Dear Michael... by Mjmoonwalkergirl
Summary:

Chance, a twelve year old girl, is in love with Michael Jackson and writing letters to him make her feel that she may have some kind of contact with him. She does not mail the letters because she thinks he will never read them. Her world comes tumbling down when she finds out she has cancer. Her dying wish was to see Michael Jackson. Will Michael find out abut his special fan? Read to find out.  


Categories: Open Letters Characters: Michael, Original Girl
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 6749 Read: 13717 Published: Feb 27, 2011 Updated: Jul 09, 2011

1. Chapter 1 by Mjmoonwalkergirl

2. Chapter 2 by Mjmoonwalkergirl

3. Chapter 3 by Mjmoonwalkergirl

4. Chapter 4 by Mjmoonwalkergirl

5. Chapter 5 by Mjmoonwalkergirl

6. Chapter 6 by Mjmoonwalkergirl

Chapter 1 by Mjmoonwalkergirl
Author's Notes:

**DISCLAIMER*** The characters and events are pure fiction. None of the events took place. No copyright infringement intended.  All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  


 

Dear, Michael...

 

She wrote...

     Dear, Michael 

I know you will probably won't get this but how are you doing? I wanna know your deepest feelings and your darkest thoughts. I want to know the real Michael not the T.V. Michael. I bet we--

 

 "Chance, we have company," her mom yelled. 

 

"Coming..." Chance hated company. The only company she was interested in was if Michael Jackson was to come to her front door. She put down her pen and paper and started down the stairs. She saw that the company was her bum of an uncle standing there. Dirty and taking time to scratch his buttocks. 

 

'What does this dirty, no job, out of shape, old coot want from us now,' she thought.

 

"What brings you here Sedrick," mother said.

 

"Diane, little sis could you help your loving big bro with a place to stay," he said sympathetically, "I don't have anywhere else to go. You said if I couldn't find a place, there was always room at your house."

 

"Well... Sed, I don't know because I myself am not the only one living here. My daughter has a say in this too." Looking at Chance, she said "What do you think?"

 

'I say throw him out NOW! Why is he even in the house? You are a single mother and you got things to do, bills to pay and this poor excuse of a brother is gonna mooch off you for free? Uh NO. THROW HIM OUT,' she thought. "Uh... why not, if uncle Sed doesn't have anywhere else to go, why not." Chance could not believe what she said. What did she get herself into.

 

***

They chatted and talked even though Chance did not care

About what Uncle Sedrick had to say... "She chased me around the house with a knife, Diane." 

 

"Well Sed, I would too if you cheated on me," Diane said humorously. Giggling a bit at his statement.

 

"Diane it's not funny, I could've died," he retorted. 

 

Chance could not bare to look at Sedrick nor listen to him. She had always had this strong hateful passion about him. He had been so dependent on her mother that her father couldn't take it anymore and decided to leave. Till this day she blames him for her father walking out on her family. "Mother, may I please go to my room," Chance asked 

 

Disappointed by her daughter's hasty recommendation, she sighed a quick sigh and replied "Yes, you can go now." Chance saw the feeling in her mother's eyes but she couldn't take anymore of  the crap her Uncle was spilling. Diane was fully aware of how Chance felt about her brother. She tells her that her father leaving had nothing to do with Sedrick. Even though she knew she was buttering up he situation. Chance may have been only twelve years old but she sure did not act like it. She felt that she always had to be strong, be the "man" of the house. Diane just wished that she would not care so much about adult things and just be... a kid.

 

End Notes:

 

Please review and thank you for reading. This is my first story so please critique on me. 

 

Much Love

 

Chapter 2 by Mjmoonwalkergirl

Chance began to write again:

 

...would have a lot in common. I love the color red just like you. Ever since I was small I always wanted to care for the children of the world. That's why I love you so much, what you do for the children. Anyway, I better get some sleep.

     Love, Chance

 

Chance changed into her pajamas and drifted off to sleep. 

 

***

 

"Chance, you are very special to me and I'm glad I have this moment with you," he sang. 

