- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Im terribly sorry for my long absence due to school, but I bring you a brand new chapter of Experiment 72!!! :D Im hoping this will repay for my absence

Sweetheart
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Luna carefully took off 72’s shorts a second time and quickly restrained him to the table in case she took too long with the examination and he woke up, being gentle with his wrists and ankles. She typed a few commands to the computer and adjusted her eyeglasses with the camera still attached.

“okay, looking for more signs of vitiligo….” She breathed as she carefully checked his nude body. It felt really strange feeling him all over for the disease, especially checking a grown man for a woman like her. She bit her lip and paused, try not to get too excited Luna she thought. She jumped when 72’s whole body twitched.

Shaking her head, she continued her search on him. She paused at his arm, grazing her fingers across it and even taking off the restraint to lift his hand which slowly closed onto hers. She smiled “you remind me of my baby back home”.

As in ‘baby’ Luna meant her fiancée who she left behind years ago on earth so she could become part of this ‘once in a lifetime opportunity’ project. At first, she was a bit hesitant about the whole idea about creating a new being out of nothing. It was literally impossible to create a human without the proper requirements, everything was artificial but the cells. The womb they grew up in, the chambers they developed from child to adolescent to adult. Everything was artificial.

It appeared as a huge hype before when she realized that she was being sent into space. Sure it seemed like a whole joke creating a new type of DNA strand for creating a human hybrid with mixed animal DNA, and how illegal it sounded too. Luna thought it was like it would be more of a mad scientist thing, the contract almost looked like you just won the lottery, which her fiancée talked her into accepting for their wedding after she returns back. Until she found out more about the whole project as she spent her time on the ship, and how sickening it is to forcefully create some cross breed of a human and watching every single one of them die a painful death or freezing when Blank pulled the lever of their cases.

Luna felt that she fell for the money too, this whole project is just for money, and she fell right into their trap. But there was no going back now, they are already here.

72’s hand dropped to the table. The lab was filled with an eerie silence as Luna stared blankly at 72’s body. Watching his chest rise and fall, how his ribcage would slightly show as he breathed. Somehow Luna felt as if she were back with her fiancée just looking at 72 for some reason, they were almost alike, they were both sweet and stubborn. Whenever Luna would have 72 sleeping in her arms she would remember him holding her in his arms when she was upset. Luna swallowed and wiped her eyes quickly with her sleeve to avoid tearing up as she continued her search.

“signs of splotches located behind the left ear, upper thigh, specks on right ankle, both very faded on wrists, behind his upper neck, lower left hip, somewhat a large splotch around his right stomach area” she smoothed her fingers across his ribcage peeking out from his chest. Pressing gently, feeling the slow pound of his heart.

Luna sighed and pulled his wrist back into the restraint. She pulled out a small needle and pricked his finger, bright red blood quickly welled up from the wound as Luna slid a card across it, staining it. Quickly she wrote on the card and grabbed a glass slide, she slid a glass slide underneath his finger, catching a drop of his blood on it and went to work.

Luna set up her camera on her special microscope acquired from the company itself. She slid the glass under the projector and looked through the lenses. Carefully focusing on the slide, her eyes widened at the sight of his blood. The tiny red cells were slowly yet constantly multiplying right before her eyes. How could this be? Uncertain, she went back to 72 with a scalpel in hand. Ever so carefully, she pressed the blade on his hand. That’s when she noticed her hand was shaking hesitantly. She took a breath and gave a quick yet slight cut. She couldn’t believe her eyes when the cut suddenly vanished right before blood can be seen. Dumbstruck, the scalpel fell from her hands and the blade grazed his skin. The cut disappeared instantly as it was formed.

“amazing regenerative abilities” she breathed as 72’s eyes shot open, just as the scalpel settled on the metal table. Luna tore away from the table as he began to pull against the restraints, his whole body going rigid.

Luna grabbed the scalpel and pulled it away from the table. 72 immediately stopped struggling and relaxed, now staring at her. His eyes drilling deep into her as she knew that he was beginning to detest the restraints.
Silently, she slowly held up the scalpel when 72 snapped viciously at her, his eyes wide and his hands clenched tightly into fists. A low gurgling sound came from him, as if he was growling at her. The scalpel dropped to the floor and clattered to a halt when the restraint holding his wrist down snapped off the table. The wires attached to his arm tore off painfully as he swung his free arm against the table.

The moment Luna screamed she slapped her hands over her mouth, knowing if anyone outside her office could’ve heard her, they would know something was up. 72 cried desperately, pulling hard against the restraints, his free arm flailing. The machines in the room began to act up, beeping noises quickened and monitors flashed increased vital rates. Luna screamed his name to stop, but her voice was easily drowned out by his crying.

She quickly dug into her pocket with trembling hands and pulled out an emergency tranquilizizer. 72 continued to struggle against the binds as Luna, who could’ve set him asleep by now, stood rigid against her desk, horrified.

