Childhood by KindnessisEternal
Summary:

A one-shot short story based off of Michael's song "Childhood"


Categories: One Shot, Angst, Song Fics Characters: None
General Warnings: None
Trigger Warnings: None
Challenges: None
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 872 Read: 1300 Published: Mar 22, 2010 Updated: Mar 22, 2010
Story Notes:

This was a oneshot fic for a Michael Jackson video
challenge. Basically we write a story around the
theme or story of the video. I picked 'Childhood'

1. Chapter 1 by KindnessisEternal

Chapter 1 by KindnessisEternal
Midnight at Neverland Valley Ranch was warm and calm, the rain staying far off into the mountains. A few fair weather clouds bobbed by, not obscuring the full moon that had taken full possession of the sky.

There was one lone mansion that stood in this valley, occupied by one lonely man. Tonight, this individual stood on the spacious back porch of his home and glanced
out, his 5'9'' frame leaning against a large wood pillar, a few strands of his Peter Pan haircut tussled by the light wind. In front of him was a child would dream of having in his backyard, numerous carnival rides, a menagerie of animals, and a personal movie theater. Yet with all of this, he was not happy. People called him weird, a recluse that hung around children to recapture his childhood. These horrible accusations came not from his family and friends, but from the media that seemed to trail his every move, his every action.

The tall figure, wearing a blue shirt, a tan sweater over it and gray slacks, longingly looked off into the not so distant forest, it's tree line seeming to disappear into the night with his saddened brown eyes. He just wanted to escape into that dense sea of trees. As much as this place was his sanctuary,the words of criticism flooded his thoughts. Suddenly he ran, first onto the pre-laid path of the grounds, then into the grass, soft blades brushing his ankles.

He heard a masculine voice calling “Michael! Michael!” from a distance, but ignored it as the lawn soon turned into rocky terrain the tall pines now surrounding him in every direction. The man named Michael tripped and fell over roots as he sprinted, picking himself up each time. At last, he stumbled on a rock and slammed face first into the dirt, scrapping his hands on the ground. His stomach lurched as tears began to careen down his obscured face.

Why couldn't leave him alone? He was tired of it all. The incorrect assertions about his private life, the sneers and jokes towards him that grew like wildfire. He just wanted to be happy, to be free of the pressures of his life as a celebrity musician that he had been since the age of five.

Michael grudgingly got to his feet and dragged his weary body to a fallen tree stump that was illuminated by moonlight. Staring up to the sparkling sky whispered,“Have you seen my childhood?”

In his mind's eyes he could see what few people his own age could not because of their lost their innocence. Michael saw the little white sailboats crossing the night sky on a small wave of cloud drifts. The one thing he never got to do as a child, to star up into the sky and daydream. There was never time for him in between his constant traveling and singing. Michael had friends except for his brothers, none his age. His closest friends were those adults whom he looked up to. After returning home to Gary Indiana, the older boys of the Jackson Five would play basketball with their friends and go have fun. Michael bore the biggest burden as lead singer continued to practice his singing and dancing. Often he wondered what his future would be if he had not had this or any other talent.

Michael watched as a girl and boy ran in on the path, their heads raised to the sky to watch the sailboats pass by. Above them, the children sat with beloved pets such as dogs or cats, or played patty-cake with their friends or dreamily let their hands touch the tops of the trees.

Some kids were dressed up as cowboys and Indians, and played baseball, enjoying the youthful innocence that Michael had never experienced.He hadn't had any friends as a child, most were jealous that he had gotten so rich, plus he never had time with all the training and then traveling that he and his brothers did.

As he grew up, Michael valued a child's purity to the evils of the world. They had a optimistic view of everything around them. Some were even intelligent and gifted, with potentials that adults would overlook. The children in the world suffered terribly being forced to grow up, to have parents that were too busy for them or simply did not acknowledge their talents at all. Even worse, there were kids dying simply from the lack of proper food and water, from diseases that were simple to treat or even to prevent. These children, so bright and the leaders of what would come in the future, in his mind should never have to suffer. That is why he made Neverland...not only to recapture his own lost childhood,but to give one to those who might never have a chance enjoy it.

The words of the media meant little to him as long as he remembered what he was here for....to sing, and to bring joy and happiness by improving their lives.

Looking up into the heavens at a shooting star and
closing his eyes, Michael made one wish: Before you judge me, try heard to love me, the painful youth I had.


END
This story archived at http://www.mjfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=21