One In A Million by Orphan
Summary:

 photo image_zpsfcd3426c.jpg         photo image_zps8eff11bb.jpg

 

Who would've thought that a frappachino at Starbucks and an Aaliyah song would've given me a brilliant story idea? (Lol this is awesome!)


Categories: Invincible: 2000-2003, This Is It: 2006-2009, Hurt/Comfort, Humor, Romance, Trigger Warning! Characters: Michael, Original Girl
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: Domestic Abuse, Rape
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1011 Read: 848 Published: Oct 05, 2013 Updated: Oct 05, 2013

1. The News by Orphan

The News by Orphan
Author's Notes:

So..does anyone else have this obsession with Kurt Cobain? Because I do. xD 

It was hot. California hot. Although it was September, it was unusually muggy and sticky and everything seemed to be sweating. Above, the sky was thinly streaked with pale runner clouds that did absolutely nothing to block out the sun, and little stirred around the open road and front yard of the group home. Most of the teens here with common sense, which is only me, found themselves a shady spot under a tree and settled there. Sitting on the light blue quilt under the wide spreading branches of an oak tree, I was thankful for the shade as I waited for my social worker Nori to arrive. She said she had some good news for me and was supposed to be coming today. 


I glanced impatiently up the road. "Wonder what's taking her so long?" I said to my two stuffed animals. Neither Hendrix nor Kurt said a word, though I knew they were as tired of waiting as I was. Hendrix, alone on my lap, didn't even bother to look at me. Kurt in the back of me, both of us sitting back against the tree, didn't bother to look at me either. They both just kept gazing east, toward the road. "Now this is just ridiculous!" I grumbled. "Having to wait this long! Been here more than an hour. I could've been back in the house! I got things to do!" 


"You know, Johanna, Nori might have gotten held up." I turned around and saw my foster mother Emmaline looking at me. 


"Maybe so, but that doesn't make her right!" I argued, knowing perfectly well that what she said was true. Still, what I said was true as well. Nori should've been here on time and I did have plenty of things to do and should have been back in the house doing them. 


Ma Emmaline, a pretty young looking woman for 56, was not one much for arguing, especially not arguing some useless point. She just looked at me, shrugged, turned, and faced the road. I gazed at the road too, hoping to see Nori's mustang convertible come up the road.


But it didn't come. 


I sighed and looked around. We sat at the northeastern corner of the crossroads just east of Lilac bridge that crossed a lake called the Fairy Lake. As on two of the other corners of the crossroads, forest land of white oaks an long leaf pines and bushes of ladened hazelnut grew densely upon it. 


After another grueling hour passed, I frowned.


"I don't understand it," I said, my voice flat. "Nori said she was coming. And it's not like her to go and change her mind, not after she said she was coming." 


Ma Emmaline nodded in agreement with that, then frowned and stared again up the road. "You...you don't suspect something happened to her do you?" 


I shrugged. "I hope not." 


Ma Emmaline heaved a heavy sigh, and dusted a piece of lint off of her apron. "Come on child, let's get on in the house."  She turned on her heels and began to walk to the door.

I got up and walked a few steps, only to stop.


"Wait, something's coming." 


She looked at me. "Well that's got nothing to do with us." 


I put a hand on my hip. 


"It might be Nori!" I turned back around and ran down to the curb. "Come on Ma Emmaline!" I ordered. 


She obeyed. As she stood beside me a car came into view. I recognized it as Nori's wine colored mustang convertible with the chrome rims shining in the sun. I smiled as her car drew near and slowed. 


"Nori!" I yelled as she got out the car. 


"Johanna, I'm sorry I'm late. I had to pick up the good news." 


"It's okay--wait..what? How do you pick up good news?" 


That's when the passenger door flew open, and a handsome man, tall and slender, wearing a short sleeve shirt and dress pants and a fedora stepped out. 


It was Michael Jackson. THE Michael Jackson. 


"Well Johanna..aren't you going to speak to Michael?" Nori asked as she looked at me.


And I spoke alright. "Boy," I said looking at him. "What in the world are you doing in that car?" 


He chuckled and put his hands in his pockets. 


"Johanna, I brought Michael over so he could meet you." Nori said smiling. 


Michael held his hand out to me. 


"Hi Johanna, it's nice to meet you." His voice was so soft. "..and your sister too." He gave Ma Emmaline a sweet grin.


She laughed and blushed, clearly flattered about his compliment.


I took his hand and shook it. 


"It's um..nice to meet you too." 


Ma Emmaline gave a wide grin and put an arm on my shoulder.

 
"Well Nori, what's the news?" 


I looked at Michael, and then Nori, expecting some concert tickets, or an autograph. 


But no. I was wrong. WAY wrong. 


Nori's eyes flashed to me and she smiled. 


"Well..Michael agreed to take care of Johanna. She's gonna be staying with him." 


Hold up. WHAT?! 


"No no no.." I said shaking my head. 


Nori frowned. "What's the problem?" 


"I can't just up and leave this place. I can't leave Niall or Justin here either." 


Ma Emmaline laughed and waved her hand. 


"Ah child, Justin and Niall are 17 and 18 years old. Adults. They can take care of themselves. Go ahead and go."

 
"Besides, if you go you can see new things. Try stuff you've never tried." Michael interjected. 


I folded my arms while watching Nori nod enthusiastically. 


"I don't want to try anything new. I wanna stay here with Niall and Justin." 


Ma Emmaline grabbed the both of my shoulders and leaned in close to my ear. 


"This is the best thing for you to do Jo." She whispered. 


Nori shifted her binder full of my personal business under her left arm and used her right arm to give me a reassuring pat on the back. 


"Don't worry Johanna. This is gonna be good for you."

End Notes:

...okay, so you don't have an obsession with Kurt. Do you have one for Boyz II Men? Lol 

This story archived at http://www.mjfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=4579