Awaiting the Dream by MichaelJacksonLoverForever
Summary:

Robyn is an average woman with big dreams. Her dream is to make it big and be able to sing alongside her idol Whitney Houston. However, despite what everyone tells her, she feels she has an awful voice, one not worthy of hollywood. Can one man change all of that? Will Michael Jackson be able to tell her otherwise, will he be able to break her out of her shell? What will come out of these two meeting? Read and see! :)


Categories: Dangerous: 1991-1993, Romance Characters: Michael, Original Girl
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 7457 Read: 5724 Published: Feb 21, 2012 Updated: Oct 20, 2012
Story Notes:

This is like my tribute to both Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson. :) I hope you like it! :D

1. Dancing, Flashbacks And An Unexpected Meeting... by MichaelJacksonLoverForever

2. An Interesting Dance...A look of... by MichaelJacksonLoverForever

3. Our Special Guest by MichaelJacksonLoverForever

4. Cherish and the Café by MichaelJacksonLoverForever

Dancing, Flashbacks And An Unexpected Meeting... by MichaelJacksonLoverForever
Author's Notes:

We had been going all day today and my legs were starting to kill me!  I could swear she was trying to kill me today! Elena Scott….my best friend who apparently could never tire out when it came to dancing. I was used to dancing for long periods of time with her; Elena liked to get a full length work out. Dancing was her passion; it had always been since elementary school. It was the whole reason we knew each other! Every other day at 5 we went to dance classes at Jamie’s Dance Studio. Jamie….my heart ached at the thought of her. She had taught us so well when we were younger. Our parents had been wonderful friends with her. I remembered the day we heard the news about her. It was six years ago now when she lost her battle with cancer. The funeral was so emotional; I remembered each visit we had together. I could see her getting worse and worse as her condition progressed. Elena and I had been at school when we’d gotten the news.

---

Flashback to 1986

“Elena! You are so crazy!” I told her, laughing at one of her recent dating stories.

“No joke Robyn! He was THAT awful!! I couldn’t believe it!” She said, giggling up a storm.

I shook my head at her with a small smile. It felt wrong to be happy today, like something bad was going to happen. I’d been feeling so strange all morning. My mind ran crazy with possibilities.

“…Robyn? Hello…Earth to Robyn” Elena’s voice pulled me from my thoughts.

“Huh?” I asked, confused. I could hear her giggling up a storm at my obvious distraction. We were sitting in our dorm room, just talking and being silly as we often did.

“I asked if you wanted to hear what his collection was!” She said, shaking her head, still giggling.

“Oh, um sure” I said, still a little distant.

“Girl! What is WITH you today!?” She asked me

“I….it’s nothing.” I said

“Bullshit Robyn. What’s wrong?” She asked with a raised eyebrow, crossing her arms. One thing with Elena was you couldn’t lie to her. No matter how much you tried, she always saw right through you. She had her ways of knowing, especially when it came to me. She could read me like a damn book!

“I-it’s just…” I stuttered over my words and then sighed. “It’s just….I have this really weird feeling. Like something bad is gonna happen, I just don’t know why” I said

“Oh. Hmm….well ma~” She never finished her sentence. We both jumped at the shrilling ring of the phone in the room. I blinked at it. Who was calling us? Elena picked it up after a second.

“Hello?” She said. I listened as she talked. Her facial features changed drastically as whoever on the phone spoke. “Oh. I see. Yes, we’ll be right there. Uh huh, thank you.” She hung up and I could see the pain in her eyes. “Robyn….”

My mind instantly jumped to the worst. Was it about Jamie? She hadn’t looked good this weekend and I’d been very concerned the whole week. “What happened?” I asked quietly

“Jamie’s gone.” She spoke softly, we looked at each other and broke into sobs, hugging each other as we let out our emotions. I couldn’t believe Jamie was gone….

End Flashback

---

            I’d never forget that day. It was one of the worst days I could imagine. It really showed you how precious life is, it made me wonder how people could take it for granted. I always hate when someone will sit there and tell you how awful their life is and how they just wished they could end it. That kind of talk just makes me shake my head and think of people who have it far worse.

“Alright, I think we’re good for today!”Elena exclaimed suddenly. She flicked off the stereo and wiped her forehead with the back of her hand.

“Finally!” I exclaimed, going over to grab my towel, patting my head. Boy was I hot! As soon as I got home I was taking a shower, no doubt about that. From the corner of my eye, I could see Elena shaking her head at me. “What!?” I asked, feeling defensive.

“Did a little work ever kill you Robyn?” She asked, raising an eyebrow.

