The Heir of the Stone by Aranya
Summary:

 Lapis Philosophorum or the Philosopher’s stone is the most sought out object of humanity. Few truly know of its existence. The legendary stone protects the balance between the mortal world and heaven, safely nestled in the core of the heir it chooses. But dark powers are rising to hunt the current heir and claim the stone, and mankind is at danger.


The situation becomes even direr when the successor is only an ordinary human. She must train under the current bearer, and make herself capable of defeating the enemy, gaining allies along the way.


Philosopher's stone


(Cover photo by davebold370 on DeviantArt)


Categories: HIStory: 1995-1999, Adventure, Family, Fantasy, Supernatural Characters: Michael
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 4770 Read: 3218 Published: Dec 28, 2017 Updated: Dec 31, 2017
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. No money is being made from this work. No copyright infringement is intended.

1. Chapter 1: The Beginning by Aranya

2. Chapter 2: Disturbing Encounters by Aranya

3. Chapter 3 by Aranya

Chapter 1: The Beginning by Aranya
Author's Notes:

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. I hope you will like it.  Reviews and criticisms are always appreciated.Yes, this story features MJ as Maestro and it will have no romance whatsoever with the OC.

 

It was a sunny day and I felt I was off to a great start as I stepped off of my bus.


There were a few people on the bus stand beside me, and the time was approximately 10 o’clock.


I’m Aroni, A freelancer recently graduating in CSE from Gatech and looking for a calm and quiet place to indulge in both my work and nature. A friend of mine told me of this eerily ‘normal’ town, where nothing exciting ever happened and everybody preferred to be born, work, marry and die.


It was a very boring town, but also some place where an unsocial person like me could live without ever needing to come out of the home. Perhaps the normal people would find it very annoying; nevertheless they wouldn’t give a damn. So I talked to the mayor and got myself rented a lovely studio Apartment, persuading him with a written note of ‘innocence’ from my former professor.


Back to the story.


I turned on Google maps. The town was very small, with its inhabitants being only three hundred. My Apartment was on a street named Lily Garden Road. Getting the directions, I began to walk.


The roads were fairly clean and there were trimmed grass and bushes on either side. There were houses mostly, one-storied or two, most of them colored white or grey. Some houses had lawns in front of them and some of them not. The weather felt fine to me.


I rang the mayor. ”Hello, Mayor Wilson?”


“Yes. I take it you have already arrived?”


“Yeah, just now.”


“Alright, see me when you’re free. Anyone will tell you where my office is.”


The mayor seemed very gruff and serious sort of a person, which should’ve been expected considering the town’s name. After that I rang up my mom in Bangladesh, telling her I arrived fine.


My apartment was okay. It already had a small bed, basic kitchen fittings and bathroom amenities. It was on the second floor, facing south.  After tidying up everything, I got out to explore the city.


The houses were chunked into ten blocks. There was a small shopping complex, boutique stores, cafes and other shops separated in a single block, appropriately called shopping district. The town had a hospital and a Nursing home, a public school, a library and other basic things every town ought to have. The town offered a lake as a natural spot, and there was a park surrounding it.


It seemed like a peaceful place.


While I was touring, I saw a white structure at the edge of the town vaguely resembling a manor. It seemed something like a horror movie would feature. I already knew its identity.


I laughed remembering the cautionary lecture given to me by the mayor.


“As you are new here, Miss Roy, whatever you do, you may not- I repeat, and you may not visit the manor at the end of the town.”


He looked very grave, as if the manor had terrible criminals locked up inside it.


I tilted my head, “Oh, is there a manor at the end of the town?”


“Yes. It is forbidden to go there.”


 I felt like laughing. As with most towns, this town probably had a ghost story associated with it. Nevertheless I kept my amusement a secret and asked in the gravest tone I could manage,


“May I ask why?”


“Well,” He looked uncomfortable. He said, “The manor is haunted. I don’t care if you modern folks believe it or not, a terrible freak lives there with his hound of ghosts and none of the townspeople go near it.”


“Oh,” I nodded, “that is so scary.”


The mayor had no idea he just piqued my interest in the so-called haunted mansion and I was going to spend my first night there. 


