- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Feedback!!
Chapter5

When I stepped up I could feel everyone’s eyes watching me, looking for some kind of imperfection. The beat came on and that was it, all I need when I’m nervous about dancing is the music. Then everything is okay again until’ the music stops that’s when the nerves come back. I threw a few flips out just for show; people are always amused by that.

Right before the chant came on I back flipped about three times, with out busting my butt, then twirled twice and stopped for a moon walking solo. Every so often I could see me dancing in the mirrors, I was actually pretty proud. I ended with my arm straight up and hand stretched out while my legs were spread (don’t be perverted). Claps and cheering filled my ears and my doubts about the performance melted away like and icy block of self consciousnesses. But I heard someone’s clapping and cheers more than the others, Sam’s. Standing next to him was Michael himself (why do I keep saying that?) applauding for me!

This was all almost too perfect, when everyone was done we gathered once more. Michael Peters spoke once more, “Everyone, you did a great job. I hope to see this talent every time”. When he was done he turned to Michael (yes, Jackson) and asked him if had anything to say. I promise as this man stood if anyone was whispering before they weren’t now. If I were deaf or not I couldn’t have told the difference. He cleared his throat, “I wanna thank everyone for coming today. I didn’t think we’d have so many great dancers. I just want you all to know that even if you don’t make the cut, it’s not because you’re not good. You just weren’t what we needed at this time”. As he was saying all this he smiled and just made me all jittery inside.
That was the end of the day, everyone dispersed and I gestured Sam to come over so I could get my stuff and leave. He said bye and jogged over. I wanted to jump him and demand answers to all my questions, but instead suppressed the desire. Sam and I were walking out of the room when I turned and Michael Jackson was staring right at me!
He smiled, waving slightly as to gesture to me that he was saying good bye. Oddly enough I was able to play it cool, waving slightly and smiled as well. We made our way into the elevator and as soon as the doors closed I could no longer resist my actions. I dropped my bag and got down to his level. “What’d he say? Did you say anything about me? What did you two talk about?” I asked loudly. Sam looked at me, “What did who say?” I rolled my eyes and replied, “Michael Jackson! C’mon Sam. Really?” Looking like he realized what I meant he said, “He didn’t really say anything shocking.
He said a few things about you. We talked about all kind of things, cartoons, music, interest, and the dancers.” He said this so nonchalantly, I couldn’t believe it! “What did he say about me?” I asked him almost shrieking. About the time I asked him the bell rang and the doors opened. We were both caught off guard, I was pretty sure the whole lobby heard my question. I could hear my voice echo across the room. Sam and I just played it cool and straightened up and walked out. As we were walking I smiled and whispered, “This isn’t over little one.” He put his hands in defense, “Hey, I’ll tell you whatever you wanna know Sydney.” We laughed and made our way back to my apartment.
Car after car whizzed by as Sam and I got through the building doors. “Race ya to the top!” Sam yelled as he ran up the stairs. He’d already started and I just followed as fast as I could. I’m surprised with all the noise we made going that somebody didn’t think it was a stampede! I clicked the lock on the door and Sam was first in, he obviously won. I was about to enter when I heard, “Sydney!” I turned to see my landlord’s son, Harry. He’s always had a thing for me and the feelings were always non-mutual. “Harry! How are you?” I tried to fake. This man was everything you’d never take to home to meet the family. Bald, fat, greasy, hairy, and an all around jerk. I shut the door quickly before he could see Sam as I said hello.
Harry walked up to me, something I begged he wouldn’t do, and began talking. “Blah, blah. I’m a loser so I need to make a fool of myself “, was all I could really let my ears comprehend. In reality he’d probably be bragging about something to impress me. “So Sydney, I hear you’re still single these days”, he tried to say smoothly, it came out like sand paper. “Awwh, now who are you hearing this from?” I asked sarcastically. He looked at me from the side of wrinkly eyes, “C’mon Syd, just go out with me.
I can show you what a real man can do”. As he said that he did a few obscene gestures. I gave him an ‘Oh really?’ look then replied, “Along with your self respect and your sense of hygiene I guess chivalry died too, assuming you ever had any”. With that I turned and entered my apartment. Harry still had this confused look on his face and with any luck he would be gone by the time I had to go back out.