Butterflies. by SkyWriter
Summary:

As Michael's third solo album, Bad, is about to drop; Cameron Winter's, a famous celebrity attorney takes on a weak case against him and gets way more than he bargained for when his daughter slowly and cynically falls in love with the popstar, ruining the best made plans. 

Has Michael found himself a powerful enemy? 


Categories: Romance Characters: Original Girl
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: Death, Suicide
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 20792 Read: 6707 Published: Mar 17, 2015 Updated: Sep 01, 2015
Story Notes:

This story was my very first fan fiction that I ever shared online back in 2000/2001 (making me around 16 or 17ish). 

I have about 29 chapters to share and will add them all. I would love to have some feedback if you so desire :) I will probably finish this one as it is almost completed save for a chapter or two. 

Also, if you love this please favourite it!!! 

Happy reading! 

1. Chapter 1 by SkyWriter

2. Chapter 2 by SkyWriter

3. Chapter 3 by SkyWriter

4. Chapter 4 by SkyWriter

5. Chapter 5 by SkyWriter

Chapter 1 by SkyWriter
Author's Notes:

Honest reviews and critisisms are always welcome here :)

Chapter One


The room was brightly lit not only by lights but the laughter of the guests that filled the entertainment area. Jody glanced down at the wineglass in her hand. It was filled to the rim with the most expensive French Champagne. She dared to take a sip. It was a bitter foul tasting liquid, she thought to herself. She didn’t even want to be there, but knew she had to act at least a little grateful. She would have preferred to be in her own apartment, relaxing and enjoying the company from her real friends as opposed to the superficial people that filled the room.


“Jody, darling! How are you, Bella?” A voice asked from behind her. She recognized the voice. Her stomach sank, really not wanting to speak to anyone. “What are you doing here all alone? It’s your birthday!”


No, really? You don’t say so! She thought sarcastically.


She turned to face Simon Harrison, the most noble and sought-after bachelor that worked for her fathers firm. He had taken her on a few dates in the past, but she didn’t like him. Her father had tried relentlessly to set them up and make sure they had a well-formed relationship. After every date they went on, Jody would remind herself of why she liked to keep her distance from her father’s people. “Hi Simon.” She said summoning up a weak smile. “How are you?”


He gave her a kiss on each cheek. “Happy Birthday, Sweetheart.”


“Thank you.”


“You look really beautiful tonight.” He complimented her, giving her the once over. She had flowing, straight dark hair, a petite tiny frame. Her eyes were a dark brown color. They were emotionless and sometimes seemed ice cold, especially at times like the present. “We should think about getting together again sometime soon, your Dad was telling me that you love that new Restaurant that opened up in Malibu.” He began.


Jody began to grow irritated. She hated the way that her Father always butted in to her life. She was 24 years old and old enough to take care of herself. She had certainly proved that a long time ago. “Simon…” She said quietly, “I don’t think so…I’m kind of swamped in my work at the moment.”


“Jo,” He said taking a step towards her, invading her personal space. She glanced at his slick attire; it was obvious by looking at him that he was well to do. His striking good looks were just a mask, though – she knew it. He placed his hand on her shoulder. “Why do you always play hard to get?” He wondered aloud.


“I’m not!” She snapped taking a step back, “I’m busy. Jeez.”


“And a temper too.” Simon smiled, taking another step closer, ignoring her efforts to free herself from his attention. “That’s what I like about you, Jo, you aren’t scared to be a challenge.”


“A challenge? Great. Well I can see where you’re coming from, Simon. I must be like one of those challenging work projects that you work day and night on.” She scoffed, turning her heel and walking off.


Simon stood there, stunned at having been shunted from her. He was used to having his female co-workers fall at his feet. “Bitch.” He muttered. He had taken her out a few times but nothing ever escalated like he hoped. Her father ran one of the richest law firms in Beverly Hills. Simon one day wanted to be as successful and found that he could do that through Jody. The only problem was that Jody wasn’t as naïve as her father and saw right through Simon’s façade.


“Ah, there you are boy!” Jody’s father said putting a firm arm on Simon’s shoulder. “Where’s my daughter? She’s old enough now for the two of you to jump on the back of a horse and ride off in to the sunset!”


Simon gave Jody’s father one of his trademark smiles, “That’s the plan, Mr. Winters, that’s the plan.”



 



 


Jody headed outside, away from the mindless chatter of the guests. She wanted to free herself from the control of her father, The great, wonderful, Cameron Winters. She thought bitterly.


It was her 24th birthday. Her father had insisted that he throw a party for her and as much as she hated the idea, she went along with it to keep the peace.


Jody resented her father more than she could put in to words. Her mother had died tragically when she was 12 years old, during the time where a girl would need her mother the most. Her father was a workaholic and the death of her mother had a phony effect on him. He cried and grieved with Jody, but only out of pure guilt. Her father had always kept a string of mistress’s on the side. The more she thought about her poor mother, putting up with her father, the angrier she became.


She wanted to leave the party, but didn’t want to seem like another spoiled, rich brat.


Everything about this atmosphere and her life seemed materialistic and fake. The only thing that was for real was her. She had long ago vowed that she would never become like these people. They had the money; the freedom to buy whatever they wanted to make themselves look good, but they sure did not have the happiness. They lacked emotions and feelings and for the most part, love.


She stood on the patio of her father’s mansion and let out a bit of a tired yawn. She sat down on the swing chair and gave a deep sigh. She looked up at the mansion. It was the most incredible looking mansion. It was 3 stories high, built with chocolate colored bricks and matching panels. The bay windows accentuated the impressive architectural designs.


If only everyone could have seen beyond the strong, solid looking frame of the house, and glimpse the pain that ploughed far beyond the beautiful bay windows and expensive chinaware, lame rugs, and antiques that stood on shelves. If only they saw the times that the great and powerful Cameron Winters used his force to beat her mother and control his daughter. If only they could see the long list of flamboyant gifts that he splurged on hoping to buy their love. The reality was, though; that they would never see the hurt and pain that went on in the Winters' mansion. They would never know the real Mr. Winters that lived underneath the mask of good jokes, public kindness and fake affection for his family – what there was left of it, anyway. All these people cared about was money and prestige and Jody hated it with a passion.


“Sweet heart…” Cameron called, emerging from the glass doors leading to where she was seated.


“Yes?” She asked with a certain note of bitterness in her tone.


Cameron sat down beside her and smiled. “Look at you…” He said touching her cheek with his forehand. “All grown up and independent now. Daddy is so proud of you.”


Jody shot him a filthy look and bit her tongue trying to keep the peace. She wanted badly to throw her still-full glass of wine in his face.


“Darling, you’ve been carrying around that glass all night as though it’s attached to your hand, why don’t you drink it and loosen up a bit!” Her urged her, nodding towards the glass. Jody looked down at it.


“I don’t feel like drinking.” She replied curtly.


“Go on, it’s your 24th birthday, Jo, go right ahead!” He pushed her.


“I said I don’t want it.” She resisted firmly. Her father raised a bushy gray eyebrow at her. His thinning gray hair was slicked back, face was looking more leathery than usual a sure-fire sign that he was getting older.


“Jody, I don’t know what has gotten in to you…You used to be such a good girl.” He said looking his daughter in the eyes. Jody would never forget the times he used to scare her in to doing what he said – but not anymore, those eyes of his were tired, and she wasn’t scared of him.


“You mean the days that I used to jump at your command.” She mumbled. “I’m my own person, father, I don’t need you to tell me what to do with my life.”


Her father looked shocked at her remarks. He went to say something but Jody cut in.


“And you know what? While you’re at it, please stop with your match making game. Simon is not who I want to marry, heck I don’t even want to get married!” She snapped, finally not being able to take it.


“Simon Harrison is a good boy. He’s growing in to one of the finest defense attorneys in all of California. He has a vibrant future ahead of him, I want you to start exploring your options.”


“A vibrant future?” Jody scoffed, “You mean the kind of vibrant future you had at his age?”


Her father wasn’t sure of Jody’s tone. He didn’t know if she was mocking him or if she was asking an innocent question. “I was a very wealthy and respected at his age.”


“Maybe that was the problem then.” She remarked hoping that her words stung him as much as his actions in the past had stung her.  Jody got up, signaling that this was obviously the end of the conversation. Her father jumped up too, now towering over her 5’1 frame. It was at times like this, she got a little intimidated, usually forgetting what sort of a man he was.


He grabbed her arm, as she was about to make a swift break towards the door. He yanked her back towards him, “You will never as long as I am living, talk to me like that, do you hear me clearly, Jody?”


Jody said nothing. She was strong minded and stubborn – a trait of her mothers. She looked at him with her cold eyes.


“I don’t understand you, you’re an ungrateful little bitch, Jody. I gave you the best things in the world. I educated you in the finest school in L.A, I offered to buy you the finest clothes to fit in with your friends. I gave you everything you ever wanted, and this is the thanks I get?”


“When are you going to learn!” She said raising her voice, yanking her arm back out of his grip, “Life is not about money, Dad. It’s not about fitting in by wearing the most expensive labels or having people kiss your butt because you’re rich and powerful. I knew about your other women, I saw, with my very own eyes, you beating mom, and all those times you spent abusing us and lowering our confidence. You think I forgot that Daddy? I will never forget. You’re nothing.


Her father leaned over and slapped her hard across her face.


“Point proven, case closed.” She said patronizingly, not even flinching from his strike. She walked off with her head held high. She placed her wineglass firmly down on a mantle piece and grabbed her coat. She put it on and grabbed her purse and headed towards her car to leave.



 



 


One thing Jody never did, was let people see her true emotions. She knew that showing emotions left her vulnerable. That was at least one decent lesson that her father taught her. She hated to bother her friends anyway. She had built such a strong wall around herself that stopped anyone from getting too close to her. She had initially attempted to let Simon get close to her, but she saw through his transparent façade and stopped before they got too serious. 


She drove off, without a destination in mind. She could go back to her apartment, but didn’t feel like it just yet. Jody was an extremely independent person; she hated having to swelter a person – her best friend though, was the person that she cared about and loved so much. Her best friend knew everything that she’d been through and was there for her, not so much in words, but company and that was enough for Jody.


She arrived in Santa Monica, pulling her little jeep in to one of the most beautiful beaches. She could see some children playing on the jungle gym with their father close by, watching. She smiled, loving kids. Jody was decked out in a white floral dress that stopped just below her knees. She wore black strappy heels with it. Her hair as always tumbled down upon her shoulders, often requiring her to run her fingers through it to keep it out of her face. She did that it so often, that it was quite a habit. Her hair hid her face quite well; she liked it that way, though. Her skin was olive, due to her Mexican descent.


Jody took off her heels and held them as she walked down the sand a little, closer towards the jungle gym. She took a seat not so far from it, in the sand. She was aware that she was probably about to ruin her dress, but she didn’t care. She was in no mood to care about such material things.


She glanced up at the children frolicking in the sand around the jungle gym. There were three children, all probably around 4 or 5 years old. There were two little boys and a little girl. The little girl was sitting a little further back on her own; building a sandcastle that seemed to be quite large. The two little boys were whispering and conspiring something. Jody realized she was smiling at them, and watching them with great interest.


Suddenly the two little boys began to sabotage the little girl’s sandcastle, much to her distress. She sat wide-eyed in shock looking at her demolished castle. The boys giggled and cheered. As if on cue the little girl began to cry. The father rushed over towards her and helped her up, he didn’t yell at the boys like Jody expected. He had a smile on his face. He helped his daughter up and helped her dust away all the sand that had landed over her during their ambush.


“Come on,” He coaxed her, “It’s alright, sweet heart, I’ll push you on the swings.” He told her, planting a kiss on her forehead. He glanced around to make sure the boys were still within his sight. His eyes swept over the beach, settling upon Jody. She quickly looked away, embarrassed to have been staring.



 



 


“Michaaaaaaael…” Elyse called out sitting in the swings, impatiently.


“Coming.” He smiled; taking his eyes off the girl that was sitting alone on the beach. He pushed her gently on the swings, careful not to send her too high.


“Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!” Elyse grinned whenever she went up in to the air, “This sooooo fun!” She boasted to the boys who were watching her, “Lookit me, lookit me! I’m Queeeeeeeeen of the castle and you’re the dirty rascals!” She sang.


Michael chuckled.


“We wanna go in the wateeeeer.” One of the boys, Ryan, whined.


“I’m sorry, Ryan, it’s too cold, maybe next time…” Michael told the little boy.


Chris, the other little boy made a mad dash towards the water, disregarding what their friend had told them. Michael was torn. He couldn’t leave Elyse soaring in the air on the swings by herself nor could he run after both boys. He tried to stop the swing, from swinging.