I waited for evening to fall. When it was almost eight, I packed my backpack and began for “Someplace Else”. It took something like seven minutes to locate because the town was so tiny, and upfront, it truly looked breathtaking. Constructed in the style of Victorian Era, the structure was two-storied and pure white, bordered by iron-clad gates and brick walls. Though the building was covered in a thick layer of grime and dust and had the toll of centuries imposed on it, it still spoke of the hidden glory in its younger days.


I slowly pushed the iron gates open and stepped inside. Dead leaves rustled at my feet. I pointed my torch at the doorway, feeling a shiver run down my spine. I felt brave in the morning, but the night was a different case.


As I took a step forward, the gates behind me swung close. My heart skipped a beat and I almost let a scream out.  


“What in the world-?”


To increase my Anxiety, the big wooden doors to the manor opened with a loud clang.


Shit, what’s going on?            


I tried to get out. I pushed the gate but it felt as if I was a rag doll pushing against a boulder. I banged on it. “Oh goodness, please open!”


Then I heard a soft, sweet melody. It was coming from the manor. It was the sound of a piano.  Someone was playing it; but who would live in a deserted mansion and play the piano dead of the night?


I felt truly scared. But there wasn’t a way back. Convincing myself that everything would make sense in the end and ghosts didn’t exist, I took steps toward the manor. I could hear the tune of music getting stronger.


I finally stepped inside the house. It was too dark to see anything. I pointed my torch around. The smell of old and dust hung thickly in the air. Everything was covered in cobwebs. The persistent melody seemed to be coming from the second floor, accessible by a great spiral staircase laid in front, as if enticing me to go ahead.


Then, the doors closed behind. I was shaking.


“Hello?” I tried. “Is there anyone here?”


My voice echoed back And forth eerily. The piano stopped playing. I stepped back in alarm.


There was no sound now. Only the dull rhythm of my heartbeat I could hear. Tears welled in my eyes. I couldn’t bear it anymore.  I turned around to run and screamed.


A skull was laughing at me madly.


I tried to run. Then the skeleton reached forward, and grabbed my arm. Surprisingly, ‘his’ hand was made of flesh, but the touch felt deathly cold.


The other hand grabbed the skull and pulled it down to reveal the face of a human. A pale man in his middle Ages, his deep brown eyes looked at me. He grinned amusedly.


“I’m sorry. I didn’t think you’d be so scared.”


I was panting. “What the hell is your problem?” I snapped up at him. Then realization struck me and I said, “I’m sorry, do you live here?”


He nodded softly. I asked again, “Are you – Are you, by any chance, the Maestro?”


He nodded again in reply. This time he had a mischievous smile on his face, and did a theatrical bow.


“The one and only.”


“You scared the crap out of me, dude!”


Maestro giggled. “I profusely apologize.” He said, still laughing. “I just haven’t had the chance to prank someone in a while and it seemed such a good opportunity to pass by. But I didn’t think you’d be so shocked.”


“Like hell anyone wouldn’t be scared!” I said, crossing my arm. My heartbeat still hadn’t returned to normal.


“Alright, Alright. Come with me, you need to catch your breath.”


Maestro led me through the hallway to the second floor by the spiral stairways.


“Hey, were you the guy playing piano?”


“Yes,” Maestro replied. “Also to scare you.”


“You honestly enjoy this too much.” I said, “But can’t you tidy up this place a bit? It looks like it hasn’t been taken care of for hundreds of years.” 


“It is partly true.” He said. “It might be hypocritical, but I like to keep this place how it was… this way, it reminds me of the memories.”


“You’re talking like you actually lived hundreds of years ago.” I said. Maestro simply chuckled in reply. We arrived In front of a room that looked better than the other parts of this mansion. It was the parlor.


There was a lightened fireplace. The room had a cozy sofa, warm carpets, a wooden tea table, and the walls were occupied by book selves filled with ancient tomes. The wall above the fireplace contained a few photos. There was also a grand piano, presumably where Maestro had been playing his song. The room was also very clean and smelled of pine trees.


