A Dancing Nature by Thrillergirl93, BADgirl90
Summary: Sydney is a girl who dreams big and by big I mean dancing with the one and only Michael Jackson. Fresh out of college and away from her 3 best friends in New York to pursue her dreams she finds there she can achieve anything and makes a new companion along the way. But one phone call can change everything and her biggest dream could come true..
Categories: Romance, Adventure Characters: None
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 12 Completed: No Word count: 13258 Read: 37851 Published: May 16, 2010 Updated: Jun 23, 2011
Story Notes:
These will be posted in installments. I enjoy feedback so please rate and comment. I promise it won't be crappy. Enjoy! :D

1. Chapter 1 by Thrillergirl93

2. Chapter 2 by Thrillergirl93

3. Chapter 3 by Thrillergirl93

4. Chapter 4 by Thrillergirl93

5. Chapter 5 by Thrillergirl93

6. Chapter 6 by Thrillergirl93

7. Chapter 7 by Thrillergirl93

8. Chapter 8 by Thrillergirl93

9. Chapter 9 by Thrillergirl93

10. Chapter 10 by Thrillergirl93

11. Chapter 11 by Thrillergirl93

12. Chapter 12 by Thrillergirl93

Chapter 1 by Thrillergirl93
Author's Notes:
This is the first installment. If you like it, let me know. The story is done and will be posted depending on popularity.
Chapter 1