“Stay here.” He told Elyse, “CHRISTOPHER!!!!!! RYAN!!!” He yelled.


The boys giggled more and ran faster. Michael ran after them, fearing the worst. The waves were quite rough and he knew neither of the boys could swim.


Jody watched the man chase after the boys, leaving the little girl on the swings, looking a little wobbly. She glanced back to see him holding each boy under either arm with them all in fits of giggles. She wondered why her father was never as loving as that. He never took her to the park or pushed her on the swings or even made an effort to spend any quality time with her.


She couldn’t peel her eyes away from it. The man showed them the kind of love that she had only ever dreamed of. Her mother was loving towards her, but she turned a little cold-hearted after the years of bad-treatment she received from Cameron. Jody didn’t blame her for that.


Jody leapt to her feet, seeing the little girl wobble more and fall off the swing set. She was only a short distance away, and thought that maybe she had hurt herself as the little girl began wail loudly. She jogged over to her, as best as she could in a dress. She picked up the little girl to her feet.


“Where does it hurt?” Jody asked. The little girl looked warily at her. “You’re alright sweetie.” She said checking the girl for scraped knees or elbows.


She held up her hands, they were a little grazed, “I want Michhaeeeeeeeel…” She cried more.


Jody turned around to see the man standing behind her, she stepped aside as Michael lifted up the little girl and balanced her on his hip. “I’m sorry, sweetie…I didn’t mean to leave you alone. Are you okay?” He stroked the tears away from Elyse’s cheeks.


The tenderness and gentleness of his tone took Jody by surprise. She realized that this was obviously not their father.


Elyse rubbed her eyes with balled fists and nodded. Michael turned to Chris and Ryan, “I told you it was too cold for the water, look, your sister could have really hurt herself!” He lectured.


Ryan and Chris looked sheepish. “Sorry, Michael.” They said in unison.


Jody stood dumbly, ready to walk away. When Michael spoke, “Thank you…I kind of had my hands full…I’m really sorry that I bothered you.”


Jody realized right then, who was staring back in to her face. It was Michael Jackson.


Fame never seemed to phase her. She knew that fame was one big sham. She had grown up around famous celebrities that her father had represented. She had learned; celebrities and people like her father’s acquaintance were the most fake. She knew celebrities true identities were usually nothing at all like the perception that the public had and for those reasons, she had never been star-struck.


Michael could tell by the girl’s eyes, that she had recognized him. She seemed to brush it right off like water from a ducks back. He was so shocked that he had no time to feel relieved.


“It’s no problem, I thought she had really hurt herself. Glad she’s okay.” Jody replied without flinching. She looked at Elyse and took her hand; “Be more careful next time, okay honey?”


Elyse nodded and sniffed.


“Are you going to say thank you to the nice lady, Elyse?” Michael prompted her.


 “Thank you.” She repeated.


Jody grinned, “It was my pleasure.”



 



 


She went back and resumed her position on the beach where she had left her shoes. She was shocked at who she had found. She realized that the children were obviously not his. She had a lot of questions about it in her mind. She wanted to ask him what he was doing there alone, without bodyguards but she didn’t want to inflate any egos.



Michael took a seat on a little bench that was close to the jungle gym. He couldn’t shake the little confrontation he’d just had. It was the first person that he had ever met that didn’t bat an eyelid to see Michael Jackson alone with some kids. He had been initially a little scared when he had first seen her arrive, but he was able to relax. Still though, it was strange.


He stole a glance of her; she was sitting, looking ahead pensively just watching the waves crash on to the shore. She looked kind of troubled and maybe a little sad. Her brown hair blew in the breeze. She swept it out of her face, glancing over at him. They both quickly looked away.


Michael looked down at his shoes and thought about what had just happened. Could it even be possible that she didn’t recognize him? No…


He listened to the boys singing a song and looked up to make sure Elyse was okay. She wasn’t within sight. His heart stopped for a second. He whirled around in his seat looking for her.


“Elyse!” He called, “Chris, Ryan, where is Elyse?!” He asked frantically, angry with himself for being so irresponsible again.


Chris and Ryan gave him a blank stare.


He looked up to find Elyse talking to the girl on the beach. He breathed a sigh of relief. “Elyse!” He called out. Elyse was too engrossed in conversation to answer.


“Chris, Ryan…I’m just going over here, do not move.” He said pointing to where their sister was. “Okay?”


“We promise.” Ryan replied, going back to building a new sandcastle.


 Michael made his way shyly towards Jody. “I have two brothers and they are big meanies.” Elyse informed her.


“Really? Aww, that’s no good.” Jody smiled; getting the feeling that Michael was looming closer.


“Yep. My Mommy and Daddy are on holidays so we get to go to Michael’s house and have lots of fun there. Its fun we get to have ice cream and candy and toys and he plays lots of fun games and lets us stay up late and helps me use my special crayons in my color book!” The little girl rambled on.


“Really? That must be a lot of fun.” Jody remarked giving the little girl a smile, glancing briefly at Michael who was blushing furiously at the good wrap that he was getting.


Michael held his hands on his hips, looking embarrassed. “I’m so sorry…” He apologized to Jody. “Elyse, you promised me you’d be good, remember?”


Elyse looked up to see Michael, obviously one of the little girl’s heroes.


“It’s alright, she’s no trouble.” Jody assured him, “You’re no trouble, are you?” She proceeded to ask Elyse.


“Nope. I’m no trouble, I’m a big help to Michael I helped cook too, I’m almost 5 years old and I go to kindy and everything!”


“And you’re a chatterbox too.” Michael added.


 Jody laughed. Elyse finally took a breath. “My brothers are building a sandcastle I am going to break it!” She said gleefully and ran off without giving either Michael or Jody a chance to say anything else.


“Uh…look, thank you for your help before…they can be a bit of a handful.”


“That’s okay, Michael.” She replied and then realizing she had said his name. She felt her face burn red with embarrassment.


“Ah, you did recognize me.” He said a little uncomfortably. He turned to make sure the kids were okay.


“Bit hard not to, you know.” She remarked almost sarcastically, watching him lower his eyes to the sand avoiding looking at her.


“I know, I know.” He replied. “It’s just a change to find someone who doesn’t try to jump all over me.”


Jody raised her eyebrow, for a second thinking that maybe; just maybe, he was a normal guy, until the ego reared its ugly head. “If you say so…”


Michael chuckled, “That must have sounded bad, forgive me…I didn’t mean to sound full of myself or anything.” He watched the kids playing in the sand. “Well…it’s jus-“


“You don’t need to explain yourself to me.” She mumbled really not in the mood to hear anyone else’s sob stories, Michael Jackson or no Michael Jackson.


Elyse ran back over to them she held her arms out for Michael, “Can you pick me up?” She whined. “The boys won’t let me play.”


Michael laughed and scooped her up, “Don’t worry…” He said, momentarily forgetting that Jody was there, “When we get home you can chose a movie to watch.” Elyse snuggled her head on to Michael’s shoulder and draped her arms around his neck. She planted a slobbery kiss on his cheek. “I love youuu, Mikey.” Michael smiled, Elyse being on of his favorite kids in the world. “Love you too, sweetie.”


Jody felt more upset the more she watched, wishing that she had some sort of figure in her childhood.


“Do you mind if we sit?” Michael asked Jody; at first being shy but noticed she looked downcast and let his good intentions take over.


“Go for it.” She mumbled really wanting to be left alone.


There was a lot of tension between them and discomfort. Jody looked around for a distraction. Michael saw her shoes beside her and for the first time noticed her attire. She looked as though she had just come from somewhere glamorous. Her head was bowed slightly looking at the sand. Her mane of silky straight brown hair framed her oval-shaped face so well.


They sat a few minutes in silence while Michael watched the boys playing


“Michael…” Elyse’s voice trailed off sounding tired. He turned his attention to her.


“Yes, sweetie?” He asked gently seeing that she was beginning to look sleepy. “When we get home can we have ice cream?” She asked hopefully through her big yawn, tightening her grip around Michael’s chest.


Michael laughed, “We’ll have to wait and see.” He told her knowing that by the time they got home she would more than likely be asleep. He saw that Jody was watching Elyse. He ran his fingers over the little girl’s big tight curls, her head rested against his chest, too tired of running around the park to wriggle around in his lap.


“You look like you had a glamorous night out.” Michael remarked wanting to say something to the despondent, Jody.


Jody made a weird snorting sound, “Yeah…real glamorous.” She replied tucking a lock of hair behind her left ear. Michael did a double take, noticing the makings of a bruise under eye.


“Whoa…” He murmured in almost a whisper and reacted by touching her cheek gently.


Jody flinched quickly not seeing him gesturing to touch her face. He jerked his hand away, realizing that she wasn’t expecting it. “What happened?” He wanted to know.


She raised her eyebrow at him, “What do you mean?” His eyes were ablaze and his forehead was creased with concern.


“What happened to your cheek?” He said motioning to touch it again, “You have a red bruise under your eye…


Jody was then reminded of the slap that she had received for trying to stand up to her father. She lifted her hand to her cheek; surprisingly it was sore to the touch. She winced, “How bad is it?” She wanted to know, “Damn, damn, damn!” She cursed.


“It’s kind of bad…” He said gently wondering what the hell had happened and grew more and more concerned for this complete stranger. “Who did this?”


She gave a sigh and ran her fingers through her hair again. She replayed the earlier argument with her father through her mind. This is the last time he will ever lay a hand on me. “It’s a long story. Let’s just say I ran my mouth a little more than I should have.” She replied, stretching the truth. She noticed the little girl had closed her eyes. “Anyway, you had better go, looks like someone needs to be in her bed.”


Michael turned to see that Elyse was breathing heavily, asleep on his chest. He smiled briefly thinking of how cute he was. He turned back to Jody, “Are you okay?”


She nodded, “Yep thanks…” She looked down at his black pants, moving her eyes up towards to his casual thin-cotton T-shirt until her eyes met with his. “I’ll be fine.”


“I hope so…” He replied adjusting Elyse’s position so he could get up. He awkwardly got up off of the ground managing to do everything but drop her. He dusted the sand off of himself and turned to Jody; “I’ll see you…”


“Bye…” She replied watching him head off to round up the two boys. She held her hand to her face as the tears filled her eyes and spilled over and streamed down her cheeks.

Chapter 2 by SkyWriter
Author's Notes:


Thanks for your love! Pls keep in mind that I wrote this when I was 16 or 17. And thanks to @RedOne for your help with editing my shitty 16 yr old grammar and silliness. 

Chapter 2

 

The shrill sound of the phone echoed throughout Jody’s apartment, waking her up from a light sleep. She squinted at her alarm clock and saw that it was after 9 a.m. She jumped out of bed and scrambled to the phone, expecting the call to be from an angry boss. She snatched the phone right out of the cradle, “Hello!” She answered breathlessly, trying to sound composed, and attempting to hide the sleep from her voice.

 

“Ms. Winters, nice of you to answer the phone!” Said a sarcastic tone on the other end.

 

“Who’s speaking?” She wanted to know. She then came to the realization that it was Friday, her day off. It wasn’t her boss.

 

“It’s John Milford. I’m calling on behalf of your father. He would like me to set an appointment for the two of you to speak over lunch.” The voice replied patronizing her.

 

“My father?” She exclaimed, running her fingers through her hair. “What the hell?” She was outraged! How dare he! She thought to herself, his nerve will never cease to amaze me.

 

John never said a word; he knew that Jody was a rebellious, independent, and ungrateful woman. His assumption was that she played the stereotypical poor little rich girl role. As far as he could see, her father provided everything that she could have wanted. He only wished that he too, could give his family everything Cameron Winters gave his daughter.

 

“You can tell my father,” She began, speaking through clenched teeth, “That if he wants to see me and arrange for us to have another one of our warm and loving father/daughter conferences that he can contact me directly. Thank you, Mr. Milford.”

 

John Milford heard the click of the receiver being placed in to the phone cradle. He knew that Cameron would not be impressed with the result of the phone call.

 

**

 

Jody paced the room trying to calm down. She flipped the switch to turn the jug on for coffee. She needed something to calm her nerves. She went to the kitchen sink and splashed some cold water over her face in an attempt to wake herself up.

 

She was still angry with her father for hitting her, but she knew she couldn’t exactly expect anything less from him. What hurt her the most was the fact that he couldn’t even take the time out to call her himself, although it’s not like she would have listened to what he had to say, anyway.

 

She poured a black coffee and turned the thermostat on for some cool air, realizing that it was in the makings of becoming a beautiful hot day. She headed back to her bedroom, reflecting back on the previous night.

