- Text Size +

As my Dad walked out the door waving goodbye to Michael and stopping to give me a hug, I felt a lingering sensation that I had just lied to him. I hadn’t though – I’d just evaded the truth. I guess I kept having a flickering thought of Gaby all morning and he’d picked up on my half-quiet, half-not attitude. He asked me twice if everything was alright, and I’d lied and said it was.

 

I guess there was a part of me that felt to blame for what was going on. I knew logically as Michael had assured me, I’d done everything that I could for her, but the accusations of her parents kept swimming around my head and I almost felt ashamed. Michael at one point, had asked me if I wanted him to leave to give me some time to tell my Dad, I had too quickly replied for him to stay. Michael was proving to be a wonderful distraction and more than anything else, his comfort seemed to be helping.

 

“See you on Friday, princess.” My Dad told me, looking me in the eye. I almost felt guilty. I smiled at him and reached out to hug him. He hugged me tighter than usual and held on for longer. “I love you.” He told me.

 

“I love you too.” I replied as we broke our embrace. I kissed his cheek. I felt a genuine smile fall across my lips as I watched him walk down the hall to leave my building. He stopped at the stairwell and waved at me and blew me a kiss. “Bye Dad.”

 

I closed the door behind me and turned to Michael. I tried to give him a smile but I knew he was wondering why it was I’d kept up the charade all morning.

 

“Don’t…” I warned him as he went to open my mouth. “I know what you’re going to say and I don’t want to talk about it.”

 

Michael almost laughed. “What? I was just going to ask where you kept the dish washing detergent." He gave me a curious look. I felt like a dick for assuming he knew what I was thinking. When he realized that I was rather uptight he joined me in the family room.  “Jade, what’s up?”

 

“Nothing.” I replied falling in to the couch like a slob. 

 

He sank down beside me. “Liar pants on fire.”

 

I laughed, only Michael could say some stupid shit like that and get away with it.

 

“Worried about Gaby?” He asked me. I gave a half-shrug and a nod at the same time. I felt his arm sliding around my shoulders. “Don’t you be giving a thought to her whacked out Mom, okay? She’s grieving. She’s looking for someone to blame, and that’s not your fault.”

 

“I know.” I sighed. “I just… I dunno… I wanted to tell my Dad… but there’s a part of me that wants to keep him protected, you know, I don’t want him to know anything is upsetting me. It’d just upset him too.” I explained feeling a bit helpless and hopeless.

 

Michael didn’t really know what to say to that. “I’d tell you not to keep stuff from your family, but I do the same thing. They’d be shocked if they knew half the stuff that went on in my world.” He gave a quiet little chuckle. “But Jade, your Dad loves you so much. I can see that, and maybe he might get a bit worried, but he seems like he’d be the most fantastic support out there.”

 

I smiled. Everything had gone so well between Michael and my Dad. By the end of the morning they were joking with each other and were getting along so well. I knew that my Dad liked him so much and that meant everything to me. It was almost like affirmation that I was allowed to give my heart to Michael. Dad was such an amazing judge of character. I remembered how he’d be pleasant to Aaron, which made me think he liked him, but the way he had built an instant rapport with Michael made me see that he truly did like him.

 

“You’re right.” I finally relented.

 

Michael smiled at me. I nestled my head against his shoulder and we both sat a bit dumbly, as if thinking over the morning.

 

“My Dad likes you.” I informed him. “I could tell.”

 

“You think?” He asked. I was aware that Michael was extremely self-conscious and he told me that he was shy once before, but I didn’t really believe it. I thought more that he was worried about what people were thinking of him, more than being shy. He had trouble making conversation at first, but my Dad was actually very good at it, so in the end, Michael was very talkative.

 

I nodded, looking up at him. “He did. I could tell. He was telling you all his silly jokes and kept referring to you as my boyfriend, he wouldn’t have done that if he didn’t like you. He would have referred to you as ….” I paused thinking, “I don’t know… a very, very distant friend…”

 

Michael laughed. “I’m honored, Jade. Your Dad is really, really nice… Too bad he probably knows me a whole lot better than he wished to.”

 

We both laughed and I watched his face grow a bit red. “Something else is on my mind…” I trailed off. I sat up straight, lifting my head from his shoulder and looked at him.

 

“What is it?” He wondered, he looked me in the eye and I guess he knew it was something to do with what had gone on the night before.