As I was called to the podium to speak I could feel the butterflies in my stomach fluttering around as if they had been there 1000 years and were dying to be free. When I made it to the podium I gazed at all the guest and graduates waiting for me to speak. I felt as if every eye was on me judging and waiting for me to do somthing astonishing. Pulling out my scrunched up folded speech I began to read. “A wise man once said ‘Only fools rush in’, and if that’s so then I believe we’re all fools.” Everyone gave a chuckle and I smiled at their acceptance of my joke then continued. “We all came here with a desire and a passion, some continued their passion and some chose another path. The fact is, whether you did one or the other you stuck to it. Which is why we’re here today, to commence those exact people. And I know most are either just glad that it’s finally over or sad to loose the friends we've made along this journey. As we say our goodbyes we must always remember that not all goodbyes are permanent endings, they can also be perfect beginnings too.” I turned to look at the professors sitting behind me aknowleding my every word, “And I know that Bennington is going to miss this class the most, no doubt.” The professors and audience laughed in agreement. “With that said Ladies and Gentlemen”, I hesitated to create anticipation. There was nothing but silence as we all held our breath, “Class of 1983! We did it!” I finished then flung my purple cap into the air and everyone followed. I folded my speech back up and turned around to give my professors a hug and thank them. As I walked off stage I smirked to myself in rememberance of all the good times I had in this college. In college I’d made class Valedictorian which in a sense was kind of weird. I was always the girl who’d be pushing time, running to school and through the halls, and diving into class just before the bell. I was young and I guess I grew out that adolescence. As I was making my way out of the auditorium I scanned the room for the three people I wanted to see and hug. Towards the exit I found them waiting for me, my three best friends in the world. They ran screaming in my direction, “We did it!” When I got to them we embraced as if it had been a hundred years since we’d seen each other. Ray, Lilith, and Alice had been my friends since third grade. It seemed weird considering all the times we shared from stealing animal crackers to middle school heart breaks to entering high school scared to death. These girls had always been the family I never had and the friends I always wanted. After hugging we headed outside to the parking lot where our cars were, arms linked together, to say our final ova’s. Nearing the parked waiting cars I felt a wind of remembrance wash over me; all the fights, all the pranks, and all the gossiping sleepovers seemed more far away than we ever dreamed they would, yet still all the more pure. There we stood once four silly girls and now four great women ready to go out and change the world. Lilith was going to be a photographer, Ray was pursuing a career in music (we were always joking about buying her hit album someday and Lilith would shoot the cover), finally Alice was going to be an animal rights activist. As for me? I was going to be a famous choreographer. A long time ago we promised that after graduating college once a year we would meet and talk about how our lives are going and any new love interest, you know girl stuff. “Remember our promise, once a year. Until’ then we’ll write all the time and call as well. So everybody pay their phone bills”, I said smiling and looking at Lilith. She’d had a history of not doing that and rolled her eyes at my comment. “Where are we going to meet?” Alice asked. “New York city. That way our Syd Squid”, that had been my nickname, “can show us a good time in the big city.” Ray said smirking. We all agreed, New York was the place we’d meet. The four of us hooked our pinkies to one another and made a sacred pinky promise as had been the tradition forever before. Handing out my address to my new apartment in New York City, I’d been a little skeptic they’d write me even though I knew they would. I hugged them all and said goodbye as they entered their cars first, heading more farther away than they ever had before. A cool spring wind blew and past winter leaves danced gently across the cement as my friends drove away. I felt myself begin to cry a little, but a year is only a year, in time we would see each other again. My future beckoned me to chase after it and ‘The city that never sleeps’ was calling my name.
Chapter 2 by Thrillergirl93
Author's Notes:
Thanks for the reviews on chapter 1, the ones that did. AHA! Here is the awaited chapter 2. Enjoy! Rate. Comment. Feedback, feedback, FEEDBACK! :)
Thank you!
‘Honk, honk!’ The sound of angry car horns and screaming pedestrians woke me from a sleep that I rarely was ever able to achieve. It’s been three months since college graduation and I’d received a letter from Lilith twice and Alice once. Three months and no sign of my desired future in sight. I guess I expected it to be easy, how silly. I did, however, manage to get a job in a family owned costume shop right in the middle of an Asian section called, China Town. Which wasn’t so bad because it paid enough to get me by and the family was nice enough. Nice people are hard to find here in New York. I turned to face my clock, it read 11:00 am, “ughhh”, and I groaned pushing my self out of bed. Like I said, I’m not an early riser. I really wished I’d hear from Ray soon, she always knew what to say to make the forks in life’s road seem no bigger than a flea. Trudging down the hall to the kitchen to make some coffee in an attempt to wake myself I turned on the television to watch my morning ‘MTV’, a ritual everyday before I went to work. When I turned to head to the kitchen I heard the hosts announce the next video, “Michael Jackson’s ‘Billie Jean’ ”. Doing a complete one eighty turn I grabbed my brush sitting on the arm of my couch and ran to the front of the television excitedly. Doing the best of my ability to imitate Michael’s dancing, I jumped around the living room gyrating and moon walking. When the chorus came on I sung into my brush and I didn’t care how I sounded. However, apparently my neighbors above me did, they began stomping the floor and screaming at me to quiet down. I stuck out my tongue at them then reached to turn the T.V. down. Just for the record if you don’t like annoying neighbors or walking around your place like a mouse then New York maybe a little harder for you to adapt to, but I deal. I looked at the clock on my wall in the kitchen, 11:25am. Deciding I’d better take to the coffee to go I went to get ready for work. I had about thirty five minutes before I had to be there, but remember there’s always traffic. I put on a white tank top, mid cut shoulder padded, black blazer jacket, my semi tight skinny jeans, and last my white Reeboks. I went to the bathroom to fix my hair, man it was a hot mess, grabbing a comb I picked through it while teasing at the same time. When I was done I picked up my purse and door keys and left. I jogged down the stairs then made my way outside to the street. “Taxi! Hey!” I yelled waving my arm. A few passed me, but finally one stopped. I opened the door and got in. “China Street”, I said as I shut the door. The cab driver looked at me in the rear view mirror, “Got it”, he said and drove off. Oh man, anyone who tells you cabs don’t stink are either missing one of their senses or are just plain ignorant/ in denial. I rolled down my window to take in some kind of air that actually didn’t affect my up-chuck reflexes. I saw the people on the streets, some in fancy suits, some in everyday clothing, and some who were dirty and most likely homeless. I turned my head away and rested it on the back of the seat while sighing. Those kinds of things make me wish that I could change the world with a snap of my fingers.
When we reached the street I bent forward to pay the driver, “How much”? He glanced down towards the meter, “9.50$”, he informed. I pulled out a 10$ bill and told him to keep the change as I exited the car. Even though the shop was about two blocks away I walked, it relaxes me. Passing tons and tons of people I reached the shop and opened the door. “I’m here! Hello?” I said. ‘Crash’! And then I heard an old woman mutter a few profanities under her breath, I couldn’t help but chuckle. “Sydney? Is that you?” she asked entering the front of the store from behind a curtain. She was an Asian woman, very short, dusty gray and black hair. Her family had come here from Japan during World War 2. “You’re early, I hope this isn’t overtime?” she asked. I smiled and replied, “Nope, I wasn’t sure if I’d make it here on schedule because of traffic and I missed hearing random obscene words from an elderly woman”. She gave me a look and walked behind the counter, “I may be old, but I can still turn you over my knee, missy”. “I don’t doubt it, you’re fire cracker.” I said while walking to the back to clock in. “And you’re a smart ass” I heard her say barely from the front. Her name was Mrs. Chung so I assumed she was married, but I never pressed the topic since her husband was never mentioned before. After clocking in I turned back and headed to the counter to start working. Mrs. Chung was at the register collecting the money to put in the safe. I put my elbows on the counter and leaned forward. “Busy day, huh?” I asked disappointedly. The store was deserted; nothing in sight except costume racks, walls of mask, and make-up, among other things. “Oh yes, we’re just booming like always” Mrs. Chung replied sarcastically as she shut the register. She walked out from behind the counter and headed toward the back to do paper work while I stayed up front to take care of customers. On the floor I kept magazines to read to ease the boredom. Some were really old and others were fairly new. I shuffled through them and picked up the Rolling Stone issue of Michael Jackson from back in February. Being a dancer of course my number one idol would be him. I loved him in the Jackson 5 and I love him now as Michael. My shift ended around 6pm, it was now going on 5:50 and not one person came in. It was like this most days; we really set off around Halloween though. Mrs. Chung came out, “Nobody, huh? You can just go home early, what’s ten minutes if in 7 hours no one came in?” she said. I put my magazines back down and grabbed my things to head out. I gave Mrs. Chung a hug, “I’m sure Monday will be different”, I assured. She turned and replied, “Ha! Keep dreamin’ honey. This is New York, remember?” I smiled and rolled my eyes as I left the store. Since it was August, around dark it always got a little chilly and if it hadn’t been I would’ve walked, but I didn’t want to get sick so I decided to get another cab. I reached my complex and stepped out after I paid the driver. As I was about to reach the stairs something caught my eye, a little boy in raggedy, dirty clothing sitting against the steps. “Hey, what are you doing here?” I asked walking to side of the steps. He just looked up at me with sad eyes. I couldn’t tell because he was so dirty, but he looked like he had brownish, blondish hair and green eyes. He couldn’t have been more than twelve years old. I knelt down beside him, “Where’s your parents?” I asked scanning around maybe finding someone he belonged to. I didn’t see anyone and I couldn’t just leave him out here in the cold. ‘Damn, what do I do?’ I thought. I’m a bleeding heart so I picked him up and carried him to the door. I searched for my keys and unlocked the main entrance. Luckily I was only on the second floor. I reached my apartment and went in to set down my stuff. After that I took the boy to the bathroom, sat him down and ran some bathwater to get him cleaned up. When it was full I knelt on one knee, “Do you want me to stay? I’ll just be right outside”, I asked and gestured to bed that was in view. He shook his head no, “Okay, here’s a towel and a wash cloth“; I pulled out from under the sink. After I showed where the soap and Shampoo and Conditioner were I walked away then said as I turned around, “I’m Sydney”.
End Notes:
I have chapter 3, but I'm waiting to see if I get any replies/reviews/ratings. I don't want to feel like I'm posting it for nothing.... and I wanna build the suspense. Can you FEEL it?! Thanks!
Chapter 3 by Thrillergirl93
While he was in the bath I went and tried to find him some old clothes of mine in the hall closet since I used to be a really skinny boney girl around the beginning of college. All I could find was a medium tie dye shirt and some old pajama shorts. I walked back into the bedroom just in time. He walked out with a towel around him and I handed him the clothes. “I hope you don’t mind wearing these even though they were mine and I’m a girl?” I asked. He shook his head no. “Okie dokie, go put these on and I’ll get your old clothes.” I told him. He walked over to the other side of the bed and I went into the bathroom to get his clothes. ‘Man these are dirty and ohhh they smell. Ewwww’, I thought to myself. When I turned to walk out of the bathroom I glanced up and laughed. My shirt swallowed him whole and the pants were pretty big. As he held the pants up I went to my dresser, “Wait, let me get you some safety pins to pin those for you”, I chuckled. I knelt down and he let go so I could pin them. When I was done I asked him if they were too tight, again he shook his head no. I stood up and sighed then held out my hand for him to hold as we walked to the kitchen. Picking him up and setting on the counter I searched through my refrigerator trying to find him some food. I pulled out last nights chicken and rice and heated it up in the microwave. I turned and leaned next to him on the counter and asked, “I hope that’s okay with you, I haven’t had time to go grocery shopping”, he shrugged his shoulders. I gave him a skeptic look, “hmmm, you are a mystery boy”, then the alarm went off and I grabbed the plate and handed it to him. Walking to the other side to get a fork I turned back around to find him already stuffing his mouth. Chuckling I put my weight on one foot and shook my head. Then set the fork back in the drawer and he looked up at me. “Thirsty?” I asked already knowing the answer. He shook his head a slow yes, ’finally!!!’ I thought. I reached in the refrigerator and pulled out a water bottle and handed it to him. I swear this kid was a vacuum; the food was scarfed down in minutes! I really looked at him since he was clean; he had plain blonde hair, green eyes, pale good complexion. He was a cute boy. When he was done I put a serious face on and asked, “Okay, I don’t need to know everything, but I do have a few questions. Will you answer them for me?” he replied, “Yes”. I was taken back for a second then continued and asked,
“How old are you?”
“Eleven and a half”. Ohh, like that makes a difference, I thought.
“What’s your name?”
“Sam”
“Where are your parents, Sam?”
“I don’t know”
I thought about that answer for a second, “Why?”
“They just left me. I’ve been living on the street for months”, he said nonchalantly. That broke my heart.
“Do you want to stay here or do you want me to find a foster home?”
He replied quietly, “Here please”.
I shook my head, “Well, I guess this means we’ve got shopping to do. And I have to figure out how you’re going to earn your keep”, I said winking at the last part. He hopped off the counter and followed me to the living room. I told him to sit on the couch while I found cartoons on the television for him to watch so I could shower. I found some old Bugs Bunny and Daffy Duck toons’ then set down the remote and headed to my bedroom to shower. After about twenty minutes I got out and dried off then put my jammies on in the bathroom. When I walked out Sam was already in my bed asleep. All I could do was smile and make a small bed on the couch, I figured it’s just a bed and he could sleep on the couch tomorrow. I thought about that for a second, tomorrow I have to take him shopping for a few outfits. I must admit before I went to sleep I was very excited. That night I didn’t dream at all which is good because I didn’t want to think about a dream that I had while shopping. ‘Bang, bang!’ the sound of gun shots woke me and I jerked up startled. Looking around nervously I found that it was the television and that Sam was watching Bugs Bunny, he was hooked. It was 12:00pm when I got up, I raised my arms to yawn and stretch. “How long have you been up?” I asked. “About an hour”, he replied. I sat there confused, “And you’ve been up all this time watching cartoons”? He turned his to look at me and said, “Yeah, it’s a marathon, I guess.” I shrugged then made my way to the kitchen and got some coffee. “Hungry?” I asked Sam, hoping he would eat again. “Yes.”, he told me. I opened the refrigerator and said loudly, “Want some breakfast? Eggs and toast good with you?” His eyes never left the screen, “Please and Thank you, Sydney.” I jerked around, that had been the first time he’d said my name and I felt he was already warming up to me. After breakfast I told him we were getting him a few outfits today, but they couldn’t be too expensive. He didn’t care at all; I guess small things make any little kid happy. By the time we got ready it was about 2:00pm, we’d spent most of the time watching the marathon. Leaving the apartment we walked downtown a little ways where the thrift stores were and such. We walked to save more money for him to spend. I swear we were both like little kids, even though he actually was. Sam and I were running around stores playing hide and seek, trying on this and that, and just laughing. You know being kids like so many people rarely let themselves do. After we’d finished shopping I had just enough money to share an ice cream sundae. I could tell that Sam was having loads of fun. Today was a good day and something I needed lately. When we got back home it was around 6pm and I was unlocking my apartment door when the phone rang. “Sam, go watch cartoons. I’ll be right back”, I told him and hurried to my bedroom where the phone was. “Hello?” I answered. “Well, haven’t heard from you missy. How’s it going?” a voice replied. “Who is this?” I asked confused. “Oh damn, it’s Ray! Gees”. I felt so stupid. “Oh! I’m sorry. We haven’t talked in forever. How’d you get my number?” I said. Ray explained that she’d written Lilith, whom I’d given my number to and Lilith sent it to her. “I see”, I replied. “So what’s new with you? Don’t leave any details out”, Ray commanded. “I took in a homeless child whose parents abandoned him. He’s eleven and half years old, his name is Sam, we went shopping today, and he likes sundaes. Other than that it‘s been pretty mundane”, I told her. She gasped, “Oh my god, Syd! Are you going to keep him? That’s crazy”! “He’s not a new puppy, dork. And yes, I plan to let him stay here”, I assured. “Well, even though you’re life has been so exciting, mine has been tiring. Voicing classes are so freaking hard, I can barely stand it”! Ray complained. “Awwh, did you call me just to whine about voicing classes or have something important to tell me?” I asked sarcastically. She huffed, “Oh Sydney, believe me you want to know what I have to tell you. I bet you a piece of fresh Lemon pie”. I thought about that for a second, “Kay, elaborate. What’s important?” I asked a little intrigued. “Syd, you have to promise not to scream because I know you, you have one of the loudest screams ever. Promise?” Ray asked cautiously. I assured her I would not scream even though I wasn’t completely sure. “Well Michael Jackson has a new video he wants to make and he needs experienced dancers. And the best part is, the tryouts for the video are in New York City!” she said expecting a big reaction. “That’s not funny”, I said quietly. I didn’t believe her, this whole thing was too cliché. “Oh my god, are you serious? I know how you are about him. I would never lie or play like that! C’mon Syd you know me!” she said shocked and upset. Breaking my promise, I screamed. “Ahhh, oh my god! Holy cow!” I yelled excitedly. I just kept repeating it over and over again. After I calmed down I asked if she had more information, today was my lucky day. It happened to be at a studio I practice at sometimes right down the street. It started at 8:00 am and you had to have proof you’re experienced. And it was going to last two days. Another more shocking fact was that the first day was tomorrow! Ray and I talked a little bit more then she let me go so I could prepare, but not before giving me her number also. Hanging up I ran into the living room where Sam was. “Do you know what I just found out?” I asked ecstatically. He gave me a weird look and shook his head no. I explained to him as calmly as I could, which wasn’t very calm, what Ray had just told me. Sam was happy for me but asked, “Where am I gonna go?” I stopped for a second, I hadn’t really thought about that. “I guess you’ll come with me tomorrow. Wanna?” I replied hoping he would. Shaking his head yes excitedly made my mood even better. I turned to head to my room and dig out my dancing equipment, which consisted of: shoes, leggings, shirts, shorts, and my diploma I received from college for choreography. I’d found every thing but my shoes. I chose another box to look at, but it was full of old pictures and lying on top of it was an old picture of my friends and I. It was the day we’d went out and bought Michael Jackson’s ‘Off the Wall’ album. I was in the middle holding it and everyone else had a cheesy smile on while giving thumbs up, that was our thing. Since me being the bigger fan of the four, I kept the album and had it framed on my wall. Ha, ‘Off the Wall’ was hanging on the wall, I’m a dork. Anyway I’d kept my gym bag under my bed for easy access. I’d always put water, towel to wipe my face, and maybe an energy bar sometimes in it. Putting the picture back I went to look under my bed. When I did I found the box that held my shoes in it and right under those was my diploma. It was still in oddly good condition. I spent the rest of the time getting things in order for tomorrow. I was so nervous, it was hard to sleep.
Chapter 4 by Thrillergirl93
Author's Notes:
FEEDBACK!!
Chapter 4