I frowned deeply at her. “We’ve been going for like FOUR hours, Elena! I was exhausted! I’m sorry.” I said

She just rolled her eyes at me, laughing at my defensiveness. I rolled my eyes at her and we both smiled at each other.

“So, got lunch plans?” I asked her

“Nope! What did you have in mind?” She asked with a grin

“Wanna go to our usual café?” I asked

“Luna’s?” She asked

“That’s the one!” I exclaimed

“Definitely!”

“Great!” I patted myself a bit more before slinging my duffle bag over my shoulder “Ready when you are!”

“Let’s go!” She said, dragging me outside, she locked the studio and then we got in my car to head to the café.  Luna’s had been our café of choice for the longest time. Stella, the café owner loved us and she was the sweetest thing! She sometimes gives us a complementary dessert. She says it’s to “fatten us up, so we’re not skin and bone”. Elena and I always rolled our eyes at that.

It wasn’t long before we arrived at Luna’s. I smiled at the familiar décor as we walked in. I saw Stella talking to one of her employees and waved. “Hi Stella!” I exclaimed.

Stella looked up at me and smiled widely. “Hola chicas! How are you?!” She asked in a heavy Spanish accent. Her face was warm and her eyes shined brightly. She brushed a dark lock of her short hair behind her ear.

“We’re wonderful!” I said with a smile. “How about you?”

“I’m great. I’m glad you two are wonderful. It’s been a bit since you were here last.” She said

“Yes I know, we’ve been busy lately. I’m sorry.” I said apologetically.

“Oh it’s fine, hun!” She smiled “You’re looking radiant today Elena!”

“Gracias, Stella” Elena said with a smile

“De nada!” She exclaimed, leading us to a table, “I’ll be over in a bit”

I smiled at Elena. “I’ve missed this place. We have to make sure to come by here tomorrow” I said

“Yes we do! I’ve missed it here too, especially Stella!” She said happily

I laughed, I had missed Stella too. Every time I was around her she made things better. There was something about her that when in her presence you just felt so calm and happy. She was always quite positive, whenever I was down I used to stop by and talk to her. She was like my second mother.

---

We spent a decent amount of time at Luna’s. It was nice to catch up with Stella. When I came in I’d done exactly what I’d planned to do, showered and then settled down to relax, playing one of my favorite Whitney Houston CDs. I loved her so much. Whitney was everything to me, I looked up to her in so many ways. She was so talented, every time she sang it left me breathless. I wished more than anything I could sing like her. It’d be nice to be able to become a professional singer and one day sing with her.

Though I dreamed big, I knew, realistically, that would never happen, god had not blessed me in the music department. Though I was saddened by that, I knew I couldn’t complain too much. After all, I had dancing and I enjoyed bringing a smile on the faces of the children Elena and I taught. They were everything to me.  I laid back on my couch and sung along to the music before I heard my phone ringing. I groaned and wondered who was calling me. I forced myself up and answered. “Hello?”

“Hey angel”

I grinned when I heard who it was. “Keith!? Hey!” I said excitedly

Keith Johnston was my best guy friend and even though I’d only known him since high school we still became close.

“The one and only!” He said, chuckling on his end “How’ve you been, Robbie-bird”

I shook my head and smiled “I’ve been great! Although Elena’s been working me to the bone! I feel like my legs are gonna fall off!” I said dramatically.

He laughed in response. “You are overly dramatic, Robbie, do you know that?” He said, I could almost see the amusement in his green eyes through the phone.

“And your point?” I asked with a grin.

He laughed more at that. “Never mind” He said still clearly amused.

I laughed. “You haven’t called me in forever! What’s up with that!?” I said with a playful frown.

“I’ve been busy, Robbie.” He said “I’m sorry.”

“It’s ok. I know it gets like that at times.”

“Yeah, unfortunately….” He said with a sigh

I sighed as well. Keith had always been a big brother for me. We’d met at the very beginning of high school and just stuck together like glue. People used to make bets with each other that’d we’d end up going out. I always snorted at the idea. As popular as Keith was with the ladies and as good looking as he was, I’d never seen him in that light, no matter how many people swore we would end up dating it never really happened.

---

I’d spent a decent amount of time talking to Keith the other night. We had so much to catch up on. He told me that one of his more recent comic books was being released shortly. I was really excited to know that. I loved Keith’s comic books, the way he drew his characters was outstanding and the scenery was phenomenal. I praised him all the time and he always took it into stride. Another thing I loved about him, he was never pig-headed when it came to his work.