Her whole body and mind was screaming at her; do it!, do it! put him down! but her heart said No. He was no animal, he’s only human (sort of) being scared out of his wits and frightened of the things around him.
Without thinking she lunged towards him “72 STOP!” she screeched, reaching for his flailing arm when the back of his hand struck her cheek, right near the place where Blank hit her jaw. The pain was revolting, half her face went numb when she finally grabbed his hand and slammed it against the table. 72 finally snapped out of it and stared down at his friend’s battered face, streaked with tears and sweat. Her thick eyeglasses half tilted at the bridge of her nose gave her a goofy appearance as she lingered awkwardly positioned ontop of his half nude body. The needle was positioned ready at his neck without even realizing it.
Her finger’s quivered at the plunger as they both stared at each other. Luna laid the needle down on the table, her free hand brushed against his soft warm skin. “hey” she whispered softly “hey, it’s okay”. 72 searched her eyes as she continued to talk to him. She felt his wrist begin relax in her grip as she spoke to him calmly. He moaned and turned away from her, pulling his free hand out of her grip and brushed her cheek lightly. It looked like as he’s had enough.
Luna carefully pulled herself away from him, feeling her cheeks burn with embarrassment. Or was she really blushing?
“I-Im so sorry, 72” She murmured.
After leaving the specimen alone with all his restraints free, Luna carefully cradled her injured jaw with a fresh ice pack back in her original office/room. It was difficult to multitask now that one hand was occupied at her swollen jaw. The ballpoint pen dropped against the paper, leaving a slight ink blotch. At first she thought about the foolish incident back in the examination room where Black gassed both hybrids and got elbowed in the jaw. Now the pain was even worse when 72 knocked her silly in the same spot.

Digging through her clustered drawers, she pulled out a painkiller and downed it with coffee. Shoving aside the work Blank gave her, she pulled out 72’s folder and leafed through it. Documents leading back when he was just… well…. Nothing really. At first he was just some strands of DNA being grafted into each other, then he was just cells, then a fetus, and finally a baby. Then the memory of the big ol chief of this wack operation nearly killing our only surviving experiment. For a moment Luna thought that this was just a scheme to get money flushing down the toilet. The whole’ create a new race’ was just a lust for new life, and more power.

“either he goes down, or you go down with him” Blank would always tell us whenever an experiment is at its half stage, before it goes into the chamber where 72 and 62 both grew up. The scientists would carefully examine each experiment, and determine if they need to go back into the chamber or can grow without it. Each experiment were either mutilated beasts or just messed up beyond repair, and yes, most of them were aggressive. Luna felt like she had gotten into the habit of tranquilizing them whenever they flipped out every few seconds. Most were put down or frozen and re-used for DNA splicing for future experiments.

After spending his whole life in an artificial chamber, he can really be a handful, especially when it comes who whacking you in the jaw with such force. Luna typed in his analysis on her computer, clutching the file close. Luna was beginning to have the feeling that how he reacted back there with the scalpel may just be because of his hearing. Or his ears are sensitive to metallic sounds?

Getting back to work, Luna suddenly had the feeling that she was being watched. Her hand went ridged for a moment, her pen hovering above the paper before it pressed against it once again. Forgetting the feeling, only when she heard something drop.

Luna whipped around to see a plastic Star Trek cup rolling around to a stop. It was a birthday present from her brother years before he died in a car accident. She was about to excuse it when she saw a pale hand coming from behind a white modern bookshelf stuffed with buldging books and kick-nacks, it grabbed the cup, and disappeared.

Her voice shook “72?” This better not be a hallucination because she can already feel herself being tipped over the brink.

There was a slight pause before she could hear something rustling behind the furniture. Another cup fell from the shelf and rolled away under her bed. Finally 72’s pale face appeared behind the polished wood, draped in curls as he quietly approached the bed until he caught Luna’s glance. His wide innocent eyes bore into Luna’s like daggers as he quietly began to retreat behind the bookshelf once again.

At first, Luna wanted to yell at the poor thing. Asking why he is in her office/room and, how the hell did he get there in the first place?! But all she could do was giggle at him, feeling her anger wash away looking into his beautiful brown eyes. Feeling a strange connection, Luna slipped off her chair, went down on her knees and silently crawled towards the bookshelf. She took a deep breath and peeked to see him packed against the corner of the bookshelf, as if he is trying to squeeze himself into the small corner. His wide eyes stared back at her through his curls. The Star Trek cup was clenched tightly in his hand.

Luna held out her hand to him. It didn’t take long for 72 to process this when he quietly pulled himself away from the corner and moved cautiously towards her outstretched hand. Luna could notice his left leg was at an alarming angle as he came close enough for the tip of his nose to brush against her fingertips. Feeling his steady breath against her skin, and his warm eyes that looked like melted chocolate sparkled. Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. The moment was broken.

Luna’s head whipped around in surprise towards the door, retracting her hand.

“Hey, Luna? You in here?” Blank.

Luna immediately straightened “Y-yes sir, what may I do for you? “ She said before turning to 72. “stay here” she whispered before opening the door for Blank, trying not to give away that their beloved experiment was hiding behind the bookshelf in the assistant’s room.

