- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for such a long wait. I had serious writer's block. Hope you like it :)

 

"Michael, we have everything ready for your tour. Now  all you have to do is sign some papers on which hospitals you will be visiting," said Michael's assistant Linda. 

 

"Okay, but, I would like to go to a children's hospital around California before I go to Europe. Can you make that happen?"

 

"Of course sir," she said, scribbling a few notes down on a notepad. "Would you like to read over these papers while I look for a children's hospital for you?"

 

"I would be delighted to," he said with a smile. Michael took the papers from her and they parted ways. He walked into his office and began to carefully read over the papers. You never know what some people will do or say just to bring you down for an uplifting in their own self worth. Michael knew how careful he had to be when it came to certain  press. They build you up just to tear you down...

 

**********

 

Diane and Sedrick were sitting in the waiting room. Sedrick had his arm around his baby sister, showing support and sympathy, quietly whispering that everything would be alright. Diane's heart was beating a mile a minute. But everything was not going to be alright; her daughter was found unconscious and has now been admitted to the hospital and is yet to wake up. Diane was no home specialist but this is not "alright".   You could see the streaks of old, dried up tears and the path of new, fresh ones on her face. She was silently praying and hoping that everything would he okay. She was wishing that everything would be how it used to be. She wished she would have stopped her husband from leaving. She wished that her family was not so torn and that they were one big happy, caring and loving family. 

 

Worst case scenarios were racing through her mind. The thoughts were clouding her mind with the worst, she needed to calm her mind.

 Diane prayed:

 

'Please God, don't let me loose my one and only baby girl. I need her so much. She is my life, without her I will loose my purpose in life. I will loose motivation to go on. Please God... Please..."

 

"Hey Diane, I'm going to the cafeteria to get some coffee, you want some," asked Sedrick. 

 

She shook her head no with a faint smile and he left. Soon he disappeared into the long hall....

 

A few moments later, a doctor with a tired and distraught face walked over to Diane. "Hello Ms. Bishop," he said with one of those sad smiles that you use when you're about to tell bad news, " can I see you in my office?"She could see the look of sympathy on his aged face.

 

She turned to him as they walked, "Dr. Jones, h-how is Chance?" Diane's breathing became shallow and a lump started to form in her throat. Her heart was beating fast; too fast...

 

He didn't answer, he simply sighed. This aggravated Diane because she wanted to know the condition of her daughter. When they got to Dr. Jones' office, he asked her if she wanted to sit down but she refused. "I don't want to sit down I just want to know if my daughter is going to be okay!" She began to get angry. 

 

"Ma'am, where you aware that your daughter smokes?"

 

Diane was dumbfounded, "What are you talking about? Chance doesn't smoke. Does she?" 

 

"Yes she did...a lot. She is conscious now but I also have some more news for you...," he trailed off. 

 

"Oh my God, more? What is it?"

 

"Ms. Bishop, your daughter has lung cancer."

 

Diane put her hand on her heart and sat down. "Lung cancer? No, this can't be... Not my Chance. No. No! There has to be a mistake... Well, I did find a cigarette in her laundry but she told me it wasn't hers. I believed her..." Her heart felt like it was being ripped out of het chest and being stomped on yet she could feel every stomp still as a sharp pain. 

 

Her eyes closed, she grabbed her chest and everything went black. She could still hear her shallow breathing but it sounded so loud. She could also hear the faint sound of Dr. Jones calling her name. A moment later, Diane could hear nothing. By this time, she had fainted onto the floor and Dr. Jones called a nurse to put her in a room and get Diane on a monitor, pronto.

 

**********

 

"Chance can you make yourself useful and bring your laundry to the laundry room," Diane teased in a British accent. 

 

"Okay mother dearest," Chance mocked. She squandered around her room to see what she needed washed. She checked her pockets to make sure nothing important was in them. Nothing found. She went downstairs and put her clothes with the other piles of clothes. 

 

A few moments later Diane came up to put the first load in. "Chance! Did you check your pockets!" 

 

"Yes mom!" 

 

Diane smirked and double checked. 'Hmm five pieces of gum, two notes, and fifty cents in change,' she thought, 'wait... what is this! Oh my goodness i-it's a cigarette! What the....' 

 

Diane rushed up the stairs and flung open her daughter's door. "Little girl, you have some explaining to do! What the hell is this?" Diane held up the cigarette.

 

In all her life Chance had heard her mother swear once, this being the first. Her mother was really heated. "Mom, that's a cigarette. I didn't know you smoked," said Chance trying to be smart. 

 

"Chance I am not in the mood for games. This is not mine. I found it in your pocket which you said you checked!"

 

'Damn I am busted. Uh think of something...think..think. Ah ha! Just say it's not mine,' Chance thought. "Well mom, it's not mine." 

 

Diane had a feeling that Chance was lying to her. But she decided to believe her daughter. She let out a sigh and broke the cigarette in half. Diane went down the hall and discarded it in the toilet. When she came back to Chance's room she sighed, "Well wherever it came from, it better not have a habit of showing up in this house."

 

"Yes ma'am"

 

 Diane left the room.

 

Chance let out a relieved sigh and laid on her bed 'That was a close one,' she thought.  

 

**********

 

Chance lay in the hospital bed and sulked in her misery. Why didn't she listen to Nicole or her mother? She knew the consequences. She began to think, 'How did things get this bad? What was I thinking?Hmm, i wasn't thinking.' Everything was silent in the room except for the beeping of the EKG machine and the faint sound of the television on some Looney Tunes cartoons. 

 

Chance looked around and stared at the walls. There was a bulletin board with pretty green letters on the top:

 

Faith Hope California Hospital....

 

Chance let out an exaggerated sigh. A few moments later, the doctor came in. He smiled at her. Maybe it was Chance being in the hospital or something but something about this man seemed familiar. His light brown skin and square jaw reminded her of... Nah, it couldn't be...could it? She shook her thoughts.

 

"Hello Ms. Chance I am Dr. Jones," he greeted, "how are you?"

 

"Uh... I'm  in a hospital bed with IVs in my arm. How do you think I am," she said. 

 

The doctor chuckled slightly, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that sarcastically, I meant in terms of dizziness, fatigue, nausea, headache, vomiting, etc. Any of that?"

 

She shook her head no and looked away crossing her arms.

 

"Can you tell me what happened before you passed out?"

 

"I... Um.. I don't remember...," she mumbled. "Do you know if my mom is here?"

 

"Are you sure?"

 

She nodded yes. 

 

"Your mother is being checked out. She had an anxiety attack but nothing too serious or dangerous."

 

"I have some news to tell you," he said with a sigh.

 

"What is it," she said barely above a whisper.

 

"You have Lung Cancer, Chance."

 

Everything seemed like it was going in slow motion. Her vision became blurred but those were fresh tears forming. Her heart ached. She whimpered as the hot tears rolled down her cheeks. Dr. Jones himself wanted to hug her and tell her that everything would be alright. But he couldn't. He couldn't reveal who he truly was. He was Richard Jones. 

 

 

 

He was Chance's father.

 

Chapter End Notes:

I want to thank all the people who read my story. Also I would appreciate reviews.