Currently, I found myself alone in the studio, lost in the music as I danced. I did this often, it was refreshing at times. I liked being able to go at my own pace and just do what I liked. I was dancing to one of my favorite Michael Jackson songs. His songs always controlled me when I listened to him, I could almost never stay still. It was strange, when I danced, I tuned the world out. That was probably why I didn’t notice someone watching me. Someone I never once expected to see here. After my dance I met their gaze and my own eyes widened when I realized who it was.

“That was amazing! The way you move is like nothing I’ve ever seen before!” They said, I just stood there, completely speechless.

 

End Notes:

This is Jamie's memorial program.

An Interesting Dance...A look of... by MichaelJacksonLoverForever
Author's Notes:

Hey guys! So yes, yes, this is chapter two. :D I'm enjoying writing this! I hope you're enjoying reading it! Hehe, feel free to let me know. ;)

 

I didn’t really know what to think. Was he seriously here in Elena’s dance studio? “Um….thanks” I said with a small smile.

“Oh you’re welcome! I was just passing by when I saw you dancing in here. I was curious, I know that there’s a few children’s classes and I had thought about maybe stopping in on one. I love seeing what fresh talent there is.” Michael said with a grin

“Heh, yeah.” I said, he was so beautiful in person, far more beautiful then on TV or on the cover of a magazine. “This is our little studio…well Elena’s I just work here. It’s not much but…” I shrugged with a small smile.

“It’s nice.” He said happily. “How long have you been dancing for?” He asked

“Oh um…a LONG time now really.” I said shaking my head “Since I was about seven, I’d say.” I told him

He smiled at that and looked around the studio. I couldn’t believe I was about to tell him my next offer but something inside me screamed to do so. “Do you….wanna dance?” I asked a lot more calm on the outside then how I really felt on the inside.

I watched his lips stretch into a huge grin as he nodded “That’ll be fun. You pick the song” He said

“Oh hmm, alright” I said with a smile. Had he actually said yes!? I flicked through the CDs, trying to pick a good song to dance to. I looked until I saw Whitney’s newest album. I smiled and played the CD, putting on “I’m Every Woman”, it had a great dance beat and had quickly become one of my favorites. Whitney’s soft oohs instantly started and then her vocals.

Whatever you want
Whatever you need
Anything you want done baby
I´ll do it naturally
Cause I´m every woman
It´s all in me
It´s all in me

I walked over to Michael and waited for the beat to pick up. I saw him smile, I assumed he liked this song too. It wasn’t long before the beat picked up and when it did, both mine and Michael’s feet moved on their own, they were in control now.

I´m every woman
It´s all in me
Anything you want done baby
I do it naturally

I´m every woman It´s all in me
I can read your thoughts right now
Every one from A to Z

We continued moving, our bodies in sync with the music. It was amazing! It felt so good to move like this with him. We may not have had a set routine for the song but we made it up as we went and before long I found myself singing along to the song as we moved, I hadn’t even realized I was singing it.

                It wasn’t long before the song ended, I grinned hugely when it ended, a hand over my heart as I waited to catch my breath. Once I had I flicked the CD player off and turned to face Michael, who was looking at me with… was that awe in his eyes? I blushed profusely at the thought. There was no way that was what the look was, I think I was hallucinating.  “W-what?” I asked, feeling a little self-conscious.

He shook his head.  “Um, nothing, sorry…it’s just….you’re a wonderful singer” He said with a sheepish smile.

I felt the blush deepen. “Oh…u-um thank you but I mean….I don’t sing that well….you’re just being nice” I said, biting my lip.

He shook his head again. “No, no, I mean it. I wouldn’t just tell you something like that.” He said with a small smile.

I just smiled. Michael Jackson had just complemented me on my voice and dancing, I didn’t know how to feel. He was my second idol so to hear such words from him made me feel extremely happy.

“Oh,” I heard him say after a moment, he seemed to be embarrassed. “I…don’t recall ever asking your name. I’m sorry. I’m Michael” He said, holding his hand up, though I’m sure he knew his name wasn’t much of a mystery to me. I appreciated his wonderful manners though.

I smiled and took his hand shaking it “I’m Robyn” I said “Pleasure to meet you, Michael”

“Pleasure to meet you as well, Robyn” He said, dropping his hand after a moment.

I smiled and then sighed, checking the time. “It’s getting pretty late. I guess that’s all for tonight. Let me give you the schedule for our children classes.”

He nodded “Thank you” He said

“No problem. The kids will love to have you” I said with a smile. He returned the smile and I quickly grabbed one of the schedule and handed it to him.

I saw him look it over and then smile. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Robyn” He said

I smiled “Yup. Thank you for the dance” I said

“Of course” He said with a smile and then exited the studio. I stood there stunned and then grinned, quickly cleaning up a bit and locking down for the night, heading home.