Blank raised an eyebrow at her and smiled, closing the door an inch behind him. “well just checking up on you” the smile faded immediately as it was made “I heard about the incident today Luna, what is the big commotion?”

Luna tried not to flinch as she swallowed nervously, her gaze darting between him and the bookshelf, horrified if 72 moved she would be in massive trouble “ uh-umm….. well you see, I think 72 just had a bad reaction with the food… or we could’ve overfed him…” she blabbered on. Blank, who seemed to be ignoring this, sat down at the side of her bed. Luna’s eyes widened, worried if he might catch 72 hiding.

Blank shook his head wryly “Luna, Luna, Luna” he sighed “you must know better now that our experiments cant eat too much now. They just woke up!” yeah, like 2 weeks ago “they are developing fast now, especially our main man” he paused “They will begin grow and learn faster than regular humans at, oh let’s say, triple the pace. Its like learning everything from preschool to grade 4 in a month or two!” He smiled “how amazing is that? Just how we wanted them”

Luna could feel the pain returning back to her chest, feeling it squeeze against her heart like barbed wire. She was already sick of hearing ‘oh they can learn twice as fast as we can, maybe they can predict the mass of the earth or something’ or ‘maybe they can pick up on a new language too, they would start speaking fluently in 2 months’. Blank only referred and labeled them as the so called ‘new race’ that everyone signed up for to create history. Then, he would plan to stick needles and probe them with this and that and see if the ‘new race’ can withstand radiation or something crazy. It was all yakity- smackity all over the place.

She tried not to shudder seeing the same darkness overcome him that was visible in his eyes. She didn’t know what side she was really on. Good, or bad?

“so that means you cant just go on and feed him like a pig” Blank continued, pulling off his sharply rimmed glasses and wiping them against a silk cloth before pushing them back on his nose. It looks like he is just making Levi jealous of how strict he can be. “I can see he needs some weight anyways, but don’t over feed him Luna, you’re just making things worse if you prick and prod on him” He said, pushing himself off the bed and toward the door.

“besides, you know that he wont cling to you forever Luna. Sooner or later he might not even remember who you are anymore”

*click*

Luna didn’t know how long she took staring at the door. Wishing it could explode or something. Wishing that Blank’s shiny bald head can explode, wishing that he can just get lost, wishing that he can get out of her life, wishing that she was off this ship and with her fiancée, not tangled in this mess of the Government and experiments of what is to become a ‘new race’ . She just wanted- to be with 72.

“L-Luna”

Luna turned around to see him now peeking from behind the bed, his big pale hands clutching the bedsheets lovingly. His eyes longed for her to pick him up and hug her problems away.

“hey there sweetie” she crooned “what are you doing back there?”

72 smiled and pulled the covers over his head playfully. He suddenly realized what he was doing and began to panic, pulling his head out and falling backwards. Luna gasped and rushed behind the bed where 72 was looking up at her. Luna raised an eyebrow, he’s naked again…

“Luna” he purred as she helped him up. She braced him against the bed and rummaged through one of her dresser drawers, pulling out an oversized T-shirt. He clung to her as she slipped the shirt on him, his eyes sparkled.

“Blank, bad” he said as she brushed his hair away. “I know sweetie, I know” she rubbed his cheeks again making him whine delightfully. He grabbed her hair and yanked at it playfully, making her wince in pain. “hey! quit that!” she giggled, brushing his hand away. That’s when he grabbed it, startling Luna. 72 held her hand close and opened it carefully like if he was opening a flower, he examined it carefully, his fingers pressing and proding against her palm was a bit painful at the way he was holding it, like if he were about to bend it in half. He pulled and bent her fingers this way and that way. He slid his hand over hers, compared to her tiny hand, his were almost the size of Brendon’s. He smiled and wrapped his arms around her, purring sweetly. Luna rubbed his broad back taking in his blazing warmth, thinking about what Blank said. Wondering if 72 would really forget her after he goes back with his sister, and after the experimentation that awaits him. Would he really forgive her? Or-

“L-Love Y-You”

Luna gasped lightly, already feeling tears beginning to well up in her eyes. “love you” he repeated, pulling away from her, his hands resting against her shoulders. Luna couldn’t remember teaching him that phrase yet when he nodded behind her. “Love you” he said. Luna turned around and noticed what he was looking at. It was a small bear with a ‘Love you’ heart attached to its hands.

She reached for it and handed it to him “Love you” she said, placing the bear in his hands. 72 stared at the strange item for a moment “L-love you?” he said, looking back at her. “Yes, Love you. I love you” Luna said smiling.

72 looked back at the bear and smiled weakly. “Love you….” He threw his arms around her once again “love you, love you, I love you!”. Tears began to stream down her cheeks, she pulled him closer and wept in his shoulder.

“I love you Luna, love you forever”
Chapter End Notes:

72 has to stop being so sweet cause I cant even anymore /;w;/

Please leave any comments and tell me how it was! :D