 

**

Michael gave a yawn and stretched out. He knew he had some things to do, and should check on the kids, but he couldn’t will himself to get up yet. The sun was creeping in to his bedroom through the crack of the drawn drapes. He rolled over and closed his eyes again.

 

Minutes later he heard the pitter-patter of sets of feet running across the floorboards. The door squeaked as it opened up and Elyse, Ryan and Chris were whispering loudly to one another.

 

“Shhhhhhhh!” Elyse hissed creeping towards the side of the bed to check if Michael was still asleep.

 

“Nooooo!” Chris said grabbing her arm, “Don’t wake Mike up!”

 

Michael tried not to smile listening to their debate. He let them argue for a few more minutes until he could tell that Elyse was getting a little whiney. Ryan held her arm so she couldn’t move any closer towards Michael.

 

“Lemme gooooooooo!” She whined, loudly.

 

Michael took this as a cue to open his eyes and pretend he had just woken. He yawned again, “Ryan let go of your sister.” He said in a tired, croaky, though gentle, voice. Elyse looked up and saw that he was awake.

 

The three kids began to jump all over the bed bursting in to fits of giggles knowing it was something that they would never ever get away with doing at home. Michael grabbed Elyse who was closest to him. He pulled her into his lap and began tickling her. She giggled uncontrollably. Chris and Ryan took this as their cue to rumble him.

 

Michael tried to get up. He had Chris on his back, he held Ryan under his arm and Elyse had wrapped herself around his leg. The boys were begging to be set back on the firm ground. He found it extremely hard to keep balance with Elyse wrapped around his leg so he put the kids down.

 

The phone began to ring. He went to head over towards it but couldn’t exactly move fast enough with Elyse refusing to let go. He walked unsteadily over to the extension on his bedside, dragging her across the floor, trying to stop his own giggles. “Hello?”

 

Chris and Ryan cheered and yelled noisily as they jumped all over Michael’s black silk sheets turning it into more of a pseudo-trampoline, than bed.

 

“Mr. Jackson, it’s Lisa Peters calling.” The woman spoke in to the phone. She stopped speaking when she heard the muffled yelling and giggling in the background.

 

“Uh….” Michael stopped, “I’m so sorry. Hold the line.” He put the phone down and peeled Elyse off of his leg and scooped her up, “Sorry sweetie, I have to take this call.” Michael turned to the two boys, “Chris, Ryan, can you keep it down a little? I have to take this call…It’s important, okay?”

 

The boys stopped and nodded. They were aware of how to behave when Michael was in the middle of important business. They kept right on jumping though, without the noise and more of a hushed whisper as Michael took the call outside of his room. “My apologies for keeping you waiting, Ms. Peters, I’m sort of babysitting right now.” He explained, “How can I help you?”

 

Lisa Peters smiled from her desk chair in her office. Michael was definitely the most charming man that she had ever worked with. He was kind and polite and always very thankful. He made her job a whole lot easier. She had just been working for him for a short amount of time as his lawyer “Mr. Jackson…” She began.

 

“Please, call me Michael.” He interjected.

 

Lisa smiled again and relaxed back in to her chair, “Okay, Michael…” She began again, “I received a letter this morning from the legal representatives of Mr. Ronald Stewarts, does that name ring any bells?”

 

Michael thought about it for a second. Elyse was wriggling around. He put her down and watched her run off. He sat down at his desk. “Hmm… no, I can’t say that it does…” He replied slowly and thoughtfully. He furrowed a brow, still thinking.

 

“Hmm, well whoever Mr. Stewarts is, he is suing you for plagiarism of Wanna be startin something” Lisa told him gently. “It seems that he believes that he co-wrote it with you in 1982 and wants his cut.”

 

Michael couldn’t believe his ears. He burst out laughing in disbelief. “You’re kidding, right? That song was written five years ago, even if he did co-write it, which he didn’t, but if he did, then why has it taken five years to come to his attention?” He wanted to know.

 

“Look,” Lisa said realizing that Michael was getting highly strung. “Don’t worry about it, Mr. Jac- Michael, I don’t know why Winters' & Co. are even taking this case, as Ronald Stewarts doesn’t have a leg to stand on. There’s no evidence and it’s your word against his.”

 

“Jeez…” He sighed, “That’s so pathetic. I haven’t done anything wrong!”

 

“I know.” Lisa empathized with him, “Michael, I’m going to contact Winters & Co. and arrange a meeting with their client. I would really like you to attend, will you be able to make it?”

 

Michael sighed again; he was supposed to be on a holiday. He hadn’t had a break for such a long time and he had basically promised the kids that he wouldn’t be working much and or at all during their stay with him. He didn’t want to break a promise, but on the other hand, he wasn’t about to let someone get away with telling blatant lies about something that never even occurred.

 

Lisa could tell that he was hesitating to answer. “I’ll tell you what, why don’t I call them with a list of available appointments and then I can get back to you and find out when the time is good.”

 

“No…” Michael interjected, “No, it’s okay, just go ahead and make an appointment.  And I’ll be there.”

 

“Thank you Michael.” She said, relieved. It was so much easier to defend him when he was actually around. Since she was still fairly new to her job, she was intimidated by a lot of huge firms that she had never been up against.  Michael took a chance when he hired her, and she was lucky to get such an amazing opportunity. So far, he was more than happy with the job she was doing.

 

Michael imagined how amusing and intimidating this would be if he attended the meeting. He definitely had to go. There was no way in the world he was going to let someone try to take the credit for any of his work.

 

“No, Ms. Peters, thank you.” He replied. “Just let me know…”

 

“Okay, Michael. Sorry to interrupt your holiday.” She apologized.

 

“Don’t apologize. Have a nice day, I’ll speak to you again later, right?”

 

“Right. You too, Michael, Bye.” Lisa Peters hung up with a sigh of relief.

 

Michael hung up the phone and tried to put his annoyance to rest. “Who wants breakfaaaaaaaaaaaaaaast?” He called loudly from the hallway hearing a chorus of “me, me, me’s” followed by thunderous footsteps running down the hall.

 

He smiled, relaxing again.

 

**

 

It was just after lunch when Jody’s doorbell rang. She was expecting her best friend Julia to pop in. Julia had just arrived from her twelve-week holiday overseas. Jody missed her so badly and was so excited to see her. She leapt up from the couch and headed towards the front door.


She swung the door open ready to give Julia a hug only to be harshly disappointed. “Oh…it’s only you.

 

Simon looked down upon the pretty young woman that stood before him. Her hair was pulled up in a casual ponytail with her bangs falling carelessly in to her face. Simon smirked at her sloppy attire. She wore an old gray wife beater and a pair of thin cotton pajama pants with animal prints on them.

 

Only me?” Simon chuckled, “I resent that!” He remarked adjusting his suit waiting for Jody to invite him inside. Normally Jody would have felt a little uncomfortable with letting someone so highly regarded see her dressed the way that she was, but for some reason she wasn’t slightly phased and ignored his initial smirk and conceited snicker.

 

“Ha.” Jody scoffed, “Tell me, what do I owe today’s pleasure?” She replied sarcastically.

 

“You’re so feisty, Jo, I love it!” He joked, “So, are you gonna let me in or do we have to stand out here all day?” He asked holding his arms out waiting for the complimentary kiss on each cheek, something Jody hardly ever partook in.

 

“Actually, here is kind of good for me.” She glanced at the suit he was wearing and the fake smile that was permanently plastered on his mouth and began to feel almost sick to the stomach. You are just like my father that’s exactly why he loves you. You’re his little robot that he orders around.

 

Simon scowled feeling a little annoyed himself, “I don’t get it Jody…” He said, dropping his arms by his sides, watching Jody lean up against the architrave of the doorway. “You and I-“

 

“There’s nothing to get,” She said softly, “I’m sorry…” She sighed, feeling bad,  “It’s just that I’m expecting someone, Simon. Just let me know what’s up and maybe I’ll give you a call later.”

 

“You’re expecting someone wearing that?” Simon scoffed looking her up and down in the attire that she was sporting.

 

Jody narrowed her eyes and looked down at her clothes, “What’s wrong with what I’m wearing? You know, there are other articles of clothing besides suits and ties and ridiculously over-priced dresses?” She took a deep breath realizing that she was over-reacting. The only reason why Simon was even here was because her father had sent him, like usual. Poor boy doesn’t know how to think for himself. I guess my father had to find someone else to control since I’m way out of the picture. She told herself.

 

“Jeez, calm down, I was kidding…What the hell is wrong with you? Have I done something to upset you?”

 

She immediately felt bad looking at the scowl that had formed upon his face. “No. You haven’t done anything wrong. I’m sorry, now is just not a good time, Simon, okay?”

 

“You could have just said that…”

 

“I’m saying it now. I’ll call you later, alright?”

 

“I was only coming here because your Dad wants to speak with you on Monday morning. He’s really upset with what happened the other night and wants to sort it out…I’m not supposed to leave here unless you agree to Monday lunch time.”


“Fine.” Jody said wanting nothing more than to get the oh-so snobby Simon out of her hair. “Fine, tell him I’ll be there. I’ll see you later.”

 

She barely gave him a chance to reply before she closed the door and locked it. She headed back to the family room and sat down on the couch trying to figure out why she was so stressed out. She had no reason to keep taking things out on everyone.

 

She propped a pillow under her head and stared at the blank TV screen as though she was waiting for it to magically turn on. She thought about her father and Simon and the immense pressure she’d been under. Jody worked two jobs, one as an office assistant and the other job as an English tutor for school children. She needed two jobs in order to keep her rent paid on time. Jody knew that she could own her apartment free and clear, if she would just take her father’s money. She'd agreed with herself when she moved out at age nineteen that if she wanted to be completely free from her father, she would have to avoid taking any hand outs from him.

 

She did it on her own, she was surviving and it felt much more rewarding this way. She just wanted to have a normal life, away from the complications that money created. She had normal friends, normal work peers and the same struggles as the real people that she surrounded herself with and she was proud of that. She didn’t need anything that her father could have offered and the only thing that she did ever need, he didn’t provide. That was the craving for a happy, safe, loving home, something that the Winters’ mansion had never been.

 

**

 

“So, Mr. Stewarts…” Cameron Winters’ began. He clasped his hands together and rested them on the papers that lie on the desk in front of him. Ronald Stewarts was seated in front of his lawyer’s desk. “Jackson’s lawyer contacted me yesterday afternoon and wanted to organize a meeting so that hopefully we can come to some sort of arrangement out of court.”

 

Mr. Stewarts nervously bounced his knee and fidgeted around in his seat smacking on gum. “How are my chances looking, Mr. Winters? I mean, realistically.”

 

Winters considered his question, “Jackson is a powerful man, but he also has a reputation to maintain and I’m quite sure he’d want to keep this on the hush. I think your chances are good, just let me do the talking.”

 

“The freak will probably scream innocent and cry a flood of tears as usual…” Stewarts rambled off.

 

Cameron chuckled, “Don’t worry, I’ll do everything in my power to make sure you get what you deserve.”

 

Stewarts gave his lawyer a firm handshake after they made the appointment for Monday 12:30pm. He left Cameron’s office.

 

Cameron pressed then buzzed his receptionist, “Margaret, will you send Simon in please.”

 

**

“Take a seat.” Cameron ordered Simon, who he believed would be one day, his son-in-law. “Did you get a chance to go see Jody?” Cameron asked as Simon reclined back in to the seat opposing him.

 

“Yeah, I did. She wasn’t very happy, Cameron, she nearly ripped my head off.”

 

Cameron didn’t reply, he too, reclined back in to the big expensive leather chair. He arched his fingers in to a diamond shape and looked pensively around the room, “I should have never let her move out,” he thought aloud. “She hasn’t been the same since.”

 

Simon didn’t know what to say. He was always a little nervous in front of Cameron. Simon liked Jody, he thought she was cute but she wasn’t anything special. She was too simple for him, he preferred someone who he could put upon a pedestal, a true Betty Home maker, he thought. Someone he could push around and still come back. Something that obviously the strong-minded Jody wasn’t.

 

What he did want was Mr. Winters’ money though, and he knew that if he married Jody he would be assured the second best position in the firm until Cameron retired. He knew that Cameron would look after him if he married Jody.

 

“I am going to give you Jody’s account number and I want you to make a few phone calls and deposit a few dollars into her account. Will you do that?” Cameron asked.

 

“Umm…” Simon went to protest, hating the fact that he was always being the gopher for Cameron, often feeling like more as a messenger boy rather than a prominent lawyer.