I took a deep breath.  “Whew. It’s such a nice change of atmosphere.”


Maestro smiled. “Please take a seat, miss…”


“Oh! I haven’t introduced myself,” I said, holding out a hand. “My name is Aroni. Aroni Roy.”


Maestro shook my hand and softly kissed it. He said, “And I’m Maestro. Are you from India?”


I shook my head and said, “Bangladesh. It’s bordered by India.”


“It’s a pleasure to meet you, Miss Roy.” Maestro said graciously, “Please take a seat.”


“Just Aroni, please.” I said and sat down on the sofa. Maestro took the seat beside me.


“I haven’t seen you here before,” he remarked.


“Yeah, I moved here today.” I said. He raised his eyebrows.


“Moved here today and paid me a visit,” he said, smiling. “What an honor. Pray tell how you came to know about this outcast?”


I scratched my head. “Well, I don’t really know if you’d like to hear it…”


“Well, go on. I don’t bite.”


I took a good look at Maestro. He was looking at me with Attention. His curly black hair framed his face and fell to his shoulders. He had long eyelashes, a pointed nose, and a square face. His face seemed very delicate, as if it was made of porcelain. He wore a white poet’s shirt and black pants.


 None of his features really matched with the description of the mayor.


 “Uh, Mayor Wilson kinda told me-”


At the mention of the mayor, Maestro’s face momentarily hardened. Seeing my pause, his expression returned to normal and he motioned me to continue.


He must not like him. No surprise, though.


I sheepishly laughed and said, “He said this manor was haunted, and I had nothing better to do, so I thought – why not try to see some ghosts, and well, you know the rest.”


Maestro laughed. He asked, “Do you want to see ghosts?”


“Nah,” I shook my head and said, “I don’t believe in them.”


He stared at me. I turned away, taking in my surroundings. “Do you live here alone?” I asked.


“No. I live with my family.”


“Your family? Uh, don’t they mind the spider webs?”


“No,” Maestro smirked. “They love it.”


He snapped his fingers. Suddenly there was a rustle behind me.


Maestro said, “Meet the family.”


Then without warning, I could see grey wisps materializing in front of me. They rose from the carpet, they flew from the fireplace like dust blobs.


“What’s going on-?”`


Hissing and splashing, the wisps began shaping themselves into human figures. I let out a gasp of shock.


Two men and a woman were standing before us. Or rather, transparent human-shaped figures were floating a meter above ground. They bowed in unison and smiled.


The man at the left first spoke out in a deep, booming voice.


“I am William Nicholas Scott and it is a great pleasure to meet you, Miss Roy. I heartily welcome you to our residence.” William spoke with a thick British Accent. He seemed to be in his forties. He was dressed in formal Attire and it was clear from his looks that he must have been a gentleman of good social standing.


The man standing next to him was considerably younger. He had long blonde hair tied in a ponytail, and wore more casual clothes than William. He grinned and said, “The name’s Frederick, but I guess you can call me Freddie. It’s good to have a visitor after so long.”


The woman introduced herself next. She was pale with pink dusting at her cheeks, her eyes the color of almond. Her curly, red hair was pulled up in a gorgeous bun. She looked the oldest of the trio, her face wearing a kind and compassionate look. She wore a Victorian gown. With a graceful smile, she said,


“Welcome, my dear. My name is Clarisse Scarlett. I hope you will like our home.”


The world was spinning. Their words just barely reached my ears. As the trio finished their introduction, I fainted.




Oh man, my head’s a mess.


I felt so groggy. Gingerly opening an eye, I saw naked sunlight stream through a floor-length window beside me.


Where am I?


I jumped into a sitting position in alarm. I was lying in a four poster bed with satin curtains tied neatly at sides. There was a bedside table with a lamp, a wardrobe and a study table laden with thick books. Several lovely paintings were hung in the walls.


The events of the previous night returned to me.


A shiver ran down my spine.


“Maestro?” I called out.


Soon afterwards, I heard footsteps and the door unlocked to reveal the pale man I had met the night before.


“You are awake.” Maestro said kindly with a smile. He asked, “How are you doing?”


