Brother to Brother by Illusion
Summary:

"I would like for you to give our brother, my twin brother, Brandon, a hug for me. 
I love you, Michael, and I miss you."
-Marlon Jackson, July 7, 2009

[broken image link]


Categories: Family Characters: None
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 6831 Read: 7632 Published: Jul 29, 2012 Updated: Sep 23, 2012
Story Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

 

This short story and the piZap photos in it are my property and only meant to be seen on mjfiction.com.  If you see my stories or my photos anywhere else besides mjfiction.com, please notify me immediately, for if it doesn't say that I have moved it to another site, then it has been stolen.  Thank you! 

1. Michael's Letter by Illusion

2. Goin' Back To Indiana by Illusion

3. You Must Know That by Illusion

4. Marlon's Second Gift by Illusion

5. UNITY by Illusion

Michael's Letter by Illusion

March 12, 1957

27-year-old Katherine Jackson had gone into labor with twins.  At the hospital, the nurses helped her into a delivery room, where doctors and nurses were prepping her.  She was told that she would be having two boys, and could not wait to be able to hold them and nourish them with all the love she had, as she did her other children.

 

She would name these beautiful babies Brandon and Marlon.

 

Once the babies had been born, they slapped their butts to make sure they were breathing properly.  But, to their dismay, one of them did not utter a sound.  They took that child to a different room, and tried their best to find a problem.

 

Katherine prayed that everything would be all right, that the one she would call Brandon will come out of the examination room fine.

 

But... Brandon was pronnounced dead at birth.

 

Katherine was so upset, and grieved heavily for Brandon.

 

She looked down at Marlon, and said to him softly, "Your brother's with Jesus now.  He's a beautiful angel."  She couldn't hold back tears.

 

Little was known about the cause, but the twins were confirmed, premature.

 

When she broke the news to everyone, they decided to have a little service for Brandon.  He was buried in a little casket in their home of Gary, Indiana.  With a little flower bouquet at his grave, little Brandon would never leave their hearts, no matter what.

 

Soon, another child was born into the Jackson family.  On August 29th, 1958, a year and a half after Marlon, came a little boy with big, brown eyes, and a beautiful smile.  Katherine would call this little boy, Michael.  Next came another brother, Randy, and then a sister called Janet.

 

Not a day passed that Katherine didn't think of Brandon... Not one.

 

 

March 12, 1987

Michael was sitting in a room, by himself, thinking of his brother, Marlon.

 

Today was Marlon's 30th birthday.

 

Michael had sent Marlon a gift, and was shy about handing it to him in person.  He never knew why he was so shy, but he felt that today, he needed to shut himself from the world for a while.  Usually, when Michael shut himself from the world around him, he would be in a songwriting phase, or depressed.

 

But something was pecking at him.  It was poking his brain like a woodpecker drilling into a tree.

 

Katherine had told Michael about Marlon's twin.  The first time he had heard of Marlon's twin brother was when Michael was very small, and Katherine had taken him to see his older brother's gravestone at a Gary, Indiana cemetary.  Even at such a youthful age, the thought of a family member already deceased brought a river of tears to a four-year-old Michael's eyes. 

 

That's when Michael decided he would write to his big brother, and deliver it to him.  He got out some paper and a pen, and sat on his bed.

 

Michael would let the letter write itself, like the songs he wrote so much of. 

 

Hi Brandon...

I don't know if there really is a place you go when you die, so if there is, I hope you can hear me writing this letter.  I don't know if you're all grown up now where you are, so maybe if you're still an infant, then maybe Jesus can read this to you before He puts you in an angel's cradle to rest soundly under the stars.  There is so much I want to tell you, it's almost like a need.  But, anyway, there are some things I feel like you should know... And some things I'd like to tell you about your family, and how we all are.

First of all, I should introduce myself.  What kind of little brother am I if I don't introduce myself to my older brother?  My name is Michael Joseph, and I was born after your brother, Marlon, was.  You have six older siblings: Rebbie, Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, LaToya, and your twin, Marlon.  I'm one of your younger siblings, alongside Randy and Janet.  That's a lot of people in our family, don't you think, Brandon?  Our mom's name is Katherine, and our Father's name is Joseph.  Now, our dad didn't like to be called Daddy, so he told us to call him by his name.  Imagine having to address him as Joseph your entire childhood.  Mother let us call her Mother, as any mother would. 

