Blog: LadyKeren. by LadyKeren
Summary:

A Place to share life events, story news, thoughts ect from KerenOlivero.


Categories: Journal Characters: None
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: No Word count: 7578 Read: 17981 Published: Sep 18, 2014 Updated: Aug 13, 2022

1. Chapter 1 by LadyKeren

2. Chapter 2-my thoughts on the rp drama by LadyKeren

3. Chapter 3-checking in by LadyKeren

4. Chapter 4-New Week..Moving Forward by LadyKeren

5. Chapter 9-well, it's official by LadyKeren

6. Should have known this would happen by LadyKeren

7. Well..it's been real.. by LadyKeren

8. Chapter 8-Update/Reflection by LadyKeren

9. Fanfiction Pet Peeves by LadyKeren

10. Sam Wright-In Memorium (1946-2021) by LadyKeren

11. Story News/Reflection Part 2 by LadyKeren

12. Chapter 12-About Me/My Journey into Fanfiction by LadyKeren

13. Chapter 13-The fan community by LadyKeren

Chapter 1 by LadyKeren

Ok guys, as you may have seen on my profile here I was born on this day in the year 1985 which makes me 29 years old now..I know..I'm gettin' old.It will be a pretty uneventful birthday for the most part but I am used to it and spending it on here with my MJ Fiction family is enough to brighten up my day. I would like to take this moment to express my appreciation and gratitude to people on here--particularly those who have read/favorited/reviewed my fics..you know who you are. I have fun writing them and it is icing on the cake knowing you like reading them just as much. I would like to thank the following people for taking the time to roleplay with me and going along with my ideas willingly:

mjfreak23

BrownsugarBabe

Rizzo87

DanieWritesLove

MJJRoxForever

Kola

WanderingAngelOfMusic

Zedd_MJ

hejcslm

DanceForLife

JBlueMoon

CandiLovesMJ

prettyswagboss89

jkl567

Cherry101

QueenofMJ

thelostchild143

Sapphirenights

Karoll84

Smoothnightmj

snowywinter

HawaiiLoveLife

HealTheWorld_WithASmile

loyalpyt

FarAwayAngell

Xscapetochicagowithnoname

Nat5682

StreetWalkerWinter

glitterpix

Thrillerthenight

Lucylovelace

RosesofLight

Mickeygotsswag47

Loveangel78

mjsflower98

Mjforeverinmylife213

1950sMjRock

BlueHeartMoon

Kissoflifemj

Fireoftheice

Luaudance17

mjlovemj

Applehead_iloveyou

MichealTheKingg

Yolaachaa

mjfan43va

AngelofAbove

Roleplaying with you guys has reduced my boredom, given me a feel of what it would have been like if I had gotten to be friends with Michael if he were still alive and well, and kept my fic muse alive. To those on this list whose roleplays have been inactive for quite some time, I still had fun and will never forget you. I know how real life can rear its head and I hope things calm down enough soon for you to start them up again. All in all, you guys rock! I love you all so much!

XOXO,

Christy aka KerenOlivero

Chapter 2-my thoughts on the rp drama by LadyKeren
Author's Notes:

just my thoughts on what had transpired the past few days. 

All right guys, I am sure you are aware of the drama concerning rps since  mean I had witnessed drama before but to an extent it was never on this level..it wasn't anything I couldn't laugh off afterwards. This makes me happy I choose to be a participant of rps instead of running one as I would want to shut down my rp too, although I am typically a "do what I want to do" type of person. I am angered that some of the fun has to end because of a couple of control freaks. I mean who are they to dictate what our passtimes should be just because they don't agree with it? I know for certain they wouldn't take kindly to it if the same was done to them. I've NO patience for party poopers, yet they accuse us of having no life when the rude comments prove the same about them. But it was lots of fun and I won't forget. I am optimistic this drama will die down soon enough..we just gotta hang tough and stand our ground. I will take a small breather and catch up on writing as I desperately need to, but I still want to rp, for who knows when my muse will start being a stubborn idiot again and plus I refuse to allow any hater steal my joy. They do not deserve that satisfaction. So anyone who still wants to rp, let me know and I will make myself available. 
One love, Keren

Chapter 3-checking in by LadyKeren
Author's Notes:

Just checking up on those I made friends with. 

To be honest what had transpired over the past few days had put quite a damper on my mood but after some thinking I am on the way to recovering..still not over it completely but I know I will with a little more time. I know I have nothing to feel guilty about as I am one of the few on here that's way past the legal age and I always prefered that Michael be portrayed accurately be it roleplaying or fanfics (with the exception of the fics/rps where one can get away with bending the rules.) and refused to do the plotless sex in my plots even at 29. How are you guys?