 

Trust me, I didn’t regret a thing. There was not one moment where I regretted kissing him. I got a bit worried about my self-restraint when things heated up, but man… It had been a really long time since I’d let a guy kiss me like that and he was so gentle with me and handled me with such a tenderness that I’d never experienced. The fact that he’d stopped the second that he realized he was getting too far in to it, impressed me completely.

 

I was glad that he’d made the move to stop things.

 

“You and I… and what happened last night.” I blurted out. He adopted that concerned look he seemed to so often get.

 

“It shouldn’t have got that far, I’m sorry.” He apologized, thinking that I was going to tell him I’d had a problem with it.

 

I shook my head and waved my hand. “No… it’s fine.” I paused and smiled shyly, “I liked it.”

 

A sneaky smile spread across Michael’s mouth and made its way in to his beautiful grin. I felt my own cheeks blushing. I felt a bit silly, but the feeling went away. “Well… what about it then?”

 

I shrugged, “What are we doing, Michael? I mean…” I didn’t really know how to word it. I didn’t want to tell him, “I wanna fall in love with you, I want you to be my boyfriend, I want to be your girlfriend- I want us to be together.” I just couldn’t do that shit, I wasn’t forward enough.

 

Michael looked as though he suddenly had an idea. With a smug smile he took my hands. “I was wonderin’ if you’d be my girl.”

 

I burst out laughing. I knew exactly what he was doing. I sighed, “Yes.”

 

“There’s somethin’ I have to tell you. I’m not like other guys.” He began reciting his stupid Thriller video. I didn’t really know why, he was just being a goof, but it was completely funny. He was trying hard not to laugh at his own cheese.

 

“I know that Michael that’s why I love you.” I dutifully supplied. We both laughed together. “You’re a doofus.” I informed him, flicking his ear lightly with my fingers.

 

He had a huge grin. “I’m sorry… I ruined the moment, didn’t I?”

 

I rolled my eyes playfully. “Yeah, Jackson.”

 

“Anyway…” He sighed, now that we had taken the seriousness and tension away from the subject, he seemed to be building his courage to say something. “I told you last night that whatever you want is fine by me. But, if you wanted to know what I want, I’ll be happy to share that without you having to feel any pressure.”

 

I nodded, “Sure… tell me.”

 

“I want you to be my girlfriend. I like you so much, Jade… I want you to throw away every insecurity you have ever had, and just show me every angle of the uninhibited you…” He told me seriously. I felt my hand slipping in to his. I wanted to look away from his eyes but as always they magnetized my gaze. “I want to spend a lot of time with you… as much as I can. I even…” He paused, and I felt something big coming. “I even want you to let me take you to London with me.”

 

I widened my eyes, “Pardon me?”

 

He looked down at my hand in his and stroked my palm softly with his thumb. “I dunno… maybe it’s a silly idea, but… I think it’d be nice to have you come along with me… You could see what I see… I could take you places, show you an amazing time.”

 

I felt myself breaking in to a grin. That was a damn friggin’ commitment and a half. “Michael, are you a hundred percent sure that you didn’t bump your head or something?”

 

He smiled and shook his head. “One hundred percent sure.” He shrugged, “I guess I just like you a lot. You once asked what it is that I liked about you, and I couldn’t articulate it…” He made eye contact again and reached up to smooth my cheek with the exterior of his hand. That man just had me tingling all over with excitement. “Now I can…” He informed me, “I love your company. You make me laugh and you are so smart and witty… and you treat me like I’m a person and don’t take any shit from me…”

 

I laughed at his curse word as I always felt a bit shocked whenever I heard it from his mouth, God knows why. I was a bit embarrassed too. I didn’t really know where to look.

 

“And I know you wouldn’t ever see it, cause you’re way too critical of yourself, but you’re absolutely gorgeous to me, and you’re one of the most big-hearted people I’ve ever met, you just lock it away.”

 

I felt a smile growing. “Is that enough?” He asked.

 

I laughed to relieve some of the intensity that I felt between us. I nodded. “I don’t know what to say…” I told him. His eyes were sparkling with happiness, and I’m sure mine were too.

 

“Say what’s on your mind…” He informed me. Well. I couldn’t go wrong with that, now could I? I thought for a few moments and just gave a modest shrug. I didn’t know how to respond to his compliment and I knew this was going to be much like all the other times that he had paid them to me. They would startle or render me speechless. His kindness always stunned me so much so that I’d let the moment pass without even being able to work up a meek, thank you.

 

Man, I was an asshole.