“Fine,” I replied, albeit shakily. “Where am I? What time is it?”


“You’re in one of our guestrooms. I hope you don’t mind, I had to bring you here as you had fainted last night. The time is approximately 7 o’clock.”


I held my face in my hands.


“We are very sorry to have scared you so much. I just hadn’t human contact for so long – perhaps I forgot the normal rules for conduct. I really hope you wouldn’t have any bad impression of me.”


I looked up at him and chuckled. “Well, that comes later. First I gotta check if I’m full-mad or half mad.”


Maestro was taken aback. “Are you trying to tell me… you don’t believe the events which happened yesterday?” he asked.


“I don’t know, honestly.”


He sat beside me and hesitantly touched my hand. I recoiled because it was so cold. “Feel my pulse,” he said.


I pressed down on his wrist and waited to locate the rhythm of his heart.


Except that it wasn’t there.


“Why…?”


Maestro drew his hand back. He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.


“You’re… dead?”


“Sort of. Having no pulse means dead, doesn’t it?”


I didn’t answer.


Shortly After that, I left the mansion with my backpack. I didn’t see the ghosts. I just ran my way to the exit. I was so anxious to just leave. I didn’t even bid Maestro goodbye.


The iron gates opened of their own accord and I let myself out. They slowly swung close. As I looked back at the manor, I saw Maestro looking at me from the window on the second floor. He seemed sad.


I withdrew my eyes and returned home.

Chapter 2: Disturbing Encounters by Aranya
Author's Notes:

Hey there, there's my poor attempt at writing suspense. Tell me how it was, please. 

The things I’d witnessed yesterday kept my mind occupied the whole day. I tapped on my keyboard and wondered what excuse I could give my employer. I didn’t write a single word of code and he wanted his site updated by tonight.


“Meet the family.”


He couldn’t be just messing with my mind, could he?


 I didn’t know if I should’ve trusted the words of the Mayor. But Maestro didn’t seem to harm me. He seemed sincerely sorry for his crazy antics. It was just advanced trickery – it had to be!


I sighed. Closing my laptop, I decided I needed some fresh air.


The lake wasn’t far away from my block. I sat down in the grass and breathed in the fresh air deeply. The water flowed calmly. I threw a small rock into it, making a small ripple pass through. The water was very clear. I could see little fishes swimming in it. 


How peaceful.


Then it happened.


My eyes wandered from the water body to the land and my heart almost stopped.


A girl, almost transparent and glowing as the rays of the sun fell on her, sitting on the other side of the lake. Her head was twisted sideways, like somebody broke it. She was looking at me, and became very excited meeting my eyes as she gave a maniac grin and waved.


I felt sick.


I ran out of the place, never looking back.


Please don’t tell me it’s him.


I arrived at the shopping district. Breathing heavily, I sat down on a bench. The place was filled with all sorts of people buying their necessities.


Her neck was warped As if it was squeezed like cloth by one’s hands.


I bought a soda to calm myself. I returned to my Apartment and called my mom.


“Hey mom, how’re you doing?”




“Maestro? Are you here?”


Maestro felt startled. He hadn’t heard someone coming. The ghosts didn’t tell him anything either. Who might it be?


Climbing down the stairs, Maestro saw a familiar person standing on the door. A person he hadn’t seen in a hundred years. His face told he didn’t bring good news.


“Leonidas? What’re you doing here after such a long time? And without a notice too-”


The man called Leonidas shook his head and handed Maestro a sealed envelope.


“Not here to gossip, Maestro. Grave news this time. Burn it after reading.”


Maestro froze as he took in the contents of the letter. “This can’t be! After what happened, this is impossible!”


“I don’t lie, nor does the Central Order. I can’t be here for long. Too risky.”


Maestro crumbled the paper in his hand. He muttered something and the parchment burst into flames, being reduced to ashes.


“Leo, I can’t let them harm innocent people for me. Tell the Order that I…” Maestro hesitated. He breathed in and then firmly said, “That I will retake my position and I will put an end to it.”


Leonidas nodded. “We knew we could always rely on you.  A globe-mail will suffice if you need anything.”


“Okay.”


