ago about having a ruler. She then gasped with excitement. “You mean if I wish it, I can stay?”

“Yes, but keep in mind, my dear child, that no matter what you choose, there’s a sacrifice you’ll have to make.”

Beatrice’s smile faded. “Is there any way around it?” Her voice was hopeful.

Glinda shook her head sympathetically. “I’m afraid not. With love comes big sacrifices.”

Beatrice’s heart dropped.

“Beatrice,” Scarecrow called her after a moment. When she turned around to face him, he cupped her face. His eyes were saddened but he smiled at her anyways. “It’s okay. You don’t have to stay to prove that you love me.”

“Scarecrow?” She was bewildered. What was he saying?

“I already know how you feel. And it’s not fair to pressure you. So for that, I’m sorry,” he crooned genuinely.

Her heart felt even heavier than before. “Scarecrow, don’t-”

“Whatever you decide,” he said before she could finish. “Just know that in here,” he palmed his heart. “You’ll always feel like mine.”

Seeing him on the brink of tears made her feel like crying herself. She palmed her own heart and then a tear actually strolled down her right cheek. “Same here. No matter where I am, you’ll always have my heart.” She then traced his face like she did when she first met him in the munchkin’s hideout. “I really do love you, Scarecrow.”

Now Scarecrow’s first tears were making their debut. “La Rochefoucauld says that ‘true love is like ghosts, which everybody talks about and few have seen.’” He kissed her lips with sadness and passion. When he pulled away, he said, “Thanks to you, I am now among the fortunate few who have witnessed it.”

Oh, Scarecrow! Beatrice’s heart was screaming right now. But there was just no way she could be with him AND her family. No way was this an easy decision but she was going to have to give up something. Now, there was no more holding back the tears. Her waterworks were on all the way. She reluctantly pulled herself away from him and glance at all the other sad faces around her.

Little Tristian was crying too. “Don’t go,” he pouted. His eyes were red from tears.

That made her feel more miserable.

Tin Man’s look was gentle. “Follow your heart” he told her.

Lion cleared his throat in order to stop himself from crying but didn’t say anything.

Miss One was also trying to smile through her tears. “You will really be missed, my dear. But we understand.”

After looking the rest of the crowd over, whom were all looking reluctant for her to leave, she took a deep breath and face Glinda once more. “Glinda?”

The radiant witch watched her with patience. “Yes, child?”

More tears were streaming down Beatrice’s face. She barely sounded like herself when she said, “I’ve made my decision.”
Chapter End Notes:
Oh boy! I have to know what you all are thinking right now so please share your thoughts with me. I'll try to have the next chapter up by Labor day.