 

"Michael this moment couldn't be any better than it is now," she admired. She looked into his dark chocolate eyes as they peered into her icy blue eyes. Yes she was right, this moment couldn't be any better. She and him were on a tropical getaway on an isolated island with the sunset giving off beautiful strands of red, orange, violets, and yellows. His curly hair blowing in the soft breeze. "Michael," she spoke "...I love you." 

 

His eyes softened and he opened his mouth to speak...

 

BUZZZ!!!! BUZZZ!!!! BUZZZ!!!! 

 

The agitating sound of her clock rang. "Damn it," she groaned underneath the warmth of the covers. She lazily reached her arm to turn off the alarm. 

 

"I heard that," her mother softly said while sitting next to her now fully awoken child. Chance unnoticeably rolled her eyes. Diane did not like her daughter cursing. She herself did not curse, it was how she was raised. However, her husband had a "potty mouth" you could say. Which is probably where Chance got hers from. "You know I don't like you using words like that," she scolded.

 

"I know... It uh... slipped out," she explained. 

 

"It doesn't matter Chance, watch your mouth next time."

 

"I promise I will watch my mouth, mother," she said mockingly.

 

"Okay. Now I want to talk about your Uncle Sed."

 

'Why did she always do this,' she thought. "What is there to talk about?"

 

"I know how you feel about him but I want you to not act like you absolutely hate him. After all he is your uncle; he's family." 

 

"I don't want to talk about this right now." She got up from the bed and quickly walked to the bathroom and slammed the door. 

 

"Chance," she said while walking up to the door, "Honey, please talk to me"

 

"I don't want to," she yelled.

 

"You can't keep this bottled up forever, sweetie. It wasn't his fault!"

 

Chance abruptly opened the door and said "If it wasn't his fault then it was probably yours!" Her mother was taken aback at her daughter's statement. "Now that I think of it, it wasn't Uncle Sedrick's fault. It was yours. You and your damned nagging. Nag, nag, nag, that's all you did was nag my father and look where that got you. You nagged him away and you're probably gonna nag me away too!" The glassy look in her mother's eyes told Chance she had said something really hurtful. 

 

Oh crap. 

 

She walked toward her mother,    "Mom, I-I-I... I didn't mean that." 

 

Silence

 

"Mom?"

 

"Uhm... Just get ready for school. I'll be waiting downstairs for you," she sounded shaken and hurt. With that her mother left the room.

 

She did as told and got ready for school. Feeling guilty for what she said. Chance grabbed her book bag and left for the kitchen. She grabbed an apple from the fridge and took a bite. She felt a cold chill down her spine as her mother passed her to grab her purse. "Are you ready to go, Chance," said Diane. Her voice seemed like she had gotten hit and hit hard and was ready to cry any minute.

 

"Uh..yeah." She took he last bite of her apple and they headed out the garage door.

 

***

 

The car ride to school was silent and awkward. Chance made sure not to make eye contact with her mother trying not to make the car ride even more awkward. A few minutes went by and they pulled up at the school. "...See you later, mom."

 

"Bye...hun."

 

Chance shut the car door and her mother quickly drove off. She sighed and walked into the school building.

End Notes:

 

Just want to tell you. The chapters are pretty short so bare with me :) 

     Much Love 

Chapter 3 by Mjmoonwalkergirl

 

She wrote...

 

Dear Michael, 

     Hey, how are you today? I have a question for you. What do you say to a person when you know know you said something that really hurt them? I really hurt my mom and I don't think a simple "I am sorry" would cut it. Ugh! You would not approve of what I have done. There's two people I've disappointed. I'll think some more... 

     Love, Chance

 

She plopped onto her bed and banged her head on the plush pillow. "What have I done," she yelled, but yet muffled by the pillow,"She will never forgive me!" Chance had been mad but never this angry, especially at herself. Her muffled screams became shaky cries of pain. Hot, streaming tears began to flow like fast rivers down her agitated face. 

 

Earlier that day:

 

The bell rang. Gym time. Gym was Chance's favorite class, she is very athletic. She walked into the locker room and changed into her gym clothes.

 

"Hey Chance," Nicole greeted, "What's up, how was your weekend."

 

"None much and Painful," she groaned.

 

"Want to talk about it?"

 

"Well...My Uncle Sedrick is moving in with us now...," she began, "Oh and I told off my mon this morning. Now she is really mad slash sad slash shocked. I have never said anything like that to her before."