‘We got the beat, we got the beat…!’ the song on the radio blasted. I glanced at my clock, 7:30am. Hopping out of bed I sped around to get dressed and get everything in order to leave with. Finishing around 7:40 I ran to wake up Sam. One of the great things about little kids is that they take about two minutes to get ready. By 7:45 we were walking out the door and Sam was still in a daze from being up so early. The studio was only about two blocks away, thank God! Luckily we’d made it there by 7:55am; I’d never seen a bigger line in my life! I went to the last person in line and asked, “What do we do if we have a lot of dance experience? Can we just go in?” She looked at me and replied, “Yeah! We’re just extras incase they need more”, the girl gestured sarcastically. I shook my head and looked at Sam who was about to start drooling from being so tired. Obviously he was not an early riser either, something else him and I had in common. But my adrenaline had been pumping all night so I was ready to go. When we got the front of the building there were these rotating doors that make you go around in circles at the entrance. ‘Man, so tempting. Focus Syd’, I told myself. The lobby was huge and it echoed when you walked. Every thing you said rung through the building, even the tiniest whisper could sound like a normal conversation.

We made our way up to the front desk where a guy with slick hair and a cheesy French looking mustache stood. “Can I help you?” he said with a snobby accent. I looked at Sam who wanted to laugh at his face. “Yeah, dance auditions?” I replied as nicely as I could. He cleared his throat, “Do you have proof of experience? Because if you don’t you’ll have to wait with the others.” He drew every word out like a snail and gave off an ‘I’m better than you, you’re bothering me’ aura. I handed him my diploma and some recommendations from my professors I’d found wrapped along with my diploma. He scanned through them, “Mmm, okay you may go on”; he stuck his nose up and sniffed. Instead of stairs I chose the elevator. As the doors closed I said, “Snobby bastard.” Sam jerked his head up and I looked at him, “Sorry!” he just giggled. The doors opened and we walked into a large hallway. “Which way would you pick”, I said speaking to Sam while looking one way and him looking the other. “Mmmm, this way!” Sam pulled me to the right. “I hope you know where you’re going” I said unsure about this. Oddly enough we then stopped right at a door that read, ‘Dance Room’ and under that read ‘Michael Jackson tryouts’. I looked at Sam shocked and he just smiled. As we walked in I thought, ‘Wow amazing kid’.

