- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The rays from the bright sun peeking through the curtains, almost blinded Michael, as he lounged on the living room couch, while silently going over his lines.

He'd only been in New York for a little over a month, and still hadn't quite grasped everything just yet. The very second Michael touched down in New York, he immediately got to working on his part as the Scarecrow in the upcoming movie, The Wiz.

Between filming and learning the choreography for the dancing scenes, Michael barely had time for himself, and the very little time he did have to himself, he spent writing music.

With him being so far away from home and out of touch with his family, Michael was practically alone. Sure he had his sister Latoya there with him, but with her being out at the nightclubs and hanging with a couple of friends she'd met, Michael was left back at the apartment by himself.

None of that bothered him the least bit, considering he didn't care for clubs too much anyway. However, whenever he wasn't busying himself with his work, he found himself thinking about Nicole.

There were plenty of times when thoughts of Nicole would flood his mind, and some days were easier than others to shake himself of those thoughts. He had no idea why, but as time went on he was slowly beginning to regret all that he'd said the last time they talked.

But that was besides the point now, he knew one day he was going to have forget about her and move on, he was more than for certain that she had.

Ring! Ring! Ring!

The sound of the telephone ringing, snapped Michael out of his daze, and he shot up off the couch to go answer it.

"Hello?" he answered sweetly.

"Hi baby," Katherine's sweet voice sounded, over the other side of the phone.

"Oh hi mother," Michael replied, with a warm smile.

"Well hello yourself, how are you doing today? How's New York treating you?"

Michael had to roll his eyes as the sound of a concerned parent came from Katherine's mouth. For some reason, out of all of her children, she was the most protective of him, "everything's going great mother, we just about finished filming for the movie, and it's going smoothly," he tried assuring her.

But Katherine, on the other hand wasn't going to let up just yet, especially since this was the first time Michael ever been out on his own, "are you sure?" she probed.

Michael couldn't help, but smile at his mother's questions, "yes mother I'm sure."

"What about Toya, how's she liking the change of scenery?"

"I assume she's liking it so far," Michael replied, sarcastically.

"You assume?" Katherine repeated, questionably.

"Well, you know how Toya is mother, from the moment we landed a month ago I haven't really seen her, it seems. I don't know, I just assumed that since she's never at home, that wherever she maybe I'm sure she's enjoying herself," Michael said, nonchalantly.

Katherine giggled, "we can only hope baby. Oh Michael! I'm not sure if it's a good time to mention this, but Nicole came over today."

Michael's eyes lit up at the sound of Nicole's name, "oh? What for?" he asked, trying to sound as unexcited as possible.

"Well, she got accepted into this school and I guess she was just so excited, that she ran all the way over here, just to tell me all about it," Katherine chuckled.

Michael raised both of his eyebrows, "really? T-That's good to hear mother, I'm really proud of her," he replied, sounding a lot sadder than he'd hoped.

"I'll be sure to tell her that honey. Well, I'm going to go now, I just thought I'd check in on you."

"Ok mother, thank you for calling."

"You're welcome baby, I love you."

"Love you too," Michael said lastly, before hanging up the phone.

He blew a big gust of wind from his mouth and rubbed his hand down his face. It was going to be very difficult to concentrate on his work, now that he was thinking about Nicole, once again.

"Maybe I should call her, I'm sure her number's still the same," he whispered to himself, as he stared down at the phone.

"But she doesn't even know me by this number, what if she doesn't even answer," Michael placed his thumb into his mouth, and nervously chewed on his nail, as he went back and forth with himself mentally.

"Oh just forget the whole thing!" he finally said, before walking away from the phone, and flopping back down on the couch.

Suddenly, the front door flew open and in walked Latoya, with another female, who looked to be the same age as she.

"Hey Mike! What you doing?" Latoya yelled, in a sing-song fashion.

"Oh you know, just working," Michael raised his script in the air, and smiled faintly at his sister.

"Oh, well this here is my friend Riley," Latoya said, completely ignoring Michael's sarcasm.

Michael frowned up at the strange girl, before plastering a smile on his face, "hi."

"Hello Michael, it's real nice to meet you," Riley semi-flirted, but of course Michael didn't catch it.

"She and I are going out clubbing later, you want to come along?"

"Can't, I have a lot of work to do, besides I don't like clubs Toya, you know that."