Our childhoods were spent crafting and perfecting our musical gifts.  Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon, and I formed a band the world knows as The Jackson Five.  We'd call ourselves J5 for short.  Joseph spent a lot of money buying us instruments and supplies.  Sometimes I think that you would've been a great addition to J5, but I wouldn't want you to have gone through rough rehearsals.  Rehearsal means practice, and with Joseph, practice meant perfect.  Usually, your twin brother, Marlon would get some beatings from Joseph for messing up sometimes, but Marlon has become more skilled now.  Between you and me, he ended up proving Joseph wrong in the long run.

Today's your birthday, Brandon!  Today, like Marlon, you turn thirty!  If you were still here, I'd throw you and Marlon a big party, to make up for all those parties and celebrations we missed out on as children.  I wonder if the others are still Jehovah Witnesses, like Mother.  See, I didn't want to be a Jehovah's Witness.  I gave it up a few years ago, and decided that God wanted me to be a performer, and entertain the world... So that's what I'm doing.  You'd be so proud of your siblings and I, you know.  And I know that you would've loved to be a part of J5 just as much as any of us.  Music is so much fun, but the strenuous work we had to go through to be such a fabulous group was a pain... But it was that exact pain that got us to where we all are now.

I would imagine you being Marlon's exact opposite, but that's just my opinion.  I don't know whether you were identical twins or not.  I don't think anyone knows besides the One up above.  Sometimes I think back to that day when Mother told me all about you, and what she thinks you would like and dislike.  I was only four years old when Mother showed me where you were buried.  I felt so sad that day, because I never knew I had an older brother that died when he was just a baby, you know.  But being only four, that hit me hard, like a big rock.  Mother had to carry me all the way home, and I fell asleep cradled in her arms.  She was humming my favorite lullaby, letting me rest my little nappy head on her shoulder. 

If, by chance, you're all grown up, I'd want to ask you some questions, like: are you okay where you are?, and what this place they call Heaven is like.  Are there angels there?  I've always been amazed by angels, and I like to think that you are an angel up above.  Do you ever look down on us?  Do you ever come and comfort us?  I don't want to ramble on longer, big brother... I know you probably wouldn't want me saying something like that, but I think I'll fnd all my answers out whem it's my time.

I can't wait to see you when God brings me back home.  It will be exciting for me to finally meet my older brother.  Wherever you are, I hope you have the best spiritual birthday any soul in Heaven has ever had!

I get a little upset when I think about you, but maybe I shouldn't, I don't know.  All I know is that I wish I would've gotten to know you, and I love you, even now, from the bottom of my heart, and everyone else, I'm sure, loves you too.

I think I've told you enough with words on a paper.  It's time I come and see you where you are.  Just wait for me, Brandon, please.

I love you, big brother.  <3

Your little brother,
Michael

 

And Michael was going to do just that.

 

He found a stuffed teddy bear that he thought Brandon would like, and tied the letter to it, like the bear was holding the letter in his paws, begging to deliver the message to Brandon.

 

He was going to get a plane to Gary, and deliver this special, heartfelt gift to his older brother.

End Notes:

This short story will be 4 chapters... Nothing big... Just simple, short, and sincere.

This story is inspired by one of my sucky (xD) anime sketches of Michael holding his big brother, Brandon in his arms.  Brandon died within 24 hours of birth, so I thought, "What would Michael have said to Brandon before he himself, passed on?"  I was going to make this a poem, but I think a short story would be more fitting. <3

Goin' Back To Indiana by Illusion

Michael knew if he was going to be making any trip across the country, he was going to get dressed first.  Right now, he was still in his white and blue striped pajamas.  Taking that off, he put on a pair of black slacks and a white long-sleeve polo.  Putting his hair in a little ponytail, he looked at himself in the mirror.  Looking into his brown eyes, he suddenly felt a chill.  Grabbing his right arm, he heaved a sigh, and got a little duffel bag to take some things in.  He was going to make this trip mean something.

 

Michael started to ponder about what his life would've been like if Brandon was here.  Would he have been the Michael of the Jackson Five?  Would he just sit back and watch as the rest of his brothers rehearsed?  Would there be as much sibling rivalry?  Some things Michael just did not know.. and he really wanted to know.  He really wanted to know.

 

He smiled sweetly, and when he was ready to go, he got someone to reserve a plane for him.  It was a visit that, hopefully, the paparazzi wouldn't get any part in.  But knowing who he was, he knew that anything could happen and he had to be prepared.  Slipping a pair of sunglasses on, he waited for his driver to take him to the airport.