Sam stopped and I stopped there were so many people and this room was huge. I’d only ever used the room downstairs that was like a fourth of this, if that! Dancer after dancer after dancer I saw as I scanned the room. Suddenly my eyes were transfixed on a table that four people sat behind. There was an African woman, a really skinny guy, a man whom I recognized as John Landis, and Michael Jackson. ‘Wait! What?’ I thought. I shook Sam’s arm excitedly. I bent down, “Sam! Sam! That’s Michael Jackson! Tell me you see him so I know it’s real!” I whispered and let out a quiet squeal of excitement. “I know Syd, you can stop now.” he replied. “Oh, sorry”, I said coming back to reality. I guess our entrance was noticed by the skinny guy because he gestured to us to come over there. Sam was the first to walk and yanked me along with him.
Clearly he didn’t grasp what was happening, but I was glad I brought him. When we reached the table John handed me some papers and was saying something, but I didn’t focus. I was in my own little world and every few seconds I’d glance at Michael when he wasn’t looking at me. “He’s adorable. Is he your kid?” the girl asked. I had no idea how to answer, “You could say that”; I said laughing a little on the inside. Then she rose to shake my hand, and then the skinny man, then John did the same. After John came Michael, he rose up and reached his hand out to gesture I should shake it. My eyes got wide and I couldn’t move until Sam nudged me. “Ohh excuse me, I’m sorry”, I said nervously. We embraced our hands and shook them. “No problem, good luck”, Michael said while giggling. “Okayy”, I whispered in a daze of what just happened. Sam and I walked over to the mirrored wall so I could stretch. I sat down my bags, “Ugh I’m such a numb skull” I groaned slightly hitting my forehead as well. “No you‘re not, don’t worry about it. He didn’t notice”, Sam assured me. I look worriedly at him, “How do you know?” I begged.

He rolled his eyes as I began stretching. He continued, “Because unlike you I wasn’t all ‘goo goo gaa gaa, star in eyes’ freaking out.” He said so sure of himself. I gave a weird look, “Wait a minute, last night you’d barely talk. Where’d you get this mouth, little boy?” I said half jokingly. Sam simply smiled and said, “Easy, it was the cartoons.” I was confused, “yeah the cartoons, you’re an adult who watches cartoon marathons. That’s awesome!” he said enthusiastically. “Oh I get it; it all leads back to cartoons! Wow I’m dumb, of course! How oblivious am I?” I replied sarcastically but still joking. As soon as I was done stretching we were called over to listen to John. I turned quickly, “Sit here and please don’t move kay?” I said. Sam shook his head as a yes. I gave thumbs up and rushed my way over so I wouldn’t miss a thing. He was handing some papers to everyone, “First things first. These papers are your resumes, you will fill them out the best you can. Obviously you’re here because you have experience, but we just want to know a little more about you. Have these filled out and turned in by the next tryout tomorrow. Well, Michael you wanna take it away?” John asked as he finished his informing us. The skinny man and Michael rose up together and I lost my breath for a second. They both looked at each other like ‘what are you doing?’, and then laughed. ‘His laughter sounds like Angels wings flying through a golden sky. Okay, that may have been a bit much. Scratch that, he’s got an adorable laugh. Not so psycho’, I thought.

As they were laughing still confused John said, “Not you smelly”. Michael just gave him a look and chuckled to himself, “Oh funny John, you and Quincy are real funny”, and he told him. I smiled like crazy, ‘this was great, nothing could get more perfect or go wrong’, I said to myself. “Try outs begin now”, John said. ‘Except maybe that‘. Everyone froze as Michael (Not Jackson) walked over in front of us. “Hello, for those who don’t know me I’m Michael Peters. I’ve worked with Michael”, he gestured toward the one at the table, “on the ‘Beat It’ choreography and today we will be dancing so I hope you’re ready” Michael informed us.
Yes, I was nervous as hell, but I was also excited. “You will be spilt up into three teams. Since there are quite a good bit of you the teams will be rather large”, he said. Michael (Peters) started counting all of us, “ we need eighteen backup zombies and four pop lock dancers and there’s about sixty of you. So that means twenty per team.” Counting us off us was assigned our teams. Splitting to each side of the room we listened to Michael tell us what to do. I looked at the specific spot I told Sam to stay at, he was gone. Stepping forward in front of everyone I scanned the room worriedly. When I finally saw him what I saw was almost something you could faint over. Not only did he get up and move, but he was standing next to him whispering a conversation back and forth! And by ‘him’ I mean Michael Jackson in the flesh! They were laughing, smiling and I almost shrieked at the sight of this, who knew what they were talking about? What was he doing? I had to slap my self back into reality and pay attention. “Each team will be assigned one song from ‘Thriller’ in which they will incorporate their best Michael Jackson moves.

Whenever your team is next one person step up, it doesn’t matter who”, Michael informed. Pointing to each group he gave a number and a song. “Your team is number three and your song is ‘Wanna Be Startin’ Somthin’”, he said talking to my group, “let’s make it happin captin.” The music came on and group one was up. Their song was ‘Billie Jean’ and some of these dancers were pretty good, but I already knew I was better. I mean I’m not trying to sound cocky. Group two, ‘Beat It’. One dancer after dancer after dancer walked up. Then about an hour later, no joke, I was up.
End Notes:
Thanks!
Chapter 5 by Thrillergirl93
Author's Notes:
Feedback!!
Chapter5

When I stepped up I could feel everyone’s eyes watching me, looking for some kind of imperfection. The beat came on and that was it, all I need when I’m nervous about dancing is the music. Then everything is okay again until’ the music stops that’s when the nerves come back. I threw a few flips out just for show; people are always amused by that.

Right before the chant came on I back flipped about three times, with out busting my butt, then twirled twice and stopped for a moon walking solo. Every so often I could see me dancing in the mirrors, I was actually pretty proud. I ended with my arm straight up and hand stretched out while my legs were spread (don’t be perverted). Claps and cheering filled my ears and my doubts about the performance melted away like and icy block of self consciousnesses. But I heard someone’s clapping and cheers more than the others, Sam’s. Standing next to him was Michael himself (why do I keep saying that?) applauding for me!

