- Text Size +

June 1st ,1986

I open to my eyes to a brand new day & a brand new month, yawning quietly, laying right next to my wonderful boyfriend Aiden. I caress his face admiring him & his facial features, his hair & chest. He had black hair, blue eyes, white skin tone, nice big muscles & oh so sexy. But behind the whole 'macho boy' look he has such a pure heart, & that's why I love him. We've been together since Freshmen year of high school back in 1981, I was 13 years old & he was 14. I was intimated of everyone because I was the youngest in the whole school but that didn't matter to him. He came to me & talked to me, defended me despite of what his friends would think & stuck beside me through everything. I love him so much & I know he loves me too.

I saw his eyes awaken, as I smiled & told him.

"Good Morning Gorgeous."

"Good morning beautiful, how long have you been laying here admiring my looks?"

I giggled & answered "Probably an hour. You are such a handsome man."

"Thank you so much dear."

We leaned in for a short kiss & I got up off the bed, headed for to the bathroom to brush my teeth, & wash my face. Then I just went back into the hotel room, taking out my luggage, looking for some clothes to wear today. Aiden hugs me from behind, & asks

"So, baby, excited for tonight?"

"More like disappointed, Aiden."

"Why?"

"Because, I know what's going to happen, Quincy is going to decline me like every other producer has. I don't know why were still in LA anymore, fighting for me to become the famous singer I will never be. Were just wasting money & my mom is starting to worry about me & why am I here."

"Baby, baby, don't say that! I understand your frustrated & tired of getting let down, but it's all worth the try. How would you feel, if you didn't give making your dreams come true a try? Even if it doesn't work out for you, at least you can say you can say you tried, your hardest to make it. Instead of not trying at all"

"I guess…."

"Honey, your auditioning in front Quincy Jones. Girl you know that man knows true talent."

"Well true…"

"Don't worry. I know so many other recording labels have declined you, but I think this is it."

"Well, thank you for the support. I really appreciate it."

"Your welcome, I'm going to go down in the lobby & buy breakfast for the both of us. Okay?"

"Okay."

We hugged & he got up from the floor & left the hotel room. As I went through my luggage's looking for clothes.

I think I should be more optimistic about tonight. What Aiden said was very true. But I'm just wondering what about all the other record labels, that I auditioned for, thought about me to the fact that they declined me from being a part of their label? Was it that I am ugly? Was it that I am 17 years old & nobody wants a child on their record label? Was it that I am too tall? I'm 5"10, most women are "5"4" - "5"7". Maybe my height intimidates people. Maybe it was that I look too innocent? Or maybe it was my name, Kitty Genovese it is. No one wants someone named after a feline & a girl who was stabbed to death & no one cared enough to get the police on their label? Maybe it was that. But I guess names shouldn't matter should they? Nope. But I'll see if it matters tonight.

**hours later**

I'm walking towards Quincy's studio, & I knock on his door, I hear talking inside there, I hear Quincy's voice & one other man with one very familiar voice. But who ever it is, I can't let that person ruin this huge opportunity. It's either now or never.

"Come in!" I hear one of the male voices in there call out

I walk in, & I see, Quincy Jones sitting in a chair, discussing some things, with a man whom I can't really see who he is since his back is turned to me.

"Hello there!" Quincy greets me from his chair

"Hi!" I replied shyly. I'm getting quite anxious as the seconds keep passing.

The young man turns around & gets out of his chair & this guy happens to be no other then Michael Jackson. He walks up to me & takes his hand out to me

"Hello, I'm Michael, & you are?"

He smiled at me & we shook hands. I didn't feel nervous or anything I mean, Goodness, Michael Jackson is shaking MY HAND right now & I don't even feel like fainting & I am such a huge fan of his! This is strange of me….I always imagined myself to faint in the presence of him I guess today I became strong enough to fight my overwhelming feelings…..however, now I'm starting to feel nervous….but I'm not sure why. Was It because Michael Jackson was standing in front of me? Or was it because, of the reason I am, auditioning, I usually get butterflies in my stomach when I'm auditioning. So, maybe it was that.

I cleared my throat & said

"I'm Kitty… Genovese. Just call me Kitty or Genovese or both. Whatever you prefer. "

"oh, stage name?"

"No, that's my real name."

"Really? Is Kitty short for Catherine?"

"No. My mom really named me after a female who was stabbed to death & everyone on the block knew & nobody tried to help."

"Aw, well true. Maybe your mom was really interested in what happened or, felt sympathy for her, decided to name her little girl after her."

"Maybe, hopefully it wasn't fate for me…."

"Well let's hope not! Anyways, you have a really interesting & unique name. Nice to meet you."

"Thank you. Nice to meet you too." I smiled

"Excuse me? You know she's here to audition, not have a friendly conversation with you, Michael." Quincy butted in.

"Oh yeah, sorry about that Quincy." He replied, & sat down right next to Quincy.