 

I grappled for words to verify my feelings to him, but they were so hard to come across. Well, that’s not entirely true. I knew exactly what I wanted to say, but was too scared to say it. I didn’t really talk so much about my feelings, it was pretty much a foreign concept to me, so this was going to be a hurdle.

 

His eyes were sweeping over me, surveying my expression for any hint of what I was about to say, showing his obvious anticipation.

 

I avoided his eyes. It was so silly, and it should have been so easy, but it really wasn’t. I knew he was waiting for something profound from me since I was taking so long to bloody answer him, so the pressure was already on.

 

I always associated sharing feelings with shame and embarrassment. I didn’t know if I would ever win back the child-like and innocent ability to tell another person everything that was burning in my soul. Instead, when people expected emotion from me, I’d freeze up. I said heartless things, I turned in to a bitch – or sometimes it was worse, sometimes my silence stung more than words ever could.

 

I remembered the last time I had ever shared any feelings with anyone. It was during summer and I was 13. Dad took me to Lake Tahoe so as we could spend some time together. At that time, he and Mom weren’t half as close as they were now. I remembered going through that period feeling depressed and misunderstood. I couldn’t really articulate it, but it was just part of adolescence. I spent a lot of time crying when I was at home. My Mom was having problems making rent and so she was working two jobs, which left me alone at home more often than not. I felt so alone, that if I didn’t exist, that no one would care.

 

I made the mistake of sharing that with my Dad. He’d been so upset. I had explained to him that Mom was never home, that there was no food, that I had actually resorted to eating spoonfuls of applesauce from an almost-expired jar in the fridge. He seemed shocked and concerned for me, but that still didn’t stop me. I guess in a way I resented my Mom for not being able to provide, for trying to make me keep it a secret from Dad. When my parents were together, we always had nice things. My Dad made a comfortable income, and Mom worked part-time and was always around. I told my Dad about the way the other kids treated me at school and I think I even articulated that I was lonely. And then I dropped the big one.

 

I think if I didn’t exist, everyone would be just better off.

 

Apparently my Dad disagreed. So much, so, in fact, that it induced tears from both of us. I didn’t realize in that moment just how heavy an impact those words must have had on him, but to me it was just cold, honest truth. The rest of the trip was filled with Dad suffocating me with affection and giving me opportunity and encouragement to share my feelings, which I’d already justly done.

 

I just learned that in most cases, the truth hurts and usually it was just better to not say anything at all. And from my experiences with Aaron, I associated sharing affectionate words and declarations of love with emotional abuse and blackmail and stone-hearted tears.

 

I wanted to cover my eyes with my hands like a 5 year old and tell him how I felt so as I didn’t have to watch his reaction. It was almost like I expected him to point and laugh at me for anything I might say. I was so fuckin’ dumb.

 

“You’re a sweetheart.” I said finally after a minute.

 

He rose both of his eyebrows and widened his eyes and gave a tight smile. “I’m a sweet heart? Jade? That’s all you’re giving me? I want to know how you feel about this….whatever you want to call it.”

 

I felt like such a schmuck, and was desperate to not make myself look like the asshole that I felt like. “I’m sorry.” I gave an awkward chuckle. I touched the exterior of his hand lightly. It was resting on his thigh. “I want to say something more but…” I paused and realized it was time to be honest about it. “I’m bad with words, Michael… I really am… I suck at this whole… sharing feelings thing. You’re really good at it, so it makes me feel worse that I can’t articulate what I want to tell you in return.”

 

I could feel my hands shaking a little bit. His expression softened and his smile loosened up. “Don’t feel bad.” He replied. I guess he was relieved to find my feelings weren’t so… casual. “Whatever happens, I want us to take things slow. I just want to make sure that the feelings I have for you, measure up to the same as your feelings for me.”

 

“They do.” I said. At least I could tell him that much with certainty. I looked around for something that I could fix my attention to. I took his hand in mine and entwined our fingers. His hands were large and warm and so hard as if he’d been working construction for years.

 

Finally I just closed my eyes. I knew how silly it would have looked, but I didn’t care. It was important to me to just be honest with him as he had done with me. I could feel his thumb caressing my hand, and already my heart was melting.

 

“I want to be your girlfriend.” I blurted out. “I need you to be patient with me though.” I told him, opening my eyes. He was smiling still. I felt a little more confident after breaking my own shield of ice.

 

“I guess I’m just worried that I’m going to push and pull you a bit.” I tried to explain. “The bigger part of me wants you to be close to me, I want to let myself fall in love with you.” I added gently.