 I couldn’t stop thinking about the meeting I’d just had for the rest of the night. It made me very excited for tomorrow; I decided not to tell Elena. She’d find out on her own and I knew her reaction would be priceless. I laughed at the thought and then quickly got changed and climbed into bed, falling asleep quickly, my last thought being that look of awe in Michael’s eyes.

End Notes:

So I know this was a short one but....we're just getting started! There's far more to come still. :)

Our Special Guest by MichaelJacksonLoverForever
Author's Notes:

Hope you all are enjoying this! :D

 As soon as the sun streamed through the window near my bed it awoke me. It wasn’t the most pleasant awakening but at this point I didn’t care. I got up and got ready quickly. I wondered what time Michael would arrive at the studio, I hoped it wasn’t before I got there; I wanted to see Elena’s reaction! As soon as I was ready, I raced out the door and got in my car, heading to the dance studio I loved so much. There didn’t seem to be any commotion so I figured our secret guest of honor hadn’t arrived yet.


I giggled at my little secret as I walked in to the studio. Elena noticed and raised an eyebrow at me. I just smiled back at her and shook my head. “None of the kids showed up yet, I see” I said once I was close enough.


“Nah, not yet. It’s still a bit early” Elena said with a smile.


“Right” I said laughing. I hadn’t realized how early it was.


She shook her head “Oh Robyn, sometimes I wonder how you can be so spacey!” She grinned brightly


“Hey now! Who are you calling spacey?!” I asked with a playful huff.


“You, haven’t you any concept of time, goofball?” She asked


I frowned in a playful manner. “Sometimes” I said, doing my best to keep a straight face.


Elena laughed harder at that. “I’m not so sure there Robyn…”


“Oh hush!” I said, cracking up laughing right along with her.


We were both far too lost in our laughter to notice anyone walking in. This girl really knew how to make it impossible for me to stop laughing!


“Hope I’m not interrupting…” A soft voice said, a smile was clearly pasted on their face.


Elena’s laughter died off quickly and her eyes widened at just who had said that. “O-oh um, n-no of course not…” She stammered out. I don’t think she could breathe at the current moment.


“Oh good, I was worried for a moment there” He said, those lovely eyes of his were sparkling with clear amusement.


As for me… well… I kinda bursted into a whole new fit of giggles. She was killing me today! I had known her reaction would be good but this, this was priceless.


Elena whirled around to face me. “Robyn!” She  scolded me quietly “What are you laughing about! Don’t you know who that is!?” I just looked at her and nodded, still laughing. She looked back at Michael, a horrified expression on her face. Though, it wasn’t necessary because he was laughing as well. Elena seemed floored by us and her eyes stayed glued on Michael.


I think her thoughts this entire time were “Is that really Michael Jackson?” As funny as this was, I didn’t quite understand everyone’s star-struckness around him. He was just an average person with unique talent. What always gets me, is that when people go to talent shows and do the same thing, no one looks at them any differently after their performance is over. So what was the difference when it came to celebrities?


Now, I know what you’re thinking. Didn’t I have somewhat of similar reaction to Michael’s presence as Elena just last night? Well yes, but it wasn’t because he was Michael Jackson, it was more because I looked up to him, I appreciated him. After all, the man was my second idol. But that wasn’t just because of his impressive dancing or unique voice (Though that was part of it, I really wished I had half the talent he did) it was more because of his personality. The fact that he cared for more than just himself. The fact that he did all he could to give and help people. He never asked for anything back either. I loved that about him. It made me want to be like him. It made me stare in awe when he gave a speech or talked about a very realistic problem.


That was really what made me react like that to him when I first met him. Well, that and the fact that he was here in our tiny studio when he could go to any other one. I wasn’t exactly sure what appealed to him where our studio was concerned. I was more than certain that many other studios had children dance classes. Not that I was complaining or anything, it just confused me to say the least.


Elena cleared her throat and gained her composure “Um, hello Mr. Jackson. How may I help you?” She asked


Michael laughed at that “Please, just call me Michael.” He said with that amazing smile of his “And I was just wondering if I could maybe sit in on your children classes for a bit. I’d love to watch what they’re capable of”


“Oh. Hmm, I suppose that would be fine Mr-Michael.” Elena said with a smile


“Wonderful!” Michael said overjoyed and clapping his hands “I’ll be so quiet you won’t even know I’m here” He said with a wink.


He was rather charming without even trying.


“Alright.” Elena responded with a smile. I watched as he walked over and sat in a more shadowed area of the studio.