“Then I’ll be off.”


Turning around, Leonidas clasped his hands together As if saying a prayer. Sunlight encircled his body and within moments, the man was gone.


Maestro sat down on the ground and grasped his head.


“Oh God.”


Clarisse floated beside him. She laid an airy hand on his shoulder. “We are beside you, my friend. It concerns us as much as it concerns you.”


Maestro said nothing in reply and stood up slowly. He had to reopen that chamber.


After what, a hundred years?


Maestro walked up to his grand staircase. He touched the stone wall in middle of the swirling staircases. So many memories. None good, though. He closed his eyes and let his mind focus. He made all the energy in his body dance to the rhythm of nature. And he spoke.


Maestro sung a shrill melody that made the hairs stand up on his body. He could feel heat all Around him. It burned into his dead heart.


Then there was a rumbling sound. The wall began to part into two halves. Maestro stepped back.


It worked.


Now there was a stairway leading to the dungeon awaiting him. He began stepping down.


The Central Order must win.




I couldn’t enjoy a wink of sleep. The image of the girl was blazing inside my head. Whenever I closed my eyes, I felt As if somebody was watching me.


Am I going crazy?


I regretted my decision of going to Someplace Else and wondered if he was doing these things. But Maestro wouldn’t do it. It didn’t match with him.


I sighed and turned the curtains open. I wished I didn’t.


Screaming, I fell back on my bed and scrawled away on all fours. The girl with the twisted head was there. She was banging herself against the window and trying to get in.


Tears gathered in my eyes and I ran to the bathroom. I sobbed for a long time. Why was this happening to me?


But why couldn’t she enter my home?


I remembered the three ‘ghosts’ in Maestro’s home. They were able to go everywhere, so why couldn’t this twisted one enter?


For the next week, my troubles did nothing but increase.


I was driven almost mad because more and more grotesque and gruesome ghosts gathered around my windows and banged. Some were headless. Some were bleeding from their mouth. Some were scarred and burnt. They made no noise, but I knew they were there. I knew they could see me. I couldn’t open the windows. There wasn’t a way to ignore them.


One day I was feeling that I would collapse. I couldn’t tell anyone. I didn’t want to be sent to a mental hospital – or worse, have my citizenship canceled and return home.


I didn’t have any food for a day. My vision felt cloudy.


I gathered myself in a ball and prayed. I prayed to God, I prayed to my mom, and I prayed for somebody, something to end this torment. My body was convulsing and tears ran down my face. I was starving.


Something tingled inside me. I didn’t know what it was. I just wanted someone to save me. I closed my eyes.


My body felt so hot.


I could feel something growing, a flame burning inside me. My heart was beating so fast that I couldn’t breathe.


Panting, I collapsed on the floor and felt the tingles wreck through my fingers, my Arms, my chest, abdomen and run through my legs. The feeling burned wherever it touched. It was as if I was set on fire.


I screamed in agonizing pain.


Am I having a heart attack? Am I going to die?


 No.


Amidst that confusion, somebody was speaking to me.


You’re not dying.


Somebody was inside my mind.


Not inside, but its telepathy, my child. Just trust in me. Will you trust me?


Yes! I cried. I was desperate. Save me, please. I’m gonna die.


Alright. The other being said. Submit your consciousness to me.


And at that moment, darkness enveloped me. I knew no more.

Chapter 3 by Aranya

When I woke up, I found myself sprawled across the floor. My body was aching all over. Grudgingly I placed a hand on my face. It hurt so much.

What happened?

 There was no reply. I let out a breath. I almost expected that… being to Answer. I painfully got up. Something inside me told me to open the windows. I hobbled toward it, and pulled the curtains opens.

I could only see the clear sky. Relief flooded through me.

They’re gone!

Inwardly, I thanked whoever it was who had pulled me through. It wasn’t normal on any accounts, but what was truly normal anymore?

The pain rapidly faded away. I went to the nearest café to get something to eat and called my mom.

“Aroni, why’d you not pick up my phone the last few days!?”

“Sorry, Ma. I was really busy with my work.” I lied. “I will give you a message if something like that ever happens next.”