I knew I have been slacking off with writing and after thinking I realized it was time for me to try harder to find the energy to make myself write again and quit being distracted as I have to update my fics here, not to mention there is a fic over at fanfiction.net that desperately needs updating.(I write other stuff besides MJ) 

For those who plan to take the roleplaying over to e-mail, mine is lady.emeraude85@yahoo.com, or even if you just want to be in touch.  

One love, xoxo

Chapter 4-New Week..Moving Forward by LadyKeren
Author's Notes:

update on my progress, and some uplifting words..

Okay my friends it's been a tough week and some for those affected by the drama on here, which quite frankly, put me in an obnoxious mood..to those who reached out to me during that time(you know who you are), I thank you..although it still has yet to be completely over I feel a lot better and I couldn't have without you. Happy to say I did get writing done during my downtime which is rare for me. I hope you are feeling better as well and know that I have your back always. I am optimistic things will be back to normal soon enough and we could put all this behind us..we can pull through anything as long as we stick together. 

One love, 

xoxo

Chapter 9-well, it's official by LadyKeren

It's officially 2015 in my area..happy new year to you all! hope you guys are safe and may those who had a horrible/mediocre time last year for whatever reason have a better year. Much love and wishing you all the best! Much love to you all, my wonderful MJ family and I hope to have more fanfic for you soon. xoxo

 

Should have known this would happen by LadyKeren

Don't know what to think right now..felt like such an idiot for being so excited about the RP category before and like I jinxed it..and feel even more like one to have hope that a safe way to do it would be worked out only to realize it was just to give us false hope when truth was the termination was permanent to keep the focus on fanfics alone..which is fine and dandy..just saying in that case the banning should have been announced as permanent from the beginning and a rule about not roleplaying should have been there from the moment they first popped up.then the situation would have not reached critical mass with most of the minors..although I now know it would have been forbidden even if the minors did not decide to engage in behavior that isn't appropriate for their age.feel like everything had been to lure in a false sense of security..but I expected it though I still am beating myself up mentally for hoping that moral way would be created..

But I can deal eventually..since I am a writer as well (and no, my fics are not ridiculously short when it comes to chapters) and one reason I did it was to brainstorm..so who knows when I will turn against it one day..it happened before..

Well..it's been real.. by LadyKeren
Author's Notes:

my experience here was fun while it lasted..alas, it is time for me to say farewell for now..

For the past week and some I had been doing a lot of thinking about whether I would make this decision or not. I have decided I am done here and by tomorrow I'll be gone. I would rather not reveal my reasons but know that one of my priorities is to get more written for one of my anime related works over at fanfiction.net. I am not going to delete my account or have it deleted but merely putting it on hiatus. I will pop in for visits from time to time but I just won't be nearly as active.

To those who are following my fanfiction, do not fret, for I will leave my fics up for you to enjoy and I won't leave you hanging. I'll squeeze in updates whenever I can so don't worry, I have you guys covered. To the authors I have become friendly with and whose fics I follow, I won't forget you and I will read your fics when I visit the site. Until then, so long and good luck. xoxo

End Notes:

Those who know how to contact me offsite, feel free to hit me up. ^^

Chapter 8-Update/Reflection by LadyKeren

It's been like seven years or so since I last checked in, yes? Well anyway, I just wanted to say I'm still here. I've had plenty of time to think about things during my absence. I put my MJ works on the backburner to concentrate on my other fanfics, and just thought time from the fandom would do me some good. Those other stories still have yet to be completed ( although one of them is near complete). I haven't been doing very much writing in recent years, sad to say. ( Due to a combination of writer's block, feeling lazy and my heart just not being in it) Several of my interests have changed in more ways than one, yet my positions on certain matters still remain the same. My life has become a lot busier, have had to deal with depression, family deaths, etc, not to mention there are some things I'm not sure I could ever forgive myself for. I've become wiser as I've grown older, a lot more skeptical and certain behaviors are triggers for me to recognize as red flags, such as gaslighting, disrespect disguised as a joke, no respect for boundaries. With the exception of a few ppl, I don't do the deep friendship anymore and I detest humanity.

I've recently been rereading some of my MJ works and it brought back memories of how much fun I've had writing them and that I do want to continue them..they'll have to wait for now, though. However, I do plan to complete them one day, just because I hate to leave works unfinished.

So yeah, I'm not all the way back yet, and will more than likely remain to myself, partly since it's how I am irl, and also in case I'm shunned for what happened in the past. 

 

Those who truly cared, I could never forget you. 