I shook my head and looked at Elena.  “Ready to warm up?” I asked


She nodded in response and fiddled with the CDs for a bit before finding our warm up disc, she popped that in and we started working through our daily stretches and warm up routine. This was going to be a lot of fun, I could tell.


-----


The kids all settled in about half an hour later. None of them thought to look over to where Michael was sitting which I found to be amusing. I just hoped he would like what we’d done with them thus far.


Once everyone was situated we went through their stretches and warm up routine and then we broke into what we’d been working on with them. They were all progressing well, from what I could tell. There were some finer points that Elena and I corrected them on but above all it was going well.


About half way through I began to wonder what Michael thought. He hadn’t lied he really was being extremely quiet and for a short amount of time, I did manage to kind of forget he was there. Now I was wondering if he really was. It wasn’t like I could really look around for him, I was focused on what was going on with the routine but I did wonder.


Elena soon called for the kids to take a break. “I have someone very special for you all to meet” She said with a warm smile. I smiled right along with her and the chatter from the kids grew. They were all wondering who the special person was.


Michael smiled and stepped out from the shadow-y area of the studio and I heard all the children gasp rather loudly.


“Kids… this is Michael Jackson. He wanted to sit in on our class today to see how well you all are doing” She said with a grin.


All the kids started talking at once; I could barely make out what any of them were saying. Some were asking question, others were just talking (Or shouting) at him. Michael just laughed at this, he wasn’t annoyed one bit. I blinked and smiled at the realization.


Elena laughed as well. “Alright, alright everyone. One at a time or Michael will never understand you.” She said. I could hear the high amusement in her tone.


The chatter died down at that and all of them looked at each other, wondering who was addressing him first. One of the smaller ones of the group bit her lip. She was a sunny blond girl with neatly straight hair and big blue eyes. The freckles on her cheeks were sprinkled neatly over them. Her name was Amy.


“Michael…. Did you like our routine?” Amy asked in a soft, shy tone.


“Yes I did. I think you all did a wonderful job” Michael replied with a warm smile.


Amy smiled brightly and threw her arms around him in a hug. It was such a cute scene. I watched as Michael smiled and hugged her back. I was tempted to take a picture of them but refrained from doing so. Once they broke their sweet embrace, Amy adjusted his fedora and grinned.


He laughed at the action. “Thank you sweetie. What’s your name?” He asked


“Amy” She said


“I like that name” He said with another warm smile. She giggled in response as another child approached him. His name was Kevin. He was a quiet, brown-haired boy with the brightest brown eyes to match. He was also quite talented when it came to dancing. They all were to be honest.


Kevin asked a series of questions, all of which Michael answered. I shook my head, he went through this so often with people, it was unbelievable. He ruffled Kevin’s hair and then chatted with all the kids. He appeared to be having a good time too.


It wasn’t long after that, that class resumed. Michael stayed for the entire time. I was surprised he wasn’t doing anything; I’d imagined him much busier than this. Once the studio cleared out I walked over to him.


“What no extravagant event to attend today?” I asked with a grin.


“Nope. Not today! I actually get time to relax right now.” Michael said laughing “Why? Did you want me to leave?”


“No, I’m not gonna rush you out.” I said laughing.


“Well I’m glad; I like the calm feel here.”


I couldn’t help but scoff at that “Calm? Did you not see the chaos that was just here moments ago!? Mr. Jackson, I’m afraid you need your eyes checked.”


Michael laughed at that “That was far less chaotic then what I’ve gone through!” His laughter was slowly getting louder and higher. I found it cute.


“I can believe that.” I said with slightly wider eyes. My reaction sent Michael into a whole new fit of laughter. He started clutching his stomach from all the laughter.


I smiled and looked down, letting him calm and catch his breath.  I went to say something else when a young girl, about 10, walked in. Her name was Cherish.  I had been helping her a lot recently with our routine. She’d been struggling but I saw so much potential in her.


Cherish was small for her age. She had dark red hair with the most unique hazel eyes. She was wise for her years and she always seemed to have a lot on her mind. I wondered what was going on.


“Hello, sweetie” I said with a warm smile


“H- Michael?” Cherish blinked when she saw him. I was confused, they knew each other?


“Cherish?” He blinked, seeming equally surprised. I felt so lost between them.


“I never thought I’d see you again.” She said, darting over “How’ve you been?”


“I’ve been well, busy, but well. How are you and your family”


At this, the young girl paused. “We’re…. ok” She said quietly.


“Is everything alright?” Michael asked, sincerely concerned.


“Yes. Everything’s fine” She said quickly, turning to me “We are doing a lesson today, right Robyn?”