 

Once boarded on a plane of his own, he looked out onto the sunny day that engulfed Hayvenhurst.  He was going to move out pretty soon, but he didn't know when. No one happened to be at home that day, and he knew that Katherine would understand when he came back.  There was so much weather across the country.  In some places, it was raining, some cloudy, and some even getting one more taste of winter snow before the quickly approaching Spring came and said hello to the western hemisphere.

 

Michael's started to think about Marlon, and how, besides being part of J5, isolated himself a little bit.  He would imagine how hard it must have been to know that your twin was no longer here.  It must've had a huge effect on him... It must have.  But Marlon always had a smile on his face, even now.  He was a strong man, determined and willing.  Michael told himself upon his return to California this evening, he would give Marlon another gift, and tell him about this trip.

 

For a little while, Michael fell asleep, but a storm disrupted his peaceful slumber.  The plane had been caught in a really bad storm, and was beginning to land. 

 

One of the plane staff had come in.  "The storm is horrible, Mr. Jackson.  At least we've reached the destination." a woman said, holding the border of the metal door.  She was an awfully shy young woman. 

 

"Thank you, Alysin."  Michael smiled to her quite sweetly.  "And please, call me Michael.  Mr. Jackson just sounds too formal for this setting."

 

Alysin nodded with a smile of embarrassment, and left the room.  Michael looked out the window to dark, grey clouds and pouring rain.  That's usually how Gary was.  It was one of the wettest places in Indiana. 

 

Once the plane landed, Michael put on a black raincoat, took his duffelbag, and boarded off the plane.  He made sure his entire face was covered, but he could still breathe.  He didn't want to be caught by anyone.  Walking around Gary, he found his family's beloved home: 2300 Jackson Street.  It was so small.  He let his hand run across the black metal fence that seperated 2300 Jackson Street from other homes.  Even in the rain, it had a little glow to it.  He started to remember being in that little house with all his brothers and sisters, and his parents.  He had good flashbacks, and some, he just wasn't too fond of.

 

He remembered where the cemetery was.  It was a few blocks away, within walking distance of 2300.  It was still pouring the rain, but Michael didn't mind it much at all.  He loved rain, but to make a visit to his older brother on his birthday... Michael told himself that maybe it was supposed to rain today.  He really had hoped it would be a sunny day in Gary today, but reminded himself that whatever goes, goes.

 

Even the sidewalks carried memories to Michael.  He could feel them from his feet, and they would visualize in his mind.  He had taken so many walks to and from school, and sometimes, just walking with his mother.  Before Randy was born, Michael and Katherine would walk together, so Katherine could get her mind off of drama with Joseph.  He was always curoius about the miracle of childbirth, and what pregnancy brought to his mother.

 

There it was.

 

The local cemetery was standing right before him.

 

Putting his hands to his face, he felt tears well up in his eyes.

 

"Man up, Mike." he told himself.  "He wouldn't want you to cry."

 

He was ready to deliver his gift to Brandon.  It might be raining, but that doesn't mean Michael couldn't pay his respects on his older brother's 30th birthday.

 

Walking into the stone-filled garden, he started to look for Brandon's marker.  He remembered it was in the shape of a square, and had the most marvelous writing engraved into it.  The family had placed flowers there, and sometimes, would give him another flower as time went by.

 

He fell to his knees...

 

Right at Brandon's gravestone.

 

Michael could not hold back his tears.  All these thoughts of his accumulated to much sadness. 

 

"Big Brother..."

You Must Know That by Illusion

All the flowers had died away, and so his stone was only one of words.

 

Grey, carved, and deep words.

 

BRANDON JACKSON
BELOVED SON, BROTHER
March 12, 1957 - March 12, 1957
"May you rest peacefully within God's embrace.  We love you, Brandon, our angel in Heaven."

 

Those words ran circles in Michael's head.  Each time he did, it came back and mentally punched him in the gut.  He never knew why this happened, but it did, and it really hurt.  Brandon's grave was under a big oak tree, so Michael put his gift down, and touched the cold piece of concrete.  

 

Next to it was a little statue of an angel that held a baby in it's arms.

 

"Happy birthday, Brandon."  Michael said, bowing his head.  Looking from the corner of his eye, the teddy bear was sitting with huge eyes, and a little smile on his face.  It was wearing it's own little raincoat and rainhat.  It's paws held a little laminated envelope, containing Michael's letter. "I hope you like it."

