- Text Size +

Chapter 7:

The New Girlfriend


The next day I came to Michael’s house in the morning for work and I was ready to make up for the day before. I wore extra beautiful clothes and had my hair done again. I was prepared to see him when I walked through the door but I saw no sign of him.
“Where’s Michael?” I asked Maria who was vaccuming the floor.
“He went out early this morning,” she replied. She looked up at me and looked surprised. “Don’t you look beautiful? Are you going out later?”
“Yes…well maybe,” I replied. “Hopefully I’ll be going out with him.”
Maria nodded immediately understanding. “Oh I see what this is about. You still have the hots for Michael.”
“How could I not? He’s incredible. Don’t you think I can make him happy Maria? Don’t you think we’d be perfect together?”
“It’s certainly a long shot, but if it worked I’d say it would be a great love story.”
“I hope so. I tried to ask him out yesterday but his manager called and he went to a meeting. I know! I’ll take him out to the movie theater or for a long walk in the garden. There can’t be any interruptions there.”
“Of course not. Good luck.”
I was glad Maria was on my side. I knew this had to work.
I got to my duties for the day growing more impatient by the minute for Michael to come home. It was 2:00 when I heard the front door open and I practically sprinted from the kitchen to greet him. But when I got in the hallway I stopped dead in my tracks. Michael was there in all of his tall handsome glory…but he was with a girl.
“Wow, this is amazing!” she exclaimed looking around in awe just like I did on my first day here.
Michael chuckled. “I’m glad you like it.” He noticed me standing there and waved. “Jess, this is Elera, my housekeeper. Elera, this is my new girlfriend, Jess.”
I felt like I had been punched in the gut. I stood there dumbfounded unable to find words to portray how I was feeling.
Jess stepped forward and held her hand out to me. “It’s nice to meet you Elera.” She was really pretty. She had very long, curly black hair, caramel skin, big brown eyes, and she wore a pair of black leggings and a baggy, off the shoulder t-shirt. She was effortlessly beautiful. I suddenly felt extremely plain standing next to her.
I held out my hand to her still feeling dazed. “It’s nice to meet you too Jess,” I managed to say.
Michael reached out and laced his fingers in Jess’s free hand. “I’m going to give Jess a tour of the house. Come find me if you need anything.”
I watched them walk off. It felt like I was a ghost watching from outside of my body. Even from the back Jess was beautiful. She had a perfect hour glass figure that was very toned, she must have been a dancer or fitness professional or something. Her hips swayed and her hair moved back and forth. Michael laughed and wrapped his arm around her waist holding her closer. I literally felt my heart rip in two when he kissed her.
As soon as they were out of sight and ear shot I began to cry. It wasn’t fair! I had worked so hard here. I had been through so much. I thought Michael would be my salvation. We were going to save each other. He had been so kind to me showing me around his home, making sure I had fun, giving me tickets to his concert…but maybe that was all it was. Kindness. He had been that way out of friendship, or even just courtesy. Michael wasn’t interested in me. I had to accept that.
Or maybe I didn’t. These two hadn’t been dating long. I could see to it that they weren’t dating much longer. I needed to know more about this girl. And more importantly I needed to make Michael see that I was the one he was supposed to be with.