 

"What did ya say?"

 

"I blamed her for my father leaving us. I even cursed too. Now I know that had to hurt." She looked down in shame. The guilt was eating her up inside.

 

"No way," she covered her mouth, "Did you apologize?"

 

"Yes.... No. I tried talking to her but she is just too disappointed, I'll let her cool off a bit. But I will definitely apologize."

 

"You better," she said playfully punching her friend's shoulder. 

 

"Alright girls," Coach Warren announced, "We are going down to the track and I want you to try and run around four times. Now, let's go" She led them outside to the track and they began running.

 

"Hey Chance," the voice was Nicole again, "Your pace is slower today. Usually you would have the fourth lap completed by now," she exaggerated.    

 

"Eh... I don't know. I've been feeling kind of weak lately. I thought I should slow down a bit. 

 

"Well I'll run with you so you don't feel lonely," she laughed caringly.

 

As they jogged, Coach Warren jogged up beside them. "C'mon girls keep up. Chance, I'd expect you to be done by now. What's up?"

 

"Uh, I was just a bit weak, thought I'd--," she was cut off by her own cough. Not just a little cough. It was a "smoker who smokes 10 packs a day and is just coughing up enough tar redo half the roads in America" kind of cough. 

 

"Oh my gosh Chance are you okay," Nicole stressed.

 

Cough. Hack. Cough. 

 

"Hold on Chance I'll get you some water," Coach Warren quickly went to get a water bottle.

 

Nicole brought Chance to sit on the ground and rest. She whispered, "Chance, I thought you quit this time." Chance's coughs eased. She knew exactly what Nicole was talking about. "You promised me that you would quit."

 

"Well I started back up again." Nicole's eyes widened. "Don't look at me that way. You don't know how hard it is to stop smoking."

 

"Okay, your right. I don't know hard it is to stop BUT I do know how easy it is to not start." She was right. Chance had started smoking a little after her dad had left the family. It began a cigarette here... One there. Then it became five here.... eight there. Before she knew it, she was addicted.

 

Coach Warren came back with the water and Chance drank. "Thank you," her voice raspy and soft.

 

"No problem, but I'll let you sit this one out, okay?"

 

"Okay."

 

**********

 

She banged on the pillow even more, feeling guilty that she started smoking again. Meanwhile, Diane was in her room. Cleaning?

 

**********

 

'I can't believe she said that to me,' she thought. 'Was she right? Do I nag too much? Was it my fault?' She began dusting her dresser as she recollected what endured that dreadful night.

 

**********

 

"Diane I can't take it anymore, he's got to go!"

 

"Richard just hold on a minute. He is family, I just can't throw him out. Where is he gonna go?"

 

"I don't give a damn where he goes as long as he's out of this house! Look Diane, it's not that I absolutely hate him, I just miss 'us'."

 

"Richard, 'us' is right here and nothing will change that. I'm just looking out for him."

 

"You don't understand honey, it's between us. You have changed. You don't say 'I love you' anymore, we never make love anymore, you don't laugh the way you used to," his voice was soft and hurt, "baby, we need to work 'us' out. And I don't think bringing Sedrick into the house will be any better for us." Diane's eyes were hesitant. "How about this," he suggested, "how about we go on that cruise that you've been wanting to go on? We could have some alone time and work on our marriage," he said wrapping his hands around her waist.

 

Diane pondered the thought, but something in her was telling her no. Her eyes filled with anger. How dare he try and push her one and only bother out of the house. She shook her head and unwrapped his hands from her. "Richard, how could you even think that I would rather look past  family to look onto my own pleasures? If you ever thought of other people's feelings, maybe we would have a better marriage. Maybe we would make love more. But as of now, I have family to take care of and if you can't handle that, you can leave."

 

Richard could not believe the words that came out of her mouth. He now understood where he stood in their relationship. "Alright Diane, I'm leaving..." With those words he left and never came back. 

 

What they didn't know was that Chance was standing outside their door. She had heard everything, warm tears ran down her face. She had heard her mother and father fight before but this fight was serious. She now understood that she was not going to see her father again.