 

He sat down, crossing his legs, and started speaking.  The rain started picking up, but Michael didn't care.

 

"I hope you waited here, for me.  I really wanted to come here, personally, and bring this to you.  I mean, if I kept it myself, then wouldn't it be for me to just look at in your name?  Coming here just feels so right, Brandon.  It feels like the right thing to do, you know."  Michael began.  "How stupid of me... to start out like that.  To be honest, I really don't know what to say....  I mean, There's a lot I told you about in the letter, but I feel like there's more."

 

Michael got out a sunflower bouquet and put it down for Brandon.  He liked sunflowers, and knew Brandon would like that.  "I hope you like these sunflowers.  With the rain and all, you know, they're going to be really healthy.  It gives your little space a little light, you know."  Michael's eyes started welling up with tears again.  "I wonder sometimes what life would be like with you here, you know.  Mother, Father, and everyone else knows how special you are to the family.  If you can hear me, Brandon, I want you to know this... I really do love you... from the bottom of my heart.  You must know that... You must know that.  You may not be with us now, but that doesn't mean... I can't love you, ...right?  ...Right?"

 

Michael buried his face in his hands.  He never knew how much this visit was going to drain him, but he knew he had to do it. 

 

March 12, 1963

"Mommy, where are we?"  a four-year-old boy with big, brown eyes, asked.  He was walking with his mother into a cemetery, and they stopped at a marker underneath a big tree.

His mother sighed and looked down.  "It's time I told you this, Michael.  If I don't tell you now, you might never know."

Michael looked confused.  "Is that why I'm holding these flowers, Mommy?"

She nodded as Michael put the flowers on the ground.  "This is Marlon's twin, your older brother."  She pointed to a little stone with writing on it.  "His name is Brandon.  He, like Marlon, is turning six.  I thought it would be nice to give Brandon a gift.  Don't you think that's a nice thing to do, Michael?"

Michael looked into his mother's loving eyes.  "Yes, Mommy.  But... will he ever come back?  What if he doesn't like our presents?"

Katherine had a rather sad look on her face, upon Michael's question.  "Baby, he's in Heaven now."

"Heaven?"  Michael was still a little confused.  "Mommy, what's Heaven?"

She got down on her knees and took Michael's shouders gently.  "Heaven is a magical place, deep in the clouds, where angels are, where God and Jesus live."  She took a pause to breathe.  "Brandon is one of those angels.  You see, when someone's body is not working well, they just.. give up, and God takes them back home, where He can make them well again."

"Brandon... he's...?"  Michael then began to piece everything together.  Although he was a little too young to understand, he got the main picture.  "Mommy, did Brandon go to Heaven before I was born?"

Katherine had tears in her eyes.  "Yes, Michael.  Right after I had Marlon and Brandon, Brandon was still not ready to be a person, so God took him to Heaven a day after he was born."

Michael could not believe he had another older brother who died ony as a baby.  With Katherine making the summary of it as kid friendly as possible, Michael still got it.  He started to cry, and Katherine picked him up off the ground and cradled him in his arms.  "Shh, it's okay, Michael.  Brandon's happy and well now, and when we're all together in Heaven, we'll celebrate.  You see, Michael, we lose loved ones throughout our lives, but that's just what life throws at us.  It's like God giving us a test.  He wants to know if we can make through."

Michael rested his head on her shoulder.  "I already miss him, Mommy..."

"I know, Michael... I do, too... I do too."  Katherine started to sing Michael's favorite lullaby, You Are My Sunshine, and Michael fell asleep, safe in his mother's arms. 

 

"I remember the first time Mother ever told me about you.  I was only four, and it was your birthday.  I brought you a flower...grown from Mother's garden.  She loved her flowers a lot, Brandon.  You would've loved them too...  It was the prettiest garden in Gary!  Mother would sing to us all the time when we were little... Sometimes as she would plant new flowers or vegetables, or when we had bad dreams. 

 

"When I was little, after learning about you, I would imagine us playing tag, and even starting our own candy store.  I even had an imaginary friend, and I named him Brandon.  No one really knew of my imaginary friend, but he was everything you are: an angel... An angel that came to me when I was lonely, and comforted me when Joseph chastised me... I know you wouldn't want to go through those beatings..."

 

Michael smiled a little through his tears, being able to get a little bit out into the air. 

 

"Brandon, what would you have been when you grew up?  Would you have been a musician, like the rest of us, or maybe a soldier, or a caretaker...  I'm curious about what you might have been like, and what effect you'd have on the family. 