 

“Thank you, you’re a good boy, Mr. Harrison!”

 

Simon smiled weakly and took the information that Winters slid across the table.

 

 

End Notes:

Please leave a review or a rating if you love this :)

Chapter 3 by SkyWriter
Author's Notes:

Please leave a review if you like this chapter :) 

Chapter 3

 

Jody fastened the buttons of her white blouse and zipped up her knee-length black skirt. She glanced at her reflection in the mirror and adjusted her skirt a little. She hated the split in it. She pinned back her hair on one side, keeping it out of her face. She smiled at her reflection, feeling refreshed and satisfied with her attire.

 

She considered putting on makeup but then realized that she couldn’t be bothered, nor would there be any point. Why should I bother? I’m not out to impress, and even if I did meet someone I want to impress, they will eventually see me without makeup anyway. She told herself in order to justify her laziness.

 

She was only going to see her father and then she was going to head off to one of her tutoring client’s houses after lunch. She grabbed her purse and headed out the door reminding herself to stop off at the bank to withdraw her rent money.

 

 

“No…don’t goooooooo…” Chris pleaded, tugging at Michael’s arm, “You said you’d stay, Michaelllllllll….”

 

Michael felt bad for leaving them with a babysitter, “I’m sorry, you guys…” He said taking a seat on the edge of the leather armchair in the rec. room. “It’s just that it’s really, really important.”

 

Ryan scowled; Elyse didn’t seem too fussed. She simply gave Chris a little shove out of the way and climbed up and onto Michael’s lap. “Can we come?” She asked looking up at him with her big brown innocent eyes.

 

“It won’t be very much fun, Sweetie.  I won’t be long though, I promise. I just have to go and talk to a man and then I will come right back.” He tried to explain in simple terms.

 

Ryan folded his arms and hung his head fusing his eyebrows together in a grinch-like fashion.

 

“Aww, C’Mon Ryan, don’t be mad at me, I will be back after lunch, I promise.”

 

“Mommy said you’d be too busy for us!” Ryan replied.

It took everything in his power to stop Michael from rolling his eyes at what his brother Marlon’s wife said about him. “I’m not too busy for you.” He answered, feeling a little exasperated. “You’ll have fun with your babysitter, you guys like Sielle!”

 

Ryan started to cry, “I miss Daddy.”

 

Minute’s later Michael was left with three tear-filled children. He wondered how it had turned from harmonious play to tears in a matter of 30 minutes. He was feeling increasingly bad but didn't want to cancel the meeting; he knew he would be putting Lisa in a difficult position if he did.

 

“There’s no reason to cry. C’mon, you’re not babies, I’ll be gone and home before you even know it, and you’ll have fun with Sielle.” He tried to convince them. “When I get home we’ll do something special.”

 

“Promise?” Ryan asked poking out his lower lip.

 

“I promise.” Michael said gesturing to cross his heart, “Come on, I can’t be late.” He said.

 

“Are you ready, Mike?” Wayne called watching Michael emerge from inside with Ryan holding his hand.

 

“Yep.” He called, “Be there in a second.” Elyse and Chris were now standing with Sielle, their favorite babysitter. Despite their previous reluctance, they were ready to play outside in the sun and were no longer phased by Michael’s going out.

 

As soon as Michael went to let go of his hand, his tears began. Wayne stood impatiently, tapping his foot reminding Michael that they were already ten minutes behind schedule. He crouched down to Ryan’s height and tried his best to reason with him.

 

“Come on Ryan, we’ll go out and play on the swings.” Sielle tried to coax him, but he wasn’t buying it. She gave Michael a weak smile; “I’m really sorry Mr. Jackson.”

 

Michael glanced up at the babysitter and returned the smile, “It’s not your fault. They just miss Marlon and Veronica.”

 

“I wanna go with youuuuu, Mikey…” Ryan complained wrapping his arms around his favorite uncle. His nephews and niece had never really referred to him as Uncle, but rather Mikey.

 

Michael sighed, giving in. He knew it would be just as hard to try to pry Ryan off of him and then leave. He glanced at Sielle again, “I think I might take him with me. I’m going to be late otherwise.”

 

“Mike!” Wayne shouted from the car. Michael turned his attention to him. He tapped his watch, signaling for him to hurry. Michael was worried that Elyse and Chris would want to come with him too.

 

“Ryan is going to come to my boring meeting.” He announced to the other two kids. “Do you kids want to come to the boring meeting, too?”

 

Elyse and Chris exchanged disgusted expressions, “Poo, no way. We’re gonna play on the swings.”

 

Michael smiled with relief. “Are you sure you don’t want to stay, too?” He asked Ryan. Ryan was adamant, he shook his head and tightened his grip on Michael’s hand.

 

“Okay then, let’s go.”

 

 

What the fuck? Jody cursed to herself reading the bank receipt. She was confused. She had just over $500 in the bank to pay her rent and buy some groceries, though the receipt told her otherwise. Must be some kind of stupid bank error, she convinced herself. Rather than using the money, she took her card from the automated teller and headed in to the bank. She glanced at her watch, she was a little late, but she didn’t care.

She stepped up to the bank teller and leaned on the counter top. “Hi.” She smiled, “I was just wondering if you could double check my current bank balance, I think there’s been some kind of mistake.” She asked politely.

 

“Sure.” The lady behind the counter replied, taking her details and punching in a few buttons on her computer. She wrote down Jody’s current bank balance and handed slid it over the counter. “There you go.”

 

Jody read it and frowned, “I’m sorry ma’am, there’s got to be some mistake, I’ve never had that kind of money in my account before….” Her voice trailed off. That bastard! She thought to herself.

 

“I can only tell you whe-“

 

“No…” she cut in, “It’s alright, I just remembered. I’m sorry. I’d like to withdraw that entire $6000, please.”

 

The bank teller gave her a suspicious look and went on with the process anyway.

 

 

Their car pulled up outside Lisa Peters’ office. “I’ll be right back.” Wayne told Michael, getting out of the driver’s side and heading to get Lisa.

 

Ryan had barely said a word the entire way. He knew that he had to behave. Sometimes Wayne had a tendency to scare children and although he hadn’t said anything at all to Ryan, he feared him.

 

“Are you alright?” Michael asked, wondering why Ryan hadn’t spoken a word.

 

“Yes.” Ryan nodded, looking out of the window. Michael reached to the glove compartment in between the front seats and pulled out some Kleenex that Wayne kept.

 

“Here you go…” Michael said passing him a few, “Give your face a little bit of a wipe, man, you don’t want people to think I’m not taking care of you, right?” He smiled. He also sensed that perhaps Ryan was under the assumption that he was upset with him. – He wasn’t.

 

Ryan thanked his uncle and wiped his eyes and face and handed it back.

 

Michael took the tissue and put it in a plastic bag on the floor of the car in which was filled with fast-food rubbish and other sorts. He couldn’t help to snicker at the amount of empty burger wrappers and paper cups.

 

He glanced in to the review mirror and saw that Lisa Peters was walking alongside Wayne towards their car. She was wearing a pink skirt suit with a white blouse. He noticed Wayne falling behind her a few paces to check her out from the back; her auburn hair was pulled up into a sleek French roll. She held a small briefcase that contained the legal documents for Michael’s case.

 

Michael got out of the passenger seat. “Hi.” He smiled at Lisa, “How are you?” He extended his hand.

 

“Hi Mr. Jackson.” She replied, returning the smile and handshake. She went to open the back door.

 

“You can sit up front.” He told her, gesturing towards the passenger seat. She protested at first but Michael insisted. He took a seat in the back of the car with Ryan.

 

“Who’s this?” Lisa asked noticing a little boy sitting in the backseat looking like he’d just been crying a flood of tears.

 

“Ah…This is my nephew, Ryan.” Michael replied as Ryan studied Lisa inquisitively. “I’m sorry but I couldn’t leave him at home…” He apologized to her.

 

“Pftt…” Wayne scoffed, “Those kids have got you wrapped around their little fingers.”

 

Michael raised his eyebrow; Wayne had been annoying him all morning and he didn’t appreciate him speaking like that in front of Ryan. “Wayne, just concentrate on the drive.” He instructed him, shortly.

 

Ryan’s lower lip began to tremble, “It’s okay…” Michael whispered to Ryan, “Don’t worry about Wayne, he’s a big fat meany.”

 

Ryan covered his mouth and giggled as though Michael had just told him a secret. Michael chuckled, “See, nothin’ to cry about.” He finished, tousling his nephew’s hair.

 

Ryan had dark brown curly hair. He was dark skinned just like his brother and sister. In fact, the three kids carried most of the same striking looks as their father, Marlon. Ryan, unlike his brother and sister had his mothers beautiful sparkling hazel colored-eyes. He was more sensitive than his brother and sister; he was destined to be a heartthrob.

 

 

Jody marched right past Margaret at the front office and right on through to Cameron Winter’s office. The door slammed shut loudly behind her. Jody reached in to her purse and pulled out the small bag of crisp $100 bills and thrust them down hard on his desk. “How dare you?” She exclaimed, raising her voice at him.

 

Cameron glanced down at the money pouch. “Lower your voice!” He snapped at her as he rose out of his seat.

 

“Stop trying to run my fucking life!” She yelled, her voice again raising several octaves in defiance. “I don’t want you, I don’t want your fucking filthy money and I don’t want to hear from any of your stupid fucking associates either! Do you understand?”

 

Cameron Winters leaned over his desk more so that he was inches from her face. She noticed the beads of sweat on his upper lip. She had the biggest urge to spit in his face but knew it would be her own funeral if she did.

 

“Lower. Your. Voice.” He said through clenched teeth.

 

“I will not lower my voice until you finally agree to leave me the hell alone!” She courageously stood up to him.

 

Her father’s anger was boiling. His face had turned bright red and sweat had formed in a matter of seconds. He had never ever had anyone speak to him in this kind of tone and he didn’t like it one bit.

 

He grabbed her small frame with his hands and gave her a shake, “What the hell is wrong with you?” He said keeping his voice in an angry whisper. “What the fucking hell is wrong with you?” He repeated, stunned that she had even had the audacity to speak to him in that way.

 

Jody said nothing. She was scared but of course she didn’t let it show. The urge to spit on him was hard to restrain, now. He let go of her, sending her a few unsteady steps backwards. Once she regained her composure, she paused for a second. She stood behind a chair and steadied herself. She looked around the room biting her lip so that the tears of frustration and anger wouldn’t start falling.

 

“I have always despised you, for as far as I can remember, did you know that?” She said resuming her normal voice with the utmost disgust in her tone. She took a few steps back.

 

Cameron edged around his desk towards her again. “You can do whatever you want, but you can’t change this feeling…” She added as the tears began to flow down her cheeks. She knew that she was probably going to receive some kind of hard blow, so she should get everything else off of her chest, while she was at it.

 

“I demand you to stop speaking to me like that, right now.”

 

She emitted an awkward laugh as if to relieve the tension that had filled her body. She wiped her eyes with the back of her hand, thanking the good Lord above that she hadn’t bothered with make up. “You see, Dad, I’m not a kid anymore…” Her voice trailed off, “I’m not like one of your little office puppets that you can order around. I won’t do that anymore.”

 

Cameron’s anger didn’t subside, it grew stronger as she spoke each word, knowing that she meant everything she said by the way she trembled each time another word escaped her lips.

 

“I’m so tired…” She started, again, speaking somewhat more freely, gaining more confidence as she continued “I’m tired physically and emotionally of having to deal with you and the way you brought me up. Whenever I look at you it’s a constant fucking reminder of all the pain you put my mother and I through.” Jody stopped to wipe her eyes as she was completely blinded by the fresh tears that flowed without restraint. She swallowed hard, knowing that her father was about to lose it.

 

She took a long look at his face and found herself clenching her fists tightly, her body livid with anger. “Your face makes me sick to my fucking stomach. I hate you.”

“Joan…” Cameron smiled as if reminiscing momentarily of her Mother. Jody’s skin crawled at his fake remorse.

 

“You don’t even deserve to speak her fucking name.” She muttered looking around the room.

 

Cameron snapped back to his anger mode.

 

“I don’t want to see you again, Dad…I don’t want to see you or Simon or anyone else for that fucking matter.” She added staring him long and hard in the eyes. His eyes showed no mercy, remorse or any kind of sad emotion. He was a cold man. She turned away and began towards the office door.

 

His sudden inability to speak or function dispersed. He grabbed her wrist and jerked her back towards him. She gave a little cry as his grip on her wrist tightened. He cupped her cheeks in his hands firmly. She struggled to break free of his grasp, when it didn’t work she spat in his face. “I fucking hate you!” She said angrily.