 

**********

 

By this time Diane had tears down her face. It was her fault. She told him to leave. She didn't go after him. Her family was torn apart and she didn't try to mend it. She pretended everything was fine but everything is not fine. She needed to know how Chance really felt. She needed to know what she had to do. Diane ran to her daughter's room and swung open the door. 

 

"Chance I need to--" She was cut off by a horrible sight. Her baby girl was lying on the floor unconscious. She quickly dropped to the floor and held her daughter.

 

"Sedrick! Call 911! Hurry!" Her tears were blinding her as she held her daughter.

 

 

Chapter 4 by Mjmoonwalkergirl
Author's Notes:

Sorry for such a long wait. I had serious writer's block. Hope you like it :)

 

"Michael, we have everything ready for your tour. Now  all you have to do is sign some papers on which hospitals you will be visiting," said Michael's assistant Linda. 

 

"Okay, but, I would like to go to a children's hospital around California before I go to Europe. Can you make that happen?"

 

"Of course sir," she said, scribbling a few notes down on a notepad. "Would you like to read over these papers while I look for a children's hospital for you?"

 

"I would be delighted to," he said with a smile. Michael took the papers from her and they parted ways. He walked into his office and began to carefully read over the papers. You never know what some people will do or say just to bring you down for an uplifting in their own self worth. Michael knew how careful he had to be when it came to certain  press. They build you up just to tear you down...

 

**********

 

Diane and Sedrick were sitting in the waiting room. Sedrick had his arm around his baby sister, showing support and sympathy, quietly whispering that everything would be alright. Diane's heart was beating a mile a minute. But everything was not going to be alright; her daughter was found unconscious and has now been admitted to the hospital and is yet to wake up. Diane was no home specialist but this is not "alright".   You could see the streaks of old, dried up tears and the path of new, fresh ones on her face. She was silently praying and hoping that everything would he okay. She was wishing that everything would be how it used to be. She wished she would have stopped her husband from leaving. She wished that her family was not so torn and that they were one big happy, caring and loving family. 

 

Worst case scenarios were racing through her mind. The thoughts were clouding her mind with the worst, she needed to calm her mind.

 Diane prayed:

 

'Please God, don't let me loose my one and only baby girl. I need her so much. She is my life, without her I will loose my purpose in life. I will loose motivation to go on. Please God... Please..."

 

"Hey Diane, I'm going to the cafeteria to get some coffee, you want some," asked Sedrick. 

 

She shook her head no with a faint smile and he left. Soon he disappeared into the long hall....

 

A few moments later, a doctor with a tired and distraught face walked over to Diane. "Hello Ms. Bishop," he said with one of those sad smiles that you use when you're about to tell bad news, " can I see you in my office?"She could see the look of sympathy on his aged face.

 

She turned to him as they walked, "Dr. Jones, h-how is Chance?" Diane's breathing became shallow and a lump started to form in her throat. Her heart was beating fast; too fast...

 

He didn't answer, he simply sighed. This aggravated Diane because she wanted to know the condition of her daughter. When they got to Dr. Jones' office, he asked her if she wanted to sit down but she refused. "I don't want to sit down I just want to know if my daughter is going to be okay!" She began to get angry. 

 

"Ma'am, where you aware that your daughter smokes?"

 

Diane was dumbfounded, "What are you talking about? Chance doesn't smoke. Does she?" 

 

"Yes she did...a lot. She is conscious now but I also have some more news for you...," he trailed off. 

 

"Oh my God, more? What is it?"

 

"Ms. Bishop, your daughter has lung cancer."

 

Diane put her hand on her heart and sat down. "Lung cancer? No, this can't be... Not my Chance. No. No! There has to be a mistake... Well, I did find a cigarette in her laundry but she told me it wasn't hers. I believed her..." Her heart felt like it was being ripped out of het chest and being stomped on yet she could feel every stomp still as a sharp pain. 

 

Her eyes closed, she grabbed her chest and everything went black. She could still hear her shallow breathing but it sounded so loud. She could also hear the faint sound of Dr. Jones calling her name. A moment later, Diane could hear nothing. By this time, she had fainted onto the floor and Dr. Jones called a nurse to put her in a room and get Diane on a monitor, pronto.

 

**********

 

"Chance can you make yourself useful and bring your laundry to the laundry room," Diane teased in a British accent. 