"Yeah, but you don't understand Michael, this isn't like most clubs! It's better actually!"

Michael sighed, "I don't know Toya, what's the name of this club anyway?"

"Studio 54, and believe me Mike it's a lot of fun, I'm telling you, you'll really enjoy yourself." Latoya looked up at Riley for help, but she was too busy checking out her nail beds to care about the conversation. "Right Riley?"

Latoya quickly cleared her throat to get her attention, "Huh? Oh, oh! Y-Yeah! Just give it a chance Michael, you'll never know until you give it a try," Riley said, shrugging her shoulders.

Michael looked between Latoya and Riley, before speaking, "alright alright, stop your begging, I'll go," he finally gave in, with a roll of his eyes.

"Yay!!" the girls shouted in unison.

"Well, what are we doing just sitting here, let's go!" Latoya shrieked, while pulling Michael up roughly by the hand.

***

That Night...

 

When Michael, Latoya, and Riley returned home from the club, they were all so exhausted and falling over themselves, from the fun they'd had that night.

Michael was the most tired, after all that was the first time he'd been out, since he moved to New York. Even though, he didn't drink like Latoya and Riley, he was still completely tired out, considering he nearly danced the night away.

He turned to look over at Latoya, who was sprawled on the couch, half asleep. He figured she and Riley must have had way more fun than he did what with all the drinking they did.

Michael rolled his eyes at his sister and sat down on the couch, right across from her.

Riley glanced down at him out of the corner of her eye, "umm so Michael, did you have fun tonight?" she asked, after clearing her throat.

"Yeah umm, I did, what about you? Did you have a good time?" Michael asked, as he matched her stare.

Riley took a seat next to Michael, "oh yeah, I always have fun when I go there. But besides all that, how are you liking New York overall?"

"It's a really great place honestly," Michael smiled.

"Well, if you'd like I can show you around sometime," Riley offered, by this time she was sitting so close to Michael, that they were practically touching elbows.

"I'd love to Riley, but with my work schedule I may not be able to, thanks for the offer though," Michael declined, as he patted Riley softly on the leg.

"See Michael, that's your problem, you're always working, and from what Latoya tells me, you never allow yourself to let loose and just have fun," Riley said, softening her voice up a bit.

"I had fun tonight, and thanks for your concern, but I'm doing just fine here."

A small smile crept upon Riley's face and she leaned closer to Michael, "but Michael you don't understand, if you allow me this one chance, I promise I can show you a good time," she licked her lips subtly and gently swiped her hand against his chest.

When Michael realized what she was doing, his eyes bulged out of their sockets, "wait a minute Riley I don-" he started, but she cut him off, by placing her finger to his lips.

"Just relax Michael, and let me take control," she cooed, and slowly began to unbutton the top of his shirt.

"Riley please, we hardly know each other a-and I'm in love with someone else!" Michael quickly threw in, catching Riley by surprise.

Riley paused to eye Michael, "are you serious?"

"Yeah Riley, I'm really sorry, but I just can't do this," he replied, somberly.

Riley looked at Michael with sad eyes, "n-no I'm the one who should be apologizing, I had no idea you were already involved with someone."

Sudden silence between both of them until a loud snore escaped from Latoya's mouth, catching both of their attention.

"I'm sorry Michael, m-maybe I should go, when Latoya wakes up just tell her that I'm sorry I couldn't stay and she can call me later if she wants," Riley quickly gathered up her shoes, before scurrying to the front door.

Michael lowered his eyebrows and stood up, "wait Riley, you don't have to leave," he said, as he followed close behind her.

"No I really should, I'm kind of tired anyway, I'll see you around Michael," Riley opened the front door and exited, before Michael even had a chance to protest.

The sound of the door slamming shut, made Latoya jump in her sleep, but she didn't wake up, she just turned over and began to snore yet again.

Michael sighed deeply in frustration and pinched the bridge of his nose, before taking a seat on the couch. He leaned forward on his elbows and placed his face into his hands.

***

One Year Later...

Bang! Bang! Bang!

Nicole rolled her eyes in annoyance when she heard the sound of someone banging on her door. She'd been sprawled across the couch, while looking at the television.

She took the remote and turned the tv off, before hopping off of the couch to answer the door.

She raised her eyebrows in surprise, when she looked into the eyes of Michael himself.

"M-Michael, what are you doing here?" she asked, as her eyes danced back and forth nervously.

