- Text Size +
Story Notes:
These will be posted in installments. I enjoy feedback so please rate and comment. I promise it won't be crappy. Enjoy! :D
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the first installment. If you like it, let me know. The story is done and will be posted depending on popularity.
Chapter 1

As I was called to the podium to speak I could feel the butterflies in my stomach fluttering around as if they had been there 1000 years and were dying to be free. When I made it to the podium I gazed at all the guest and graduates waiting for me to speak. I felt as if every eye was on me judging and waiting for me to do somthing astonishing. Pulling out my scrunched up folded speech I began to read. “A wise man once said ‘Only fools rush in’, and if that’s so then I believe we’re all fools.” Everyone gave a chuckle and I smiled at their acceptance of my joke then continued. “We all came here with a desire and a passion, some continued their passion and some chose another path. The fact is, whether you did one or the other you stuck to it. Which is why we’re here today, to commence those exact people. And I know most are either just glad that it’s finally over or sad to loose the friends we've made along this journey. As we say our goodbyes we must always remember that not all goodbyes are permanent endings, they can also be perfect beginnings too.” I turned to look at the professors sitting behind me aknowleding my every word, “And I know that Bennington is going to miss this class the most, no doubt.” The professors and audience laughed in agreement. “With that said Ladies and Gentlemen”, I hesitated to create anticipation. There was nothing but silence as we all held our breath, “Class of 1983! We did it!” I finished then flung my purple cap into the air and everyone followed. I folded my speech back up and turned around to give my professors a hug and thank them. As I walked off stage I smirked to myself in rememberance of all the good times I had in this college. In college I’d made class Valedictorian which in a sense was kind of weird. I was always the girl who’d be pushing time, running to school and through the halls, and diving into class just before the bell. I was young and I guess I grew out that adolescence. As I was making my way out of the auditorium I scanned the room for the three people I wanted to see and hug. Towards the exit I found them waiting for me, my three best friends in the world. They ran screaming in my direction, “We did it!” When I got to them we embraced as if it had been a hundred years since we’d seen each other. Ray, Lilith, and Alice had been my friends since third grade. It seemed weird considering all the times we shared from stealing animal crackers to middle school heart breaks to entering high school scared to death. These girls had always been the family I never had and the friends I always wanted. After hugging we headed outside to the parking lot where our cars were, arms linked together, to say our final ova’s. Nearing the parked waiting cars I felt a wind of remembrance wash over me; all the fights, all the pranks, and all the gossiping sleepovers seemed more far away than we ever dreamed they would, yet still all the more pure. There we stood once four silly girls and now four great women ready to go out and change the world. Lilith was going to be a photographer, Ray was pursuing a career in music (we were always joking about buying her hit album someday and Lilith would shoot the cover), finally Alice was going to be an animal rights activist. As for me? I was going to be a famous choreographer. A long time ago we promised that after graduating college once a year we would meet and talk about how our lives are going and any new love interest, you know girl stuff. “Remember our promise, once a year. Until’ then we’ll write all the time and call as well. So everybody pay their phone bills”, I said smiling and looking at Lilith. She’d had a history of not doing that and rolled her eyes at my comment. “Where are we going to meet?” Alice asked. “New York city. That way our Syd Squid”, that had been my nickname, “can show us a good time in the big city.” Ray said smirking. We all agreed, New York was the place we’d meet. The four of us hooked our pinkies to one another and made a sacred pinky promise as had been the tradition forever before. Handing out my address to my new apartment in New York City, I’d been a little skeptic they’d write me even though I knew they would. I hugged them all and said goodbye as they entered their cars first, heading more farther away than they ever had before. A cool spring wind blew and past winter leaves danced gently across the cement as my friends drove away. I felt myself begin to cry a little, but a year is only a year, in time we would see each other again. My future beckoned me to chase after it and ‘The city that never sleeps’ was calling my name.