- Text Size +
"What happened to your childhood?" asked Michael after a moment or so. "You mentioned it earlier."

"My dad died when I was little, and my mom and I wound up on the wrong side of the tracks." said Pam. "My mom and dad had gotten married right after high school, and my mom didn't really know how to do anything...except for the things she was taught in the home ec. classes, and things she learned in the finishing school she attended. So anyway, instead of getting a job as a waitress or something like that-because she'd had it drummed into her head that 'a woman's place is in the home'-or going to my grandparents for money, my mom got a job in 'the world's oldest profession.' "And ...so..." Pam continued thoughtfully. "There were never any kids around for me to play with. The only kids I ever saw were kids whose parents knew who I was, and what my mom did for a living. It didn't take me long to learn no one wants their child playing with the child of a prostitute. I never went to amusement parks or anything...I never had any toys...All the money my mom earned soliciting went toward clothes, food...and her drug habit. That's another thing we have in common, being exposed to the adult world when we were kids-only I was exposed to a lot more of it than you were... “You know,” Pam continued as she allowed herself to relax prone on the bed with her outer hand brushing gently against Michael's upper thigh as he sat on the edge of the bed.. "This is the first time I've felt this comfortable being this close to any guy...ever." she continued-aware of both how physically close she was to Michael, and the absence of past anxiety. "Maybe what they say is true...'Time heals all wounds." muttered Pam thoughtfully to herself.

"Sounds like something bad happened...What was it?" asked Michael quietly and then adding politely "If you don't mind my asking."

"One night-when I was fourteen-some men came looking for my mom-she'd gone out somewhere, I don't remember. I think she'd gone out to buy drugs or something, I don't remember. Anyway, these men saw me and they...I don't know, I guess they thought I was my mom-I look a lot like her. Or rather, I did at the time. Anyway, these men saw me and...and...Do you know what gang rape is?"

"Yes...I do." Michael replied.

"So do I...I have 'hands on' experience"-no pun intended." Pam replied, facing an opposite wall to hide the tears she felt welling up in her eyes. 'After it happened, they sent my mom to a rehab hospital to get 'clean' because they believed drugs caused her lapse in judgment; and I was sent to live with my guardian."

"I'm sorry those men did that to you." said Michael while gently clasping Pam's hand. "I would never do that."

"I know you wouldn't." Pam replied softly, again facing Michael. "You're different...The pastor of the church I belong to talked about you in a sermon once. He said you were special...that you had an inner quality...an "inner light" I think he said...You know, you are still as cute as you were when you were a kid. Those girls who said "Yuck" when they saw you that time were wrong. Just like Carol was wrong when she said I was a freckle-faced scarecrow." she continued aloud to herself..."You have the most beautiful smile...And your eyes...." she added outwardly while gently curling her fingers around Michael's hand, & stroking it as the following words came to her mind:

"Your deep, beautiful, dark eyes mesmerize my mind with their gaze,
I am transfixed.
I cannot divert my mental gaze for long.
You have me,
I am yours..."

. "Oh Michael, I could just kiss you." Pam thought to herself now feeling the same excitement inwardly her friend Kelly had been expressing outwardly all along. "I love you so much."

Although filled with the desire to express those feelings in words, Pam, thinking Michael might find such an expression of affection to be childish and stupid, chose to keep her loving thoughts to herself.

"They say the eyes are the windows to the soul.", Pam continued. "You've been lonely, haven't you?" asked Pam while sitting up and moving closer to Michael, having noticed the sadness in Michael's eyes, even at times when he'd been smiling.

"Yes, I have." Michael answered quietly.

"So have I." Pam replied slipping her arms around Michael, and kissing him on the side of his neck. "I just want you to know, Michael, you matter to me. And it's not because of your name or your celebrity, I don’t care about those things… I care about you, Michael Jackson, from Gary, Indiana. You can trust me. I never say anything I don't mean...I love you."

As she leaned in to kiss Michael on the cheek, Pam thought she noticed a slight variance in the color of Michael's skin. Rather than be rude, like former guardian Carol would have been, and ask a question she knew was none of her business, Pam made herself change the subject.

"I appreciate you letting me stay here tonight." said Pam, while in her mind she thought sarcastically: "Landlord, my ass...It's your house, Brad...you idiot." "Thank you, Michael."

"You're welcome...Your being there, and the things you said really mean a lot." said Michael as he put his arms around Pam and held her. "I really needed someone to talk to tonight."

"Is that why you came back to the rehearsal hall?" Pam asked softly as she rested her head against Michael‘s shoulder. "To find someone to talk to?"

"That's one of the reasons." Michael whispered before kissing Pam on the lips. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." Pam replied. "I love you, Michael"

"I love you more..."

The following morning, as she began waking up, Pam briefly imagined herself back in the rehearsal hall, lying stretched out across the row of chairs, and felt a twinge of disappointment as it struck her that perhaps she had only dreamed about having spent the night with Michael. However, as she opened her eyes and looked around, the disappointment disappeared as Pam recognized her present surroundings.

"I spent the night with Michael Jackson." Pam thought to herself, and smiled as she fondly remembered the affection she'd shared with Michael the night before.

After checking the time, and noticing it was time for her to get ready to go to rehearsal, Pam,-having slept in her clothes from the day before-got off the bed, smoothed out her clothes and, after making the bed, ran a brush through her hair. Deciding to wear her hair down rather than fastened in her customary pig-tails, Pam finished brushing her hair, and after checking her reflection in the mirror she'd brought with her, dropped the mirror and hair brush back in her hand bag, and slung the strap of the bag over her shoulder as she looked around to make sure she hadn't forgotten anything.

