- Text Size +

Michael's POV

My eyes fluttered open as the morning sun was shining down on us. I propped myself up on my elbows and looked over at Prince, who was still sleeping. My thoughts immediately went to Paris and Blanket. How could I have left them like that? I mean, yeah I was coming to save my child, but they're my children too. I hope they're okay. Anyways, I shouldn't stress myself out right now. I sat up and put my hand on Prince's shoulder.

"Prince. Wake up."

He blinked a few times before opening his eyes. "Yeah, dad?"

"We gotta get moving." I said, standing up.

He stretched out his arms and stood up. "Where are we going?" 

"I don't know yet, but we need to find a way to call for help." 

"Dad, how are we gonna do that? We're in the middle of nowhere." 

I shrugged. "There's a building here, so there has to be some form of communication that we can use." 

He nodded."I guess you're right."

We started walking and began our search. I looked over at Prince. "Son, can I ask you something?" 

"Sure. What's on your mind?" 

I sighed. "Why did you leave?"

He chewed on his bottom lip and looked away. "I.. I thought I could help."

I put my arm around him. "I appreciate that. I really do. But Prince, you shouldn't have just ran away like that. I was worried sick. I didn't know what happened to you." 

He looked up at me. "Really?"

"Of course. I never want anything to happen to you." My mind went back to a time when Prince was four and I took him to see what the woods was like.


2001

Michael's POV

I held Prince's little hand as we stepped into the sea of trees. 

"Daddy, what's this place called?" He looked up at me.

"It's called a forest, Prince. Isn't it pretty?" I smiled.

"Yeah!" He said happily.

We kept walking, but not too far. I don't want to go too deep into it. He might get scared. I saw this huge tree. It was totally gorgeous. I turned to show Prince, but he wasn't there. 

"Prince?" No answer. I started to panic. I frantically looked around for him. My heart rate was at top speed. I paced around, calling his name. Still, nothing. Oh my god, my baby. What's happened to my baby boy? A tear slipped down my cheek. Then, I felt something wrap around my leg. I looked down and saw the face of my little angel. I knelt down and hugged him tightly.

"Prince, you scared me to death. Where did you go?" 

"I saw a squirrel so I tried to catch it. Why are you crying, daddy?" He put his little hand on my face.

I smiled. "Because I thought something happened to you. Please don't ever leave me like that again."

He nodded, "I'm sorry daddy. I promise I won't."

I kissed his cheek and picked him up in my arms.


Prince looked over at me. "Dad, there will always be situations that could put me in danger, but that's life. Sometimes I can't always be protected." 

I looked down. "I know. I just wish that I could keep you safe all the time."

"I understand. You're my dad, you want me safe. That makes you amazing." He smiled at me. 

I ruffled his hair. "You've really grown up, Prince. I'm proud of you."

"I learned from the best." 

I laughed and continued walking. All of sudden, I heard something moving behind us and I froze. I glanced over at Prince, who stilled his movements also. I swear, you could hear my heart beating through my chest. I swallowed and slowly turned my head. Then the shot went off. My heart stopped. I looked down to see the damage and there was nothing. If it wasn't me that got shot, then.. Oh no. I looked over and watched as the blood started to rush out of my son's shoulder as he fell to his knees. I could actually feel my heart break and my eyes started to feel with tears. God, please don't take him from me.. 

 

Chapter End Notes:

Sorry for the late update! I had writer's block. I'm not sure how good this chapter is, but I hope you like it! :)