 

He let go of her arm and raised his hand back to strike her. The hit across the face sent her stumbling. She glanced up at her father and narrowed her eyes; “I meant every word of what I said.” She fixed her hair quickly and headed out of the office, slamming the door exceptionally hard behind her, leaving Cameron dumbfounded and upset.

 

 

“Ryan, you sit here with Wayne, I won’t be long. Okay?” Ryan shook his head and inched closer towards Michael. Wayne made sure Michael wasn’t watching and gave the boy a mean smile and crunched his knuckles.

 

“Stop it, Wayne.” Michael said turning around and throwing his bodyguard a filthy look.

 

“What?” Wayne asked raising his eyebrow, trying to play it innocent.

 

“I saw you in the reflection” Michael said pointing to the rear-view mirror on the car door. Michael crouched down to Ryan; “Wayne wants to keep his job.” He said, “And he is going to be a nice guy and take you to the park down the road for a little while.”

Ryan’s eye lit up. Wayne scowled.

 

“Come back here in 30 minutes.” Michael instructed Wayne, “And maybe you can somehow find it in your black heart to be nice to him!” He added with mock-seriousness.

 

“I’ll see you soon, Champ.” He said turning to Ryan giving him a high five.

 

“Are you ready?” Lisa asked Michael as they started up towards the lobby of Winters & Co. office.

 

“Sure am.” Mike replied as she gave him a brief idea of what would be happening.

 

Lisa’s phone rang. “Damn!” She cursed, she turned to Michael, “You go right ahead, I’ll just take this call real quick.”

 

 

Everyone turned their heads to see Jody storming out of Mr. Winters’ office. Her head lowered in shame scared that someone would see her tears or maybe the trickle of blood from her lip from her fathers hit.

 

Disapproving, knowing glances and smirks were exchanged amongst the workplace. Jody kept on down her path not even attempting to look at anyone. She wanted to get out of there and just drive as far as she could.

 

“Whoa…” Said a voice. Jody felt a huge bump as she tripped and fell back on to the floor clumsily. She cursed herself audibly. “Sorry…” She mumbled.

 

In her line of vision she saw an extended hand. She glanced up to find none other than Michael Jackson, standing in front of her. “Here, let me help you up.”

 

She prayed that he wouldn’t recognize her from the previous night.

 

Michael stopped looked her in the eye and realized exactly who she was. She had the mark on her cheek to re-affirm it. At first he didn’t realize her tears, or the fact that her upper bottom lip was bleeding. 

 

She hesitated and took his hand and let him hoist her back to her feet. “I’m sorry, I wasn’t exactly watching where I was going.” She mumbled, lowering her eyes to his patent leather shoes. She was anxious to leave, scared that her father would be trailing somewhere.

 

“That’s okay I-“ He went to say something else and then noticed. “What on earth…?”

 

“I’m fine, I’m fine.” She rushed, “I’ve gotta go, sorry.” She slipped past him and out of down the corridor, almost bowling over Lisa, too.

 

He whirled around to call out to her wondering what had happened, forgetting that it was none of his business. “Whoa…” He said again, “I wonder what that was about.”

 

“Who knows?” She shrugged. “Come on, we don’t want to be late.” She quickened her pace, forgetting about the anxious girl in an instant. Michael on the other hand, seemed to be quite troubled by the expression of fear and anguish that clouded Jody’s eyes.

 

“Take a seat, I’ll let Mr. Winters know that you have arrived.” Said Margaret, Cameron’s secretary.

 

Michael and Lisa both took a seat in the lobby of the office.

 

A few moments later a man approached. He sat down across from Michael in the lobby. He tried to hold in his smug smile. Michael was looking around nervously and noticed another man sitting down. He knew just by the look upon the man’s face that it was Ronald Stewarts. He felt himself began to grow angry, but he wasn’t about to lose his cool.

 

Ronald caught Michael’s eye and quickly glanced the other way. Michael shot daggers right through him hating the fact that he had a lawsuit against him for something that never even occurred.

 

“Mr. Winters will see you all now.” Margaret announced opening Cameron’s office door allowing Stewarts to enter first followed by Lisa and Michael. That’s big of him. Michael thought.

 

The three followed Cameron to a meeting room adjoining his office. Lisa and Michael took a seat on the opposing side of Cameron and Ronald. The two parties were ready to come out on top. Michael was adamant about making no attempts for an out-of-court settlement, as this person was a complete and utter stranger to him. He wasn’t willing to pay out a blatant liar. It just wasn’t fair.

 

Michael said nothing and continued shooting dagger stares at Ronald in hopes of making him feel uncomfortable. It was working. Ronald folded his hands in front of him ignoring Michael’s stare.

 

“So…” Lisa cleared her throat. Cameron was looking extremely stressed out. Sweat had formed on his upper brow and it was clear that he had his mind elsewhere.

 

“Right…We all know why we’re here, perhaps we should get down to business.”

 

“Perhaps.” Michael couldn’t help but to repeat facetiously.

 

“Mr. Stewarts claims that in 1982 you both co-wrote a song called “Wanna be startin’ something” and later Mr. Jackson removed his name from the credits and he was robbed of all royalties.”

 

Michael threw his head back and let out a laugh of disbelief. He shook his head reminding himself to keep his cool and remain professional. He felt Lisa nudged him in the ribs. “I’m sorry,” He said clearing his throat, “That’s false.” He made eye contact with Ronald Stewarts, “And you know it. I have no idea whom you are, sir.”

 

“Please do not address my client.” Mr. Winters said to Michael firmly, already becoming agitated with him.

 

“My client denies any apparent meeting with Ronald Stewarts.” Lisa replied just as professionally. “He has never met your client.”

 

Michael folded his arms. Ronald Stewarts watched Cameron open a folder that contained legal documents. He pulled out a sheet of paper and slid it across to Michael. “Maybe this will refresh your memory.”

 

Michael took the sheet and looked at it. It was a copy of the studio schedule dated back to 1982. “What’s this supposed to be?” He asked giving a shrug, putting it back down on the table. His eyes were filled with fire, starting to get more livid as the accusations got more intense.

 

Lisa took the sheet and looked over it. She didn’t see anything significant about it either; she too looked at Cameron Winters expectantly.

 

“That is a document that stated Mr. Jackson’s studio schedule on the day that this song was recorded in Burbank.” Cameron supplied as if it were supposed to give them some big hint.


“So?” Michael asked raising his eyebrow, glancing occasionally at Ronald. “You might like to know that I wrote that song in the comfort of my own home, I don’t always record right after I write them, and if I do it’s right into a Dictaphone.”

 

Cameron glanced at Ronald, “State your side of the story, Mr. Stewarts. Recount what happened for our amnesiac right here.”

 

“Excuse me?” Michael said rising up in his seat, “I don’t care ho-“

 

“Michael, let me handle this.” Lisa told him firmly, “Sit down.”

 

Stewarts held Michael’s eye contact without looking away, “I first met Michael in 1980, I used to do a bit of writing for some underground bands, Michael called me to tell me he liked my stuff.”

 

“That is absolute garbage.” Michael raised his voice.

 

“Excuse me.” Cameron Winters’ interrupted Ronald’s story, “Ms. Peters you should see to it that your clients appear at these sorts of meetings in an orderly fashion.”

 

Lisa blushed, “Michael, please.” She said looking at him pleadingly, she knew Cameron Winters was a very powerful prosecutor and wanted to appear professional so that her reputation would be more respected.

 

Michael saw that she was embarrassed and closed his mouth, letting Stewarts continue.

 

“Michael liked my stuff and said that we should get together and spit out some ideas and see how things go.” Stewarts took a breath and glanced at Michael and Cameron to make it seem more convincing. Michael had his head bowed clenching his fists and doing everything but screaming out like he wanted to.

 

“At first I was so honored because I was such a big Michael Jackson fan, but we got together at the studio on the day that appears on the schedule sheet and we wrote “Wanna be startin something” in a matter of a few hours. He said that he’d call me and that was the last I ever heard from him.”

 

“Cute story.” Lisa said curtly, “Now my client would like a chance to speak.”

 

“I sure would.” Michael jumped at the opportunity. “I have no idea who this man in front of me is. I have no knowledge of any songwriting abilities he may or may not possess. I don’t wish to settle anything in this room today as he was never involved in the writing of any of my songs.” He turned to Stewarts, “You sir, are an opportunist and I’ll pray for you.”

 

“Do NOT address my client!” Cameron reminded him.

 

“Why not?” Michael asked, standing up. Lisa tried to get him to sit back down but he had already lost his temper, “Why is it alright for this cheater to waltz in to your office, interrupt my very peaceful vacation with blatant lies about something that never even occurred?”

 

“You’re the liar, you need help. You think that just because you’re famous that everyone is going to believe you? Well think again, Mr. Big shot, I will get exactly what I deserve from that song.” Stewarts said, standing up too.

 

“That’s right. You’ll get nothing. Exactly what you deserve!”

 

“Michael, sit your ASS down!” Lisa snapped. Michael was surprised and sat down in his chair before he could even blink again.

 

“I told you to let me handle this!” She hissed in his ear.

 

Michael gave a sigh.

 

Cameron and Stewarts both exchanged small smiles knowing that they had hit Michael where it hurt. Cameron had his doubts about Stewarts’ story but after the ego that Michael had just displayed and the anger still coursing through his veins after Jody’s demonstration, he was ready to bring him down either way.

 

“So, if I gave you our first offer of a $30 thousand settlement what would you say?” Cameron asked delivering the figures on a piece of paper and sliding them across to Michael and Lisa.

 

“I would say go to hell.” Michael said getting up and leaving the office. Lisa got up too and smiled at Cameron, “And I would follow. See you in court Winters.”

 

Chapter 4 by SkyWriter
Author's Notes:

I'm so sorry for how awful some of this writing is.... lol 16 and 17 yrs old, folks! hahaha. Please leave a comment if you wish to review... its okay if you commiserate with how awful it is, I wont be upset.... 

Chapter Four


Michael headed down the corridor with Lisa in hot pursuit. She quickened her pace until she fell in to step with him. “Michael, what the hell was that?”


Michael didn’t say a word. His jaw was set in a firm line, obviously angry as he kept on down the stairs and out of the lobby.


“You made yourself look like an impulsive fool back there, thank you very much!” Lisa snapped again a little breathlessly trying to keep up.


He stopped and turned to face her, “No, you didn’t do anything that helped back there Ms. Peters.  You just stifled what I needed to say to maintain my innocence, that guy had the right to tell his story, so your job is to support me in establishing mine as the truth!”

Lisa gave a sigh of resignation, “We both know that you’re innocent.” She began, “Heck, Stewarts and Winters are both probably well aware that you’re innocent, too. They want money out of you and having you lose the plot like you did back there will not help you win this case!” She said with obvious agitation.


“Fine…” He said turning away and heading towards the car again. He noticed that Wayne and Ryan were sitting on the hood of the car eating ice creams. Michael raised his eyebrow wondering what had gotten in to Wayne.


His eyes swept over the car park and settled upon a bright orange Volvo. It was making a loud sputtering noise as it back-choked a few times. “Hey, how’d it go?” Wayne asked watching them draw closer. Lisa said nothing and got in to the car practically throwing her briefcase down.


“Mikeeeey!” Ryan called loudly. Michael gave him a weak smile and lifted him off of the hood. The noise of the Volvo sounded again, the horrible broken-down sound. Michael looked back over at the car and saw the figure hop out of the driver’s side and curse. She went around to the front and opened the hood.


“I’ll be back in a second…” Michael said, placing Ryan down onto the ground and heading over towards Jody’s obviously broken down car.


“Look and learn, Ryan…” Wayne snickered, “That’s your uncle getting his mack on!”


Lisa rolled her eyes and tried to find something interesting to preoccupy her time waiting.



Jody’s tears subsided now, she wanted just so badly to get away from her father, and then her normally trusty Volvo wouldn’t start. She’d had to cancel her tutoring appointment since she was such a mess. It was close to 1p.m and she knew that her father would try to make contact with her at any time, especially if word got out that she was still at the office. She didn’t even have a cell to call someone to come and repair it.


“Shit.” She muttered trying relentlessly to start the old beast.“Pleasepleasepleaseplease start, pleaseeeee not now…please not now…”  She begged.


The car made a horrible dying sound and then stopped altogether. She got out and opened the hood trying to work out what the problem was without asking anyone for help. She was aware of how stupid she would appear to be to an onlooker. Her lip still felt sore and a little cut, but the marks that her father had left were in the back of her mind. Right now she just wanted to go home to bed and have a good cry in her own personal space.