 

"Sometimes, I get really upset whenever you pop into my head, but I think, now, that I've come to talk to you myself, I can finally find closure.  I mean, I haven't been here since I was four... It was something I'll never forget...." 

 

Michael wiped a tear from his eye, as he looked up.  He saw that the storm had died, and the sun was peeking behind the clouds. 

 

"Look, Brandon!  The storm stopped, and the sun is coming out... The sun is very beautiful, don't you think?  Although I'm more for a full moon, I still like the sun, because it's the sun is what gives us moonlight.  Nature's a beautiful thing, Brandon, and I wish you were here to see it."

 

Michael gained the confidence to stand, and then kneel.  "Big brother, no matter what happens, I just want you to know how much..."  Michael started to cry again, tears falling onto his jacket.  "I... love... you... so much.  And I promise... I'll keep you in my heart..."

 

Michael stood back up and knew that it was time to go back home.  He had been with Brandon for quite a while, and it was almost evening.  He smiled, and said one more goodbye, and that he would be back to visit him soon.

 

Soon.

 

When Michael got back on the plane, he had felt so much better, now that he had talked to Brandon.  It felt like a little weight was being lifted off his shoulders. 

 

Michael would go back home with a smile on his face...

 

And he knew that his older brother was looking down on not only him, but the entire family.

 

"Again,"  Michael looked up to the sky through a window.  "Happy birthday, Brandon... and Marlon too."

 

Although Brandon would still be a sensitive subject for Michael, he felt much better about it...

 

Much better.

Marlon's Second Gift by Illusion
Author's Notes:

(23 September, 2012)
THE NEW CHAPTER FOUR (4)...
Because I felt like a piece of this story was missing... So I hope you enjoy it!! :)

Once stepping back on the plane, Michael had felt a lot better about going to see Brandon.  He felt like he had a bit of closure.  Most would have never expected Michael to go see Brandon that day, but only remember him, and celebrate in his short life.  The rain had returned, and thumped silently on the plane windows, instinctively making Michael blink in reaction.

 

But not even the rain could hurt him now.

 

The plane started to hum, signaling Michael that the plane was getting ready to lift off, and back to California.  He sat and thought on the day, and how thankful he was that God allowed him to visit his brother's resting place quietly. 

 

He dozed off along the way, letting all the weather pass him, unaware.  It was a sleep he definitely needed,  He had a dream that Brandon was an angel, and he was walking with Michael at Hayvenhurst.  It was a lovely dream for Michael to have.  Maybe it was his conscious's way of saying "That was very kind of you, to go visit him, Michael..."

 

Suddenly, he was jolted out of his dream, and saw that he was still on air.  He looked out the window, and dusk was entering the scene, coloring the skies in different dark shades of black and deep purple.  The stars were bursting out like rhinestones and the moon was slowly following, peeping our from the horizon.  Michael always arored how the sun set; he could see her beauty and not have to protect his eyes... Sunsets were always special for Michael, and so were moon rises... But what Michael liked best, was a beautiful sunrise.  But now that it was night, almost, there was one more thing he wanted to do this evening, before going back to Hayvenhurst.

 

 

Meanwhile, a head hit a pillow, and with a sigh, the now thirty-year-old brother wanted to rest for a while. 

 

Marlon Jackson did enjoy his birthday, but also thought the same as his little brother, Michael.

 

"I wonder what Brandon would have wanted today to be like."  he said to himself.  His girlfriend, and a couple of her girlfriends had gone out for a Girls Night, leaving Marlon home alone. 

 

He looked up to the ceiling, and sighed.  "Brandon, it's your brother, Marlon...  Do have a great birthday, brother, okay?  I hope you can hear me, because I have never forgotten about you... We've never forgotten about you.  Man, you would've loved Michael, our little brother... He would've thrown a big party for us, I know it!! ...I just wonder what he spent today doing... He never picked up his phone, or anything... Hmm."

 

With a flop on the bed, Marlon flipped on the television, and watched some primetime sitcoms.

 

Suddenly, the air surrounding Marlon became warm, as if he were being enfolded.  He felt someone was in the room, but alas, he was alone.

 

"Marlon..."

 

Marlon's eyes widened, as tears started to well up like overflowing dams.

 

"...Brandon?"

 

He heard a faint shrill of laughter.

 

Marlon wore a smile as happy as joy in it's purest state.  "I love you so much, Brandon... Thank you...!!"