 

"Okay mother dearest," Chance mocked. She squandered around her room to see what she needed washed. She checked her pockets to make sure nothing important was in them. Nothing found. She went downstairs and put her clothes with the other piles of clothes. 

 

A few moments later Diane came up to put the first load in. "Chance! Did you check your pockets!" 

 

"Yes mom!" 

 

Diane smirked and double checked. 'Hmm five pieces of gum, two notes, and fifty cents in change,' she thought, 'wait... what is this! Oh my goodness i-it's a cigarette! What the....' 

 

Diane rushed up the stairs and flung open her daughter's door. "Little girl, you have some explaining to do! What the hell is this?" Diane held up the cigarette.

 

In all her life Chance had heard her mother swear once, this being the first. Her mother was really heated. "Mom, that's a cigarette. I didn't know you smoked," said Chance trying to be smart. 

 

"Chance I am not in the mood for games. This is not mine. I found it in your pocket which you said you checked!"

 

'Damn I am busted. Uh think of something...think..think. Ah ha! Just say it's not mine,' Chance thought. "Well mom, it's not mine." 

 

Diane had a feeling that Chance was lying to her. But she decided to believe her daughter. She let out a sigh and broke the cigarette in half. Diane went down the hall and discarded it in the toilet. When she came back to Chance's room she sighed, "Well wherever it came from, it better not have a habit of showing up in this house."

 

"Yes ma'am"

 

 Diane left the room.

 

Chance let out a relieved sigh and laid on her bed 'That was a close one,' she thought.  

 

**********

 

Chance lay in the hospital bed and sulked in her misery. Why didn't she listen to Nicole or her mother? She knew the consequences. She began to think, 'How did things get this bad? What was I thinking?Hmm, i wasn't thinking.' Everything was silent in the room except for the beeping of the EKG machine and the faint sound of the television on some Looney Tunes cartoons. 

 

Chance looked around and stared at the walls. There was a bulletin board with pretty green letters on the top:

 

Faith Hope California Hospital....

 

Chance let out an exaggerated sigh. A few moments later, the doctor came in. He smiled at her. Maybe it was Chance being in the hospital or something but something about this man seemed familiar. His light brown skin and square jaw reminded her of... Nah, it couldn't be...could it? She shook her thoughts.

 

"Hello Ms. Chance I am Dr. Jones," he greeted, "how are you?"

 

"Uh... I'm  in a hospital bed with IVs in my arm. How do you think I am," she said. 

 

The doctor chuckled slightly, "I'm sorry, I didn't mean that sarcastically, I meant in terms of dizziness, fatigue, nausea, headache, vomiting, etc. Any of that?"

 

She shook her head no and looked away crossing her arms.

 

"Can you tell me what happened before you passed out?"

 

"I... Um.. I don't remember...," she mumbled. "Do you know if my mom is here?"

 

"Are you sure?"

 

She nodded yes. 

 

"Your mother is being checked out. She had an anxiety attack but nothing too serious or dangerous."

 

"I have some news to tell you," he said with a sigh.

 

"What is it," she said barely above a whisper.

 

"You have Lung Cancer, Chance."

 

Everything seemed like it was going in slow motion. Her vision became blurred but those were fresh tears forming. Her heart ached. She whimpered as the hot tears rolled down her cheeks. Dr. Jones himself wanted to hug her and tell her that everything would be alright. But he couldn't. He couldn't reveal who he truly was. He was Richard Jones. 

 

 

 

He was Chance's father.

 

End Notes:

I want to thank all the people who read my story. Also I would appreciate reviews.

Chapter 5 by Mjmoonwalkergirl

 

A few days had gone by and Diane was feeling better. She did get to see Chance but Diane couldn't speak, she was busy holding back tears. Also Chance began chemo tomorrow. Thinking of seeing her daughter in such pain and remorse brought chills to Diane's spine. She brought some things from home to make Chance feel a little bit comfortable. 

 

Every day that visiting hours were close to an end, Diane wanted to just hold her daughter and tell her everything would be alright but she couldn't bring herself to do it. What kind of mother was she? Diane was so busy being all tied up in her own drama that she couldn't tell the signs of her child smoking, nevertheless her child having cancer. Also Diane had this nagging feeling about Dr. Jones. Like she knew him from somewhere but she couldn't put her finger on it. She too shook her thoughts from him and focused on Chance. 