 

-Lady K

Fanfiction Pet Peeves by LadyKeren
Author's Notes:

Just a list of things that would make me avoid a fanfiction like the plague or stop reading if I am too bothered. 

Okay, everyone has things they don't like to see in a fanfic for any fandom they write for, MJ or non MJ, well here is my list..I didn't put this up for nasty comments or a debate..any flames I get will be used to cook my vegan marshmellows.You have been warned.

 

1. Character Bashing:  I don't think there's too much I need to say on it but there is no excuse for it..regardless of whether the canon character is likable or not, one should do well to keep in mind that these characters are not theirs to do with what they please and belong to someone else. Also, good writing is unbiased. The same goes for when the author can't accept that sometimes favorite characters get along with non-favorite characters or if a canon character is bashed to make the original character look good. If the character is gonna be portrayed worse than they actually are, there should be a logical reason/explanation for it, like for instance, being abused for a long time and one day he/she just snapped..or brainwashed..

2. Characters doing things totally in contrast to their personality without logical reason/explanation in a fic that isn't a parody or a spoof: I covered some of it above, but to be clear, I am not talking about mild OOCness, like if a character does something humorous once in a while because the author is building on him/her having a light side although usually serious..I am talking about a generally kind, caring, well-mannered, honest character being portrayed as a mean, spiteful, evil person who is deceitful and has NO manners..or a character who is generally very intelligent or at least catches on quickly even if they don't know about something being dumb as a rock..like I said there should be an explanation for it if they will be written that way..also if the fic happens to be a parody or spoof fic that should be clarified from the beginning in the disclaimer or author's notes.

3. Randomness: Here I mean certain traits just being slapped on a canon character without considering whether it is likely to happen or not..

4. Lack of research: should be self-explanatory, and before anyone goes "we're not in school", I am referring to the details being deliberately incorrect when info is accessible..for example if a character's birthdate, preferences, physical description was given by the creator I go with what is listed..sometimes I will add in what I can imagine, but obviously, when writing about Michael or any real person I just leave certain details alone if not denied OR confirmed. Or also tackling a rather complicated topic like a certain mental illness or a culture of a certain ethnic group, it is imperative to know the facts and I also tend to be careful with the latter especially since there are misconceptions and erroneous info out there.

5. Yaoi/yuri pairings that make no sense: Now, if there is evidence for the same sex couple, I ship it, but here I'm talking about the ones where both(or one ) persons involved are shown liking the opposite sex. In a situation where the character's orientation is ambiguous, I let slide, but stories that downright changes the orientation, I refuse to look at.Even if they have homosexual friends or at least treat people of that lifestyle kindly, well men (or women) could be friends without being lovers and there is a difference between loving someone and being in love. For me it's about keeping characters true to themselves while playing with details open to interpretation. (Things that don't matter to the story)

6. Badly written AUs: Before I delve into this I will say I generally prefer AR or Alternate History, but I have seen AU can be a very good fic depending on the fandom and how well the person pulls it off so I do tolerate it to a certain point. After all it has similarities to AR, not just differences, which is why they're both used interchangeably. And it can be a way to explore the possibilities or change what went wrong for a person in the fandom. And I know while a certain change is drastic, it can also be reasonable and logical so it's all good. Have found some that I really enjoy just as much as my favorite ARs. But what I mean by badly written is if there is no explanation for the big changes so there are loopholes and I find myself being confused. I also don't like being roped into reading it..again, if the fic is AU or AT (alternate timeline) that should be clarified from the beginning to minimize confusion...but it goes to show not everyone can pull it off. However, if the changes are so drastic that the premise would work just as nicely for an original fiction work (I am talking about where EVERYTHING except the character's name is different) then I am gone. I am not particularly fond of canon characters having lifelong ailments either unless it is likely to happen at some point (like for example, because of the character's unhealthy lifestyle or something), but I will still give it a shot if it is well written, though it probably won't be on the top of my favorites, especially if things don't get better. I prefer to save the lifelong ailments for my OCs seeing as how they're my creation and I can do whatever I like with them within reason.

7. Constant, non-stop drama: Now I am all for characters having to face issues, but if things don't get better for them at a certain point that could get too depressing for me and unless I am in the mood for a good cry, it's a major turn off.

8. Original Characters being stronger than the main protagonist: Unless the Original Character is a villain, this should not be happening..and even then the villain should have a weakness..while yes it can be a turn off when a character is weak and can't defend themselves, sometimes being all-powerful, all-knowing and perfect can be even worse. In other words, there should be a balance.

9.Stories putting pedophilia/incest etc. in a positive light. 