"Nicole listen, I know I'm probably the last person you want to see right now, but I just had to see you," Michael stuck his hands down into his pockets and stepped through the door.

"Michael what are you talking about?"

Michael stepped directly in front of Nicole and grabbed ahold of her hands, so he could squeeze them, "Nicole I love you, and I mean it with the utmost sincerity," he explained.

Nicole crossed her arms and cocked her hip to the side in an attitude, "you love me but, you'd been gone, for over a year. Michael, you left me without so much as a goodbye, and then you come back out of the blue, and just expect me to take you back?" she nearly shouted, snatching her hands away.

"Well, I wasn-" Michael stammered on his words.

"No Michael, I don't want to hear it now. Besides I had a conversation with my mother, and she helped me understand just how important your career really is. I just don't have any place in your life and I've learned to accept that," Nicole said, nonchhalantly.

"That's why I'm here, to show you that I don't care about that stuff. If you want me to I'll give it all up right now, just to be with you. I'm in love with you Nicole, and I'll fight for you everyday if I have to," Michael wasn't afraid to pour his heart out to Nicole, as long as it meant getting her back.

Nicole's eyes softened at Michael's words, but she wasn't going to give into him just yet, "Michael I-I don't know, we can't just pick up where we left off, it's not that easy."

Michael lowered his eyebrows, "why not? Is there someone else you're seeing?" deep down he prayed that her answer would be no, or else he would risk making a complete fool of himself.

"No Michael, there isn't anyone else, I just need a little bit more time before I decide to get back with you, I'm not jumping into anything," Nicole sighed.

"Ok you don't have to, but please just allow me this one thing," Michael grabbed Nicole by the hand yet again, and sat her down on the couch, so he could kneel before her.

"Michael what are y-"

"Just listen to what I have to say, please?" Michael reached into his pants pocket and pulled out a little black box. He opened it, revealing a white diamond encrusted ring.

Nicole's eyes stretched in surprise, "M-Michael w-what is that?" she asked, breathlessly.

"It's an engagement ring Nicole. Now before you ask me if I'm sure I want to do this, I am. I thought about you the entire time I was away, and I am very certain that you're the only woman I want to be with. So, Nicole Denise James, will you please marry me?" Michael managed to say all in one breath.

"M-Marriage? Michael I don't know about this, I mean are you sure you want to take that step," we're both still so young," Nicole stressed.

Michael rolled his eyes, "you're nineteen and I'm twenty years old, we're not that young. And I know that, to some people I may not know what I'm talking about, and you know something? They might be right. But I don't care about that, I know in my heart that you're the one for me."

Nicole's heart was beating so fast, she could practically hear it in her ears, "Michael, what about our parents? If they find out about this, they will be highly upset, especially Joseph, do you have any idea what he would do if he found about this?" she rambled on.

Michael sighed and stood to his feet, "you know what Nicole, I'm sick and tired of other people always trying to tell me what I should and should not do with my life, especially Joseph! I don't care about what he or anybody esle thinks anymore! I want to do this," he said adamantly, he was going to stand his ground this time, once and for all.

"This is the only thing that I have control over in my life, and I'm taking it. I probably sound crazy to you right now, but I don't care I know I want to marry you," Michael turned to eye Nicole, who stood like a deer caught in headlights.

She was completely speechless and still hadn't found any words to say yet, so she kept quiet.

Michael slumped his shoulders and frowned, "I-I'm sorry, I was so caught up in my own feelings, that I forgot to ask you about yours. That was really selfish of me and I'm sorry, besides I forgot that you were in college now and i can't expect you to just throw all of that away for me." he put the box back in his pants, before heading to the front door.

He was so embarrassed from everything that'd just happened, that he couldn't even speak.

Watching Michael beginning to walk out of that door, cause something inside of Nicole to will herself to move, "Michael please wait! W-Would it be crazy i-if I said, that I wanted to marry you too," she finally said, tears now clouding her vision.

Michael's eyes widened and he turned on his heels, "you will? You will?"

A single tear fell from Nicole's eyes and she nodded, "yes Michael, I'll marry you."

Michael ran over to Nicole and swooped her up in his arms, before spinning her aound in excitement, "I love you so much baby."

"I love you too Michael," Nicole cried.

Michael placed her back down on the floor, and pulled the box back out of his pocket. He took the ring out of the box and happily slipped it onto Nicole's ring finger.