I blinked “Um, yes.” I peered over at Michael, hoping for an answer.


His eyes were trained on the girl and they showed clear worry. I blinked again and started with Cherish’s lesson. I pushed my curiosity about the situation to the back of my mind for now.


Michael watched just as he had before. He truly loved watching fresh talent. Not that I minded all that much. Working with Cherish was always a little hard. Whatever was on her mind had her very distracted at times. I managed to stay patient though. What good would it do to get frustrated over this?


Cherish was a fast learner though. She was quick to pick up all the moves and she was quick to fix her mistakes. I could tell she was a natural born dancer. Once we finished with Cherish’s lesson, she talked to Michael and caught up. It was an interesting sight. They talked as any old friends would. Cherish connected on levels with Michael that I never would’ve expected for her age. Watching the way Michael was with the children was an amazing sight. I loved how sweet he was with them and how listened to every one of them with sincere interest. I smiled as I watched the two of them talk. It was perfect.

End Notes:

I apologize for the long wait. I've been quite busy. I will try and update more frequently.

Cherish and the Café by MichaelJacksonLoverForever
Author's Notes:

I know it's been forever and I'm sorry!! I hope you're all still with me!!

Michael and Robyn :D

Michael seemed to be a permanent fixture in Elena’s studio. Ever since he’d found out Cherish took dance lessons here, he popped in whenever he could. We were getting to know him really well and even Elena had finally gotten over her star-struckness. Which surprised me greatly. Elena was ALL ABOUT celebrities. She followed them whenever she could in magazines, on TV, on the internet. Wherever. She had a gazillion subscriptions to those celebrity magazines and she always had one on her wherever she went.

Me on the other hand, I liked to avoid reading the nonsense printed by the press. Most of it was lies and I’d learned long ago to not trust everything I read. Elena didn’t think magazines lied but she didn’t like tabloids. She knew tabloids such as The National Enquirer were fake. I tried multiple times to convince her otherwise, I hadn’t been successful yet. I hated it. She used to drive me nuts with those magazines back in college. I’d be sitting in our dorm room, working on a paper for one of my classes and she’d SQUEAL and be like “Robyn! Robyn! ROBYN! OH MY GOSH! Come here!!” I’d sigh and tell her I had work but she’d keep asking until I came over. When I did, she’d talk my ear off about some celebrity couple who’s gotten back together or maybe a famous actress who was pregnant. It was ridiculous.

I don’t think Michael knew much about Elena’s celebrity magazine obsession. Although, I didn’t think he wanted to know too much about it. He was another target by the media. Elena had been floored when she saw him and then she remembered some of the stuff she’d read about him and eyed him up and not in the good way. I didn’t know what she believed anymore. I felt bad for Michael, I’d heard some of the stuff said about him and couldn’t help but feel sympathetic. Poor man.

“Cherish, Cherish...  you need to loosen up more, you’re too stiff. You can’t be that stiff when you dance.” I corrected softly. Cherish had been struggling more and more recently. I couldn’t help but wonder why. I hoped everything was okay.

“I’m trying Robyn, really. This is hard.” Cherish said, her thin, dark eyebrows knitted together in frustration.

“I know, I know. I’m just trying to make you see that if you loosen up a bit more, it’ll be easier. This isn’t a hard dance, trust me.” I told her

She sighed in frustration. “I give UP!” She screamed after a moment.

I jumped at her outburst, startled by it. I blinked at her and from the corner of my eye, I could see Michael biting his lip. What was that all about?

“I can’t do it okay. I’ve had it. I quit. I hate this!” She said, dashing out the door.

“Cherish, wait!!” I called, before seeing Michael sprint by me. I knew he was concerned for the girl. He was friends with the family, why wouldn’t he be concerned?

I stayed where I was, blinking in shock. Had I been too hard on the poor girl? I chewed on my bottom lip, feeling like crap.

Elena came over and put a hand on my shoulder. “Hey, you didn’t do anything wrong, girl. She’s just frustrated, that’s all. Sometimes kids snap like that when they get frustrated.” She said softly

“Yeah... I guess...” I told her half-heartedly.

She sighed. “Why don’t we go look for her, hmm?” Elena suggested

I nodded and headed out in the direction Michael sprinted off in. I hoped she was okay. I didn’t mean to frustrate her, I really was only doing what I could to help her.

Once we were outside, we looked around for the two of them and couldn’t find them. “Hmm...” I said as I looked around, “Where...?”

“I don’t know...” Elena said, seeming lost.

