Date: Mar 04, 2015 11:43 pm Title: Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens
Michael has human flaws.
The commas are largely where they should be and the words are spelled (at least for the most part) as they should be (unless the character is speaking in slang). >>>>
The author shows, not tells. **Yaaaaaaaaaaas
I feel like I have a better sense of Michael from having read the story. (How I feel after finishing ADD, etc)
Hurray for fun stories!! I like stories that inspire me to get on their level. I like feeling like the bar has been raised and I need to try my best to match it. We as writers should support and challenge each other everyday. (That might sound like I'm talking about competing, but I mean it in just a purely inspirational way.)
LOL. Did you read them both? I think that is what drew me to that story the most. I felt like I was getting schooled - in a good way. The figures stayed in character, everyone screwed up once or twice, and the drama wasn't out of control.
Date: Mar 01, 2015 08:14 pm Title: Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens
Lovely! Thank you for all the tips. I just caught up! Now to update my own chapter with a burst of new inspiration. (:
Thank you for checking back in :) I saw your story and I'm eager to read it once it grows a bit. Very interesting summary!
Date: Mar 01, 2015 07:57 pm Title: Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens
I agree with HoneyToTheBee..I love supernatural..(I suppose you could blame it on the loads of anime I watch)..it's one of the only exceptions where I feel Michael could get away with being evil enough to kidnap someone or like threatening to banish them somewhere for being disobedient but he has to turn good eventually. ^^
That last note is critical, imo. The transition would just have to be natural.
Date: Mar 01, 2015 08:47 am Title: Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens
Oh Boy so many things make me light up...
1)Like you the update is a winner. I'm always excited when My favs update.
2)When the author is engaging. I like to read the responses to my reviews.
3)The moments that make me talk to myself out loud (in a good way)
4)The awwe moment for me as well.
5)When Michael and the OG meshes so well when the relationship starts to build.
6)The gasp and blush...when a sex scene is so well executed I have that burn in my cheeks and I clutch the invisible pearls around my neck.
7)A good supporting cast. I like when the OG and Michael both have interests outside of each other.
8)Suspence and a well executed explainations to it. Something that makes me fiend for the next chapter.
I'm sure there is more but I can't think of them all right now. Lol. I just love being engaged not only with the story but with the author as well. I like when I feel comfortable enough with the authors and the readers of my stories that I can joke with them without them feeling any offense or be flippant. Thank goodness most of the people I deal with here get my sense of humor. Laughing and joking makes me feel lighter and is essential to life. If I say man I can't stand you!!! Just know I mean the complete opposite. I say that to people who I really like.
As an author of 2 fics here what makes me feel light is if I'm able to draw people seamlessly into my story. Make them feel so engaged in it that they invest emotionally in the characters like I do and it reflects in their reviews of each chapter I post. I always engage with my readers!! Oh and I feel absolutely light when the authors I love reading read my stories as well and we bond through reviews. Love that.
As for stories here that have me by the preverbal balls... They're too many to name so I will name the authors
fenderjazzkid: I lose it when she updates. Her writing is so real to me. That's ma boo
HoneyToTheBee: Michaela is the bomb!!! Creepy Internet love Michaela!! Lmao she knows what I'm talking about.
BrandyandMJ: love love love!
Zendaya : that's my BB
Jazii: even tho she hasn't updated in a while. She's my girl from way way back on MJJB
so many fics make me light up!! I would be over flowing this post if I don't curve myself lol. (If I missed anyone it wasn't on purpose)
I trust you will be giving us a "When The dog bites and the bees sting..." Chapter as well. Lol. (I have a few lines to drop in that post if it ever happens lmao) ;)
As for the Genres post I can't wait to see what you share with us! I have complete trust that you will be thorough!
Love and appreciate this post!
More soon <333
The authors: Jazii totally needs to update more. I'm waiting for Gabby's next update lol.
You and Michaela came to mind when I wrote about authors encouraging each other. You guys have the lovin' of a fairly clean RP going, but neither of you have to be Michael (thank gawd).
Hmm. I hadn't considered such a thread. I'd like to do it, but I can imagine the bitterness I might evoke from some authors...
2) YES. And not just "thank you" if I write something of substance.
I just laugh and joke regardless. If someone takes offense, I'll just be wary of that author. The only time I take offense is when it's a passive aggressive joke/statement. I make time for this, but I won't for that.
Genres is coming. I've got 3 to-dos before I start working on that.
Date: Feb 28, 2015 11:04 pm Title: Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens
1. I agree here of course unless its clear the author means to create an OOC Michael.
2,3. Totally agree.
4. Is negotiable. I've never seen this here, but I'd never read a parody fic that makes fun of him in a mean spirited way. On the other hand, some people consider it disrespect when you take Michael's character and turn him into something evil. I'm ok with that. It's all in good fun.
10. I like pictures. But I don't need to see every outfit and house, and club that the characters go to.
11-23. Yes Yes Yes
24. I don't really worry about things like that. I love supernatural fics. I may eventually write a twisted modern day take on a Maestro fic.
