- Text Size +

 

     "Thanks for letting us stay the night Mr. Bradford." Michael said taking off his platform shoes and getting comfortable. "It's no problem at all Michael you are all welcome anytime but we have to get you children back to your own time soon or you all are going to be the first in those clothes to ever be in the 1700's." William turned off the light and went to bed; their room was only a hallway down to the left and not far if the kids wanted something, they would come to them and ask. Michael opened one of his eyes and woke everyone up in a quiet tone.


"Michael, the next time you wake us up, can you do it a little more gentle?" Tito said clearly agitated while trying to adjust to the darkness. Michael ignored his brother rolling his eyes thank goodness for the dark. "My brain just got an idea." "If it's about using that slingshot to be as a weapon in the war, then you can just forget about it; save it in your dreams." Jermaine said plopping his head back down on the soft pillow. "I was about to say, why don't we create some weapons and machinery for the Militia? After all, the Town Clerk did say that they are lacking them and we could sure give them a helping hand."

The boys scratched their Afros and suddenly, gave into the idea with wide grins. "Yeah, that might work but we also have to think about getting back home Mother, Randy, and the girls must be worried sick about us right about now; I don't know about Joseph though plus, what about the girls?" Jackie added in. "April's food is very delicious she can be the chef and nurse along with Rachel; Tiffany can be the karate teacher so they can train." "Yeah!" They all shouted out but was quickly shushed by their younger brother. "Let's do it to it." After making a group hand clap, they all went to sleep.

     Early the next morning at around 6:45am, the kids went straight outside to William's shed where they had set to work to design and create some useful weapons. "Marlon, could you pass me the hammer?" Tito asked with the Jackson brother handing him the tool and nodded as a thank you in return. Footsteps were heard but the boys were too busy to pay any attention. "Good morning there boys, you all are up very early." The Jackson 5 turned around and smiled wiping the sweat off their foreheads. "Good morning William, sorry that we didn't hear you come in; we're just making up some weapons and gadgets for the men since the war has started." "I see that, well, why don't you all take a break and come eat breakfast." Nodding, they put aside their tools and went inside where they saw the girls making a hot pot of porridge.


"Morning boys." April said smiling up at them who all washed their hands and sat at the table and waited for the substantial hot cereal that was now in front of them. "Thanks girls, this oatmeal looks so good." Michael complimented with them smiling at each other.

Later that evening, the guys had returned to the town hall where another meeting was taking place once again. The men looked at the boys with scowls on their faces. "Oh great, it's them again; shouldn't they all go back to where they came from? After all, they look like they have something up their sleeves." "I know, what kind of diabolical plot are they up to this time?" The town Clerk smiled seeing the children again with a giant white sheet that covered up the stuff that they had built.

     "What's all that stuff there boys?" The Town Clerk asked curiously. The boys grinned real wide lifting up the blanket showing the men who all had their eyes as wide as saucers. "Introducing: The Jackson Cannon!" Michael announced stepping out of the way for all of them to admire its beauty. Men, including the Clerk stared with their mouths fully agape taking in the famous structure not to mention the well done paint job that sparkled in the light with their initials J5 at the side.


"I don't know what to say; this is... Marvelous! You all did a swell job we will definitely use this in the War." Smiles were all around; the sounds of Horse's hooves were heard along with the ringing of the bells as everyone ran out just to find out what the commotion was all about.

"People of Pennsylvania, I give you word from President George Washington, the British are coming! So it is best for all of you to get ready and fight for our country!" Screaming and shouting were all the noises as men ran home to prepare; the boys pushed out of the way as they got into the carriage and drove off.

"The War? Has anyone ever made it back from battle?" Jermaine asked. William kept his eyes on the road but spoke calmly. "Hundreds of them weren't able to get home to be with their families again; most of them all got killed from explosions even died from malnutrition walking 15 miles in the snow, sleet, and rain. Now, it has come to fight for the ones who lost their lives in the line of duty." The kids looked at each-other furrowing their eyebrows; this could be their chance to show the people what they were made of.