"Michael it is so beautiful," Nicole cooed, as she rose her hand in the air, to get a better look at it.

"And it was meant just for you," he said sincerely.

"Thank you so much for this," Nicole turned and wrapped her arms tightly around Michael's neck and kissed him softly on the lips.

"I'll go to the ends of the Earth for you, if it means making you happy Nicole," Michael said, genuinely.

"I'm happy to hear that, because now we're going to have to figure out a way to explain this to both of our parents," Nicole teased, while flashing her hand playfully in Michael's face.

"Oh yeah, about that," Michael laughed nervously.

"Yeah about that! Don't think you're just going to get off easily mister, this is only the beginning," Nicole laughed.

***

Now that Michael and Nicole were engaged, Nicole was trying to hide it from her parents as best she could. But with the big ring, that now adorned her finger, made it all the more difficult for her.

The fact that she was getting married still hadn't quite set in, and it all seemed so surreal to her. However, every time she glanced down at her finger, she knew that she would one day become Mrs. Michael Jackson.

The thought of it all was so exciting and invigorating, but she still hadn't figured out on how she was going to break the news to her parents.

Michael wasn't of much help these days, because he'd suddenly just become so busy, and every time she wanted to discuss the situation, he'd always manage to find a way out of it.

With The Wiz finally being released to the public, and him now being back into the studio, Nicole was the only one really concerned with making wedding plans, but she was fine with that, she was going to use that as a nice distraction to take her mind off of Michael's absence.

"Nicole baby, where you going?" Denise questioned, as she exited her bedroom. Nicole was on her way out of the door, she tried her best to keep quiet and out of the way, but that failed.

"I was just heading to Michael's house," Nicole turned to the side, so Denise wouldn't see her hand.

"Oh ok baby, well be safe and make sure you're home before dinner alright?"

"I will mother see you later!" Nicole yelled lastly, before exiting through the front door.

Once Nicole made it to Michael's house, she immediately made a beeline to the stairs.

Latoya, who was sitting on the couch painting her fingernails, smiled sweetly at Nicole, "hey Nikki, you here to see Michael?"

"Yeah, he's in his room right?"

"You know he is," Latoya said, with a roll of her eyes.

Nicole giggled before replying, "alright Toya, see you around!" she called out, before running up the stairs.

When she reached Michael's room, she burst through the door, to find him lying in his bed on his stomach, while writing in a notepad.

She kicked her shoes off before climbing inside of the bed, "hey! What are you writing?" she asked nosily, and placed her chin on the back of his shoulder, so she could get a better look at the notepad.

Michael peeked over his shoulder at Nicole, "nothing really, it's just a few songs that I'm writing, but it's nothing important," he said, while pressing the notepad to his chest.

Nicole raised her eyebrows at Michael, "mhm ok," she didn't believe him for one minute, but she was going to let the situation go, for now anyway.

"Well, look what I got!" she exclaimed, as she flashed a bridal magazine in his face.

"What is that?" Michael turned around and shifted so Nicole could lean on him, her back against his chest.

Nicole brung her knees up to her chest, and placed the magazine on her knees, "it's a bridal book, they have a lot of beautiful wedding dresses in here that I wanted you to see," she explained, excitedly.

"Ooo! Like this one!" Nicole pointed to a long white strapless dress, that wrapped around the waist in diamond beads.

"Ooo that's really beautiful, how much is it?" Michael mocked, earning a frown from Nicole.

She turned around to face him and lowered her eyebrows, "does it really matter?"

"It does if I'm paying for it," Michael snatched the magazine away from Nicole, and brung it closer, pretending as if he were examining the price.

Nicole rolled her eyes and sucked her teeth, "Michael!" she exclaimed, and smacked him hard in the chest.

"i'm only joking! I'm only joking!" Michael laughed, and pulled Nicole into a tight hug.

"Yeah well, for your sake you'd better be!" Nicole warned jokingly, as Michael kissed her lovingly on the cheek repeatedly.

Chapter End Notes:

Finally updated for you all!

So Michael and Nicole are back together again, but it looks like for good this time.

What do you guys think? Did she take him back too early or he deserves the second chance?

Things are starting to take a turn for the better, but we all know that can't last especially if Joseph finds out!

Please remember to leave a review your comments always matters. Enjoy!