This was all almost too perfect, when everyone was done we gathered once more. Michael Peters spoke once more, “Everyone, you did a great job. I hope to see this talent every time”. When he was done he turned to Michael (yes, Jackson) and asked him if had anything to say. I promise as this man stood if anyone was whispering before they weren’t now. If I were deaf or not I couldn’t have told the difference. He cleared his throat, “I wanna thank everyone for coming today. I didn’t think we’d have so many great dancers. I just want you all to know that even if you don’t make the cut, it’s not because you’re not good. You just weren’t what we needed at this time”. As he was saying all this he smiled and just made me all jittery inside.
That was the end of the day, everyone dispersed and I gestured Sam to come over so I could get my stuff and leave. He said bye and jogged over. I wanted to jump him and demand answers to all my questions, but instead suppressed the desire. Sam and I were walking out of the room when I turned and Michael Jackson was staring right at me!
He smiled, waving slightly as to gesture to me that he was saying good bye. Oddly enough I was able to play it cool, waving slightly and smiled as well. We made our way into the elevator and as soon as the doors closed I could no longer resist my actions. I dropped my bag and got down to his level. “What’d he say? Did you say anything about me? What did you two talk about?” I asked loudly. Sam looked at me, “What did who say?” I rolled my eyes and replied, “Michael Jackson! C’mon Sam. Really?” Looking like he realized what I meant he said, “He didn’t really say anything shocking.
He said a few things about you. We talked about all kind of things, cartoons, music, interest, and the dancers.” He said this so nonchalantly, I couldn’t believe it! “What did he say about me?” I asked him almost shrieking. About the time I asked him the bell rang and the doors opened. We were both caught off guard, I was pretty sure the whole lobby heard my question. I could hear my voice echo across the room. Sam and I just played it cool and straightened up and walked out. As we were walking I smiled and whispered, “This isn’t over little one.” He put his hands in defense, “Hey, I’ll tell you whatever you wanna know Sydney.” We laughed and made our way back to my apartment.
Car after car whizzed by as Sam and I got through the building doors. “Race ya to the top!” Sam yelled as he ran up the stairs. He’d already started and I just followed as fast as I could. I’m surprised with all the noise we made going that somebody didn’t think it was a stampede! I clicked the lock on the door and Sam was first in, he obviously won. I was about to enter when I heard, “Sydney!” I turned to see my landlord’s son, Harry. He’s always had a thing for me and the feelings were always non-mutual. “Harry! How are you?” I tried to fake. This man was everything you’d never take to home to meet the family. Bald, fat, greasy, hairy, and an all around jerk. I shut the door quickly before he could see Sam as I said hello.
Harry walked up to me, something I begged he wouldn’t do, and began talking. “Blah, blah. I’m a loser so I need to make a fool of myself “, was all I could really let my ears comprehend. In reality he’d probably be bragging about something to impress me. “So Sydney, I hear you’re still single these days”, he tried to say smoothly, it came out like sand paper. “Awwh, now who are you hearing this from?” I asked sarcastically. He looked at me from the side of wrinkly eyes, “C’mon Syd, just go out with me.
I can show you what a real man can do”. As he said that he did a few obscene gestures. I gave him an ‘Oh really?’ look then replied, “Along with your self respect and your sense of hygiene I guess chivalry died too, assuming you ever had any”. With that I turned and entered my apartment. Harry still had this confused look on his face and with any luck he would be gone by the time I had to go back out.
Chapter 6 by Thrillergirl93
When I came back in Sam was standing there waiting for me. “What was that about and why’d you slam the door on me?” he asked in a demanding tone. “Well that’s my landlord’s son who’s in love with me, but I hate him. If he saw you he’d snitch and my rent would go up. After that I would be out on the street. See it’s all this bull crap chain reaction” I informed. Sam just shook his ok and closed his open mouth. I walked around him and to the bedroom to shower and get ready for dinner. While I was showering and all that jazz,
I couldn’t stop thinking about Michael and the whole day. Then again what girl in her right mind could? Once I was done and at the stove cooking spaghetti I remembered I had papers to fill out. “Hey Sam? Could you get those papers John gave me out and bring them over here? Their in my bag. Thanks.” I yelled from the kitchen. Sam was watching cartoons, again. He got up slowly, afraid he would miss something, and walked to my room and brought the papers to me. I set them on the counter to fill out. Putting the spaghetti on simmer I pulled a pen out of the drawer then began answering.


Question 1: What do you like to do in your spare time?
- Watch cartoons and dance. Occasionally sing.
Question 2: How committed will you be to this?
- Very. I’m an extremely driven person, always striving for perfection.
Question 3: Can you practice whenever you’re needed to?
- Yes. My boss is totally behind one hundred percent. She’ll be flexible.
Question 4: How long have you been dancing or performing?
- Since I was four, so I guess almost twenty years.

They went on to ask about my medical history and my family’s medical history ECT… The last question was the one that stumped me.


Question 5: Why is Michael Jackson your idol or hero?

I thought about that for a second. I’d had all these feelings, belief’s, and words, but I’d never put them down on paper. Finally I answered:

- I believe that deep down inside he’s just like us. Someone that longs for a companion, someone who desires a life that’s normal. He’s a musical genius who never heard praise enough when it mattered. A man that has a certain something that just can’t be explained. His pain and resentment is something I share. Whenever I desperately need a friend or someone his music is there to remind me that there is still beauty in the world. He’s desires to be young and have a childhood like myself as well. I can relate to him more than anyone else ever could. His determination is unlike anything I’ve seen except within my own self.