“Excuse me…” A gentle voice sounded from behind her. As she whirled around Michael’s voice rang out, “Careful of your he-“ He said quickly as she bumped her head on the underside of the open hood.


“Owww!” She cried, raising her hand to her head where she’d just hit it.


Michael frowned and took a tentative step closer, “Are you alright?”


She nodded dumbly. She was surprised. The trim figure that towered right over her was looking back at her with big concerned brown eyes that locked with her own eyes for a few brief moments, before she scolded herself.


Michael found himself smoothing down his shirt and appeared hesitant. “I was wondering if you were okay earlier, you seemed a little hurt.” He said touching his own lip in reference to her own small gash. Jody ran her fingers through her hair and found her voice.


“I’m fine, really.” She spoke in a weak vague tone. She really wasn’t fine. She was a wreck, barely holding it together. “Cracked lips and all…” She mumbled.


“What’s wrong with the car?” Michael asked, realizing that she wasn’t about to give him any details as they were relative strangers; he didn’t even know her name. He gave the old, obviously loved, Volvo a gentle pat.


Deep down Jody wished that he would pursue the question, knowing that he wasn’t dumb enough for the cracked lip excuse. He didn’t though; he respected her privacy and didn’t hound the issue even though they both knew full well that she was covering something.


She heaved a heavy sigh, “I don’t know what’s wrong with it…It just won’t start…” She frowned. Michael watched her rake her fingers through her hair again, nervously. She bit her upper lip.


Michael was looking into the car as if he knew something about it. “Hmm…” He wondered, “I only specialize in music….” He let out a fake chuckle, “I have no idea what half of that stuff even is.”


“That’s half more than what I know…” She replied close to tears.


“Why don’t you go inside Winters office and ask to use a phone?” He suggested. “I’d give you mine but I don’t have it with me…”


A tear slipped down Jody’s cheek at the sound of her father’s name, at the slight mention of him. She quickly wiped it away but as soon as it was gone more filled her eyes.


“Hey…” He said quickly noticing her tears, “It’s nothing to cry about…It’s just a car…”
He was so used to having fans crying hysterically at the sight of him, he’d been so accustomed to being able to just lean over and give them a hug. This was somewhat different.


“I’m fine…Really…” She insisted trying to wipe her eyes. She felt so foolish not being able to hold it together in front of one of the most intimidating famous men on the Earth. He probably thinks that I’m some psycho obsessed fan…Why oh why did this happen to me today of all days?


He felt bad and wanted to comfort her somehow. He placed a hand gently on her shoulder. She flinched involuntarily away from his touch.


“Sorry…” He quickly apologized, not really knowing what else he could do since she wasn’t exactly buying his suggestion to go back into the office. He was aware that was where she had just fled and since she seemed to be in such a rush to leave there he gathered that she wasn’t in a rush to go back. “Look…” He began taking a chance, she was a stranger but he felt calmed by the fact that she wasn’t going crazy over him. She looked harmless and in desperate need of some help.


“The people that I’m here with are waiting for me… If you like I can take you back to my place and you can call a tow truck or whomever you need to come and fix your car.” He said, trying to sound formal so that she wouldn’t get the wrong impression that he was trying to hit on her.


Jody wiped her eyes, quickly thinking over the offer.  Normally she would have refused the mere suggestion but right now she was so scared that her Dad was going to emerge from the office that she would have done anything to get away. “Okay…” She agreed. “Thank you, I really, really appreciate it.”


“It’s no problem.” He answered. “You lock the car.” He instructed her as he pulled the hood down. He began walking towards his car. “No wise-cracks.” He said firmly to Wayne before Jody reached earshot.


Michael opened the back door for Jody who had put on her sunglasses to hide her tears. She slipped in to the car next to Ryan. Lisa had already claimed the passenger side. Michael walked around the car and got in too.


“Wayne, we’re heading home after we drop Lisa off.”


Wayne raised his eyebrows and drove on without a word.


“So anyway…” Lisa Peters began, still annoyed at what had happened in the office. “Mr. Jackson, we need to continue our discussion.  This is important.”


Michael felt equally annoyed that she was continuing to press the topic in front of a complete stranger. “Ms. Peters.” Michael began sweetly, “I don’t want to discuss this right now.”


Lisa shook her head, obviously angry. Before this, she had been completely respectful of Michael, treating him with an awe that was reminiscent of a fan. “As you wish.” She muttered.


Michael glanced at Jody and saw the confusion on her face.  She’d probably tied together that Lisa’s problem had something to do with a legal as she had just seen him heading in to Winters’ office. She was probably curious as to why he was there.  He felt a pang of nervousness as he wondered if this would end up in the paper.


Ryan was quiet and turned away from Michael, busy studying Jody who was facing the window trying to draw as little attention to herself as possible. “What’s wrong lady?” He asked staring at her with his big inquisitive eyes.


Jody blushed and turned around so that she was facing Ryan, a smile gradually appeared on her face, as though battling an internal struggle, “I’m just a bit mad that my car is broken.” She replied softly, trying to clear her throat.


“Ooh.” His eyes went wider as his lips formed an o shape, in surprise, “You are the lady from the beach!”


Michael smiled knowing he hadn’t been wrong.


“Yes, that’s me…” She was just as surprised that the little boy had remembered.


“You look sad…” Ryan told her. Michael glanced up realizing they were back at Lisa’s office.  Wayne got out of the car to escort Lisa inside, probably using it as an excuse to ask her out on a date. It was quite obvious from the first time they’d met, that he had fancied her.


Michael hadn’t said a word; he was just observing Jody. Her dark sunglasses covered the fact that she had been crying. He knew something was wrong, he could tell by her whole demeanor.


Jody just kept up with her fake smile, “What’s your name?”


“I’m Ryan Jackson.” Ryan replied proudly.


“It’s nice to meet you Ryan Jackson.” She smiled beginning to appear a little more relaxed. She shook Ryan’s hand. “I’m Jody.”


“I’m Michael…” Michael butted in extending his hand to shake Jody’s. “Sorry that I didn’t introduce myself, properly before.”


She smiled at Michael’s hand and shook it.  “I want to thank you for doing this…” She said, appearing to be searching for words, “I really, really appreciate it.”


Michael’s lips spread in to the makings of a bashful smile. “It’s no problem…I’m glad that I could be of service.”


Ryan watched Michael and Jody like a tennis ball. “Is this your friend, Mikey?” The ever inquisitive Ryan asked.


“A friend of sorts…” Michael replied tousling his nephews hair and glancing at Jody to give her a wink.


Jody summoned up a weak smile before turning to look back out the window. Michael was troubled by her apparent disinterest. He found himself watching her intently, expecting her to turn to ask him something or attempt conversation – but she didn’t. She remained so quiet and introverted that it bothered him. He was so curious to know what had happened back in the firm office.


Wayne jogged back to the car; he got in and turned around to face Michael, “Sorry about that. Ms. Peters and I were arranging a date.” He gloated.


“That’s spectacular.” Michael patronized him, “Now let’s get back home.”


Wayne frowned and started the car again. He was annoyed with Michael’s attitude and the way he had belittled Lisa, which she had briefly filled him in on, as he’d escorted her back inside her office.


The drive back to Michael’s place was a quiet one. Jody never uttered a solitary word the entire way. The only conversation was between Michael and Ryan, but after a little while, Ryan began to fall asleep, leaning his head on Michael’s arm.


As they drove in the gates and the car halted to a stop, Elyse and Christopher came running from a swing set not far from the driveway to greet Michael. “Mikeeeey….” They shouted.


Michael smiled broadly and picked both Chris and Elyse up and lifted them over his head as if they were featherweights. This sent the kids in to fits of giggles and squeals. He placed them back on the ground and smoothed his clothing back down. “I told you I wouldn’t be long. Did you two have fun with Sielle?” The kids nodded, obviously glad that Michael was home.


Momentarily Michael had forgotten about Jody, though Elyse had just noticed her and of course, like Ryan, realized who she was. “Hellooooo!” Elyse said happily skipping over towards Jody.


There was a sort of emptiness that Michael saw in Jody, as though she was not used to seeing such happiness, or maybe she just felt left out during his greeting by his niece and nephew?  Either way, she seemed lost in thought, oblivious to the little girl attempting to get her attention.  Surprise came over her face when Elyse reached up and tugged at her shirt impatiently.


“Elyse!” Michael scolded her. “Don’t do that!”


Elyse gave Michael a glance and turned back to Jody. “Remember me?” She asked giving her a huge toothy smile. Michael watched with pride at his adorable niece as she bounced up and down, the ribbon at the end of her dark curly braided hair, jostling back and forth.


Jody smiled back at the pretty little girl, “Of course I remember.”


Michael watched Elyse engage in a quick conversation with Jody. The entire time, she never took her sunglasses off. It was apparent that she still wasn’t in a good mood. He glanced down at her skirt, fixing his eyes on her legs. They were brown and smooth, looking slightly athletic. He let his eyes wander more over her backside and waist, realizing just how small framed she was. He peeled his eyes away from her, realizing that he had just given her the once over. His cheeks burned with embarrassment and he only prayed that she hadn’t noticed.


“So…” He said, glancing anywhere but directly at her, “Did you want to come and use the telephone, now?”

“Yes please.” Jody answered curtly.


“Okay, follow me, I’ll show you where it is.” Michael said stepping in front of her. She followed him up the path inside his house. Elyse was skipping along next to her and somehow had managed to slip her hand in to Jody’s.


As Jody walked in to the foyer she stopped almost in her tracks, obviously flabbergasted with the beauty of his home. He loved watching peoples’ reactions upon first seeing his house. It always gave him a new perspective.  He watched her face move as she scanned up and down, probably looking at the antique wood furniture, the freshly vacuumed rugs, and the paintings on the walls.


Michael smiled softly, “It’s beautiful, isn’t it?”


Jody, who was about to make a compliment before Michael spoke, closed her mouth. He silently reprimanded himself, had that sounded egotistical?  He became uncomfortable as he recalled how worn out her car was.  She just gave a little nod. “There’s the phone,” He said pointing to a mantle piece sitting between a large couch.


“Thanks.” She mumbled coldly.


Michael took Elyse’s hand, “Come on, give her some privacy.” He exited the room but stopped by the doorway. He wanted to wait, just in case. He didn’t know and although she seemed okay, he didn’t exactly want to leave a stranger in his home.


Jody dialed a number from memory, likely that of a friend. After about 30 seconds, someone must have answered because he saw Jody’s shoulders soften.


“Hey, it’s me…” Jody said softly into the receiver.


Silence.


“Jules…I need your help…” Jody’s voice began to tremble.


Michael sat outside the doorway, he tried not to listen but curiosity got the better of him, even though he knew it was wrong. He strained to listen.


“I got in to the biggest fight with my father over money…I’ll explain it all later…I need you to pick me up.” Her voice cracked.


Silence. Michael felt awkward now, like he was invading her privacy, but he couldn’t seem to get his feet to move.


“That’s the most fucked up part…” Jody said, half-sobbing and half-giggling. “I’m at Michael Jackson’s property.”


Michael hoped that whoever she was talking to was someone that could be trusted.  He hadn’t thought about the fact that whoever came to get her would need to come through the gates.


“Los Olivios…” Jody squeaked, obviously uncomfortable in this conversation. “I’ll explain later, I just really need you.”


Silence.


“Long story…” She said. “These rich people are all the same…” She sighed, “they immerse themselves in the finest looking material things…automatically assuming they are of a higher rank…”


Silence.


“No…he gave me privacy … he probably has his phone bugged…” She scoffed.


Silence.


“Yeah…you’re right.” Jody then proceeded to give the address.


Michael’s ears stung at hearing all of this. He got up and walked further down the hallway not wanting her to know that he’d heard it all. A few moments later she emerged from the room. She hadn’t bothered removing her sunglasses. Her stride faltered when she saw Michael standing at the end of the hall.  Feeling torn between feeling impatience and hurt after having heard everything she’d said, Michael asked, “everything okay?”


Jody nodded.


He felt hurt that she had assumed those things about him but he wasn’t about to stoop to her level and be rude, he was just going to have to prove her wrong. “Is someone picking you up?” He asked gently.


“Yeah…I can go wait out the front if you like.” She offered.


“You don’t have to wait outside. Would you like a drink or anything while you are waiting?”


The two stood in the hall, both obviously uncomfortable and awkward. There was a definite tension in the air. Jody looked as though she was considering his question. “Uh…no thank you, I’ll be fine.”