 

He clung to my every word and watched them leave my mouth. His expression turned a little more serious, but still there was the hint of the smile.

 

“There’s something inside me though, that’s forever telling me to stay aware and keep wary of you, to keep my arms length at all times because of what’s happened in the past.”

 

He nodded with understanding.

 

“So… I need you to know that I might not be the best girlfriend—I might question things, act unfair now and then… but I feel like the past is something that I can let go of if I step slowly and carefully.”

 

I realized that no guy wanted to hear that a prospective girlfriend was loaded with more emotional baggage than she knew what to do with, but I really felt that I had to be honest about it.

 

“We have all the time in the world, Jade.” He replied simply. “I don’t have any expectations of you. I promise I’ll do my best to re-assure you and not rush anything. While we’re being honest, though….” He started, “Maybe there’s a few things that I should make you aware of.”

 

I was proud of our communication. Actually, proud of myself for being able to communicate my fears to him. I was all ears.

 

“You know my career is obviously a pretty huge thing in my life. It’s a day job and a half to say the least. It’s a massive commitment. Sometimes I can be called at 5am and be told to be in another country the following day. It gets really crazy. There’s fans, there’s hangers-on, there’s so many people involved in my life every day—and I need someone to be understanding and to place their trust in me.”

 

I felt intimidated by the brief job description. I didn’t ever think that he’d be an unfaithful boyfriend, though, so I wasn’t too worried about that. “There will be times when I might be away for long periods of time, weeks, sometimes months – but I’d always do my best to have you with me as frequently as you could allow yourself to be.”

 

“I think we should take it step-by-step, we don’t have to think about that all now.” I said, not wanting us to get too far ahead of ourselves, but I was dearly glad that he was laying it all out for me.

 

“Good idea.” He nodded. “I’m glad we can be honest with each other though, with good and the bad things.”

 

I was so thankful to have him at that moment. So kind and understanding and everything that I had ever looked for in a man.

 

**

 

“I should go.” Michael announced.

 

I gave him a weak smile. I definitely didn’t want him to leave, but I understood that there were obligations for him to fulfill. I knew it sounded so juvenile but I wanted just to relax with him and make out.

 

“So what’s on the agenda for today?” I asked.

 

He gave a bit of a non-committal shrug. “Go home and see who’s sweating me on my answering machine.” He chuckled.

 

I managed a laugh, “Always the wanted man.” I remarked.

 

He chuckled again. I could tell there was reluctance on his part to leave me. “Are you gonna go try to see Gabrielle today?” He asked me gently. I knew he’d probably wanted to ask it for some time, but was putting it off. We had skirted around the issue all morning, and pretended it wasn’t happening.

 

I liked it much better that way. Ignorance was always bliss, wasn’t it?

 

To have been completely honest, I was pushing it as far to the back of my mind as I possibly could. I didn’t want to think about her, because the emotions that filled my heart whenever she came to mind was something that overwhelmed me, and I wasn’t exactly sure how to deal with it.

 

I knew I should have probably stayed away. I’d have to call the hospital to make sure her parents weren’t around if I wanted to visit. Realistically though, I knew the chances of her parents leaving her side at all were very slim.

 

I finally shrugged to Michael’s question. “I don’t know. I don’t wanna upset her Mom again.”

 

He nodded with understanding and as if reading my mind he continued, “Maybe you should just call the hospital and find out if her parents are about.”

 

“Yeah…” my voice trailed off… “It’s just that…” I paused and tried to find the right words that would aptly convey how I felt. “I guess it’s just me being selfish, but.” I took a deep breath and remembered while looking in to his beautiful, expectant eyes, that I could tell him anything. “It really traumatizes me to see her as she is.”

 

The words left my mouth pretty quietly. I knew he truly understood. His hand slipped into my own and his long slender fingers entwined around mine. He gave my hand a squeeze. That was one of the things that I loved about him, his physical and verbal comfort and affection.

 

“That’s a really normal feeling, Jade, don’t be so hard on yourself – that’s not being selfish at all.”

 

“Is it selfish of me to tell you that I don’t want you to go home?” I asked in a small voice, looking up at him with a coy look. I wasn’t trying to flirt, nor was I trying to be cute. I really didn’t want him to go home.

 

“Sweetheart,” He smiled, “If that’s selfish then I’m also guilty. I don’t want to go either, but I know I should.” He sighed. “What if you were to come to my place tonight?”