10. Grammatical/spelling/punctuation errors all throughout the fic/chapters: I am not talking about the typo that will happen once in awhile but in every sentence where it is obvious there was no proofreading. I usually let it slide in the case of a learning disability but even then there should be a beta..and there should also be one when English isn't the first language.

11. Plotless sex-For heaven's sake, I came to read a narrative, not watch a porno.

12. Love triangles: calls for too much unwanted drama and quite a bit use it as an excuse for character bashing.

13. The love interest of the main character acting their shoe-size instead of their age.

14. Sad endings with no closure.

15. Canon retells where readers are forced to relive the same sad endings-In some ways it can work for oneshots but otherwise defeats the purpose of fanfiction. THIS is borderline fan non fiction or plagiarism at worst, NOT the stories where characters are true to themselves  while twisting the canon events. I write for the thrill of giving characters who go through unfair and tragic events happy endings they should have had..I enjoy authors who do the same. It goes back to #14. 

Well, that's pretty much it. 

Sam Wright-In Memorium (1946-2021) by LadyKeren
Author's Notes:

A moment of silence...

Today makes approximately one year since the voice actor for Sebastian the Crab from the Little Mermaid lost his battle with prostate cancer at age 74. Actually just found out about his death and cancer battle several weeks ago, so imagine my shock when I did find out. (Of course this isn't the first time I found out about someone's death well after the fact). I was also deeply saddened because he was a part of my childhood, and when he was gone, that means yet another part of my childhood is gone, even though I can't say he's gone too soon. The Little Mermaid was one of my loves, and I also owned his 2 specials, Sebastian's Caribbean Jamboree and Sebastian's Party Gras. I actually found out when I went to revisit one of those specials on Youtube (which I do every now and again) and I read in the comments where people were saying Rest in Peace. Immediately, I looked up the news. Sadly, it was true. Seriously, cancer is so evil. His renditions of the songs Day-O, The Limbo Rock and Life Is a Magic Thing are such classics, not to mention Under the Sea. (Which was stuck in my head soon after.) I purchased the soundtracks for the two specials, really wanting a way to remember him by. I will probably listen to them later today in honor of him. I might watch The Little Mermaid, too...not sure yet.His performance for that entire movie was iconic, if you ask me. I had no idea he also played Mufasa from The Lion King on Broadway and Khron until recently.

Rest on, Sam. Fans will never forget you. I imagine you're enjoying catching up with Kenneth Mars.

Story News/Reflection Part 2 by LadyKeren
Author's Notes:

Just an update on the status of my stories and things on my mind I feel the need to lay on the table that I held back in the first part of the reflection. (chapter 8)

Wasn't sure if I should let this be known, but I thought maybe I should..as they say, release is good for the soul..so here goes nothing...

After about 7 years of abandoning my stories, the drive to do them has returned, as well as the ones I thought of doing and a couple new ideas..didn't think it would have happen..had put them on hold to update my non-MJ stuff that were in great need of updating and just because I had no desire to be involved in the MJ fandom anymore..still prefer to remain to myself but I just figure I'll write when the inspiration is there and stay in my lane, so to speak.

So right now I'm working on chapter 5 of Ghostly Attraction, just taking my time with it and when I do post it, those who follow will know. 

And no, I do not partake in RP anymore of ANY kind, not even ones based on anime/TV shows, other works of fiction and not because ppl succeeded in convincing me it's evil.It's just that once again, I was reminded of why I preferred to stick to fanfiction. I predicted I might end up giving it up for good and that's just what happened. The fact is, '04 was when I was introduced to it and I stopped in '09. Did it for the brief time before their removal because my muse was pathetic with the exception of the WIPs and to give others a chance before I form an opinion on who has respect for boundaries and who doesn't. One thing I do have to admit in spite of everything is it was thanks to dabbling that time I came up with new ideas..the ones that have actual plots (as opposed to the random ones or plotless sex ones) are capable of accomplishing such a feat. '2017 was when I decided to give it up for good, anime and all. While yes, it may be an unhealthy outlet for some and also be an obsession as well, that's not the case for everyone, so the generalizations need to stop. Also, an opinion is just that, an opinion and not gospel truth so if you try to expect me to be entitled to yours and not my own, then we'll have a big problem. 

