- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Here's Chappie 31!

Here's Chapter 31.  

Chapter 31.

Michael watched the young Maxwell child as she finished her drink feeling warm in an instant; she then put it on her bedside table and sighed. It was now time to talk and he didn't care how late it was; he wanted to hear the truth. "Now Lizzy, can you explain to me why you were drowning in the pond?" He asked very gently. She then looked down studying her hands as she felt his in her palm gazing at her lovingly with his eyes filled with care and sincerity that it was impossible to keep things from him.

She then took a deep breath closing her eyes as the tears started to slide down. She opened them back up. "The only reason why was because, because... I wanted to be with my parents." Michael stared wide eyed at her after blurting out her confession but then his face softened as he climbed up on the bed and hugged her while stroking her hair. "Oh Lizzy sweetie, why on Earth would you do something so dangerous? You could have not survived." She then sniffled little sniffles after explaining to him slowly and carefully about their sudden deaths, The Pastor visiting them, and then the suicidal attempt.

Mike patted her on the back in a very comforting way as he lifted her chin making her come into contact with him drying away her eye water. "Now you listen here little lady. I know how much it hurts to miss the people who you loved so much that you become inseparable with them; sometimes in life, when we try to get on with our lives, we just keep having memories whether good, bad, or in between. I understand how hard it is and how much it hurts; when I was 5 years old, I had a pet rat named Ben; he was the first friend I had ever made; I never really had friends it was just me and my brothers. We had done almost everything together." "What happened to Ben Mr. Jackson?" Lizzy asked curiously.

"Well, one night, after we came back from winning a Talent Show, and when I was about to show him my trophy, I saw that he was killed in a mousetrap. I cried and cried trying to tell myself that everything was going to be alright; I had lost him, that one little rat who I called a friend was taken away from me." Michael wiped away his tears not wanting for her to see him in his state. "To this day, I still have memories of all the fun things we used to do. Then, when I got to your age, it didn't take long for me to make a new friend of my own; his name was Bradley Holloway." "Was he another rat whom you had met?" Liz asked seeing him shake his head.

"No, he was a human. He was so much fun to be with; he was like another brother to me. I would always go over to his house on weekends to play, watch cartoons, or even go swimming but, that day it was the day I would never forget. It was a very hot Saturday; we asked his mother if it was okay for him to come with me and Marlon to the lake where we could swim just to beat the heat. We were playing cannonballs to see who would dunk and come out like one. When it was his turn, he never came back up. We looked everywhere for him to see if he was on shore or if he was just pulling pranks on us. Sadly, he drowned; I was so miserable to the point, I didn't want to eat, I stayed locked up in my room for most of the day, and really didn't talk to anyone. And, when I found you, it brought me back to when he was like that only thing I knew what to do to get you back alive; I was afraid that I was going to lose you." 

Lizzy looked down very guilty feeling sorry that she had worried him, and everyone else. "I'm really sorry Michael, I really didn't know what I was thinking; it's just that, I really, really miss my Mommy and Daddy." "I know honey but wanting to take your own life away isn't going to bring them back; you still have everything you want to do ahead of yourself plus, you have good people that care about you and your brother; and one more thing, if ever you have a problem, don't ever be ashamed, afraid, or embarrassed to come talk to me because I will give you the correct answers." Mike assured her who nodded smiling and giving him a kiss on the cheek.

"Thank you Mr. Jackson." She said going to her pillow as he then tucked her in kissing her forehead. As he was about to leave, she asked him if he could stay in her room just for tonight. Smiling warmly, and getting a pillow, he laid down beside her.