 

                    **********

 

"Mr. Jackson, I think I found a hospital that us suitable for you," said Linda. He picked up the papers and read the name of the hospital: 

 

Faith Hope California Hospital. 

 

"It's not entirely a children's hospital but they have a children's ward and I'm sure the other patients would be glad to see you too," she said with a smile. 

 

"It's perfect Linda, thank you. When can I visit?"

 

"They said you could come tomorrow but they would like to try and keep the press on the DL so the hospital will let you in at the back door." 

 

Michael having to enter through the back door did not phase him. He'd gotten used to it throughout the years.... "Well alright Linda. Thank you very much. What would I do without ya," he said with a bright smile. 

 

"It is what you pay me for," she said and smiled back then walked away to tend to other things. 

 

                    **********

 

Chance was sitting in her room on the hospital bed. She was glad her mother brought her journal so she could write. Her mother never knew that Chance wrote 'letters' to Michael. But then again she never asked what she wrote in it.  Chance sat upright in her bed writing in her journal:

 

Dear Michael,

 

     I am feeling miserable. I start chemo tomorrow, I heard that I would loose my hair and feel very sick. Have you ever felt that sick? Its funny because I keep getting this feeling that the doctor is my father. My dad left a while back but I don't think Dr. Jones is my dad. Maybe... Anyway to lift my spirits I sing your songs. Also when I'm sad. Michael I think I going to die. I can feel it... I can feel it in my heart.

 

               Love, Chance 

 

                    **********

 

Chance did like the idea of being in a room all to herself but that nagging thought of Dr. Jones was disrupting any good thoughts, if she had any. Her thoughts were interrupted by a knock at the door. 

 

The door opened. 

 

"Good afternoon Chance," speaking of Dr. Jones.... "How are you feeling--In medical terms." He corrected himself from the last time he asked her. Dr. Jones took a seat in a wheeled office chair. 

 

"I feel tired or that word you say... what's it called?"

 

"Fatigued?" Dr. Jones began to write on his clipboard. "Anything else?"

 

"Yeah... that and a headache. Also I get a shorten of breath. That scares me; it feels like I'm going to take my last breath and just go to hell where I belong."

 

Dr. Jones dropped his pen. He couldn't stand to hear his daughter talk this way about herself. "Chancy you're not going to hell and you're not going to die anytime soon. You are strong and both you and I know it." She looked at him blankly. 

 

Chancy...

 

Her father would call her that. It all made sense, the square jaw, his hazel eyes, his light brown skin, the way he looked at her, the 'Chancy', the EVERYTHING! He was her... her... father.

 

Chance couldn't believe it. How could she have missed this, of all things this?! She had a feeling but she didn't want the feeling to be real. 

 

"Dad?" She spoke barely above a whisper. 

 

His eyes grew wide then sighed. He was in the verge if years,"Yeah baby girl, it's me..."

 

"Daddy?" She was delirious. 'This is a dream. It has to be. I'm dreaming, please wake up,' she thought but she was fully awake.

 

"Yeah honey, it's me Daddy and I--" he was cut off.

 

"Why...? Why did you leave me?" she questioned. 

 

"Chancy--"

 

"No. No, don't call me that! You betrayed me. You left me all alone. This is all your fault... The reason why I'm in this hospital. Because you left, I got very stressed and depressed. Do you know how hard it is for a little girl to not have her father in her life? To not have that 'father figure' around? To feel so alone and feel like you were unwanted and unloved?" 

 

Her eyes were welled with tears and they were flowing freely down her pale face. 

 

Dr. Jones moved closer to her in the wheeled office chair. "Chancy-- Chance I am sorry. I did not mean to cause such distortion in your life. I understand if you hate me but I walked out on your mother not you. I sent birthday cards every year. I missed you." Richard's tears were now flowing too. 

 

"If you missed me so damn much, you would have came back. And what are you talking about, I didn't get any birthday cards! I don't want you to be my doctor anymore. I don't trust you!" 

 

He was very surprised at how freely Chance used profanity, he chuckled painfully inward; like father like daughter but on the more serious note, her words cut him deep. "Chance, you being my daughter will not interfere with my performance in how I care for you.