The few instances I got sucked in despite being super cautious? Yes, I do regret that more than anyone knows and as a matter of fact, I still have trouble forgiving myself. Was also afraid of being ostracized because I didn't think it was weird to read, write and do an RPG and there would be ppl rubbing it in. I know with the latter, it's been around since the early 1900s, (which is well before fanfiction was invented) and the first tabletop one came out in the '70s, so the art will exist until the end of time. I mean how could one rid the world of it? Conduct a seance to contact the originator of it and terrorize them for inventing it? Go to every rpg based site and demand that the founder take it down??? Both dictatorship at best.Newsflash, not even the art of acting or cosplay conventions will disappear from the world just because a non-fan finds them retarded (for lack of a better word)

All that said, I still believe it is NOT OKAY to harass someone for being into it just because one finds them stupid/are confused by them..(I'm not talking about pointing out legitimate issues, but those who just bash for the sake of it)..and I still believe there IS a wholesome side, whether those against it want to admit it or not. I've been frequenting online communities long enough to see that wholesome side where the worst thing that could happen were arguments over plot points, couples, etc. And those who didn't like it just didn't join. As long as one does it morally and correctly I see no issue. I just will steer clear, that's all. Even if I still did it, I post my works to fanfiction only sites all the time..even on the sites where ppl could get away with creating groups/forums designed just to do it (fanfiction.net/deviantart), I never bothered, so that right there should tell some it was never an obsession. 

I won't lie and say I WASN'T bothered by the vilification, just as I found it disheartening when some ppl have absolutely no respect for boundaries, thus burying the wholesome side so only the dark side was noticeable...that said, it's still not appreciated to lump those who kept things moral and correct with those who didn't, a la generalizing. The nonfans who complain even when people do so morally, correctly and in private but just because someone has a different hobby from them, it makes me wonder if they think less of Michael because he was a fan of some roleplaying games. Have a feeling if he were still with us he would have been discouraged from it despite only doing it privately, with legal adults and kept morals in mind..I mean, since it's also now forbidden for people to do it with their boyfriend/husband/fiance or anyone they knew personally if they wanted to..I know there are different types, but still. There are those who abuse the purpose, like using it as a clutch for depression and who use it to act on their promiscuity, perversion, etc,  BUT there is also the wholesome, creative side, which would be on par with dressing up as characters during Halloween, costume parties, cosplay conventions, acting, putting on plays/skits, and teaming up to tell stories like coauthored ones and round robins. There are actually those who treat/view it like both of those. For the record, I still espouse to the rule of thumb that a person must be old enough to view the content they're creating. I have witnessed moments on fanfiction.net where an author of an M/NC-17 would flat out tell minors to get lost on chapters where there is explicit sexual content, which I applaud in more ways than one..I would do the same if I were to write such content and those who refuse to listen won't like the result.

For the record, I do understand the position of an admin/mod..had the experience of being one years before this site was created, so I know a thing or two about getting a handle on problems before they become too detrimental and even preventing them (in cases where they can be)..just want to clarify that just in case someone thinks I don't know what it's like. The concern about the focus on what the site is supposed to be about being lost is a very valid.in fact I added a rule on my forums that the members are NOT to invite someone just to sign up for an RPG, because while people are allowed to partake in those (I have rules for them, fanfiction and general site rules), the site is dedicated to a certain fandom/character, so THAT'S what the focus should be on..and there were ppl who were known to complain about being bored yet they wouldn't make use of the other discussion boards..next thing you know, visitors want to join the forums but have doubts because they're concerned that aside from the ongoing RPGs, it's dead. So yeah, I can relate to that concern.

To step away from that issue and reverse it in favor of fanfiction for a moment, I'd like to point out something..there are ppl who hate the idea of fanfics based on real people, dead or living because they find it disrespectful, creepy, etc even IF done in a respectful manner, but I'm sure it wouldn't be appreciated if one of those same ppl came on here and started spewing insults, demands to take the site down. I know fanfiction.net doesn't allow stories on real people, for me it's no biggie..I just post them to sites where they ARE  allowed, that's all. And they also have rules about how script style entries or non-story entries are not allowed..and no interactive entries either..then again, I've always believed prevention is better than cure. 

I also refuse to co-author fanfics (mind you I mostly did that in the days I didn't have the confidence to attempt fanfic on my own, between the years of '04-05) because I'd rather write alone..based on my ideas and my characters, regardless of how much I struggle. Also yes, round robins are out of the question for me as well. Can't stand collaborations of any kind anymore. I've always been a loner who preferred doing things my way, after all and I came to the realization I should have never tried to change it, no matter who finds it insulting. I know right from wrong and have a healthy sense of it.

Aside from all that, I can say without hesitation I don't miss any of that stuff. I have enough going on in my life keeping me busy and enough distractions without needing to add to it. I'm actually  very excited to develop the new ideas into stories..I'm still thinking on which platforms to share them...

 

Just wanted to get those things off my chest..comment if you like but no flames, please.

