- Text Size +

Chapter 8:


Interrogation



I spent a lot of time over the weekend crying over what could have been with me and Michael. It was just so unfair. I worked hard, I had dreams, and whenever something seemed to be in my grasp it was taken away from me.


I emerged from my room on Sunday morning. Rose was still in bed and she probably thought I was a zombie the way I had been acting. I started to make breakfast and the next thing I knew my phone was ringing.


“Did you see the news?!” Britt exclaimed.


“What news?”


“On TMZ! Michael was spotted out with a girl! Look at it right now!”


I turned on the Tv and sure enough on TMZ they were talking about Michaels date with a mystery girl. They showed a video with him walking through a huge crowd with cameras flashing in his face and fans screaming. With one hand he waved at them, with the other he held the hand of a girl who walked close to him as to not lose him in the crowd. It made my blood boil and it made me sad at the same time. Crowd surfing seemed unpleasant, but if I wa with him I wanted it to be me.


“So how was it?” Britt asked.


“What?” I said confused.


“The date silly! With Michael! I'm sure it was fun right? At least until the paparazzi got involved, that must have been a nightmare…”


“Britt, that wasn't me.”


“What do you mean that want you? You've been trying to move in on Michael for weeks!”


“I know but...he's found someone else. He's not interested in me. They started dating earlier this week. He's brought her over to the house. I don't stand a chance with him.”


“Wow...girl I'm so sorry. I could have sworn he liked you.”


“Yeah...me too.”


“Well look, there are other guys out there. I mean, look at that video. If you dated Michael look what you'd have to deal with all the time. It seems like you dodged a bullet.”


“I guess so.” It sure didn't feel that way.


“look, let's go out. We'll have a great time and we'll get your mind off of this.”


“Sounds good Britt.” I should have told her I wanted to find a way to break them up. But I felt like if I told her I would jinx it. I had to wait until I had him in my grasp.


*WW*


it was hard to get time alone with Michael these days. He spent a lot of time out of the house and when he was home he seemed to always have his new girlfriend with him.


I couldn't believe I didn't see this coming. I must have been so blind. The whole time I thought he had been distracted the past few days because he was thinking about me when in reality he was trying to figure out how to ask this girl to go out with him. It infuriated me and at the same time, it made me sad.


I may have been down but I wasn't out. Not yet. I had to figure out what I could do to get Michael to realize that he was supposed to be with me. And my first step was to find out more about this girl.


“Can you believe Michael had a new girlfriend?” I said to Maria one afternoon.


“It's very unexpected that's for sure. But he's Michael Jackson, he can have anyone he wants.”


“Thats true,” I said. At first I was disappointed but I realized that might actually work in my favor. “Have you spoken to her?”


“A few times,” Maria replied.


“What do you think of her?”


“She's really nice. Very funny and sweet. Reminds me of Michael in a way.”


“But do you think they'll last?”


She shrugged. “I don't see why not. Michael deserves a lasting relationship in his life…” She paused when she saw my face. “OhI see what his is about. You're still in love with Michael.”


“I really thought we had a chance.”


“Well what are you going to do now?”


“What would you say if I made Michael see that he needs to be with me?”


“I'd say that's a bad idea.”


“Why?”


“Because he's happy. When. Was the last time Michael was truly happy? You really want to ruin that?”


“He'll be happy with me.”


“Listen Elera, I've been around here for a while. I've gotten to know Michael pretty well. Never have I seen him so happy with anyone else.
Not Lisa Marie, not Brooke shields, anyone. Let the man be happy on his own terms.”


Maria just didn't understand. She didn't know the experiences Michael and I had together. She didn't hear the conversations we'd had or our movie night or how much fun we had together. I had to make Michael see that he wanted me before he got hurt again.


*WW*


Later that day I finally had an opportunity to talk to Jess and find out what it was about this girl that fascinated Michael so much.


The two came home that afternoon laughing and being affectionate as always. Every time I saw him kiss her or hug her I wished it could be me.


She sat on the living room couch while Michael went to get something. I went into the room and made it seem like I was cleaning but really I was trying to figure out what to say.


“Hi Elera,” she said when I came into the room.


“Hi,” I said surprised she spoke to me first. She sat on the couch Indian style. Her curly hair was in a high ponytail, she wore a pair of dark jeans and a v neck t shirt with a dream catcher on it. She looked at me with a warm smile on her face. She was nice and pretty, almost perfect. There had to be something wrong with her.


“How long have you been working for michael?”


“About 6 months,” I replied.


“You must know him really well then.”


“Yeah, I do. He's a really great guy.” I tried to see what her underlying intention was but she didn't seem to have one. She looked pleasant and just genuinely curious.


“You don't have to tell me. He's wonderful.”


She was very happy. They were still in the honeymoon phase of their relationship, how long would it last?


“So what do you do?”


“I dance for a ballet company.”


A part of me wasn't surprised. She looked like a dancer.


“How did you and Michael meet?”


“We met at one of his concerts.”


“Which one?”


“The one on the 24th.”


My face fell. “I was at that one…”


“Oh really? Cool. I went backstage to meet him and it seemed like a connection from the start.”


“Did he ask you to date him right there?”


She shook her head. “No but I ran into him at starbucks the next day. We talked for hours. Then he gave me his number. I called him and then he asked me to go on a date with him. And I guess the rest is history.”


“Are you happy with him?”


“Absolutely. He's the most incredible guy I've ever met.”


“Yeah,you don't have to tell me.” The snarky way I said it surprised even me but the genuine way she was speaking was starting to infuriate me. At some point she had to slip up and give me a reason to believe she wasn't good for Michael. “You know, Michael has been through a lot. He deserves someone who's honest and who loves him for him, not just who he is.”


“I know. I know what Michael has been through, I know how it feels.”


“How would you know?”


“Because I've been hurt too. And I wouldn't wish it on anyone.”


“How could you know what Michael needs?”


“And you do?” She said getting defensive.


“I've known him longer.”


She looked at me for a minute trying to figure me out and then she sighed. “Look, I don't want you to get the wrong idea about me. Clearly you and Michael are friends and you care about him a lot. But I care about him too. No one has ever made me as happy as he does. I don't want to lose that, I would never dream of hurting someone I love so much. So you can relax. I'm not in this for any reason other than the fact that I truly love Michael.”


I didn't know what more I could say to her. Before I could think of anything else Michael came into the room.


“Hey girls,” he said. He went over to Jess and sat next to her. The first high he did was give her a tight embrace and kiss her forehead which made her blush. “Dinner is ready.”


“Where are we eating tonight?”


He kissed her lips. “Outside by the lake.”


She gave him a hug. “Sounds romantic.”


He kissed her once again. “Anything for you honey.”


The two got up and went off to their dinner date leaving me alone in the room. Clearly I had to act fast.