"So, introduce yourself to me, young miss." Quincy asks as both Michael & Quincy are looking straight at me.

I felt the odds turning, butterflies were filling my stomach within seconds.

"I'm Kitty…..Kitty Genovese."

"I want your real name before your stage name please."

"um, that is my real name."

"Are you serious?"

"Yes, look on my resume"

Quincy takes up the resume & glances at the front, you can see in his facial expression he's quite shocked.

Damn I knew this was going to happen. It happens to me each & every time. Maybe I need a damn name change.

"Oh, that's a really pretty name. Would this also be your stage name?"

Oh my! A positive reaction of my name from not only one, but 2 men? No strange faces? Oh my goodness I have the first name of a cat & No immature remarks? If I'm dreaming, I don't want to wake up. This is going well so far.

"Just Genovese is my stage name."

"Going to drop the Kitty? You don't like that part of your name?"

"No, I love my whole name actually, I just think Genovese fits me career wise. But you guys can call me whatever you want. I just want to be referred to as Genovese to the public."

"Oh okay nice, So you brought with you today a portfolio, with written songs, recorded demo's, resume of course, & a whole page essay on how much you want to be signed on, wow, never gotten that one before."

"Is, that a good thing Mr. Jones?"

"Honey, just call me Quincy, & Yes I'd consider it a good thing, especially if you show me in the essay, how dedicated you'll be to this committing career of a professional singer."

"Oh well, Wonderful."

"Michael & I are going to have to look through all of these papers & demos. Right Mike?"

"Sure" he answered, as Quincy passed the portfolio to him

"Why?…I thought it was just you, Quincy who was going to see all of my stuff?"

I had a puzzled look on my face & my nervousness just got worse, right when they were cooling down. Come on, I can't let Michael, see my unprofessional writing, some of the songs there are pretty horrid while there is some I am a bit proud of, but maybe he won't think their good enough? Maybe the really not so great ones, will overcome the good? Damn. I should have looked through my stuff before just sending him a random portfolio. Thinking it's Good art. I better make a pretty damn good impression today.

"Well this whole, book is allot, it's heavy too like a textbook, & I can't look through it as thoroughly as I need to & as short of time as I want to, so Michael will read & listen to an equal amount as me."

Okay….NOW I feel like fainting. I'm sure they can feel my nervousness from around the room, but I got to pull myself together & make the best impression I can ever make, I didn't travel from New York city to LA to get let down..

"Okay, so lets get down to business, what song are you going to sing for us, Ms. Genovese?" Quincy asks as he crosses his fingers, & looks up at me attentively.

Goodness, the way he's looking at me is like he's paying attention to each & every word I say, every movement I make & even every time I breathe, he sees & he knows. The more I looked at him was the more nervous I got. He really is a giving me an experience for sure.

"I'm going to sing, Missing You by Diana Ross."

"Oh, Diana, Someone were both pretty familiar with right Mike?"

Michael nodded his head in agreement.

"Okay Dear, sing your heart out." Quincy told me.

I took a deep breathe as I quickly, ran the lyrics through my head & began singing.

"Since you've Been Away

I've been Down & Lonely

Since you've Been Away

I've been Thinking of You

Trying to Understand

The Reason you left me

What were you going Through?

Ooh Ooooh

I'm Missing You

Tell Me Why the roads turn

Ooh Ooooh

I'm Missing You

Tell Me Why the Roads Turn

As I look Around

I see things that remind me

Just to see your smile

Made My Heart fill with Joy

I'll still Recall

All Those Dreams we shared Together

Where did you run to, boy?

Ooh Ooooh

I'm Missing You

Tell Me Why the Roads Turn

Ooh Ooooh

I'm Missing You

Tell Me Why the Roads Turn

Sometimes I've Wondered

I didn't Understand

Just where you were trying to go

Only you knew the Plan

And I tried to be There

But you wouldn't let me in

But now your Gone away Boy

I Feel so Broken Hearted

I Knew the Day we Started

That We were Meant to Be

If only You'd Let Me!

I've Cried so many Tears

Gotta Face now all my Fears

We Let Time slip Away

I Need you Boy

Here Today!

Tell me Why the Road Turns

Oooh

I'm Missing You

Tell me Why the Road Turns

Tell me! Tell me! Why?

Oooh

I'm Missing You

Tell Me Why The Road Turns

Ooh

Don't understand it!"

I took a deep breathe & took a bow in front of them.

"No, No! You don't have to bow, Ms. Genovese." Quincy tells me, as he interrupts me.

"I thought it'd be a nice addition, to my little performance to you guys."

"No, no it's just us, it's fine."

"No, Quincy let her bow if she wants to. " Michael says, as he winks at me.

I wink back & re do my bow. Once I got up from the bow I looked back at Quincy & Michael. So, what do I do now? Is It over? Decline? Accept? Go home? My nerves are aching me. I am really anxious to know what they think, I put my heart & soul singing that song, If they think I didn't do well then I am for sure one talent less fool.