They couldn’t have gotten away that fast... could they? Was Michael’s car here already? Had Cherish’s mother been waiting out here already? I had no clue. I walked around the studio and stopped off to the side, hearing voices close by. Why were they back here?

“It’s just not fair, Michael!” Cherish wailed, her voice muffled by what I guessed was Michael’s shirt.

“I know, sweetie.” He told her soothingly “I agree with you and I’ll do what I can to help, okay?”

“What if we can’t help him!?” She cried louder

He shushed her. “We will, we will. Don’t worry...” He said softly.

I blinked. Who? Who was she worried about? Who was she afraid they wouldn’t be able to help? I felt like something was seriously wrong and that whatever they were discussing right there was what caused her snap in the studio. Something was going on and it was something terrible, that no little girl should have to be experiencing.

“Why... don’t we go back to the studio, hmm? I know you’re enjoying yourself...” Michael suggested after a little bit.

“I don’t think I can go back in there, Michael. I’m so embarrassed now. Robyn probably hates me. Why couldn’t I just listen and not think!” She said, crying softly again.

“Hey, hey. I doubt Robyn hates you, come on now, she’ll understand that something was bothering you. Don’t say things like that. You can’t help but think about something so serious, Cherish. It happens, you’ve got a lot going on.

I heard her sobs grow quiet, it sounded like they were just turning to sniffles now.

“I’m just so scared...” She said very softly, I’d just managed to hear her.

“I know you are, Cherish. I know.” He said

Things were quiet for awhile again and I assumed Michael was just comforting her again. What was this poor, sweet girl going through?

“C-can we go back to the studio now, before mother gets here?” She asked after a long break of silence.

“Yes. Come on” Michael said. I quickly dashed off and into the studio.

“THERE YOU ARE!” Elena exclaimed when I came in. “Girl, where were you? I got so worried!! And why do you look like you were just running from a crazy man?!”

“Nothing. Drop it. I’m fine.” I told her, my eyes trailing to the door.

“O...kaaay....” Elena said, confused once more.

I just shook my head and focused on gaining my composure before Michael and Cherish returned. It wasn’t a long wait but it was enough.

Cherish walked in with her head down. She looked like she was watching her feet. She made her way over to me and took a breath. “I’m so sorry, Robyn. I didn’t mean to have an outburst like that.” She said quietly.

“Oh, it’s okay sweetie. Everyone gets frustrated.” I said with a weak smile.

She nodded. “Yeah...” She said before clearing her throat “So um, can we continue with the routine?”

I nodded. “Of course. I’ll restart it, okay?” I said

“Alright.” She said and with that I made my way over to the stereo. I felt an extreme amount of concern for that little girl. I prayed she’d be okay. When the music started, I made my way over and began helping her with the steps again. Keeping in mind to be even nicer to her in hopes to prevent what just happened.

Towards the end of our lesson, Cherish’s mother, Tanya, walked in. Tanya had the look of a woman who’d been to hell and back. She was unhealthy skinny and she was not aging well at all. Even though she was thirty-four she looked more like she was about fifty-seven. Her long hair was more gray then auburn, I assumed she was under a great deal of stress throughout her life. I wondered when she’d really smiled last because I didn’t see much light in her empty pale green eyes. It was quite sad.

Cherish finished up and then saw her mother. She rushed over to her and embraced her. Taniya’s expression softened but that was about it. Cherish seemed to be the only light in her life, every time she had a lesson, I only saw Tanya never her husband. I wondered if she had one. Was that what made her so upset? It didn’t seem likely but some people were liked that, so I suppose she could be.

I made my way over and smiled at her. “Cherish is doing so well, Ms. Hawthorne” I told her when I was close enough.

“Oh really?” She said in that timid tone of hers “I’m so glad to hear that. I know she was a bit worried about that.”

I nodded “Yes, we got very far today. She’s a very talented young lady” I said with a smile.

“I’m glad to hear that” Tanya said, rubbing Cherish’s back as she spoke. Cherish had buried her face into her mother’s side.

Michael then stepped forward. “Hi, Tanya” He said

She nodded her head to him. “Hello, Michael. How are you?” She asked.

“I’m alright, how about you?”

“Could be better” She answered. “Are you coming to dinner tonight?”

Cherish turned her head and looked over at Michael with pleading eyes.

“I suppose I could.” He said, meeting Cherish’s pleading eyes. She smiled slightly at him and buried her face in her mother’s side again.

He smiled slightly at that before looking back at Tanya. “Same time as before?” He asked

She nodded in response before leading Cherish out of the studio. He sighed once they were gone. “I can’t say no...” He said after they were gone, a weak chuckle escaping his lips.