Chapter 12-About Me/My Journey into Fanfiction by LadyKeren
Author's Notes:

Just a spiel about little ol' me.

Name: go onto my bio to see my real name..but you may call me LadyK.

Age: will only say I'm a few years from being a middle aged woman, so do the math.

Occupation-Amazon Associate

Favorite colours: pink, blue, purple, red, black, grey

Hobbies: reading, writing, watching anime, listening to music, watching videos on Youtube

Favorite music: (in no particular order) MJ (duh), Amy Grant, Acappella, Durant, Don Moen, Lenny Leblanc, Ayumi Hamasaki, Rod Stewart, Selena Quintanilla, Lifehouse, Nickelback, Michelle Tumes, Bob Fitts, Fernando Ortega, Enya, Yanni, Kenny G, John Tesh, Shania Twain, Joey Feek, Kacey Musgraves, Lari White, Faith Hill, Maaya Sakamoto, Nami Tamaki, Michael Bolton, Namie Amuro, BOA Kwon, Meredith Andrews, Randy Travis, Natalie Imbruglia, Josh Groban, Vanessa Williams, Laura Story, The ZOE Group, Backstreet Boys, The Carpenters, A-Teens, B*Witched, Do As Infinity, Yoko Ishida, Every Little Thing, Rie Fu, Martina McBride, Buddy Greene

Favorite book series: Baby Sitters Club, The Christy Miller Series, Sierra Jensen Series

Favorite books: Why Are We Sick, Finding My Shine, It's Not About Perfect, The Hallelujah Diet, P.S Longer Letter Later, Snail Mail No More, God Will Make A Way, Off Balance, The Michael Jackson Conspiracy, The Answer Is Reflection on My Life, To Selena With Love

Favorite Movies: Matilda, all the American Girl Movies, Beauty and the Beast, Mortal Kombat, Stick It, Legends of the Guardian, Ghosts, Moonwalker

Pet Peeves: hypocrites, know-it-alls, false accusations, being interrupted for no good reason, selective outrage, gaslighting, insulting of intelligence, bad behaviors disguised as a joke, nosy people, whiners, bashers, drama, trolls, noise, being pressured to be someone I'm not, double standards, words being thrown around without knowing the meaning, self-righteous, lies being believed over the truth, controlling people, willful ignorance

Favorite TV Shows: I don't watch TV these days but when I did have access, Jeopardy, The Weakest Link, Full House, The World's Strictest Parents, Yu-gi-oh, Sailor Moon, Card Captor Sakura, Kids Time Praise, Kidsongs, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers

How I was introduced into the concept of Fanfiction

Actually got access to the internet in '03 and I was fresh out of high school when I discovered fanfiction, which was Sailor Moon related...there were a lot of what I call "crack" fanfics but because I would spend hours on the internet I did find some I would consider powerful..the fanfics that got me hooked were some written by an author who writes about my favorite couple in Sailor Moon that was given a bad rap, IMO..won't get into it, but it involved a villain who ended up on the path of redemption but was killed off and I never got over that..as it turns out, this author didn't either. I came across her website dedicated to the couple and I was really grateful to her for finding a way to give them the happy ending they should have had and loved her for it. She features works from other authors as long as they meet her guidelines. I was still a reader and in '06 was the first time I got the courage to attempt writing a fanfic on my own..the chapters were extremely puny, especially compared to now, but there were quite a number of people who liked my premise/ideas, inclusive of the owner of the Sailor Moon fanfic website. She saw my potential and gave tips that she believed would add richness to the stories and take my writing up a few notches (like formatting, adding description along with the actions and dialogue, knowing what details add to the story or what slows it down and being cautious about references..once I got that downpacked she talked about showing vs telling). I truly value her views as she took writing classes, has been writing original fiction for 30+ years, fanfiction for 20+ years and is now a professional writer. 

To this day, the fanfics I did in my earliest days are still in the process of being rewritten..there are plenty to do. Besides Sailor Moon, I've written for Magic Knight Rayearth, I have a Yu-gi-oh fanfic that's 2 chapters from being complete, a Power Rangers oneshot and I started a Lion King story 2 years ago when the pandemic was at it's worst where I am. 

As far as preferences go, I discovered pretty quickly that they lean towards stories that begin following the canon and adding twists of events when the time calls for it..i.e alternate reality/alternate history, so those are the type I tend to write..like everyone, I have my list of things I would like to see if I had my way. I really enjoy reading stories that remain true to the fandom while a different version is created. It's pretty simple for me to find that line between retelling and making a work that can practically be done as original fiction and would make just as good a story. With the former, my tolerance level has waned for and the latter makes me want to close the window. I have no issue with a well done AU, but if it's one of the stories where I have to wonder if I and the author are following the same fandom, I'm gone. 

