- Text Size +
"This is remarkable." said Eve, impressed by how out-going Nina was during the class. "It's like she's a completely different person."

"Yes." Danielle replied in agreement. "What happens with Nina is like what happens with a performer on the stage...If they are shy and introverted in real life, they transform, as Nina transforms when in class."

"I am so glad her second grade teacher suggested having Nina meet boys and girls her age who shared a similar interest." Eve replied.

"Excuse me." said Danielle politely, having glanced at her watch. "Okay, everyone." she said while crossing to the center of the room. "We have more to learn."

Danielle's observation was correct, during the classes, Nina was animated and out-going but once the class was over, Nina went right back to her normal, shy self.

The following morning, when he came downstairs to breakfast, Neil Williams found his daughter sitting at the breakfast table, eating her favorite pancakes with boysenberry syrup, and humming between bites.

"Hey, little lady." said Neil to Nina as he affectionately tousled her hair, and kissed the top of her head. "How are your dance classes going?"

"I love them, Daddy. My teacher says I'm one of the best students in the class." Nina replied.

"I bet you're THE best." Neil thought to himself.

"Daddy, I want to be just like Michael." Nina said with a sound of determination in her young voice.

"Well." Neil thought, impressed by Nina's decision. "Good for you. But you know, if you want to be like Michael, you are going to have to practice all the time."

"All the time?" Nina replied.

"Well, except when you're in school or doing your homework." Neil replied. "I've heard Michael's daddy makes him practice all the time too."

"Oh." replied Nina. "Hi, Mommy."

"Hello, sweetie." replied Eve as she came in to the room, having heard Nina's conversation with her dad. "So, you want to be like Michael, huh?"

"Yes, Mommy." Nina replied. "Just like him."

"That's nice, sweetie." Eve replied, noticing Nina was a little more out-going when talking about her dream.

At first, Eve had worried perhaps the classes would only produce the desired changes in Nina at the dance studio. However, after talking to Nina's teacher, Miss Riley, Eve realized she'd worried for nothing.

"Oh, Nina is doing much better." replied Miss Riley. "She still sits at the back of the class, and does her work by herself in the classroom, but when she's on the playground, she's much more out-going."

"So, Nina joins in with the other children during recess?" asked Eve.

"Well, yes and no." Miss Riley replied. "More like the other children join her. When we're outside on the playground, Nina finds a place to play, usually someplace level, then she'll begin dancing."

"Oh, yes." replied Eve. "Nina's taking dance classes now. She loves them. She practices all the time."

"Anyway," Miss Riley continued. "Apparently the other children are fascinated by what Nina is doing because by the time recess is over, there are more children dancing with Nina then there are doing the other activities."

"Hm." Eve thought to herself. "Perhaps Nina has a future as a dance instructor."

"Hi, Mommy!...Did you bring my shoes?" said Nina, having gathered up her belongings and hurried over to Eve.

"She means her tap shoes." replied Eve to Miss Riley. "Nina's in a class where she's learning tap and ballet AND jazz at the same time.

"And tumbling." Nina added.

"Well," Miss Riley replied, impressed. "You're turning into quite the little dancer, aren't you?"

"Uh, huh." replied Nina. "And someday, I'm going to be just like Michael."

"Well, good for you." Miss Riley added with a smile. "I guess I don't have to ask what you want to be when you grow up."

"We better get going, kiddo." Eve said, checking her watch. "Daddy left his badge at home." she continued as she left the classroom followed by Nina. "And we have enough time to get it to him at the studio before we have to get you home for dinner before class."

"Good-bye, Miss Riley." said Nina with a wave.

"Oh, yes, good-bye, Miss Riley." replied Eve.

"Good-bye." Miss Riley called after. "Have fun at dance class!"

Nina always had fun when she was at dance class, and tonight was no exception. Thanks to Danielle Kolenkov's expertise as a trained dancer, all of the students, including the least physically coordinated, were able to learn the dance steps in no time. The classes were so much fun, the hour tended to fly by, and in no time the class session would once again be over, and the students would again be leaving with their respective parents or siblings. On this particular evening, Nina was the last student to leave the class. Eve had told Danielle there would be occasions when Nina would be picked up a few minutes later but someone would be along momentarily. While waiting for Eve, Nina changed out of her shoes, back into her sneakers, and put on her coat.

"Well, Nina," said Danielle. "It looks like you are almost ready for our recital."

"Recital?...Are we going to be on a stage?" Nina asked.

"Yes, we are going to be in the auditorium at the high school." Danielle replied. "When your mom arrives, I'll give her the order form for your costumes."

"We get costumes?" Nina asked, gleefully. "Oh boy!"

Seeing her students' enthusiasm always made Danielle smile because she enjoyed watching her students getting the same pleasure out of dancing she herself got when she was a child.

"I see you've been practicing." Danielle commented.

"Yes." Nina replied. "I practice every day...all the time...Except for when I'm in school or have homework...or it's bed time...or meal time."

"So, do you ever go outside to play?" Danielle asked.

"No. Daddy says if I want to be really good, I have to practice all the time."

Hearing this, Danielle murmured "I see." as she remembered being required to practice all the time when she was a dancer.

"Here's my girl!" Eve exclaimed as she entered the room, scooped Nina in her arms and hugged her. "Sorry I'm late, Dani...my boss needed me to type a last-minute memo before he started his staff meeting.."

"It is okay." replied Danielle as she picked up a form and gave it to Eve. "I was just telling Nina about our recital."

"It's going to be on a stage and we're going to wear COSTUMES." Nina replied as gleefully as before.

"Here is the order form for the costumes, the directions to the high school we'll be performing in, and the date and time."

"Thank you." Eve replied clasping the papers in her free hand-the one not tightly around Nina's waist.

"Okay." Eve continued, while folding the form and putting it in her handbag.

"Do you have all your stuff?" Eve asked Nina.

"Yes, Mommy." Nina replied.

"Okay, good...Then, I guess we'll see you next week." Eve continued to Danielle while leaving the dance studio followed by Nina.

"Goodnight." Danielle called after.

As she went around turning off lights, making sure things were turned off, and gathered her own belongings, Danielle continued pondering Nina's remark about practicing all the time as opposed to going outside and playing. Nina's remark concerned Danielle mainly because Danielle could see history repeating itself in a sense. The following morning, Danielle phoned Eve at her place of business.

"Hello, 23rd and Vine Architecture, Eve Williams speaking." Eve answered pleasantly.

"Hello, Eve, it's Danielle."

"Hello, Danielle." Eve replied, "What can I do for you?"

"I was wondering if you would be able to meet with me today...say for lunch...or coffee?"

"As matter of fact, I do have some time." Eve replied, checking her desk calendar. "Why don't we meet at that coffee shop down the street from the dance studio?...I take my lunch break at 12:30...How would that be?"

"That would be fine." Danielle replied pleasantly. "I'll see you then."

At 12:30, as Eve waited in the coffee shop for Danielle to arrive, she pondered why her friend had asked her to meet with her on such short notice. Although tempted, Eve decided to wait until Danielle arrived before ordering something to eat. Fifteen minutes later, Danielle arrived obviously harried from a busy morning.

"I'm sorry I'm late." Danielle apologized as she sat across from Eve in the booth. "Another of the teachers called in sick this morning, and I had to teach her class as well."



Kindred Spirits (c) 2010