 

His brother had come to comfort him, and made Marlon aware of his continuing presence in Marlon's life...  Marlon was in euphoria.

 

Brandon was still special to Marlon, even now.  besides, wouldn't your twin be special to you?  But what made Brandon more special, in Marlon's opinion, was that he was an angel... In Heaven above.

 

 

When the plane landed, Michael took in a huge sigh, and exhaling slowly, boarded off.  He walked into the estate on Hayvenhurst, put down his duffelbag, and raced to his car.

 

He was going to make a visit to someone special.

 

He watched as the night unfolded before him, telling God, and Brandon (if he was listening), how much he loved the night, but Michael was more caught up in a tune that he wrote some time ago.

 

"I want to be free, free like the wind blow,
To fly away, just like the sparrow,
The feel, of letting my hair blow,
Just take my time, wherever I go..."

 

He had hoped it would make his new album, which would be out in several months, but it had not, due to it being incomplete at the moment, so it was considered a demo, that he hoped he would be able to work on in the future; nurturing the song and making it sound as "free" as the song itself, entitled Free

 

He smiled, and said, "I'm going to dedicate this song to you one day, Brandon, and everyone in my family... Everyone deserves to be FREE."

 

Upon parking at his home, Michael noticed the one light on in the house that was the pinpoint he needed.  Michael giggled.  "Of course he'd be in his bedroom."

 

 

Marlon was not planning on going to sleep anytime soon.

 

Suddenly, he heard a knock on his door...

 

 

What if he rejects me?  Michael thought to himself.  He might be mad at me for not being around much today.. It was his birthday anyway...

 

The door opened rather quickly, and a tall figure stood before him.  "Michael!!"  Marlon cheered, excited to see his brother.  "How are you?"

 

Michael giggled, and answered, "I'm just fine, Marlon."

 

"So what brings you here?" 

 

Michael smiled, holding up a gift in his hand.  "May I come in?"

 

"Of course, Michael!  Come right on in!"  Marlon took Michael's hand and led him in.  At first, Michael was a bit hesitant, but quickly adapted to Marlon's laid-back household, and felt a bit more at ease.

 

"So how was your day?"  Michael asked.

 

Marlon looked at Michael calmly, and answered, "I kind of.. wanted to ask you the same..."

 

"Then we're probably on the same page here."  Michael laughed a little.  "Marlon, I just had to come talk to you... That's why I stopped by.  ...You think we can sit down?"

 

Marlon laughed heartily, and replied, "Of course!  Living room?"

 

Michael nodded, and sat slowly on the sofa  Handing Marlon the gift, he said softly, "I'd like you to have this, Marlon."

 

Marlon looked at the box, and before opening it, courteously thanked him.  In the box was a teddy bear with a note in it's arms.  But the thing was, the note couldn't be released from the grip.  The beat was a statue... A statue of gold and silver, and it was just like the bear Michael laid at Brandon's stone.

 

"Wow, Mike... it's.. wonderful."

 

"I chose to bring you another gift, because... because..."

 

Marlon knew instantly.  "Brandon, isn't it?"

 

Michael looked at Marlon in shock.  "How did you know?"

 

Marlon sighed, and said, "I wouldn't stop thinking about him."

 

"I'm sorry if I seemed negligent in what today was for you, Marlon, but I felt this urge... This... deepness in my mind saying to go see him.  It was right after I came to drop off your first gift."

 

Marlon was in shock as well.  "You went back to Gary..?"

 

Michael nodded.  "I wanted to wish both of you a happy birthday, you know..."


"That would be like you, to go and do that."  Marlon giggled.  "How was he doing?"

 

Michael sighed.  "I think he's doing all right, now... But I feel better now that I went to visit him."

 

"I must tell you, Michael,"  Marlon started.  "what happened a little while ago...  It was wonderful...  I think he came and found a way to wish me a happy birthday, after I wished him a happy birthday too."

 

Michael smiled, with tears in his eyes.  "That's wonderful, Marlon, that he would come to see you, and give you his best.  I wrote Brandon a letter, and gave it to him... I wanted him to have something on his thirtieth birthday, too..."

 

Marlon and Michael had suddenly met eyes, and they were both filled with tears.  They hugged each other and cried together.

 

"Michael... that seemed like a wonderful thing to do, brother."  Marlon said happily through his tears.  "But you didn't tell anyone."

 

"I didn't think I'd have time to, and I didn't want to worry anyone."