“Are you sure?” He insisted, “I’m actually going out to get something cold to drink right now…so?” He wanted her to say yes, he wanted her company for some reason. There was some kind of mystery about her that he wanted to figure out. He had temporarily forgotten about what was said on the phone call. She had a look, so bittersweet, her lips in a pout. He found himself staring at them and quickly fleeted his eyes away from her mouth to her eyes.


“Alright, only if it isn’t too much trouble.” She agreed. She suddenly relaxed again. She pushed her sunglasses off of her eyes, up on to her head. It was the first time that he’d seen her face properly without something shielding it from his view.


As she lowered her eyes, he noted that she had the longest lashes he’d ever seen. She had a small beauty spot under her right eye. He gave her a smile, telling himself that she was beautiful. “Okay, follow me…”


She followed Michael down a long winding corridor that led towards the kitchen. Decorating the hallway walls were photographs of various people he’d met as well as some family.


“Take a seat.” He offered, pulling out a stool at the breakfast bar for her. He felt a little more comfortable now that they were in the kitchen. While it was large, it was a very normal looking kitchen.


“What would you like to drink?” He asked opening the refrigerator and looking at its contents


“Water is fine, thanks” She said politely. She looked to be surprised by the kitchen. Was it not what she’d expected from a person who immerses himself with ‘grandiose things’?  He took two tall glasses from a shelf above his head and took the water pitcher from the fridge and filled both glasses to the rim. He took a container of ice from the freezer, “Here,” he said with a little smile, “Take some ice…”


Jody returned his smile and took two cubes to put in her glass. Michael did the same before he sat down too, taking a sip. Just as he took a gulp of the water, the three kids came barreling down the hallway yelling at one another.


Michael set his glass down and wiped his mouth, “What’s going on?” He called out, frowning.


At this, Elyse ran in to the room screaming as the boys chased her. “Nooooooo” She squealed hugging her favorite teddy bear, obviously close to tears.


“TIME OUT!” Michael raised his voice firmly. The three kids both stopped in their tracks surprised. When he had their attention he continued, “Now what on Earth is going on?”

Jody watched with curiosity – she wondered how long it would take for Michael to lose his temper with them.


The kids remained silent – their eyes big and innocent. “Nothing.” Chris mumbled.


“Elyse?” Michael asked looking right at her.


“They want to steal my Teddy.” She sniffled. “And hurt him too!”


“She broke our sand castle!” Ryan accused. “It was big and everything!” He said placing his hands on his hips.


“Look,” Michael began in a firm authoritative voice, “No one is going to be stealing anyone’s toys, and no one is going to be breaking anyone else’s sandcastles, understand?”


The three kids nodded sheepishly. “But…” Chris began.


“No buts!” Michael cut him off. “Now, go and play and if there is anymore fighting I’m not going to be happy, got it?”


Jody had remained quiet this entire time.


The kids stomped off, whispering and mumbling to themselves. Michael let out a chuckle when they were out of earshot. “They’re funny kids.” He informed Jody who seemed to be fascinated in her drink.


“They seem like it. How long are you looking after them for?”


“I’ve had them for 2 weeks now and their Mom and Dad are returning from their holiday next week.” Michael replied, watching Jody sip her water. He tried to peel his eyes away but couldn’t. “So…what do you do for a living?” He asked, not trying to sound nosey, just trying to change the conversation.


“I’m an English tutor for elementary school students and also I work in a Malibu doctors office.” She replied. She appeared quite proud.


“Oh wow, so you are into English?” He asked, interested.


She nodded, “Yeah. I just teach kids who have problems reading and writing and keeping up with their classmates.” She explained, tucking a curtain of hair behind her ear.


Michael smiled. In the entire time she had been talking to him, she’d avoided his eyes. She was still bruised from the other night and now a dry cut on her lip. He tried to make eye contact with her several times but she wouldn’t meet them.


“I think teachers should be paid more for what they do.” Michael stated.


Jody nodded, “Yeah – it’s not always easy.”


Michael drank the last of his water and took the glass to rinse it in the sink. Jody then did something stupid, “So is it your chef’s day off?” As soon as the words left her mouth she scolded herself for how ignorant and naïve that it sounded. Michael turned around to face her and gave her a funny look.


“What would make you think I have a chef?”


“I just…” Jody’s cheeks flushed with embarrassment, “I uh…” she stammered, “Stupid misconception…I’m sorry.” She finally managed to say.


“I’m not an invalid. I do actually do things for myself, you know.” He said, obviously annoyed with her.


There was a very uncomfortable air of silence. She got up and took her glass to his sink and rinsed it as he just had. “Well… thank you for your hospitality…I’m sorry.”


“I’ll get Wayne to show you the way out.” He said coldly.


After all, he thought to himself, Can’t have you thinking that I do everything on my own, can I?


“Thanks.” Jody replied suddenly looking insecure and timid. She stayed rooted, waiting for Michael to fetch Wayne. As they walked off she turned and said goodbye.


“Yep.” Michael replied, feeling somewhat defeated.

Chapter 5 by SkyWriter
Author's Notes:

Back by (not so) popular demand... lol. I cringe so bad reading this --- lol. Super cheesy. But oh well, sometimes we need a bit of cheese :)

Enjoy and please leave some feedback whether its good or bad or making total fun of my former teenage self! hahaha. 

Chapter Five

 

Michael sank down in to the couch, he felt particularly unhappy. He thought about the little comments Jody had made and wondered why it had stung him so much. He thought that maybe it hurt because he had invited her back as an act of kindness, and felt as though she had betrayed it. He gave a deep sigh of resignation wishing that he could just be thought of as normal.

 

People always conceived him to be conceited because of his status in the public, they saw him as being evil and no one outside his close circle of friends or fans were interested in giving him the benefit of the doubt. The only people who did were his fans, but they put him on an unrealistic pedestal, as though he was superhuman. It seemed to be a never-ending no-win situation for him.

 

He got up and headed up the staircase with heavy footsteps. The weather was quite sticky and he was beginning to feel it as the day progressed and the humidity grew. He opened his closet and pulled a white T-shirt off the coat hanger and dragged himself to the bathroom. He studied his reflection in the mirror and heaved yet another sigh. He pulled his jacket off and slipped in to his shirt, feeling cooler. He splashed some water over his face and slicked his hair back.

 

He looked down on to the bathroom vanity, looking for an elastic band to hold his hair back.  Finding one, he put his hair in a messy ponytail, and went to the window in his room to make sure the kids were okay. They were playing in the garden gleefully. He gave a small vacant smile as he sank down in to a chair that faced his bed.

 

 

“I still can’t believe that you ended up at Michael Jackson’s house. That must have been a major spin-out.” Julia said, following Jody in to her apartment.

 

“Yeah…” Jody replied absently. She walked in to the main living area and set her keys down. After picking Jody up, they called AAA, which had sent a tow truck to take the car to the shop.

 

“You know, your father isn’t going to do anything.” Julia remarked heading in to Jody’s kitchen to help herself to a drink, “He just went off on you because of what you said – chances are that he’ll take heed and leave you alone.”

 

Jody just nodded; she wasn’t about to contradict her. There was no way she could make anyone understand fully, what her father was truly like and it was impossible to explain. “You’re probably right.” She mumbled.

 

“So cheer up, you just met Michael Jackson!” Julia stated enviously. “Was he like, you know, moonwalking up and down his hallway?” She joked, motioning to do a fake moonwalk on Jody’s carpet.

 

For some reason she began to feel annoyed with Julia’s flippant response towards what had happened.  Jody had expected more empathy from her, but that wasn’t what she was getting. She gave a half-hearted chuckle, as obviously Julia was star struck.

 

“Today wasn’t the first time I met him,” She admitted in a quiet voice, anticipating Julia’s shriek.

 

“Whaaaat?” She shrieked, as if on cue, “Why wasn’t I told? Man, you always keep me in the dark about all this glamorous stuff!”

 

Jody explained in brief how she had spoken to Michael the night on the beach.

 

“Ooh you know what I hear? I hear he’s going to release another album soon; this will be even bigger than Thriller! Sooo….What’s he like?” She rambled excitedly.

 

She was too embarrassed to relay what she had stupidly said to Michael about the chef. She just gave a little shrug, “I don’t know, I hardly know him. You know what those rich people are like, looking down on to others because they can afford to live better.”

 

Julia shrugged, “Not all people are like that you know, just your father.”

 

Jody scoffed, “Untrue. Simon is like that.” She thought for a second, “And so were most of the people who worked for my father. The ones that seem nice are probably just bastards behind closed doors, like Michael Jackson.”

 

Julia was quiet after that response.  While relieved, Jody wasn’t sure how to take it. She knew that she was being snappy, but she was too upset to do anything about it. 

 

“You know, I should get going.” Julia piped up.

 

“Now?” Jody asked surprised, she really wanted someone to stay with her, just in case. “But…you just got here!”

 

“Yeah I know, but I’ve got things to do…” Julia excused herself.

 

“Well, what do you have to do? I’ve gotta pay some bills…” Her voice trailed off, really not wanting to be alone.

 

“Um… I kind of made plans with Riccardo.” Her friend replied, feeling bad, as she didn’t want to hurt her.

 

Jody slunk back in to her chair, “Oh…okay, have fun then.” She replied, somewhat embarrassed.

 

“I will.” Julia said flashing her best friend a smile, “And cheer up Charlie.” She joked as she grabbed her keys and headed out the front door.

 

The moment she was gone, Jody’s tears began to fall steadily down her face. The entire day she’d tried hard to keep it all bottled up, but now, they flowed without restraint and she wasn’t bothering to try to stop them.

She was scared of what her father may try next, scared of perhaps the kind of things that he would put Simon up to. She was scared of being alone and most of all she felt lonely, as though she had no one to turn to. Julia hadn’t turned given her the kind of moral support she had expected. Maybe I expect too much. Jody told herself.

 

 

“Mikeyyyyy…” Elyse called tiptoeing in to his bedroom. “Mikey are you thereeeee, Mikeeeeey?” She said in the loudest whisper.

 

“Yeah, I’m in here…” He called out. A few seconds later Elyse was in his line of vision. He had been sitting by the window the last hour watching his niece and nephews play. He was feeling a little depressed and nothing seemed to be able to uplift that mood, no matter how pleasant his thoughts were.

 

“Mikeyyy, what are you doing?” Elyse wanted to know, resting her little hands on Michael’s knee.

 

“Nothing, I’m just sitting.” He replied, “I was watching you and your brothers outside the window."”

 

Elyse seemed uninterested in the answer to her question. She glanced around the room as if deciding what she was going to do. She studied Michael who was still glancing out of the window. “Are you sad Mikeyyy? You look sad.” She observed.

 

At hearing this, Michael cracked a smile. He leaned forward and wrapped his arms around her, giving her a hug. “You’re so sweet, bubba.” He pulled her in to his lap.

 

“Can you sing me a song?” She asked, chewing on her finger.

 

“Aww…” Michael sighed, “I don’t feel like doing that right now, maybe later, okay?”

 

“Pleeeeease?” She looked up at him with wide begging eyes.

 

Michael gave a wry smile, “Okay…what am I singing?” He asked, sitting up a little straighter in his seat, rather than the despondent slouch he’d resumed.

 

Elyse shrugged.

 

“Hmm…I have a new song…”

 

Elyse smiled, seeming to be satisfied, hearing this. She laid her head upon Michael’s chest, encircling her arms around his chest, not making it easy for him to sing.

 

Hey pretty baby with the high heels on

You give me fever like I’ve never ever known!

You’re just a product of loveliness.

I like the groove of your walk, your talk, your dress!

I feel your fever from miles around,

I’ll pick you up in my car and we’ll pain the town.

I like this feeling you’re giving me

Just hold me baby and I’m in ecstasy.

Oh I’ll be workin’ from nine til five

to buy you things just to keep you by my side.

I swear I’m keeping you satisfied,

cause you’re the one for me

The way you make me feel…

 

He finished and took a breath

 

Elyse smiled, “That’s a good song.”

 

“Thank you. I appreciate it.” He replied. He glanced out the window again, noticing that the boys were not within his view. “Come on,” He said, lifting her gently off of his lap with ease, "Let’s go check on the boys, it’s getting a bit too dark.”

 

She slipped her hand in to his and they headed downstairs to look for Chris and Ryan.

 

 

After finally getting through dinner, which was always a task in itself, Michael let the kids watch TV for a little while, until he decided it was bedtime. Elyse had already fallen asleep in her mini foldout sofa lounge that resided by Michael’s feet and Chris and Ryan were not far behind, they sleepily protested until Michael agreed to read them a few pages of their bedtime story.