After double-checking and finding everything in order, Pam walked into the hallway, and nearly collided with an older woman with hair, skin, and eye color similar to Michael's. Although Pam had only seen pictures and film clips of Michael, his siblings, and their father, instinct told Pam this woman was Michael's mother, Katherine.

"Oh! Excuse me!" said Pam apologetically.

"Hello." Katherine replied pleasantly in the same soft-spoken manner as Michael.

"Good morning, Mrs. Jackson. I'm Pam. I'm a friend of Michael's"

"Nice to meet you." Katherine replied.

"Thank you. It's nice to meet you." Pam continued, adding: “I'm one of the dancers in the video Michael's working on...I needed a place to stay last night so he let me stay here."

"My son is a very thoughtful young man." Katherine replied with a smile.

"Yes, he is." Pam thought to herself.

"If you're looking for Michael, he's outside, in the front." Katherine added pleasantly.

"Thank you, Mrs. Jackson."

"You're welcome, dear."

"This is a nice place." Pam thought to herself as she walked back through the Jackson's home. "Very nice."

Once back outside, after taking a minute to allow her eyes to adjust to the light from the morning sun, Pam couldn't help but be amazed by not only the beauty of the landscaping but also at seeing the number of limousines parked in the driveway.

"Wow!" Pam thought to herself while looking around and taking everything in before catching sight of Michael, standing near one of the limos, chatting with one of the drivers before climbing in to the vehicle in the passenger seat on the driver's side. Taking her cue from Michael, Pam hurried over and climbed in to the limo in the same seat as Michael only on the passenger side.

"Good morning, Michael!" said Pam cheerfully as she closed the car door after her.

"Hello!" replied Michael with a smile. "Okay, we're ready." said Michael to the limo driver.

"Yes Sir." replied the driver while starting the engine and pulling away from the curb.

"Thanks again for letting me stay here last night. I really appreciate it." said Pam.

"You needed a place to stay. It was the least I could do." replied Michael while removing the aviator-style sunglasses he'd been wearing thus allowing Pam to see his eyes and into his heart.

"You're so sweet." Pam replied softly, moving closer to Michael and kissing him. "I love you."

For most of the ride into town, Pam and Michael kissed and held each other like two teen-agers who had been on an all-night date to the prom. However, once they were only minutes away from from the rehearsal hall, instinct told them both the value of discretion, and they moved apart, and sat side by side holding hands.

"Just in case any reporters happen to show up." Michael whispered while putting his sunglasses back on.

"Oh, right." Pam replied.

After the driver parked the limo near the entrance to the building, Michael and Pam got out on separate sides of the vehicle but entered the building at the same time.

"I'll see you later." Michael whispered as he kissed Pam on the cheek and gave her hand an affectionate squeeze.

"Okay." Pam whispered in response as she watched Michael go in to the dance studio, and then stopped to get a drink from a nearby drinking fountain.

Checking her watch, and seeing she still had a few minutes before start of rehearsal, Pam decided to spend the time in the ladies room. As she entered the ladies room, Pam was greeted by Kelly presently exiting one of the stalls.

"Pammy...Oh my God...I am so sorry." said Kelly apologetically. "When you didn't come home last night, and Brad told me what he'd said to you...I couldn't believe it."

"Yeah, he gave me a story alright." Pam replied while entering one of the stalls and closing the door behind her. "About how you were going to be out all night, and how your land lord..."

"Our land lord!?!...He told you we had a land lord?" Kelly replied incredulously. "Oh my God...what an idiot...We were at home all night, and it's his house-his parents left it to him after they died!...And when he told me you'd decided to stay later and do some more practicing...What a jerk. I am so sorry." Kelly repeated as Pam came out of the stall as a flushing sound was heard.

"You must have been so pissed to have to sleep here all night." Kelly continued as Pam walked over to one of the sinks, washed her hands and dried them, then checked her reflection in the mirror on the bathroom wall.

"Well...I would have been pissed if I'd had to stay here all night." said Pam, deciding to have a little fun with Kelly.

"You mean you went to stay at a motel?" asked Kelly.

"Well...I was going to...until someone invited me to stay with them.” said Pam.

"Who?" asked Kelly.

"Just somebody." Pam said with a small “I know something you don’t know” smile.

"Who?...C'mon, Pammy!...Tell me who!" insisted Kelly, just dying to know who her friend had spent the night with.

"Who do you think?" Pam replied with a grin which implied “Give you one guess.”

"You mean you spent the night with...Pammy!" Kelly continued with a gasp of excitement as she guessed Pam had spent the night with Michael. "So you and Michael were...?" Kelly continued as she presumed an intimacy between her friend and the rising pop star.

"No, nothing like that." Pam continued to dispel the myth that she and Michael had been intimate. "We just kissed...and held each other. " Pam replied with a shy smile. "Oh...he is so sweet...I could fall in love with him so easily."

"Girl, I already am." replied Kelly. "Oh boy, I am so jealous right now...Here you go spending the night with a total sweetheart, and I spend the night with a complete idiot...Hey, you know, if I'm jealous, Ola probably would be too...if she knew." Kelly thought with a grin. "I heard she has a major crush on Michael."

"I heard that too.” said Pam while rummaging through her bag for a barrette to fasten in her hair. "I'm not sure but I think Michael actually prefers white girls. I mean look who he's dated so far: Tatum O’Neal… Brooke Shields, I think..."

"...And you last night." Kelly added.

"Yeah, and me...only last night wasn't really a date." Pam replied as she checked her watch, having fastened her hair in a pony tail using the barrette. "We need to be getting in there." she continued as she gathered her things and walked out of the ladies room followed by Kelly.


Kindred Spirits (c) 2010