 

"Well, at least your back, and with a story to tell... We were wondering where you went off to... You've been going places lately and not telling anyone."

 

Marlon had a point.  Michael was notorious for that lately.

 

"I think Brandon's watching over us, Marlon."  Michael smiled.  "Don't you think so too?"

 

Marlon smiled and sniffled.  "I do..."

 

"I think that going to where he was... you know... I think it gave me some closure, since I was only so little when Mother told me about him.. There were so many questions I wanted to ask, so I kind of ust sat down with him, and let my mind do the talking."

 

"I think that was a wonderful thing for you to do, Michael.  Everyone would be proud of you!!"

 

Michael sighed, and putting Marlon's hand in his, said, "That is what I wanted to say... I wanted to tell you all about my trip."

 

Marlon smiled, and said, "I'm glad you told me.  In a way, we can relate to missing our brother, you know...?"

 

"Yeah..."

 

"I think we would've loved him, Mike, and I think he would've made a great member of J5, or whatever he wanted to do."

 

"That's what I told him!!"  Michael giggled. 

 

They talked and talked, until Marlon's girlfriend came home.  After a quick chat, Michael nodded, and felt that it was time to go home.

 

"God bless you, Marlon!!"  Michael said in a hushed voice.

 

"God bless you too, little brother."  Marlon said softly.  "God bless you too."

 

"Goodnight, Marlon!!"

 

"Goodnight, Michael!"

End Notes:

As the chapter note said... I just had to come back here and add another chapter to this... I kinda felt like something was missing from this story... So I thought I should tell you what happened after Michael left Indiana that day. :)

<3

"MY FATHER NEVER LIES." 
-Michael Jackson, Price Of Fame, Bad 25
(Honestly, I don't know how this applies to the story, but I thoguht I might tell you all what I learned when I listened to this song.. Apparently Michael's father never lies...  :O XD)

UNITY by Illusion

June 25, 2009

Michael had gone through so much in twenty-two years.

 

He was two weeks away from making fans in London very happy with a comeback tour he called This Is It.  He was very excited for it, and rehearsed hard and long to make sure this would be one of his best concerts.

 

He was lying in his bed thinking of all the things he could.  He thought of his children, his family.. He thought of the worst times of his life, like his trial in 2005, and the accusations in 1993.  He remembered all his songs, his friends, his fans.  But one thing stood out a little more.

 

He realized he had broken his promise to his older brother.

 


Michael gained the confidence to stand, and then kneel.  "Big brother, no matter what happens, I just want you to know how much..."  Michael started to cry again, tears falling onto his jacket.  "I... love... you... so much.  And I promise... I'll keep you in my heart..."

 Michael stood back up and knew that it was time to go back home.  He had been with Brandon for quite a while, and it was almost evening.  He smiled, and said one more goodbye, and that he would be back to visit him soon.

 

 

 

He had not been back to formally visit Brandon in twenty-two years.  Granted, he was able to make a trip to Gary, Indiana in 2003, but he was so crowded by paparazzi, he was not able to visit him like he wanted.  Sitting up slowly, a tear fell from his eye.

 

His daughter, Paris, walked into her room, and saw her father.  She was holding a teddy bear in her hand.  Cocking her head, she walked into the room.

 

"Daddy?"

 

Michael looked up and motioned for Paris to come up onto the bed.  He smiled.  "Hello, Paris.  How is my angel today?"

 

"I saw you crying, Daddy."  she hugged her father, and rubbed his back.  "What's wrong?"

 

Michael sighed, answering, "Nothing.  I was just thinking of a lot of things, you know... I want to be able to tell you everything one day."  He wrapped his arms around Paris and rocked her from side to side.  "Paris, will you promise me something?"

 

She smiled.  That smile made Michael melt inside.  Her smile was one of innocence, and Michael liked that a lot.  "Of course, Daddy!"

 

"Babygirl, if something happens to me, promise me you'll be strong."  Michael told her.

 

Paris's youthful smile turned into a frown.  "I promise, Daddy, but... Why promise something like that?"

 

"I want to tell you a story, that I think you should know before I leave."  Michael said.  "If I don't tell you now, you and your brothers might never know."

 

"I like stories!!"  Paris told him.

 

Michael giggled.  "I know you do."

 

"So what's the story about, Daddy?"

 

"I want to tell you about the time I went to see my older brother, your Uncle Marlon's--"  Michael started.  Then he felt the strangest thing in his chest.  His eyes widened. Putting his hand to his chest, caused Paris to go into a frantic state.