 

I couldn’t say no. I wanted to, but couldn’t. “What will we do?” I asked, pretending that I actually had to consider the invitation for a moment.

 

He shrugged, “Hang out? Watch TV?” He suggested before realizing how unexciting they were, “I never promised that I was spontaneous or interesting…”

 

I smiled up at his shining eyes. I pushed those gorgeous curls that framed the perfect outline of his face, out of his eyes. It felt so dumb to admit, but even watching TV with him felt like the most entertaining and interesting activity.

 

I knew that when I was with him I was adored, I was safe and that my heart was free. I wondered if that was selfish of me, to enjoy him just because he enjoyed me. Of course, he was such a wonderful man, though, in his own right.

 

I wasn’t about to give my cards away too early with him though. I didn’t think it would be wise to tell him or show him just how much I liked him just yet. He knew enough for now. There would be plenty of time for that later.

 

“We could order dinner unless you’d like me to cook again—“ He laughed, knowing that him cooking for me was certainly not something that I’d likely ask him to do for me again.

 

“No thank you.” I widened my eyes jokingly to emphasis the disaster of his first attempt. “But I guess I could make the time to see you later.”

 

Michael smiled slyly, “Twist your arm, did I?” He joked. He knew how I was playing, he wasn’t stupid. I didn’t realize it at the time, but I was so fuckin’ transparent. “That’ll be something to look forward to, then.” He remarked. “Are you working tomorrow?”

 

I knew what he was doing. He was trying to prolong the time ‘til his departure. I nodded. “Yeah, I took yesterday off, obviously, but I’m rostered on for the next week.”

 

Our idle chatter was interrupted by a knock at the door. Michael and I exchanged questioning looks. I wondered who it could be. He stood up and moved away from the line of vision of the doorway. Anyone that looked in to my door would be able to see him sitting on the couch.

 

“Just a sec.” I excused myself, thinking that it couldn’t be anyone of any importance.

 

Apparently I was wrong.

 

I came face-to-face with two male police officers. Clearly, I was shocked.

 

“Hi.” One of them greeted me. They seemed neither friendly or unfriendly, just interested in why they were there. One of the officers was lanky and tall and looked stern. The other was heavy-set and sported a well-kept mustache. I felt my stomach sinking. I couldn’t imagine what they had come to my door for. Maybe it was some mistake.

 

“How can I help you?” I asked, then felt extremely stupid. It should have been them telling me why they were there. I threw a worried glance to Michael, conveying my absolute bewilderment.

 

“I’m officer Scott Reynolds and this is my partner Arthur Goldman.” The tall, stern one introduced himself. “We are looking to speak to Jade Reily.”

 

“That’s me.” I murmured. I could feel Michael’s presence lingering closer.

 

“Could we perhaps come inside to have a few words with you about your friend, Gabrielle Mannings?” He asked.

 

I nodded dumbly and opened the door. Stupid childish thoughts scattered through my mind. Was I in trouble? Was there anything illegal in what I’d done, getting Gaby to the ambulance, or Lord, what if Gaby’s Mom made something up in the height of her hysteria?

 

Michael came out of hiding and absolutely floored the officers. I could tell that they were both suitably impressed by his being there, but were trying to stifle their excitement for the sake of professionalism. Neither said a word, but their facial expressions told me a lot.

 

“What’s going on?” he asked, placing his hands protectively upon my shoulders.

 

“We’re here to get some answers to some questions regarding Gabrielle Mannings. It’s nothing too serious.” Officer Goldman spoke up, stammering just a little bit.

 

“Please, sit down.” I suggested, finding my voice again. They both took a seat, and I did too. Michael stood behind me, almost as though he was overseeing things as my protector.

 

The officers seemed a whole lot more pleasant now that he’d shown his face. I almost wanted to laugh at how Michael’s fame changed people’s behavior. I’d have bet that it was a help but also a hinderance.

 

“Gabrielle Mannings was found in her apartment unconscious by you?” He turned his attention to me.

 

I nodded, remembering the state that I had found her in. I could tell my expression was turning in to a wince. My throat dried up and I could feel my hands growing a little shaky.

 

“We’ve spoken with her mother and understand that you were with Gabrielle that night.”