 

He lifted Elyse up, gently careful not to wake her, and put her to bed. He tucked her in and gave her a kiss on the forehead. She didn’t so much as stir.

 

He turned his heel and left the room, knowing that getting Chris and Ryan off to sleep was going to be much more difficult. Michael himself was tired and needed sleep.

 

****

 

After leafing through a few pages Michael gave a sigh, “Can’t I just make up a story?” He asked, not in the mood for reading anything. He was sitting on a chair between Chris and Ryan’s beds, his head rested against Ryan’s bed. He didn’t dare close his eyes, knowing that he would be out like a light if he did.

 

“Tell us a story about Jody.” Ryan giggled mischievously.


Chris joined in, “Yeahhhh Mikey that’s your giiiiirlfriend!”

 

Michael raised his eyebrow, “Excuse me?”

 

“Miiiikey and Jodyyyyy sitting in a treeeee” Ryan began.

 

He chuckled, “Come on, settle down…it’s time to sleep.”

 

“He’s in love!” Chris insisted.

 

“No!” Ryan protested, “Mikey has to be with a pretty girl!”

 

Michael was amused with the boys, “So, you don’t think Jody is pretty?” He asked Ryan.

 

Ryan shook his head, “But maybe she is nice.” He said raising his hands up as if to say he didn’t know. Michael rose up from the chair and swatted the air above Ryan’s head playfully. Ryan giggled and crept further down under his quilt. Michael pulled it up under his chin and tucked him in.

 

“Alright, enough about Jody, you should both go to sleep. I’m tired and need to sleep too, okay?”

 

“But we’re not tiiiiiiiired.” Chris sulked, waiting for Michael to come and tuck him in too.


“Close your eyes and maybe you’ll surprise yourself.” Michael replied, giving his nephew a patronizing smile, tucking the quilt under the matress.

 

“Make up a story…” Ryan instructed Michael, carefully placing his arms under his head. Michael was amused by how precocious Ryan was at times.

 

“Alright…” He sighed…He was stuck for ideas, for some reason his mind was blank, this normally creative man’s seemed to be on a, what he hoped was temporary, standstill. “Umm…there was a little boy called, Tommy.” Michael began, he had no idea where he was going to head with this one, “Tommy was around the same age as you both … He had a special friend, his friend was a talking duck…”

 

“No, a cow.” Chris interjected.

 

“Okay a cow.” Michael replied growing rapidly tired. He gave a yawn. “Okay so the cows name was um…” He stopped to think of a name and found himself yawning a second time.

 

“The cows name was Betty.” Ryan finished the line off, obviously having thought about it. “The cow was colored blue and white, too.”

 

Michael nodded. “Tell me more about the cow…”

 

***********

The boys began to discuss the story, and even began to continue it without Michael’s help. He had resumed his position, laying his head on Ryan’s bed. A few minutes later Ryan and Chris noticed the heavy breathing of Michael, indicating that he was asleep.

 

“Oh no…” Chris whispered, “He’s asleep! He didn’t finish the story.”

 

“Shhh!” Ryan hissed. The boys whispered back and forth for a little while, agreeing not to wake their uncle up, but rather, leaving him to sleep where he was.

 

 

Jody turned her air conditioner on and grabbed her bottle of water. She changed in to a pair of soccer shorts and a white tank top.

 

The day had been exhausting. She had so many thoughts and feelings drifting through her mind. So many things that had been building up inside her had finally escaped her mouth, though she wasn’t quite sure if she was relieved or worried about it. She was scared of the repercussions that could follow.

 

She crawled into bed and rolled over onto her back, replaying everything in her mind from the moment she had stormed in to her father’s office in an enraged tangent. She knew that she needed that money probably far more than she had ever realized but when she thought of all the ways he had treated her during her life, she was why she couldn’t take his guilt money.

 

She had realized after the death of her mother, that there was no one there for her. Her mother had been an amazing woman. The pain and torment of having to deal with the real Cameron Winters’ had obviously made them form a special bond.

 

Memories flooded her mind of the times where Cameron would come home from work and beat Joan for the most trivial things, such as the kitchen being untidy, or dinner not being ready – or in some way, imperfect. He would terrorize Jody about her schoolwork and her friends. He disallowed her to have any contact with boys up until she moved out. He arranged dates with boys who were the sons of other respected lawyers.

 

Jody recollected her first crush, Ricky. Ricky was Mexican, too, and gorgeous. Jody had known Ricky for many years as he attended her school. Her mother adored Ricky and got along well with his mother. He had been at the funeral when her mother died and had held her hand throughout the service. Her father had noticed and at first he wasn’t bothered by it, but when Jody started to spend more and more time with him – her father began to get mad. He hated the fact that Ricky was Mexican and that he didn’t come from a wealthy family.

 

He believed that he’d made the biggest mistake marrying someone like Joan, as she too was Mexican, and was brought up in a poor Mexican environment. He believed that her family had tried to milk him for his money, which was exactly why he had grown to resent her. He resented Jody at times too, because every time she showed her strength and courageousness, it reminded him of Joan all over again.

 

As Jody grew older her father forbade her from contacting Ricky. It upset her more than she could put in to words. He wasn’t just a gorgeous face, but he was a gorgeous person. Julia had been around too, but Ricky was the one that was there on the day of her mother’s funeral. She never forgot how he squeezed her hand tightly as her mothers coffin was being lowered in to the ground. She remembered glancing over at her father briefly, he was meters away making a joke with a business associate, then in the next instant, putting on a big show as he read her mothers eulogy, breaking down several times.

 

Jody wiped a lone tear that was trickling down her face. She swallowed hard, remembering the way that Ricky’s mother had held her hands firmly on her shoulders, rubbing her back soothingly as she cried. Jody at the time didn’t question why her father wasn’t with her to offer his support. As she thought about it later, though, she realized he was too busy keeping up his façade, pretending to be sad to win sympathy.

 

Jody sighed. She tossed and turned a few times but couldn’t escape these memories. She squinted at the clock on her dresser. It was after 3 a.m. She could feel her fatigue but no matter how hard she closed her eyes, she couldn’t seem to drift off.

 

Her thoughts wandered to Michael Jackson. She could feel herself blushing in the dark. She remembered the look of shock that filled his face when she asked about the chef. She hated nothing more than people making misconceptions, and couldn’t believe that she’d actually made the same mistake herself.

 

She couldn’t believe what an idiot she had been. The Winters’ mansion was one of the biggest in Beverly Hills, and the Winters’ family never had a chef, or even a maid. It wasn’t like they couldn’t afford one, either. Ha, why would you need a maid when you could just treat your wife as one? She thought bitterly.

 

Michael had seemed sweet to her and was very polite, but she also knew there had to be some kind of catch. He was rich, talented, sure of himself … everything her father was when he was putting on a show.

 

She had seen Michael on television dozens of times donating money to charities and starting charities of his own – that’s what made her so suspicious. Her father used to do things like that to win good publicity, using it as a forum to advertise his services. She knew Michael’s reasons were probably the same.

 

Why am I even thinking of him? I’ll never see him again…ugh, as if I’d want to. I’d never hear the end from Julia. She thought to herself, repulsed by the way her friend had reacted to the news about Michael, rather than the news about her own wellbeing that she was deeply afraid of. She hoped she wouldn’t hear from her father or Simon again.

 

 

Michael woke up around 4a.m.with an extremely stiff neck. He looked around feeling disorientated. He realized that he had fallen asleep in the boys’ room. Chris and Ryan were both sleeping soundly in their beds. He rose up from the hard wooden chair that he’d been twisted up in and headed out of there, tripping on a toy truck on the way out. It made a loud clatter, but luckily not loud enough to wake them.

 

He turned the light in the hallway on and gave a huge yawn. He rolled his neck around a few times, trying to crack it. He gave it a firm rub, since it was hurting so much. He headed down the hall towards his room and flopped on to his bed. The weather was still warm and muggy. He switched the air conditioner on in his room and lay on his bed for a little while, trying to relax his tense neck.

 

He anticipated one of the children to arrive in his bedroom asking for cups of water, crying from a bad dream, hiding from monsters. He had always had kids in and out of Neverland, spending time with him, but he had never taken on kids 24 hours a day seven days a week. He knew parenting was a big deal, but he didn’t realize that it could be so frustrating and trying.

 

The kids were generally well-behaved and they listened to him. They were able to tell when he meant business. He had a lot of fun with them, but noticed that it was the little things that were so hard to adjust to. For instance, in the two weeks that they had spent with him, he had hardly been able to get a full night sleep. His peaceful slumbers were often interrupted with midnight invasions.

 

“Michael, I want a drink.”

“I’m scared.”  

“I am too scared to walk to the toilet.”

“I had a nightmare.”

“There are monsters under my bed.”

 

The list went on and on.

 

He also found it hard sometimes dealing with other things such as when to put his foot down and be firm. He didn’t like to say no to the kids and they knew it. They had him wrapped around their little fingers. He of course, knew when to draw the line. Marlon had given him very strict instructions not to spoil them – but sometimes he just couldn’t help it. He also was sometimes unaware of how to handle fights and arguments. He was scared of being unfair and hated to see tears.

 

There were times that the kids did test his patience and he got a little irritated, but he always managed to keep his cool, after all, they were just kids. He hated to see kids being yelled at, he believed that if he kept his cool and asked them nicely to behave, then they usually would. He believed that yelling usually just created unwanted bad energy for both parties.

 

Kids needed to be respected, they needed to have someone they could trust and someone who would be attentive to their needs, Michael was aware of that after going through what he had, in his own family.

 

Elyse, was definitely the sweetest little girl that he’d ever met. She was a warm and charming little girl. She was adored by most of the family. She was so cute and so intelligent for her age. It often stunned him sometimes, the way she seemed to be so receptive to his moods. She was easily left out of much of the fun when it concerned her two bothers because she was younger and more fragile. For that reason, Elyse seemed to spend the most time clinging to Michael, he didn’t mind at all.

 

Suddenly his thoughts were put to a halt as he heard two little footsteps down the hall followed by sniffling. Sure enough, it was Elyse, dragging her teddy bear along on the floor. Her Teddy bear was almost out-sizing her. She was crying softly, with the balled up fist on her free arm, rubbing her eyes.

 

“What’s wrong?” He whispered, switching on the lamp.

 

“I’m scared…” She whimpered, through her tears. Michael nearly laughed out loud thinking of how coincidental that it was that he was just thinking about her.

 

“What are you afraid of?” Michael asked gently, sitting up.

 

Elyse didn’t answer; she kept looking at him, the lamp obviously hurting her eyes. She was still sleepy and had a hard enough time keeping them open, let alone waiting for them to adjust to the light.

 

“Come on, sweetheart, I’ll come in your room and sit with you, okay?”

 

She seemed satisfied with this. He scooped her up off of the carpet and carried her back to her bed; by the time that he had finished tucking her in, she had already started to drift back off.

 

He sat down for a few minutes on the end of the bed, waiting for it to be safe for him to tiptoe out.

 

 

Michael headed downstairs towards the studio. It was just after 5.a.m now and he had somehow slipped in to some kind of bad mood since he’d awoken. It was the same feeling he felt the day before.

 

He tinkered around on the piano for a little while, playing some pieces just for something to do. He eyed some fresh clean sheets of paper that sat on a bench over towards the left of the synthesizers and other equipment. He picked up the pen that was sitting on top of the piano and headed over towards it.

 

He took a sheet of paper and began to write something.

 

I don't care what you talkin' 'bout baby
I don't care what you say
Don't you come walkin' beggin' back mama
I don't care anyway
Time after time I gave you all of my money
No excuses to make
Ain't no mountain that I can't climb baby
All is going my way

Cause there's a time when you're right
And you know you must fight
Who's laughing baby, don't you know
And there's the choice that we make
And this choice you will take
Who's laughin' baby

So just leave me alone girl –

Leave me alone
Leave me alone - stop it!
Just stop doggin' me around


There was a time I used to say girl I need you
But who is sorry now
You really hurt, you used to take and deceive me
Now who is sorry now
You got a way of making me feel so sorry
I found out right away
Don't you come walkin' - beggin' I ain't lovin' you
Don't you get in my way

 

Everything just seemed to flow and make perfect sense to him. He wrote it with a number of things in his heart. He thought about yesterday, how Jody had perceived him to be and how much she had hurt him with her little comments. He also wrote it with Stewarts in mind and basically everyone else that tried to mooch off of him, and use his music against him.

 

After, he played around with some of his new songs before going back upstairs to make sure that the kids were okay, and begin fixing something for their breakfast.

This story archived at http://www.mjfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=6789