I tried to answer the question as best as I knew how. I only hoped that my answer was good enough. Once I was done I looked up at Sam as I had an idea. “Do you want to go with me tomorrow morning to get extra practice in for the tryouts? It’s going to be a lot earlier than today.” I warned him. He stood there for a second then just shook his head yes.
I set my alarm for 6:00 am. We’d finished eating and were in bed trying to sleep. Even on a second night it was still hard as ever to get some sort of rest. This night I dreamt, I’m walking around in a mirrored room that’s vaguely lit. I then begin to hear a soft piano playing and I can’t seem to find the root of where it’s being played. Suddenly a man walks out of the darkness towards me. I can’t make out a face, but he’s tall, skinny yet muscular, he smelt of sweet oak and cinnamon. He and I begin dancing, and then I wake up to my alarm blasting. I trudged out of bed; take in consideration my adrenaline was not pumping like yesterday. Groaning I dug through my clothes and pulled out whatever I happened to think matched at this hour.
After that I made my self coffee in the kitchen in an effort to wake me up. “Sam! Wake up; it’s time to get ready!” I moaned. He tossed and turned on the couch trying to gain consciousness. I heard a thump and realized he’d fallen off the couch altogether. “I’m okay. I’m up Sydney. Give me a second”, he said stumbling while getting up and rambling. I laughed tiredly and went on getting ready. I walked into the bathroom and turned on the cold water. Then I splashed it on face took really wake me. “Hell! That’s cold!” I yelled. Brushing my teeth, grabbing my bag, keys, and Sam we left the apartment. I put Sam on my back and walked to the building. As we entered I heard this snorting sound next to my ear. Sam was asleep and snoring on my shoulder, luckily he wasn’t drooling.
I walked through the building with him and the clock in the lobby read, 7:00 am. The elevator doors rang and we entered, I tried to push the button to the top floor without waking him up on my shoulder. He switched sides and then groaned, “I have to pee, Syd”. I huffed, “Why didn’t you do this at the apartment?” Sam just cleared his throat and replied, “I forgot. I’m sleepy”. We reached the floor and I walked to the right where the studio was. By some weird fate the bathroom was about eight steps from the studio door. I sat Sam and showed where the bathroom was, “Hurry up; I’m going to be in the room getting ready. Kay?” I asked. He shook his head yes. I pulled the doors open and entered. I stopped in my tracks, half the room was lit and the other half wasn’t! “How weird”, I whispered. Then out of no where I heard someone whisper a “Hey”! I jerked around towards the dark part of the studio and jumped ten feet in the air. Let me explain how I reacted, I yanked one leg in the air then trailed the other behind that one. While doing that I put both my hands up to the side making claws. Someone started cackling crazily and the fear was replaced with annoyance. “Ha, ha, ha! Who’s there?” I asked sarcastically. Michael Jackson fell out from the darkness laughing. “I’m sorry….I couldn’t help it….. It looked so easy”, he barely pushed through the laughing.
I froze, was he really talking to me? What was happening? I’m dreaming! “No….no problem”, I stuttered. He calmed down and brushed his pants off from falling to the ground. “So where’s the little guy?” Michael asked. Just as I was about to answer Sam busted in. “Sydney! That bathroom is so big!” he exclaimed. I just rolled my eyes and Michael giggled. This once again made me jittery inside and I wanted to blush so badly. “Hey Michael”, Sam greeted. “Hey back, Sam”, Michael replied. Then he turned to me and jumped, “Oh I’m sorry. How rude of me. Sydney? Sam talks a lot about you”, Michael informed. I smiled nonchalantly, “Well he tends to I hope it wasn’t bad” I replied.
Michael shook his head no. “What times does everyone get here?” Sam asked spontaneously. “About 9:30am. We’ve got sometime. Why are you here so early?” Michael asked. “I could ask you the same thing, but I think it’s pretty much the same answer. I wanted to get here early for extra practice and you wanted time to yourself”, I replied bluntly. “Good answer. Do you really feel like dancing?” he asked shyly, but genuinely curious. “Mister, I could dance all day. Right now though, not really. Besides, I don’t think twerp over here has regained full consciousness”, we both laughed at my response. “Actually I was wondering if we could just sit and talk. I rarely ever get to do that these days”, Michael sighed. I gave an ‘are you insane? You don’t have to ask!’ look. “Of course! Talking is my specialty!” I chirped. “Great. C’mon Sam, you come too”, Michael said happily.
End Notes:
I write this for you and for Michael. 642 reads and 8 reviews...cha-mon people! PLEASE REVIEWS!!
Chapter 7 by Thrillergirl93
“Michael, you go first”, I commanded. “Okay, what’s the story with you two?” he asked gesturing between Sam and I. “Let me take this one, Syd. I got it”, Sam said smoothly. I gestured for him to continue like I was an idiot and he was a genius. Sam explained everything to Michael, how he lived on the street, when I found him, taking him in, shopping, and all right up to this very day. Michael sat there listening intently on what Sam was saying. “Wow, Sydney that’s amazing”, Michael said shocked. I blushed and smiled.
“Thanks, he’s a great kid”, I replied. “I’m just in total awe that you actually did that!” he exclaimed. Michael nodded his head toward us for our question to him. “Before I do, since there’s two of us”, I gestured from Sam to me, “that means two questions for you.” I said. He paused for a moment, “Fair. Continue”. I asked the first question, “Don’t you ever get tired of working and just wanna have some fun?” He looked at me deeply, his chocolate eyes, brown complexion, dark curly hair all became so noticeable up close. Michael Jackson was face to face with me, still can’t grasp that. He answered my question, “Oh yes. Sometimes I just wanna run to some playground for just five minutes and be a kid.
I desperately do”. When he said this his face had this pleading look. I wanted to yank him up and drag him to the playground at Central Park that very second. I hoped that Sam’s question was a more positive one. “What’s your favorite game?” Sam asked. Michael simply smiled and replied, “That’s easy, hide and seek.
I love that game”. Sam’s face lit up like a Christmas tree. “That’s mine too!” he exclaimed. Michael and I laughed at the same time, he glanced at me for a second or two then continued to ask his question. “Okay to the both of you, what’s your favorite food?” Michael asked. Sam was first to jump in, “Simple, I’ll eat anything! I love food.” I nodded my head dramatically and Michael looked at me waiting for my answer. “Hmmm… sushi, Mexican, fried chicken, Big Mac, that’s just at the top of my head. I’ll pretty much try anything at least once”, I said very chill. He smiled, “I love a lot of those foods.” Sam interjected, “To both of you, what’s your favorite type of movie?” With out a second hesitation Michael and I answered, “Disney!” We looked at each other and gave a high five while giggling. Deep down I wanted to scream my head off, how many people could say that they’ve done exactly what I’m doing now?
Not many. The rest of the time we talked about silly, crazy things we’ve done, he told me how much of a fan he was of my routine and my dancing. I almost fainted. I told him how much of a big fan I was of him for everything. He laughed shyly and thanked me. Michael tried to teach Sam the ‘Beat It’ dance that made us all laugh so hard our sides hurt, including Sam as well.
This was really happening; I, Sydney Lee Richards was having fun with the Michael Jackson with no one else, but an eleven and a half year old. I still couldn’t fathom the reality of it. My fantasy made reality was ended, too soon if you ask me. I wanted it to last forever, but dancers started pouring in. All three of us had discouragement plastered on our faces. Finally John, Michael Peters, and the woman entered. They took their seats and Michael did along with them. Once everyone was present we began stretching. Sam sat against the wall watching and he eventually fell back asleep on my bag.
As I was stretching I heard a voice, “So what’s your story?” I looked up confused thinking it came from behind me. “Over here Hun.” Then I looked to my right and some girl with short choppy blond hair and brown eyes was staring at me. “Are you talking to me?” I asked. She rolled her eyes, “Of course. Who else would I be talking to?” ‘Geez, attitude much?’ I thought. “It’s a long story”, I said bluntly.
“Sure there is. Get to blabbing”, she replied again with an attitude. I just acted like I barely noticed her, “Not really.” I walked away pretending to have something more important to do. Michael Peters called us all over for something important and I must admit, I was nervous as hell. “ Everyone form a straight line and when I call your name I want you to take a step back out of formation” Michael (Peters) commanded. I knew it, here comes the final cast. I bent my head down and closed my eyes, hoping for the best.
I heard name after name before Michael finally reached the end of the list. After he did I realized then that my name had not been spoken and I was still standing in line. Then Michael (Peters) cleared his throat and began to speak. “I’m sorry to say this, but the ones that stepped back did not make it. We do, however, appreciate you coming out. Thank you”, with that he walked back to his seat. I snapped my head back up I couldn’t believe it, I made it! Without a second thought as soon as it hit me I’d made it I jumped in the air and screamed. “Yes! Yes! I made it!” I finished with a grunting sound of success.
It didn’t matter though, everyone else who made was cheering just like me. I turned to Sam, who was awake now, and gave thumbs up, he returned just as excited as me. When I turned back I glanced at Michael who was smiling at me! I gave him a little ‘happy dance’ which made him chuckle that perfect chuckle I love.
Once the dancers who didn’t make it left and the others who did make it calmed down. Michael Peters got up and spoke. “Since you all are the conclusive, final dancers I have some news for you. The video we’re making is for the song ‘Thriller’ ”, he said adding extra emphasis to the title. I was so stoked, I love that song! We started clapping and making party sounds. “ This is not a glamour gig.
It’s gonna be uncomfortable makeup, dentures in your mouth, and twelve hours of being really weird looking. Here’s a schedule for practice times”, he said handing out some papers, “Yes some are at an extremely early time, but we need to get as much time in as possible. If there’s nothing else to be said please drop your information sheets on the table in front of me. Thank you” Michael Peters nodded and turned to sit back down.
A second later Michael (Jackson) stood up and cleared his throat to speak, “I just wanna say that I’m really excited to work with all of you”, he said that part and glanced at me, “I hope that you’ll be as dedicated as I will. This is going to be a great video. Thanks”. We clapped and cheered then went to get our stuff to leave. I turned to walk toward my bag and Sam came up to me ecstatic, “Syd, you made it! Are you excited?” I looked at him calmly, “Mmmm…” I trailed off.
Then I yanked him up and screamed, “Yes!! Sam I made it!” I sat him down and we skipped to my bag and picked it up and made our way to the door. Then I felt Sam pull my arm. “Aren’t we going to say bye?” he asked. Suddenly this puppy dog look crept up on his face. I mentally slapped myself, “Shoot, of course we can. Where is he?” ‘I’m such a ditz’ I thought while I scanned the room looking for Michael. All these random backup girls were talking to him and for some reason I was jealous.
We paced our way to him and waited till’ anyone decided to take a breath so we could speak. Finally Sam got annoyed and jumped in. “Hey, Michael!” he screamed. Thank God for this kid, it’s okay for kids to get mad. He glanced down at Sam and immediately excused himself from the crowd. “Sam and I just wanted to say bye. We didn’t want to seem rude.” I assured him. “Oh of course not. Well it was nice getting to know both of you.” he said and smiled. Gosh, he had some brown eyes. They were so chocolaty; I loved them and couldn’t stop staring. “You both should come over sometime. We could watch movies and eat popcorn. Ya know, a movie night.
Would you want to?” Michael invited. Sam answered immediately while I was still in a mental shock. “Would we ever?” ,he replied excitedly, “Could we Sydney, oh please?” Michael laughed a bit and I stuttered ,but somehow managed to push out a yes. “Then it’s official, movie night. When can you come over?” Michael asked. I could hear the anticipation in his voice.
I thought for a second, “Well today is Sunday, I have to work tomorrow. We could come over when I get off?” I asked hopeful. “Sure. I can’t wait. What time?” Michael asked. “ Six good?” I asked and he shook his head yes. I gave him my address and apartment number. “Great. Well we’d better get going” I said and turned to leave.
Chapter 8 by Thrillergirl93
As Sam and I entered the elevator I just couldn’t believe this was happening! Any sane person would’ve woken up by now which I guess that either meant I wasn’t sane or this was real; personally I like the second one. Then suddenly I felt a nudge in my side and I looked down to see Sam winking at me.
“So, what are you thinking about?”, He asked sarcastically. I retaliated, “ I’m thinking about what kind of prank I’m going to do to you when you’re sleeping”! His jaw dropped as the fear hit him and I just laughed. “I’m kidding I promise!