 

I shook my head, feeling angered that Gaby’s Mom had lied or just assumed something that surely wasn’t the case. “No. That isn’t true.” I contradicted him. “I got a call from Gaby’s friend… or boyfriend, I assume, I don’t really know.” I began, “and they said she was having an overdose and needed help. She was in trouble or something, and I told them to call the paramedics.” I felt myself getting worked up all over again. I was so furious at all the people that I’d met, her alleged friends, for their own cowardice, leaving her alone in her drug-fucked state. “I wasn’t even entirely sure that they would call the paramedics themselves because they didn’t want to get in to trouble. I basically drove right to her apartment because I didn’t trust them. They had all bailed by the time I arrived.”

 

I could feel my throat tightening as tears glistened in my eyes. Michael rubbed my shoulders as my voice strained, “Her Mom is blaming me, but all I did was put in the call to the paramedics.” I wiped my eyes. “I don’t do drugs. I never have.” I added.

 

Michael took a seat beside me as the officers furiously took notes. He slid a thin arm around my shoulder. “Jade was with me that entire night anyway, and I went home just after midnight.”

 

They seemed to have no problem believing me.

 

“Did you have any prior knowledge of any previous drug use? Or did she ever mention anything about taking anything to you?” Reynolds asked me.

 

I shook my head slowly. “Not really. I suspected that maybe she used some kind of party pills or something now or then, and she mentioned pot once or twice, but I don’t know…I don’t think she had a problem.” It was only a half-truth. To me, any drug usage was a problem, and I had noticed a change in her personality, but I didn’t know for sure it was from drugs, it was just a suspicion.

 

“Gabrielle may be my best friend but she knows that I don’t like that kind of thing, so I don’t think she would have ever told me anyway, not unless she was in some kind of trouble.” I added.

 

The doctors found traces of heroin in her blood, but an unidentified substance was also found. She also has a few injuries…” One of the officers began. I blinked hard. “She was sustained abrasions that were fresh when she was brought in to the E.R. We suspect that she was possibly drugged and raped.”

 

I gasped. I looked at Michael, he was deeply concerned. My eyes spilled over with tears. There was a tiny little ounce of relief though, that she hadn’t let herself fall in to that kind of state on her own. I took my face in my hands and breathed a soft sob of tears. It was all too much to take.

 

“Jade…” The officer pressed me, “I know this isn’t an easy time for you, and we empathize.” Goldman said gently, “But we need to know if you moved Jade before the paramedics came?”

 

I thought of her lying in the middle of the carpet, out of it. I shook my head. “She was on the living room floor.” I replied once I had composed my voice.

 

“What we need from you are the names of anyone you know who spends time with Gabrielle. Friends, boyfriends, acquaintences, anyone.”

 

I couldn’t get my thoughts to stop zipping around long enough to even give them a single name. I shook my head and shrugged, “I can’t think.”

 

The officer pulled his card from his pocket and slid it across the table. Michael took the card for me. “She might need some time.” He supplied for me.

 

The officer nodded with understanding. “That’s fine. It’s just that Gabrielle isn’t talking to us at the moment, and even when the doctors inform us that she’s more up to it, she might not want to— So we’re relying on her friends for now.”

 

My heart stopped a beat, but I tried not to get my hopes up.

 

“What do you mean by ‘she isn’t talking’?” Michael asked the officer as if reading my mind.

 

“She woke up from her coma early this morning, but she’s unable to talk to anyone still.”

 

“She woke up?!” I exclaimed. Both officers glanced at me blankly as if I should have known. “Last night, I knew she could tell I was there!” I almost shouted at poor Michael. Through my tears, I was showing such a relieved expression.

 

“Her mother won’t let me see her, she thinks I had everything to do with this!” I told the officers as if to explain, “Maybe I could get some information from her, if I was able to talk to her.” I wondered if she was physically and mentally okay. I knew sometimes coma’s left people brain damaged. I really hoped that Gaby would recover.

 

I exchanged a hopeful glance with Michael.

 

“We could arrange for you to see her, I’m sure.” Officer Reynold’s told me thoughtfully. “We’ll definitely be in touch, and if you can think of anyone, please call us immediately.

 

Michael saw the officers out while I remained at the table. My head was spinning while I tried to process what had just happened. For some sick reason I felt consoled that she hadn’t OD’d on her own accord. At least she wasn’t excessively using. On the flip-side though, I wasn’t sure how I could handle the idea of something as terrible as rape happening to my beautiful friend. I abhorred nothing more than the thought of a woman’s dignity and intimacy being physically stripped away from her. The thought repulsed me and the idea of it happening to someone I knew so well pained me.

 

Michael returned back a few minutes later as I was rising up from the dining chair and didn’t say anything. He engulfed me in a warm hug to console me of all the burdens that were impressing upon my heart.