 

He was in so much pain.

 

So... Much... Pain.

 

It was a severe heart attack.

 

"Daddy...?"

 

"Paris..."  Michael whispered.  "I love you, babygirl..." 

 

"Daddy, don't leave!!"  Paris whispered, her eyes filled with tears as she held her father's hand. 

 

Michael fell back on the bed, his eyes and mouth wide open.

 

Paris started crying, and fell to her knees, right infront of her father's body.

 

"DADDY!!"

 

_________________________________________________________________

 

Michael found himself staring at his body, a frenzy of other people, and his distressed daughter.  As Paris was being led from Michael's bedroom, he followed her. 

 

He was of Spirit.

 

True, it took no time at all for the truth to hit him, but he was upset, because he wished Paris knew that he was with her.

 

Her room was beautiful and spacious.  She would perform for her father in her room, putting on little skits.  She sat on her bed, and could not believe that her father had left her.

 

He walked over to her, where she was sitting, curled up in a ball.  He hugged her and kissed her forehead.  Softly, he sang one of his well-known songs to her, in hopes she would hear it.


"You are not alone, for I am here with you... Though you're far away, I am here to stay... You are not alone, for I am here with you... Though we're far apart, you're always in my heart... You Are Not Alone..."

 

Paris's eyes closed and she fell over, her breathing returning to a steady pace. 

 

"I'm still with you, Paris, sweetie... I'll always be with you..."  Michael said, as he stroked Paris's head, moving long strands of hair from her face.  "And I love you very much."

 

"Michael..."

 

Michael looked back, and was being led to a beautiful place by an angel.

 

"Who are you?" he asked the angel.

 

"I am your guardian angel.  I bring you here to heal your soul.  Here, you will learn to let go of your burdens."

 

Michael became confused. 

 

"He told me you might be confused upon your arrival."  the angel smiled and giggled.

 

"He?"  Michael asked.

 

"Someone has been waiting for you, Michael." the angel explained. 

 

A bright light appeared in front of Michael, and another angel came through.  he was full-grown, and just... angelic.  A pure angel, in Michael's eyes.

 

Michael could not believe himself.  This angel...

 

"Little Brother..."  the other angel smiled.  He had big wings and the biggest smile on his face.

 

Michael smiled.

 

"Michael," the angel said sweetly.  "This is your older brother, Brandon.  He will help you get aquainted."

 

Michael had tears in his eyes.  "Oh my God... Brandon."  Michael rushed over and Brandon took Michael into his embrace.

 

"I have missed you, Little Brother."  Brandon said.  "I do appreciate the letter and the little bear.  I was with you as you wrote me that letter twenty-two years ago.  It brought tears to my eyes, just to know you were going out of your way to do that... Out of kindness.  I was watching you and the family everyday.  I was there, Michael.  I saw you, and you were not well.  Your body was going to fail itself, so God brought you where you really belong.  You have left the world a better place than when you came into it.  You have changed people, and I'm proud of you for that.  God is very proud, and especially me.  I could not have asked for a better family, Michael."

 

Michael was in tears, but a smile formed within those tears.

 

This was his older brother... The one who died at birth...

 

And he looked a lot like Marlon.

 

'Maybe they were identical twins.'  Michael thought.

 

This was Brandon, and Michael was finally able to meet him.

 

They were ONE.

 

"Brandon..."  Michael studdered.  "I am glad...

 

"And I love you..."

 

Brandon smiled.  "I love you too, Michael.  Come now... I must prepare you for healing."

 

Michael walked with Brandon as they made their way to the healing chamber.

 

This was something Michael had waited a long time for, and finally got the chance to meet Brandon...

 

BROTHER TO BROTHER.

 

.....THE END.....

End Notes:

THE BOY IN THE TREE
The boy in the tree like me is there
so the world can see and know me.
As a breeze goes by,
I see with my eyes,
the beautiful butterfly.
The peace and sounds of the birds
make my burden seem at rest,
and my prayers to God,
make them go away today,
for a song is born,
and created by my soul,
so others may enjoy its play.
For a dance move to come to be,
I'm still the boy in the tree.
Just call me Michael... aka Peter Pan.
This is for all of thee.

-Michael Joe Jackson

(from the book: I Can See Clearly Now: Messages From Michael by Lary Glen Anderson, Tony Stubbs)

photo above made by ME with piZap Photo Editor! (:

This story archived at http://www.mjfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2442