How I Got into MJ Fanfiction

I was actually revising one of my older Sailor Moon works and it was nearly complete when MJ's death occurred and I was feeling so down I had to stop because my heart wasn't in it. But a fellow more experienced writer sort of talked me into writing MJ stories in a way to honor him..of course I immediately jumped on it as soon as I was done with my SM rewrite. 

It was pretty simple for me to write MJ, believe it or not. (Once my muse isn't being a dick or I'm not being lazy/distracted, that is.) Spending hours watching his interviews, home movies, reading Moonwalk and listening to other ppl who truly cared about him give interviews gave me the necessary info I needed to hit the ground running..I apply the same tips given and adjusting when necessary. 

My MJ Stories:

-Unwavering Support (My very first MJ fanfic-completed)

-Betrayed Trust (ongoing)

-Victory (Oneshot)

-Closure (Oneshot)

-Home For the Holidays (Oneshot-sequel to Unwavering Support)

-Ghostly Attraction (ongoing)

Misc. Notes:

I said this on my bio, but for those who don't bother to read it, I have to emphasize it here. I don't like collaborations of ANY kind anymore, so please don't ask me to co-author a fanfiction with you. I work alone. I also don't do requests. Sorry, but I have too many projects and I also prefer to write on MY OWN characters and ideas. Anyone who makes either request of me, the answer is NO.

That's me in a nutshell. Not very interesting, but makes me tick. 

End Notes:

Happy 4th of July!!!!

Chapter 13-The fan community by LadyKeren
Author's Notes:

My thoughts on the community and why I've detached myself from it. I'm not calling out any one person, just speaking generally of what I witnessed. 

The MJ fan community. It should be the best community in the world, considering fans have come together to admire the rarest gift of a person we've ever had, right? And to celebrate the light that dimmed far too soon. (Like many others)Well, just as death can bring friends and family of the deceased together, it can also bring out the worst in someone.

What do I mean by that, you ask? Well I'll tell you..speaking as someone who lived that same thing, not just with Michael, but experiencing loss of immediate family. Not too long over his passing, I noticed there was a division, and not only because people's emotions were all over the place when it came to certain events/issues. It's also because of what I had witnessed being a part of different anime fandoms. There were a bunch of what I would call fanbrats in those so when I come across some with different public figures it's not too much of a surprise, because they will always be there.

Examples of those I discovered in the anime fandoms are sub vs dub wars...like if someone uses dub names in conversations or fanfiction, those who hate the dub would consider it a sin...and vice versa. Also sub fans think it's wrong for fans to like the dub and dub fans would get angry if someone likes anime raw or subbed. And there's also ship-shaming, regardless of which couple from the fandom ppl like, whether it be the quote and quote "official couples", alternate couples (the ones that COULD work in an AU) and odd couples.(the ones where the individuals involved are strictly platonic, have almost NO scene together or if they just CAN'T work in a healthy relationship, AU or not) Another thing that would happen is if there is a well-loved fanfic written about a character and someone who doesn't like the author/character/premise or is just bored would start trolling the fanfic, saying how the character is horrible and wants him/her dead. I have no use or respect for bashers of any kind, ppl who think just because a canon couple isn't his/her cup of tea, that gives them license to want that canon character dead. What I find most scary and over the top are the death threats, like death threats to the dubbers, or death threats to someone who likes a character/couple...and as for the yaoi/yuri/shonen-ai/shoujo-ai fans..frightening would be an understatement..I am under no means talking about those who ship a legit same sex couple..I myself also ship the official homosexual couples, like Kunzite x Zoisite, Sailor Uranus x Sailor Neptune from Sailor Moon..just for the sake of keeping characters to themselves..but the fans I feel do themselves no favors are the ones who flip out if a person says they don't write or read yaoi/yuri pairings that are just slapped together willy-nilly..in other words it must be canon or at least be likely to happen.For instance, if someone is requested to do a fanfic request or asked to read a yaoi/yuri fic and said person responds no, citing those same reasons. 

With the MJ fandom, sadly, that degree of toxicity exists..let's face it..there will always be differing opinions, in terms of someone wanting to buy one of the posthumous albums, but another one does not, a person being fair to Joseph whilst the other despises him, and the list can go on and on. When I think about this subject, I recall what T-Mez said on the matter..about how Michael was an individualist, he believed in freedom of expression and freedom to be who you are, but also believed in respect for others..so believe in whatever it is you believe, but treat others with dignity and respect. However, there comes a time when things end up becoming too much and it's time to make the decision to tough it out or look out for one's mental health. 

