- Text Size +

Chapter 13:

Giving Up

 

That evening, Michael and Jess had a romantic dinner in the dining room and had a movie date. I had done a lot of thinking since I talked to Jess, and I had done a lot of crying. But it was time to let go.

The next day I went to Michaels house with my heart pounding. I didn't see him for most of the morning. He eventually emerged from upstairs with Jess who gave me a dirty look when she saw me. I wanted to say to her, don't worry it'll all be over soon.

It took an hour to build the courage but finally I went into the recording studio where Michael was gathering some song notes.

“How are you doing Elera…”

Before anything else could be said I took his face in my hands and kissed him. Impressed my mouth against his for a deep passionate kiss. His lips were so soft. His breath was warm and smelled of spearmint. I ran my fingers through his hair which was as soft as silk. His body heat made my body explode with nerves. It was everything had imagined and more.

I kissed him for as long as I could. It only ended when he started to pull away from me. He looked at me in shock. “Elera...what…?”

“I quit.” Looking at him like this, finally getting a chance to feel him, made those the hardest two words I'd ever said.

“Why?” He said still confused.

“I love you. And because of that...I can't stay here.” The tears in my eyes spilled over and my voice choked but I had to get this out. The faster I did it the less painful it would be.

“I sent you the text. I put the condom in your bed. I was so desperate to get you to break up with her and be with me. But that's no way to treat someone you love. If I love you I have to let you be happy. I have to let you be with her. But I can't stay.”

“Elera, I don't want you to quit.”

Why was he making this so hard?! “I have to. It would be too painful to stay her and see you with her.”

He looked at me for a moment trying to figure out what he could say. “I'm sorry to see you go. I appreciate all the help you've given me and I've always enjoyed your company.”

“I'm sorry.” I turned to go.

“Wait.” He sat at the recording bench and scribbled something onto a piece of paper. He handed it to me.

When I looked down it was a check for $50,000. “Why are you giving me this? This is way more than my paycheck.”

“It'll help,you take care of your sister. It's the least I can do if I can't get you to stay. I'll miss you.”

I couldn't look at him. I was going to kiss him again. “I'll miss you too. Good bye.”

I turned and left. I got in the car and stared at the huge beautiful house that had captivated me from the moment I saw it. It truly hurt to know that I would never see it again, nor would I ever see the incredible man who owned it.

Chapter End Notes:

That's the end of the story! Let me know what you think in the comments!