“To who...?” I asked

“To Cherish. She loves when I visit but I’m just getting so busy again...” He sighed again

“Oh...” I said, trailing off.

He shook his head. “Last time, when I visited frequently I had to keep turning them down because it was one thing after the next. I could tell each time I said I couldn’t make it, Cherish was crushed. It ended up getting to the point where I couldn’t even call, so we fell out of touch.”

I wasn’t sure why he was telling me this. I guess he was just thinking a loud which happens to everyone. So I didn’t add too much in, I just nodded my head as he spoke. We must’ve been talking for a while because soon Elena was making her way over. Michael and I looked at her when she stopped in front of us.

“I don’t mind if you two talk and everything but you might wanna continue it somewhere else because I have to start closing up.” She said, watching Michael.

“Oh. Of course. I forgot you closed early today...” I said

She nodded and smiled slightly. “Always forgetting things.”

“Oh hush.” I said, laughing quietly. Michael just shook his head with a smile.

“I’ll see you two later.” She said, heading away to gather her belongings.

“I didn’t even realize it was time for her to close up.” Michael said, giggling a bit.

I laughed. “Nor did I.” I told him with a smile.

He smiled back. “Well... do you want to come to lunch with me so we can keep talking?” He asked

I blinked at his suggestion. “Oh. Sure. But... where are we going to go...?” I asked. Michael couldn’t go anywhere without someone following him and usually chaos ensued if he was sitting in public.

“I know this small café where we could go and not attract too much attention. The food’s excellent and the servers are very nice people.” He said

“Well, okay.” I said with a smile.

“Great. Common.” He said, heading out. I followed after him and got to where he’d parked. So he’d driven here this time. I didn’t even know he knew how since I always saw his driver sitting out here. I wonder how well he drives.

“I guess I’ll just follow you...” I said, unsure.

“That works.” He said with a smile, getting into his car.

I headed over to my own, which wasn’t too far from his and got in, following after him. I sang along to the song playing over the radio as I followed. It was one of my favorites by The Pointer Sisters. I tried to pay close attention to where we were going instead of the music. I didn’t need to wind up lost and wondering around aimlessly.

Finally, Michael pulled up to a small café and we parked side by side somewhere in the back of it. I guess if he took the back entrance, he wouldn’t attract as much attention. I followed him in as he talked to the servers. Once we were seated, I stared at the table, making invisibles patterns into it. I didn’t know why I felt so nervous around him. Maybe it was the fact that I’d overheard him and Cherish. I wanted to ask him about it but at the same time, I knew it wasn’t my place, so I continued to stay quiet.

“Are you okay?” Michael asked, genuine concern seemed to be etched within his tone. I looked up and blinked.

“Yes. Why do you ask?” I replied softly.

“I don’t know. You just seem... really uncomfortable...” He said.

I shrugged. “So how did you find this place anyway?” I asked, wanting to change the subject.

He raised one of the beautiful arched eyebrows at me. I could tell he sensed my subject change. I prayed he wouldn’t ignore it, I didn’t wanna admit that I’d pretty much spied on him. I had a feeling he probably wouldn’t like that.

“A good friend of mine took me to this place awhile back. It was his way of treating me out to somewhere I could actually just relax and not be bombarded by reporters.” He said, choosing to go with my subject change. “Heh, it’s funny. The first time we came here, I was on edge the entire time, despite him telling me to relax.” He shook his head with a small smile.

I smiled very slightly as well. “I can imagine you would be. At least you have somewhere. I feel everyone needs that one place where they can go to just enjoy themselves without a care in the world.” I said.

“Yeah, yeah they do.” He said, his smile grew wider, “Where’s yours? Do you have a place like that?” He asked me

It was my smile’s turn to grow wider. I could think of one significant place. “Yeah I do actually. A little place called Luna’s. It’s great in there. Stella, the owner, is practically like a second mother to me. She’s run the place for as long as I can remember. She’s so sweet and kind. Plus, the people in there are just so great and the environment itself! You just feel great when you’re in there.... gosh Michael.” I said with a warm smile.

He chuckled. “It sounds lovely.” He said with a warm smile of his own.

“It is. I’ll have to take you there sometime.”

“I’d like that very much.”

I smiled more at that. “Maybe some time next week?” I asked

“Sounds perfect.” He said

“Great!” I said. He would love Stella and I knew for a fact she’d love him. He seemed to have a great personality, not that I thought he wouldn’t. He always seemed to genuinely care and I never once thought it was an act.

He chuckled and we continued to talk like this for awhile. He was great to talk to and I was having a lot of fun.

End Notes:

Well? :)

This story archived at http://www.mjfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1776