28. I never have written a bad or semi bad review but I think I might start lol. There are so many times when I want to be like Really!? Come on! I can't read this block of text! Space this shit out!
The rest agreed. I'll add what I like the most in a story is when the characters don't necessarily like each other in the beginning. I like watching the OG and Michael grow to like each other and then the moment that they finally kiss or whatever I get that AWWW!!
Another thing I like is character development from bad to good. I like seeing an evil or mean Michael get changed into the good guy we all know he was. All the progression in between and that moment that he's finally nice to the OG AWWW!!
1. Agreed. I considered adding an OOC point, but I'm concerned by how many qualifiers I'd have to add. It would be something like "When an author does OOC well, staying within the confines of all of the rules that I personally place around OOC, is well-written, and doesn't overly offend me". For instance, in the beginning "Heist" is beyond my OOC acceptance of MJ, but AtMJsHouse gradually makes him less OOC as the story unfolds.
4. I honestly question some people. I do believe that one's own demons plays into how stories unfold, so while they may love MJ, the way it is written can still be outright disturbing. Here are some cases I've seen on here: Michael as serial rapist, an author who describes herself as deriving pleasure from putting MJ in the "sickest" and most humiliating situations possible, Michael injecting his wife with heroin, Michael having sex with his sisters.
10. To each her own :) I do agree about every outfit, house, pair of shoes, facial expression, club, appearance.....
24. If the premise is sci-fi, than it makes sense. If it suddenly becomes sci-fi, seemingly without planning, warning, or intention?
28. I've written that lol. I have no problem writing a half positive-half negative review. My goal is never to be mean...if I feel it is going that way, I will delete all of my comments on that story before I'll post it. I do see posting a story publicly as both requesting that readers enjoy it, and that they give feedback. Otherwise, why share it? A number of FF writers have attained deals with one of the major publishing houses.....my thought is that if one even wants to entertain such success, they must better their writing.
Ooh, I agree with both of your points. For sure. Off the top of my head, "Jerk" and your Bad era story came to mind. InLoveWith... was doing that beautifully with "Devil's Kiss" on here, but then she stopped posting. I think she needed more reviewers :/ The transition must be gradual and natural, though. All three of you attained that ;)
Btw - did you try to join mjje? I got word that someone with your name tried, but the email address was invalid...
Date: Feb 28, 2015 08:05 pm Title: Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens
Well what do you know? got internet service on this ship.
Oh, what makes me smile..that's a very good question.
1. When the fic makes me feel different emotions
2.When I csn tell that the author really loves Michael and the fic is one he (if he were here) and/or his children would love.
3.Even when he has flaws, the flaws are not overlyexaggerated (like for instance if the author cusses way more than Michael ever did so they impose that on him and he's made out to be this vulgar, less than classy person..or a total douche)
4. Making certain OOC portrayals believable.
5.Creating a friendly bond with the author
6. ALL of the canon characters getting fair portrayals whether they're a favorite or not (like not making them worse than they are)
7. Something good coming out of terrible incident
8. Happy endings
9.When the same respected author I am following reviews my fic.
agreed on all of them!
Date: Feb 28, 2015 07:14 pm Title: Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens
Does the author replying to my reviews count as one? I really really enjoy hearing an author reply to my review even though I'm very LOUSY at it with my stories but I'm getting better! Anyway....
I would have to say I agree on:
#29- I love getting the 'awww' feeling for the simply fact it makes me all bubbly inside and I end up smiling at my phone screen like an idiot.
I really really like when an author takes their times and the sex scene is natural. As a reader I don't need a pornographic sex scene sometimes I like the sweet ones that isn't so much talking but just a lot of discription and thoughts. I feel it makes a story better if sometimes they "make love" verses than just having sex.
#7- I feel like those pregnancy scares happen a lot. Especially when the author is at the point where they're writing the climax of the story and something big happens and in the mist of it the OG discovers she pregnant. It's really played out. I'm guilty of it though, i've done it once or twice but I'll never do it again.
#20- Even though you don't write any fanfics on here, your RL job still consists of writing so we all have you to thank when it comes to "becoming better writers". I also have some other people to thank for that also.
#26- YES! It is very easy to know when a writer has given a B.S. chapter. Like me when I try to write updates half asleep!
One of the most important things that make me happy as a reason is that the OG and Michael BOTH truly deserve each other. When they've been through so much B.S. with crazy obsessive ex's or unbelievably unaccepting parents, and even unfaithfulness Its hard for me to picture someone in RL trying to move forward with that person they went through all that stuff with, UNLESS there's a good reason they still have ties with each other and eventually grow strong like a child or something.
- I like stories where Michael has a little bit of a voice. That makes me really happy. He doesn't have to be a smart alec, but some authors don't have to make him a complete wimp. I like when he's able to stand up for himself. Even if it's only a little bit.
Yes it does.
#7 IRL pregnancy scares happen quite often, but I agree, if they happened as often IRL as they do in fanfics, we'd all be in trouble.
I totally agree about him not being a complete wimp. He wasn't a wimp, just ask Eminem, McCartney, or Mottola lol. He just had a different style of dealing with people.