The things that  put me off in the MJ fandom are pretty much the same things that put me off in other fandoms I was a part of, and then some..rabid fans who go too far being among the top..for instance, hating someone for not taking the high road yet they don't know how to take the high road, either. Even worse when it's being condoned. Also, the ones who act like they know everything..see, I recognize I don't know everything, so if I'm unsure I'll look it up or ask someone associated with him I have contacts with..you know, those cases where the person is obviously wrong, but don't want to be told that. In a situation like that, I know to be like, "oh well, no point talking to a dead horse. Which brings me to another point..the ones who are like haters disguised as fans..they believe the media lies, tabloids, the so called "friends" who throw Michael under the bus for money and when called on it, they justify it by saying how he was human and wasn't perfect. Now, while I know he wasn't perfect, I also know he was not the monster the media, tabloids and his enemies painted him as...and I am also a flawed individual and could relate to him in many ways, so who am I to throw stones at him? I see him as just a flawed person who strove for perfection and had qualities hard to come by these days..a better person than I can be in some ways.But because some see him as absolutely perfect, they'll bite your head off for that and cancel the other fan, to which I say, oh well..life goes on..no time to worry about who likes or dislikes me. Those who  are in the middle of both extremes often feel the hostility from both those sides. 

When I say he'd be offended by something, I base it on what I know his position on the matter to be and what close friends and family said to back him up. I'm cautious on my sources for research since there many ppl who just want the five minutes of fame, so some are to be taken with a small grain of salt. There are a few I see in a neutral way and when they bring up valid points, I take it for what it is.

When it comes to opinions, I value them as long as they're properly researched and are not shoved in my face. I also believe opinions are irrelevant when the hard core facts are staring in the face..as the popular saying goes, facts don't lie, people do. I believe in being fair and calling a spade a spade. 

To me, respect for Michael's legacy is to be all across the board when it comes to creativity, communication, etc...in other words, no selective outrage...speaking out about one issue while ignoring another that's just as bad, or worse. It's probably an unpopular view to have, but I make no apology for it.

Besides the selective outrage and fans going too far, the other thing that makes me want to stay away are those who get angry if someone who listens to another artist besides Michael, considering it treason..and to take it further, blowing up at someone who admitted they didn't really follow him much, not because they believe the lies or  anything, but they're not that keen on pop/soul, but prefer classical, opera, jazz, gospel, etc. To me it doesn't matter, as long as they're not rude and obnoxious about their preferences and don't blindly state the allegations as fact..There are people I know who said they were never able to say they were fans, but they are polite about it so there's no issue. In other words, I'm happy to educate them if they're willing to learn, but if not, forget 'em. 

Not to mention there are a good number of fans who only fight for truth and justice when it is convenient for them..like, they're enraged by the lies on Michael and believe in his innocence but when someone else is accused of a similar sex crime, they automatically say he/she's guilty because that public figure's talent isn't their cup of tea..but what does being a fan have to do with whether that individual committed the crime or not? Not believing everything you read/hear and using criticial thinking should be across the board, not only reserved for favorites. Right is right and wrong is wrong, whether you like that person in showbiz or not. Just as a person does not have to be a rabid, crazed fan to know Michael is innocent, one also doesn't have to be a fan to investigate the facts of other celebs and admit if there is injustice done to them.

In a nutshell, too many ppl think just because they're entitled to their views means they can be pricks about it..believing it's okay to harass someone for liking something they don't..then again I've learned some time ago some people you cannot engage too much with because they don't think before they type, and they don't read, nor do they listen..sitting behind technology has made them bold enough to say things they would be too much of a coward to say face to face...of course there are nasty, messed up people in real life, too, which is a whole 'nother story. As for the argument about how we don't know anyone for certain over the internet, that argument applies to ALL forms of communication...there are some who DON'T use the internet because of how wary they are, and the others who choose to, I'd just say it's important to pay attention to red flags and the like...something I've become more proficient at over the years.

I know one good thing about the other online communities I frequented, rules on how members are to be treated were added from day one, and if trouble arises, it can be dealt with right away...

But yeah, all those things are why the fandom was starting to feel like toxic soup and I know it's important to protect my peace, even if it makes me look evil to others. I've always preferred a small circle of friends to large groups as much as it is discouraged and found to be insulting. However, I say quality over quantity any day. 

 

End Notes:

Didn't mean to post a "novel" but it turned out that way..but yeah. No insults, please.

This story archived at http://www.mjfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=6201