Baby girl, I love you." his words were truly from his heart but Chance was so angry and confused. He tried to move even closer so he could hug her but she pushed him away. 

 

"Get away from me! I hate you!"

 

As she finished her sentence the two figures in the door came in.

 

"Mom? Michael?"

 

End Notes:

 

I want to thank my readers and I love the reviews :) 

 

This is Chance just picture her with blue eyes :):

 

 

Diane: 

 

 

Richard:

 

 

***I don't know if the pictures will show up since I am using my mobile***

 

Chapter 6 by Mjmoonwalkergirl

 

"Come on... Come on....," Diane said to herself as she tapped the steering wheel with her thumbs. She should've left the house earlier, rush hour was a pain in the butt and there was a wreck up the road too. Also on top of that there is this big black SUV behind her honking the their horn for the past forty-five minutes-- very obnoxiously. They were also a bit too close. 

 

                    **********

 

"Can we go any faster? I have a schedule to keep," said Michael in a nice tone but with a hint if aggravation. 

 

"I'm sorry Mr. Jackson but there was an accident up the road. We will be stuck here for some time," said James, Michael's driver. 

 

"Linda can you call the hospital and tell them I'll--"

 

"Already done Sir, I called them and told them that we would be a bit late. They had heard of the accident and understood." She sighed and leaned against the window. Linda didn't mean to sound so irritated towards her boss but she was very tired and being in that car for such a long time wasn't helping her mood. 

 

"Oh," all he could say was 'oh'. What was he supposed to say? The woman was sitting next to him and hadn't even noticed her talking on the phone. "I'm sorry Linda, I--"

 

"Michael it's fine, I'm just very tired. I'm the one who should apologize for talking to you that way; you're my boss, isn't that what I'm payed to do, ya know... 'assist'," Linda explained smiling warmly. 

 

Before Michael could respond, they were abruptly jerked forward with the following sound of crushing metal. Luckily everyone had on their seatbelt. 

 

James carefully pulled over the car and put it in park. He exited the car to help Michael and Linda out. 

 

"Mr. Jackson are you alright?"

 

"Just a little shaken but I'm fine," he turned to Linda, "You okay?"

 

"Yes Sir I'm fine. But is the other driver okay?"

 

                    **********

 

What the hell?

 

Diane knew that truck was too close. She too pulled her car over and got out of her car. "Why in the freaking world were you that damn close to my car. Were you trying to kill me?! I was wondering when you were going to hit me." Diane yelled out sarcastically as she walked up to the other driver but stopped in her tracks when she saw who was standing there. 

 

"Oh my goodness your...your--"

 

"Michael Jackson," said Michael finishing her sentence while sticking his hand out for a handshake. Diane shook it and he smiled at her. 

 

"Are you okay? I'm so sorry for hitting you," he said with concern. 

 

"I'm fine, thank you. I just can't believe that Michael Jackson just hit my car."

 

"Again, I am very sorry. I will pay for the damages. I can call a tow truck for you if you want or I can send for a car to take you home."

 

"Well thanks for the offer but I was heading to the hospital down the road."

 

"Oh really? So was I. I could take you there if you want."

 

"I wouldn't want to impose... I can walk, it's only down the road."

 

"Nonsense! My other driver is on his way, there is plenty room for you." Just as Michael finished his statement, there was another SUV pulling up. 

 

It's not like Diane could didn't want to go. It was just overwhelming, that's all. She agreed to the ride and off they went. 

 

                    *********

 

"So Diane, if it's not too personal, who are you going to visit in the hospital," Michael said looking up at her. 

 

"Oh, no it's fine. I was going to see my daughter Chance," Diane began to get a bit teary eyed. "She has lung cancer." Diane explained everything including her divorce and practically her and her daughter's life story. Michael and Linda listened intently. 

 

"My daughter is a big fan of yours, do you think you could surprise her after you visit the other patients?"

 

Michael held Diane's hand and looked her in the eyes, "I would love to see your daughter."

 

"Thank you so much Mr. Jackson."

 

"No problem, and call me Michael," he said smiling. 

 

Diane's story struck a chord within Michael's heart. He wanted to reach out to her. It was as if God was leading her to him so he could help Diane's family. 