I’m pondering about what I’m going to wear tomorrow” I said, daydreaming at the last part. Sam just got this ‘ewww’ look on his face and dropped the subject. We walked through the lobby and I saw the little, snobby, butler guy at the desk. “Hey little buddy! See ya Tuesday, you better be here!” I said laughing and walking outside. As we exited I looked at Sam, “Walk?” I asked, he shrugged.

I figured we could walk anyway since it wasn’t too chilly. We strolled down the street and I muttered, “Thank you”. Sam looked up and replied, “Huh?”, “I said, thank you.” he looked confused for a second, “For what?”, he asked. I simply spoke, “For everything. You’ve been my backbone through this and we haven’t known each other but a week.” He grinned and confidently replied, “T ‘was nothing’. No worries, I gotcha back”. We bounced down the street, both completely and utterly content. As we unlocked the door I strutted over to call Mrs. Chung and let her in on all the little details of my weekend.
I told her about Sam, my tryouts, that I’d made it and of course my get together with The King of Pop himself. She freaked out, speaking all kinds of words in her native language. “Oh my! Little girl, how you deal with all this? Geez!”, she screamed excitedly. “Is it okay if I bring the kid?” I asked. She gasped, “Of course!

I need him to try some of my new recipes!” I rolled my eyes, she was always making costumers try her cooking. And even though she’d never had a bad batch yet, there was always speculation with me. After we talked I realized Sam and I should be hitting the sack so I hung up and got ready for bed. Since it was so hard to sleep I let Sam sleep with me and we whispered about what could happen, what I should wear, what I should and how I should act. This boy was proving to be almost like a carbon copy of me, only boy. I guess my life couldn’t get any better, this is it.
Chapter 9 by Thrillergirl93
My alarm blasted once more like it does every morning I drug my arm up to hit the snooze button for some extra time. In doing so I fell completely off the bed and hit with a loud thud! Sam sprung up half conscious just as I got up from the floor. I kept muttering “I’m okay” and let out a huge groan. Trudging down the hall, looking like I’d just survived a tornado, I reached the kitchen to poor me a cup of salvation (aka: coffee).

As I was taking the first sip Sam walked in yawning just as I had moments before. “Where do you work?” he asked out of the blue. It took me a minute to grasp what he’d asked since it was such a random question and was extremely tired. “I work at a costume shop in China Town” I replied groggily taking another sip. He yawned, “That’s cool”. I rolled my eyes at the fact that he had no idea the level of boredom he was about to experience. We got dressed and headed out to the shop. I hailed a taxi considering the circumstances of this morning and my inability to walk more than five steps without stumbling somewhat. The taxi pulled over and this time the inside was pretty decent, but like I said it’s a New York City taxi. Luckily today was going to be pretty warm according to weather predictions. Sam stared groggily out the cab window and gradually began to doze off.

I checked my watch which read eleven am and to me this was still pretty early. Because of the traffic we arrived at the store in about thirty minutes. I leaned over to Sam and whispered, “Wake up sleepy head, we’re here”. He rubbed his eyes and grunted a little, trying to wake up. Reaching forward I paid the driver and slid out of the car with Sam following me. Once the cab pulled off I grabbed Sam’s hand and we entered the store. The door bell chimed as we made our way inside. “Hello? Anybody home?” I yelled to the back. I heard a loud clang then some muttered profanity. I silently chuckled to myself as Sam’s face went from boredom to troubled. I gently nudged him and smiled to give reassurance.
Mrs. Chung walked out from behind the curtain that was placed up to separate the storage room from the actual store. “Yeah, I’m here”, She replied. I stepped forward and ushered Sam to follow so that I could introduce them. “ Mrs. Chung, Sam. Sam, Mrs. Chung”. She looked at him for a moment than sighed, “So I guess this means I’m gonna have to find you some work around here to do”. Sam looked to me then back to Mrs. Chung, “Yes ma’m”, he replied. “Well at least you have manners”, she replied with relief, “so many children these lack that characteristic. Follow me to the back”.
As Sam trailed behind her I assumed my everyday position, the front desk. Glamorous I know ,but that’s my job. After about thirty minutes of absolutely nothing Sam emerged from the back with a box and Mrs. Chung following. “I want you to re-stock this entire shelf. Everything you need is in this box”, with that Mrs. Chung turned and went back behind the curtain. I glanced at Sam while smiling, “How are doing’?” He turned his head slowly and gave me a irritated look. I couldn’t help but chuckle as he turned back and began stocking the shelf. I began picking up some old magazines to read in an effort to pass the ever long time that I had left. After about forty minutes I heard the bell on the door ring which meant someone was entering. I looked up from the article about teen drinking to see a small girl standing in the doorway. She was wearing nothing but black and covered with studs, spikes, and other sharp objects.
I caught Sam’s eye and ushered for him to go to the back as it wasn’t professional to have him there at that time. “Can I help you”? I asked. She turned her head slowly, “No”. “Well let me know if I can”, I replied. She paced the store silently and after twenty minutes she approached the counter with some makeup, jewelry, and hair color. I rang it up, “That’ll be $15.50.” She pulled a twenty out of her pocket and told me to keep the change as she exited the store. “That was freaky”, I thought out loud.
Chapter 10 by Thrillergirl93
Author's Notes:
I love critisim. Remember I do this you all.
More hours of almost unbearable boredom passed before it was finally time to clock out early. My hands shook with anticipation as I stamped my card. “Sam! It’s time to go”, I called to the back. Once he exited I could tell Mrs. Chung had worked him nearly to death. I was so stoked about my date tonight. I was almost unable to wrap my mind around the thought that I had a meeting with Michael Jackson, it was so far fetched.
Hugging Mrs. Chung I turned to leave the store. The sound of cars zooming by and honking their horns brought a small comfort to my already shot nerves.