“You better do so, young lady. So did this work of yours end successfully?”

“Yeah, I guess.” I replied, smiling slightly. I frowned when I felt a slight tingle on my hand. But there was no visible swelling or rashes to indicate the cause.

“Mom, is there some disease which causes tingling sensations?”

“…Are you trying to tell me you’re in love?”

“No!” I said. I knew that was the answer I was going to get. “I’m not talking about something like that! It’s like electricity is coursing through my veins… and it almost feels as if I’m on fire. I just don’t know if I’m going mad, mom.” 

My mother was silent for such a long time that I thought she had hung up. She finally said in a low voice,

“Aroni, did something happen?”

“Mom, I told you I’m not in-”

“When did the sensations begin? Do you have any idea what caused them?”

It was my turn to be silent. Why was mother so serious? What was she thinking? What did she know?

“Aroni, trust in me. You can tell me anything.”

This time, I really did. I told her everything from meeting the weird guy and then the ghosts appearing and finally what happened yesterday.

“My worst fear… came true.” Mom was saying.

“Mom? What’re you talking about?” I asked her, feeling scared.

“I can’t tell you now, Aroni. You need to go back to that place. My powers are only that of a human. You can’t waste any more time. Please. He will tell you everything.”

I was shocked hearing my mother say such a thing. How could it be possible? My old, simple mother believed me – and she was telling me to go back to that creepy manor?

 “You… you want me to go back to Someplace Else?”

“Yes. Right now.”

Her voice was so serious I couldn’t say no. I muttered a small okay and ended the call. I didn’t know what to do anymore. I looked at the direction of the mansion. I couldn’t see it, but my heart sped up. I couldn’t eat after that so I threw the leftovers away and paid the bill.

Half an hour later, I arrived at the mansion. I pushed away any fears I had and opened the gate. With brisk strides I arrived at the door. Surprisingly the door didn’t open today. It was locked.

I put a hand to knock. As I touched the door, a searing pain ripped through my fingertips and I withdrew my hand with a wince. The door opened.

I was too occupied to be surprised anymore and just entered inside. The doors instantly closed.

The hallway was vacant. I turned the torch of my phone and looked around. There wasn’t anyone to be seen.

“Maestro? William? Frederick? Clarisse?” I called out their names. But no Answer came. “Anyone there?”

I began heading to the second floor, thinking Maestro might be in the parlor. But as soon as I set foot, I felt a strange pull to the side. I almost lost balance and stumbled to the wall.

Not upstairs. Down you go.

That voice again! I was dragged to the stony wall in the parting of the staircase. I slammed into the rocky, cold surface. I’m not a ghost! I can’t pass through a wall!

There wasn’t any reply this time. I felt so frustrated. Maybe if I touched the wall enough, something would happen again. But luck only favored once. I knocked on the wall. It was solid, not hollow inside.

I need a rocket launcher to bust through the wall!  

I tried to calm myself down. I grasped the wall with both hands and placed my forehead against the cool surface. With my eyes closed, I focused on only one thing.

How would I get in?

I pictured myself pushing against the wall and it somehow moving away to expose a flight of steps to the basement. But the wall in reality didn’t budge. Oh, come on.

Concentrating harder, I tried to imagine the tingles running through my fingers to my whole body, burning with their movement. It wasn’t working. My breathing was ragged. I whispered,

“Please show me the way. I need to go.”

After a while, I could feel a vague tingling sensation at my feet. I begged it to travel upwards. I attempted to make it run through my legs. Slowly, the feeling got stronger. My body was heating up as I got shivers running up my back. My arms felt numb.

The cold wall was heating up against me. I could feel the prickles sting me like fire ants yet I did not move away.

Finally, there was a dull sound. I was thrown back as the bricks began to move.

Oh gosh! Is it working?

Yes, it was definitely working. Dust began to fly everywhere as the bricks slowly parted away to sides, revealing open space contradictory to what it felt when I knocked. I coughed.

 

Standing up, I peered inside. A flight of steps, leading to god knew where. It was so dark. I clutched my phone and started climbing down.  

This story archived at http://www.mjfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=7571