 

The rest of the car ride was silent but a nice silence. 

 

                    **********

 

It was about 4:30 p.m. and it was time for Chance's surprise. As they walked down the hallway to Chance's room, they heard loud talking. Diane began to get nervous. She had figured out that Dr. Jones was her ex-husband a couple of days ago. She even confronted him about Chance. The conversation played in her mind. 

 

                    **********

 

Dr. Jones was on his lunch break in his office when Diane approached him. 

 

"Hey Dr. Jones, can I talk to you for a minute. I hope I'm not interrupting."

 

"Oh no Ms. Bishop, not at all. Please take a seat."

 

Diane sat down. "When are you going to tell her."

 

"I don't know what you mean Ms. Bishop," he said with a confused look. 

 

"Cut the act Richard. I can remember the father of my child." 

 

Richard sighed and put down his sandwich. "Diane she is a smart girl. She will figure it out. Besides, she was not that young when I left. I see the way she looks at me, she knows something."

 

"And if she doesn't then what," Diane retorted. 

 

"If she doesn't, when the time is right, I will tell her. 

 

"Richard... You're her father. She needs you more than ever right now."

 

"Diane, I don't want to talk about this. I don't get very long lunch beaks and I would appreciate it if I could eat in peace." 

 

Diane never liked this side of Richard. Whenever he didn't feel comfortable, he would block you out. 

 

Diane wasn't going to stay someplace she wasn't wanted. So she got up and headed for the door. 

 

"Diane wait..."

 

She turned to him. 

 

"I miss you," he said

 

"I miss you too."

 

"I want us to be a family again. I want our love back. I want you back. Please let me back in your heart," he pleaded. 

 

(Don't you just love it when you can use Michael's lyrics in your stories). 

 

Diane became teary, "Richard, you never left my heart." She walked over to him as he stood up. The embraced and kissed ever so sweetly. 

 

"I love you," they said in unison. 

 

                    **********

 

Diane knew Chance would have many questions. She began to worry and it showed in her face. 

 

"Is there something wrong," Michael asked.

 

"Oh no, nothing is wrong." Diane smiled. Michael knew her smile was fake. He should know; he gave fake smiles to press all the time.

 

As they approached Chance's room, the talking became more loud. 

 

They entered the room. 

 

"Get away from me! I hate you!"

 

"Mom? Michael?" Chance was so shocked. 

 

"Excuse me," Richard said as he rushed out the room. He had tears in his eyes. Diane ran after him. 

 

"Richard wait!"

 

Michael walked over to Chance's bedside and sat down. 

 

"Hi... I'm Mich--"

 

"You don't need to introduce yourself. I know who you are." 

 

There was an awkward silence. What can you say after what just occurred. 

 

"Do you want to talk about it?"

 

Chance shook her head no. She sniffled as if she were to cry again. "Can you just hold me?"

 

"Of course." Michael hugged her and didn't let go. As he held her, she cried freely on his shoulder.    

 

       **********

 

Diane followed Richard into the men's room. 

 

"Richard, what happened in there?"

 

"She figured it out, Diane. Now she hates me!" He pounded his fist on the wall, cracking the ceramic tiles. "I wish we could go back in time, Diane. I really do. What were we even fighting about? She was right; if I would have just came back and tried to make things work, things might have been different. It's my fault she's here!" 

 

"Richard, don't blame yourself. It's as much your fault as is mine. But right now our daughter has cancer, ain't nothing we can do about it but be by her side."

 

Richard looked up at his ex-wife, "That's what I'm afraid of..."

 

Diane was confused, "What are you talking about Richard?"

 

He sighed, "I'm her doctor, what if she dies under my care." He began to cry hot tears. "I looked over her test results, Diane. Even with chemo she won't have long..."

 

Diane gasped. "What do you mean she won't have long? What are the chances of her recovering?"

 

"All I can say is that the chances of her living are smaller than her chances of dying."

 

"How small?"

 

"Ten percent."

 

"So there is a ninety percent chance..."

 

"Yes..." 

 

They cried in each others arms. 

 

End Notes:

I wanna thank all my readers :) and my reviewers :) 

This story archived at http://www.mjfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=415