I hailed a taxi and it seemed to take forever to get to my apartment. We dashed out of the cab, up the stairs and into my complex. “Oh my gosh, Sam! What am I gonna wear?”, I screamed darting to my closet. Flinging outfit after outfit on to the floor it seemed that nothing I owned could live up to the high standards for tonight. A thought struck me, awhile back I had bought a great pair or skinny jeans that were a size too small. I’d stashed in the bottom of my closet in hopes I might lose some weight and fit into them.
I prayed hard as I dug for them. Once found I flung my bottoms off and found it was a snug, but perfect fit! “Sam! What time is it?”, I yelled. A few seconds passed.. “Five! Why?”, he asked. We had just enough time for me to buy a new top. “We’re goin’ shopping!”, I replied. The limo wasn’t to be here until six and there was a store right around the corner. I already knew what I wanted, there was a tank top dressed in sequins on display in the front the other day.

I ran down to the store, when I say ‘ran’ I mean sprinted. twelve dollars and fifty cents for a freakin’ top! I couldn’t believe it. But I guess fashion isn’t cheap and right now I did not care. I grabbed a gray blazer, my white Reebok high tops and set them out. The clock read five forty five. “Ughh!”, I groaned out loud. Teasing my hair took about ten minutes and I had no choice but to go with base and mascara for makeup. All this time Sam just sat there on my couch watching cartoons.

Then my heart stopped, the buzzer went off. The limo was here, “AHHH!”, I screamed running over to the box to let them know I was on my way down. “Yes. We’re coming down”, I said very chill. Sam was still just a cool as ever, clearly he did not grasp the significance of tonight’s engagement. We sat slid into the limo, it smelt of clean leather and candy.
I understood why because across from us was a huge thing of candy. “Compliments of Mr. Jackson”, the limo driver said referring to the candy. Sam flew to the other side stuffin’ his face. “Hey! Save me some twerp!”, I said and sat next to him munching on candy. This was so cool I thought. How many girls would kill to have this spot? I adjusted my body and got comfortable for the ride.
Chapter 11 by Thrillergirl93
The ride was so smooth I hadn’t felt us stop until the door was opened for and we exited. I lost my breath when I caught sight of where we were. ‘His’ house, Michael Jackson’s home, at least the one in New York. I can’t even describe the magic that I was suddenly exposed to as I stepped out of the car.
I’m sure you can use your imagination. I had to catch my breath before it ran away with my heartbeat at the excitement that pulsed through my body. A man waited at the circling door to greet us. "Evening Miss" , the suited gentlemen said. I just nodded my head and continued in. "We could really have some fun with those doors", Sam said gesturing to the circling doors. Inside was so beautiful, covered with gold lining and angel statues everywhere.There were chandeliers hanging from the ceiling and people with fur coats and flashy jewelry exiting and entering everywhere. The room was full of like six elevators and stairs.

Like a maze of richness, I did not expect this. The place screamed high price.” Sam? Where do we go?", I asked unsure. He just shrugged his shoulders and gave me a look like how could I expect him to know. 'Great! Now what are we gonna do?', I thought, aggravated. I was already nervous and now I was lost. I went to the front desk to ask the clerk knowing I'd sound crazy, but hoping not enough to be locked up. " Uhhh, hi. My name is Sydney and this is Sam. We're here visiting someone whose living here right now...", I trailed off. I just couldn’t spit the words since it was still surreal to me. "Name?", the clerk asked.

I grunted and then began to spell hesitantly, "M-i-c-h-a-e-l J-a-c-k-..", "OH! You're expected." , he said before I could finish. I felt so relieved even though the sudden burst of realization made me jump. A man dressed in a suit came up to us as we were to be escorted to the elevator and up to the room. Once inside a solo violin began to play. Sam just stood there quiet, for once. While in the elevator I began to daydream....


*** "Dancin', Dancin' Dancin'! She's a dancin' machine.." I was listening to my vinyl I'd gotten two years ago and waiting for my friends to arrive. I could just imagine myself outta high school, dancing with Michael Jackson. A girl can only dream right? Up on stage with him, on Soul Train groovin' with the Jackson's... Finally I just couldn't take it any longer, I'm 17 and a Senior! I knew what I wanted to do...."Hey whatcha doin'?", Lillith said as she walked right into my room. "I'm going to college for dance!", I said. ***


I was snapped out of my daydream with the opening of the elevator doors. But I didn't realize until I was there that elevators went to a room. The doors closed behind Sam and I as we stepped out. There were white walls, and hardwood floors that were so shiny you could see yourself in the reflection. It looked so pristine...'This is it', I thought.
Chapter 12 by Thrillergirl93
Author's Notes:
hit me up on facebook to keep up with what I am doing and to remind me to write. :)
Sam just ran into the place like he owned it, I on the other hand slowly and quietly stepped in. There was a closet to my right and on forward the kitchen to my right. Across from the kitchen the tv room where Sam was jumping on the couch. “Sam! Quit, this isn’t our house!”, I whispered hurriedly and looked around for Michael. He stuck his tongue out and continued to ‘snoop’ around.

“I wonder what’s down here?”, he asked gesturing to the hallway that was draped with darkness. “I don’t know but sit down. Please”, I said as I took my seat on the couch. Sam obviously ignored me and continued down the hall, but I guess little children are just too curious sometimes.
If he wanted to get in trouble that was fine by me, I was sure Michael wouldn’t want some random child wandering through his home.
I must have sat there for a good ten minutes in silence in my own thoughts before I realized I heard nothing, I got up to glance down the hall. There was no sound, just eerie silence and dark. I crept down the hall whispering for Sam. Trying every door knob gently only finding them locked. ’Oh please don’t let me get in trouble’ , I thought. I eventually made my way to the very last door which to my complete surprise was open slightly. I slid in trying to find a light switch which didn’t happen. I stood there for a minute just listening. Then I heard the floor creak behind me.
I spun around when the lights flashed on only to find a zombie staring me dead in the face. “AHHHH!!”, I screamed backing up and closing my eyes. I tripped over my own feet and began to fall. I felt someone’s arm wrap around me in a pointless effort to keep me up and we crashed on soft cushion. Once I was sure everything calmed down I slowly opened my eyes to find the most brown chocolate staring right into mine. I was lost, it was like they were searching my soul.
My breath was stolen from me as my heart raced so fast it must have skipped twenty beats. The smell of cinnamon filled my nostrils, I was suddenly yanked back into reality when I heard a soft worried voice ask if I was okay. “Yeah”, I whispered. “Good”, he replied. Michael’s face and mine were inches away and we must have laid there, him on top of me and me in his arms, for what felt like forever. “Hahahahahaha, oh Michael you got her so good that time!”, Sam came in laughing. We quickly got off the bed and headed down the hall. I couldn’t believe I could even walk.

We made our way to the living room couch, Sam took a seat on the floor. Michael sat in front of the television looking in a cabinet pulling out movies. “We have Peter Pan, Mickey Mouse, and E.T,”, Michael suggested. “Peter Pan”, I replied. “What‘s Peter Pan?”, Sam asked. Michael’s jaw dropped, “Hold your horses little man, you will see”. Michael plugged the video tape in and took a spot next to me on the couch. I put my head and smiled widely in secret. I was sure this would be a fun night. As the movie went on it go to the part when Wendy is singing to all the lost boys and I felt something warm cover my hand. Without moving my head I slowly glanced down to find Michael’s upon mine. I could have died right there and been a happy woman. I turned my hand over we intwined our fingers.
This was definitely a great night. Once the movie was over Sam and I left and we took a taxi home. The whole way home I was in utter heaven, I could not stop smiling and I fell asleep smiling.
This story archived at http://www.mjfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=29