- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Hey all, this is a very sad but important chapter. Anyone who wanted to learn more about Destiny, this is the chapter to do it. She's a trooper. Please enjoy. :)

Flashback to 1984

Destiny sat in the back of the car, talking to her father about her day. They had just left the sitter’s. Her father was the only one taking care of her. It’d been that way for as long as Destiny could remember. Her parents had been young, about nineteen when she was born. Both liked to party, in fact they’d met at a club.

                From the moment her mother had known she was pregnant with her, she had wanted to be rid of her. She didn’t want kids, she wasn’t ready to settle down and be an adult like her father had decided to when he’d found out. In fact, he was the whole reason little Destiny sat in the back right now, playing with her small toy doll. Her mother had left them when she was only one years old.

                Despite not having a mother, she was the happiest little girl you could ever imagine. Her father thought about all of this as he listened to his forever cheerful little girl. Suddenly, a blindingly bright white light filled the car. The headlights of a van were all her father saw before they collided. It was a quick, but deadly hit, smashing the front of the car in.

                Little Destiny cried out for help, she cried and cried. But no one heard her. There wasn’t a car in sight right now. She clutched the small doll close to her, a birthday present from last year from her father. “Daddy?” She called but got no response. “Daddy?!” She tried again, still without a response

Suddenly, another pair of blindingly bright headlights filled the car, Little Destiny hid her tiny face in her jacket, awaiting the same as before. Nothing came but she was too scared to peak up. There were two muffled voices coming from outside the wrecked vehicle which only scared her more. She started crying again. Another, dimmer, more circular light suddenly shone on her.

“There’s a young one in here! Hurry, we gotta get her out!” A male voice said.

“I think all the damage was taken by the front. I don’t think the driver made it.” A female voice replied.

“Call help!” The male voice commanded softly.

“Workin’ on it!” The female voice replied.

                Little Destiny had no idea what was going on, she just wanted to go home with her daddy. They didn’t think the driver made it, what did that mean? She didn’t know. She tried to huddle more into her jacket.

                Things went so quickly. There were so many people, it was all a blur to her. A lot of people seemed to be wearing uniforms. She recognized them as police officers. Her father had told her they were people she could trust. A woman with honey blond hair was asking her questions but she remained silent.

“Just tell us your name, sweetie.” The woman said, softly.

“D-Destiny...” She said in the softest voice that was barely above a whisper. A pin dropping might have been louder.

“That’s a very pretty name.” She said with a warm, kind smile.

Destiny just nodded, her eyes trailing to the doll in her hands. She wanted her daddy. She wondered when she could see him. The poor girl didn’t quite understand that, that was no longer possible.

The honey blond woman turned to talk quietly to some once dressed in a white coat. She recognized the man as a doctor. Another person her father had told her to trust. The doctor had been called in to check her out. They’d been told that physically she was okay, mentally was another story.

“I want my daddy.” Destiny said, a pout on her tiny features. What little kid wouldn’t want their father?

The two adults glanced at each other before looking at her. The doctor crouched down next to her. “Destiny... your daddy got hurt very seriously and he probably won’t wake up. I’m very sorry...” He told her.

Destiny’s eyes filled with tears. “But he has too!” She said, clutching her doll closer to her. The doctor stood again. “I really am very sorry.” He said.

Destiny looked down, the tears flowing freely down her cheeks. She didn’t understand why. Why would someone take her daddy from her like this?

It had seemed that the accident was caused by a drunk driver. They’d been chasing him for awhile because he was swerving so badly. They had hoped to get him off the road before he caused an accident but they’d lost them for a minute or so. It seemed he’d swerved into their lane and hit the car hard enough to smash the whole front in killing her father on impact. Destiny had been in the back so she’d been safer.

Destiny never forgot that day and having no other living relatives, she was sent into a home. For the longest time it was home after home. For whatever reason she hadn’t been adopted until much later.

End Flashback

 

Flashback to 1990

Destiny sat on her bed, reading her book, her doll from so long ago, sitting on her pillow as she read aloud to it. Supposedly some big guest was stopping by and all of the other children were excited to see who it was. Destiny however was content with her book and her doll.

She finished that book soon after and grabbed another one, just as she was about to read it, she heard a bunch of squeals of excitement. She blinked and looked up, there stood a tall man, with long ebony hair and the warmest brown eyes. He wore a smile on his thick lips and a bag sat next to him. Gifts? What for?

All the other kids gathered around the man as he laughed. “Hello, everyone!” He said, carrying the bag to one of the other beds. He took a seat. “Would you like to see what I’ve brought you all?”

“Yeah!” They all cheered.

He laughed. “Alright, alright. One at a time.” He said, reaching into the bag and pulling out a teddy bear. He handed it to one of the youngest kids named Jeanie. Jeanie hugged it tightly to her.

“Thank you, Michael!” She said with a warm smile.

“You’re welcome.” He said with a warm smile, patting her head gently. He reached in and pulled out a toy car and handed it to one of the boys named Corey. Corey made car noises before smiling.

“Thank you, Michael!” He echoed Jeanie.

Michael? Who was he? All the kids seemed to know him, except her. Michael continued to hand out gifts to the grateful children. It wasn’t often someone was this generous to them and they appreciated the people who ones who did. Michael seemed like a good person.

She shrugged and went to start her book, only to be interrupted by Michael himself.

“Didn’t you come over when I was handing the gifts out?” He asked her. He had a very soft and gentle voice.

“No, I didn’t want anything, I’m good just reading my books. But thank you.” Destiny said.

“You’re welcome.” Michael said. “Reading, huh? You know that’s one of my favorite past times as well.”

“Really? What do you like to read?” She asked.

“All the classics really. How about you?”

“That’s the same for me!!” She said, launching into a full conversation about books. He listened and talked animatedly back. He loved that a child as young as her was reading classic novels.

There was something about her that Michael enjoyed. Once she warmed up to him she was a very lively person. It was nice. He made sure to keep up his visits with her until he fully decided to adopt her. He couldn’t believe no one had yet.

                When Michael came to her about what he wanted to do, she was shocked. He wanted to adopt her? Of all people... her? It made her feel good inside but she also didn’t fully understand it. She’d been in homes since about the age of six and no one had wanted her. Why the sudden change?

                Whatever the reason, she was thrilled once it was finalized. She had so badly wanted a family ever since she was in these homes. While people were nice to her, it wasn’t the same. How could it be? The hardest part of living with Michael was telling him what had happened. Sometimes the nightmares of that dreadful day still haunted her, she felt it always would. Michael helped her through all of it.

 

End flashback

 

Chapter End Notes:

I'm sorry for the sad chapter! :( I hope you liked it.